Old November 11, 2002, 23:09   #181
Nicosar
Civilization II Multiplayer
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
MING! I thought you said sav files were a valid image type!

Well...OBVIOUSLY its my fault, but if you would be so graceful, please describe me to me the nature of my mistake... then we can all revel in the master quality of the master units of master Nicosar's master gameboard.

-Your humble and most modest Gameplayer-
Old November 12, 2002, 03:29   #182
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 03:26
Hmmm... I was told they were. What can I say...
Old November 12, 2002, 04:39   #183
Nicosar
Chieftain

just thought id try....cuz then whenever i get asked or offer to show them i could always just have given em this site instead of sending it

oh well....

maybe one day when the communists take overs all picture types will become homogenous clones and blend into a single format, free and easy to use!.
Old November 12, 2002, 09:22   #184
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

We can only hope...

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old November 12, 2002, 12:04   #185
Zero-Tau
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:26
Nicosar:

I think your mistake is not putting the filename in the "Attach file" field, just below the options when you reply. Had you done so, your post should have said "Nicosar has attached this file:" which it didn't.

Or am I unaware of something?
Old November 13, 2002, 11:16   #186
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Zero-Tau
Nicosar:

I think your mistake is not putting the filename in the "Attach file" field, just below the options when you reply. Had you done so, your post should have said "Nicosar has attached this file:" which it didn't.

Or am I unaware of something?
Actually... I just went in and looked at how he tried to post it... He use img tags and then referenced a file on his computer, not a web site... uhh... that's not the way img tags work
Old November 13, 2002, 16:38   #187
Nicosar
Chieftain

AHAHAHAHAHAA. ..... .....

hah.

Im glad youre amused, oh great one, but some of us do not come into this world pre-programmed and must use logic, but i guess thinking to use images already in your computer is ass-backwards disfunctional reasoning on my part...
Old November 14, 2002, 15:05   #188
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 10:26
Is this the same file you send me?
It contained a virus so the server destroyed it.....................
Old November 15, 2002, 00:51   #189
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by atawa
Is this the same file you send me?
It contained a virus so the server destroyed it.....................
Maybe I should consider myself lucky that I decided NOT to accept that file
Old November 15, 2002, 02:33   #190
Nicosar
Chieftain

well, it must be a pretty harmless and superly discrete, and actually rather by now vacated, migrating type of a single-byte mini-virus since i scanned the said file, and many more besides, and it came out clean, but im glad the server caught it for ya...

(damn squatter-viruses, like roaches dey be! dey shlip in your computah!... crawl around er a whiles, and den leave!!...leaving YOU bug-eyed....i've seen entire MEN go mad, i'se has... )
Old December 12, 2002, 10:55   #191
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Well, I was pointed in this direction, but I ain't reading all that either.
Is this the new Eyes? Wordy like Eyes.
Old December 12, 2002, 10:59   #192
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Eyes' ego....but with seemingly little knowledge of civ.
Old December 12, 2002, 11:09   #193
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

You know, the Christmas hats just make yours, Mings, and RAHS avatars scarier than they already were.
Old December 12, 2002, 11:14   #194
DrSpike
Deity

Is this a phobia you would like to share with us?

Dungeon master is a force for good......now he is a festive force for good.
Old December 12, 2002, 11:18   #195
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Look at the 3 scary avatars, and compare with my nice, peaceful dove.
Old December 12, 2002, 11:20   #196
DrSpike
Deity

Yeah but your beard is scary, so it all evens out
Old December 12, 2002, 11:26   #197
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

HEY!

Hey, part 2. Maybe Nicobar is Strategyking.
He's also, ummmm, detail oriented.
Old December 12, 2002, 11:30   #198
DrSpike
Deity

Hehe sorry, couldn't resist.
Old December 12, 2002, 14:26   #199
Flatlander Fox
Prince

I actually looked at the game, after I told him I wouldn't play it.

It was a neat idea... But set up on a map the size of Rhode Island (In real life).

It was so big when you zoom out all the way it wouldn't fit.
Old December 15, 2002, 00:06   #200
Nicosar
Chieftain

well, i got an e-mail, and it made me curious, so I stopped by, seeing what the commotion was about....

Yeah, that map...heheh, it would be good for maybe civ 3 with 16 civs, in fact perfect for that, but i designed it without the 255 city limit in mind, thinking that perhaps if I could get a faithful bunch of hardcore-rians that there would eventually (admittedly after months of regular playing, but it is not like that would be a price to pay) form a modern set up with massive 60-80 city empires, navies and armies of hundreds, and the most incredibly intense in-depth strategy this sleepy side of the vast and glorious galaxy!

ahhhhhhhhhhhh.....*yawns*.......

(how dreams fade fast....)

Well, my maps are just as good, though much smaller, and if we could get Flatlander back in here maybe hed testify to the actual favorable and realistic qualities of it despite its size, and im trying to get another group to play against, the first one was a sort of flop, but im trying it another way...
but dont worry, im not relying on these forums or CFC, theyre all a total bust, i just acquired a large ICQ list from all the various postees, a long tedious and scavanging venture, so i can contact people more directly....its more effective if youre trying to lure unsuspecting players into leaving crappy default civ behind, it seems forums just confuse them and arouse their more fiery passions....
but since ming told me mark g. recently added new file types which could be posted, im going to post up here, to give you all a taste of superiority; my units file.
no viruses or bugs or nothing either.... dont listen to my critics!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	units.bmp
Views:	13
Size:	301.1 KB
ID:	31725  
Old December 15, 2002, 00:16   #201
Nicosar
Chieftain

but you could of course argue that all i really have is a good aesthetic sense and that all i did was to enhance the graphics, or....
....you could reason also that I made such a greatly optimized custom version of the normal game that i merely wanted new graphics to go along with it.....
but i needed new graphics anyway for the 11 new units, and they looked too good compared to the yet-unchanged others, so I decided that simply for contrast issues alone i would need a whole new set of drawings.
but then of course, the old terrain and resources and cities and everything else didnt do justice to the new art so i.... changed everything, it looks like a new game.
but i dont need to advertise anymore, those folly and misguided preachful days are gone.
so, if youre interested, great, if not....
...well, i played regular civ for years, i remember what its like and i wont go back, i guess im sorry, that sucks for both of us then.
Old December 15, 2002, 04:45   #202
Nicosar
Chieftain

one last note:

out of skepticism for these devices, I downloaded the units file in my last other post to test it, and it worked fine except that it came out as an internet explorer file, which isnt bad, but when i double-clicked on it it wouldnt open, no matter what....
but I just simply right-clicked it and chose to open it with another program, and in fact, all the other programs that i had (image viewing applications including the default one that comes with windows) opened it perfectly clearly in their own formats, so it may be clumsy to do, slightly, but at least the file is not corrupted and works.

This problem may not exist for you, perhaps, but for those that do, there is your explanation, to save myself future trouble with complaints.
Old December 15, 2002, 08:27   #203
DrSpike
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Nicosar

ahhhhhhhhhhhh.....*yawns*.......
My sentiments exactly.
Old December 15, 2002, 13:14   #204
Flatlander Fox
Prince

The problem is that the game was too damn big. I've created a few so called MP scenarios, and most of them took WAY to long to play.

255 cities is a MONSTER. It will take so long to play that you couldn't get players to commit to such a monster.
Old December 15, 2002, 13:27   #205
DrSpike
Deity

And anyone that has played modern times in games knows that turns start to drag when players start building up large armies.
Old December 15, 2002, 15:20   #206
boann
Princess

Local Time: 02:26
sometimes i just don't understand you guys at all.
someone has a new way to play the game we all love
and you just trash it before even cking it out.
because the man chooses to use more words than you
think you have time to read.

baaaa bunch of sheeps
Old December 15, 2002, 18:44   #207
Nicosar
Chieftain

should I once again join into this chaotic fray of loosely thrown words and quick tongues.... .....?...?.....

sure. why not.... even honorable silence must break itself to quiet others....

I would say, Dr. Spike, that you have never played a game where the length of the turns doesnt really matter, the turns not being some mere anticipation to predictable future progress in a stale building game of rep.>demo. trade/tech, peaceful-growth, wonder-building warless bout in an unrealistic, reputation-preening boring regular civ game but intense and careful movements and detailed minute tactical decisions in a large-scale and realistic, conflict-oriented, delicatelly-paced complex gameboard in which, given the ample length of time, realistic military confrontations of many sorts are common and many, and I would thus have to ask you to retreat that false finger of pretended wisdom if you complain about time in a dense strategy game, a most assumptuous and amateur contradiction, for it is clear to any veteran of HIGHER CIV that you are not used to battle.
In games that i've had in the past, admittedly slower-paced but huge intense games of military prowess and bold first strikes, which the ridiculously fast-paced rate of tech acquirements in regular civ couldn't save you from avoiding with your bubble-like, peaceful "trading" power, you were glad for the extra time you had to plot precisely and intricately all your many movements and counter-strikes and slowly unfurling delicate plans, and real men, men of deep strategy, do not easily become bored or tired simply because they have to be patient and wait for others to develop along an immense game of many aspects and rich eventful turns...
After all, are you playing your game for the strategy of the moment or for the end results merely, as if you were racing and not playing chess, because if you are indeed childish enough to lament the length of turns in a strategy game, then I would pick a more unwrinkled avatar to suit you... for old men, most wiser old men, have acquired the grace of patience in their long years.

Oh, but i suppose that you are right, after all, since you speak about the shallow and quick and undeveloped and graceless version of civ, the default, and not about anything else, anything more... deep.

In that case, I shouldn't try and correct you, for in those games, indeed, there is not much there to satisfy a person when there is not some constant action and fast rate of development, it is boring even to patient old men!

FOR NEWCOMERS: I HAVE POSTED MY UNITS FILE FOR MY MASTER GAMEBOARD, AS A SAMPLE REALLY, TO BE DOWNLOADED AT THE END OF PAGE 10, WHICH IS, PERHAPS, THE ONLY PROOF I CAN GIVE YOU OF THIS BETTER GAME I SPEAK OF BESIDES WELL-PLACED WORDS.

And that is really the only reason im posting here, after all, for a person's eyes will tell them far more than the uncontemplated words of a few cynical laymen.... many, many more of which I psychically predict to come after these words... ;- )
Old December 15, 2002, 22:55   #208
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Nicosar, getting extra techs and not telling people is unfortunate to say the least, albeit understandable only from a newbie hosting mp games. Were you unaware that only the host can get extra techs and that getting them is an unfair advantage? Your response - you don't remember any rule forbidding extra techs - is dubious at best. If you didn't know only the host can get techs, that is not beyond the realm of feasibility and you should have said so, but to know the host can get them and not tell others only to dismiss
the matter with "I don't recall a rule against extra techs" is dishonorable. Sorry, but that's the impression I'm getting...
Old December 15, 2002, 23:41   #209
Nicosar
Chieftain

I dont recall any such rule, my reasonable friend Berserker, because there is no such thing, as far as my experience teaches, since I have hosted many games in which I have got nothing and many others gotten something, and that is enough to make me oblivious to any esoteric and ungrounded privately held law about special host-techs....
But even if this weren't the case I would tell you that 90% of all my civ games I ever played, if I hosted or not, were custom games pre-designed to have everyone start out tech-lesssssssss..... .... ... .. .
Old December 16, 2002, 00:10   #210
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Nicosar, I don't know what "pre-designs" you've incorporated into the games you host, but in regular mp games, only the host can get added techs (aside from the ai), not other human players.

The "rule" is an added gentleman's agreement by people who are not oblivious to some of the game's flaws. But since 90% of your games are intentionally designed to eliminate extra techs, that means you are aware of the possible host' advantage and did nothing about it in your game with Atawa, true?