View Poll Results: How should we use our new GL?
Build an army 6 15.00%
Rush Sistine Chapel 12 30.00%
Rush Forbidden Palace 1 2.50%
Rush Sistine if possible, build army if not 15 37.50%
Rush Sistine if possible, build FP if not 3 7.50%
Rush Sistine if possible, save for JS Bach if not 3 7.50%
Rush worker 0 0%
Disband for shields 0 0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 23, 2002, 13:32   #31
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 02:25
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Leader could hit Willsbury THIS turn. Trade for the Tech somehow, and we could use it immediately. Sir Ralph says 2 units needed to prevent flip, fine, put three in there to be safe for 2 turns. Aggies plans for the Military are not taking shape for 2-3 turns anyway, a few knights could sit there for two turns, and meet up with the rest of the army to head south in 3 turns.

I've seen a formula in the Strategy forum, but thought it was for 1.29...

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old September 23, 2002, 14:42   #32
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 03:25
Actually let me officially come out in support of willsbury. That would be perfect, withing 2 turns the border would expand and the city would be safe and we could see enemy troops coming due to culture boundaries.
Generally an awesome scenario.
Aggie
Old September 23, 2002, 15:14   #33
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
Why don't we rush the Sistine in Willsbury? Are we fearing to lose this city, or are there plans to disband it?
Yep, I think it should be moved one tile east, to soak up those shielded grassland tiles that aren't in any city's radius.

But if we can build the Sistine next turn, go for it.
Old September 23, 2002, 15:18   #34
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

But this whole discussion of enemy units being possible north of the road has peaked my interest, so I'm going to run the horse from pasar along the road first thing this turn. We definitely don't want enemy units coming from the north. I have a question did we see any last turn chat or is this gut feeling. either way I think it is wise to be safe. I don't want to risk giving the persians a ga, it likely they will attack our force as we head south, but that is unavoidable, however if a knight or a sword ended right by a immortal and they attacked we would lose a knight AND trigger A Golden Age. I will be very concious of this fact.Knights and horse can do patrol when they have nothing else to do.
Aggie
Old September 23, 2002, 17:29   #35
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 08:25
Ok I voted for the chapel and I think it's the way of the future but it's important to note that it would not effect the cities on uber isle as it is only continental, (I think).
Old September 23, 2002, 18:01   #36
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 10:25
Fortunately, unlike The Art of War, the Sistine Chapel is not a continental wonder.
Yay!!
- Phantom of the Opera
Old September 23, 2002, 18:09   #37
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 10:25
Quote:
Originally posted by Aggie
But this whole discussion of enemy units being possible north of the road has peaked my interest, so I'm going to run the horse from pasar along the road first thing this turn. We definitely don't want enemy units coming from the north. I have a question did we see any last turn chat or is this gut feeling. either way I think it is wise to be safe. I don't want to risk giving the persians a ga, it likely they will attack our force as we head south, but that is unavoidable, however if a knight or a sword ended right by a immortal and they attacked we would lose a knight AND trigger A Golden Age. I will be very concious of this fact.Knights and horse can do patrol when they have nothing else to do.
Aggie
Why not move the knight North (see my ugly map at the top of this page) while the elite horse in Pasargadae upgardes to a veteran knight? We could use another knight when we take Persepolis and Bactra, and we have 190 gold and an income of 59 gold per turn (or 74 if we follow UnOrthOdOx's plan to change all the citizens in Persepolis to taxmen except for one scientist and reduce science rate to 0%, see his thread).
- Phantom of the Opera
Old September 23, 2002, 18:18   #38
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Aggie
I don't want to risk giving the persians a ga,
Aggie
That's an interesting point, if we declared peace with Persia now, they're not exactly in a position to go to war with anyone else thus robbing them of their GA.

I would really like to get The Pyramids and Spice (Persopolis and Arbela) though, we can get the everything else from someone else.
Old September 23, 2002, 19:12   #39
PresidentMike
Chieftain

A quick poll analysis.

As of 7:03 pm eastern time (U.S.), 34 citizens have voted.

Of these, 28, or 82.3% of the poll's participants, favor building the Sistine Chapel. A mere 14.7% (5 respondents) favor an army, and only 2.9% (1 respondent) argued using the GL for the FP.

Further analysis reveals that an army is the "runner-up" choice in the event it is impossible to build SC. Of the 17 respondents who chose to answer a "Sistine if possible, alternative if not" question, 81.2% (13 respondents) advocated an army. Surprisingly, 23% (3 respondents) argued for saving the wonder for JS Bach's cathedral, while only 5.8% (1 respondent) was in favor of the FP.

To date, the results of the Apolytonian Times/ANN poll point to an overwhelming majority favoring using the GL to rush SC if at all possible. A similiar percentage also favors building an army as a backup choice.