Old September 24, 2002, 05:19   #1
laissez-faire
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:29
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Wonder Movies
Do we know yet that PtW is going to have wonder movies? I thought that was one of the shining points of Alpha Centauri. It would be quite an investment of time and money for Firaxis, but it would have also elevated the game to the next level.

Just my opinion. Yes, this is my first post.
Old September 24, 2002, 05:32   #2
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 10:29
Wellcome to Apolyton, laissez-faire.

We don't know for sure that PtW is not going to have wonder movies, but I'd bet my salary for a year that it won't. (Don't try to make the bet with me, though, the sum doesn't worth it )

PS This is my first post, too...with my new avatar
--Woody Allen
Old September 24, 2002, 08:01   #3
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

I'll quote from civ3.com:

Quote:
We have created a beautiful and fun world in Civ III and felt that the Wonder movies of the past would take you out of that world and interrupt the gameplay experience. In Civ III, building a Wonder triggers a reward screen that captures the flavor of the Wonder movies without disrupting the flow of your game.
I see no reason why Firaxis would have changed their attitude toward wonder movies in the meantime.
--Woody Allen
Old September 24, 2002, 08:32   #4
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 09:29
Quote:
Originally posted by Tiberius
I'll quote from civ3.com:

We have created a beautiful and fun world in Civ III and felt that the Wonder movies of the past would take you out of that world and interrupt the gameplay experience. In Civ III, building a Wonder triggers a reward screen that captures the flavor of the Wonder movies without disrupting the flow of your game.
Or, with different words: we had to cut some costs, and many people skip wonder movies after some games, so we can safely remove them and survive

No way to see the movie come back. I hope at least they add the Wonder stats and game effects on the Wonder Picture, as some graphic MOD already did.

And a decent movie for every different victory path must be a need! How can they only make a good "launch the starship" movie and released "half baked" diplomatic victory screen?
Old September 24, 2002, 08:37   #5
Tiberius
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Adm.Naismith
And a decent movie for every different victory path must be a need! How can they only make a good "launch the starship" movie and released "half baked" diplomatic victory screen?
You are absolutely right. The diplomatic and cultural victories leave such a bad taste in the winner's mouth.

I don't know about the domination or conquest victory, since I've never achieved one
--Woody Allen
Old September 24, 2002, 09:09   #6
laissez-faire
Chieftain

Thanks for the welcome. I have been "lurking" for a while now. Finally got myself involved.

Quote:
We have created a beautiful and fun world in Civ III and felt that the Wonder movies of the past would take you out of that world and interrupt the gameplay experience.
Actually, I thought the movies in AC helped to further involve me in that 'world'. I remember the first time I ever played it and ended that evening (or early, early morning) thinking I really had transcended into a god. I agree with Naismith in that they must be trying to cut costs. Well, the product suffered IMHO.
Old September 24, 2002, 14:21   #7
Caliban
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiberius
I don't know about the domination or conquest victory, since I've never achieved one
Be sure: These screens suck, too. I support the idea of victory movies as some kind of reward, but i don't think wonder movies are needed (In AC, I looked at them one time, then I always skipped them).

Btw, do you know the movies in WarCraft III? If Firaxis could hire the artists who made THESE... that would surely be worth seeing!
Old September 24, 2002, 16:24   #8
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 02:29
Somewhere else I saw a Firaxian explain simply that the benefits of wonder movies didn't justify the investment. Most people only watch them once...yada yada... I think they should stick to that justifacation rather than trot out this "gameplay experience" stuff.
Old September 24, 2002, 17:20   #9
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 03:29
I remember reading in an interview that the movies cost a big chunk of the development cost for SMAC and that the payoff wasn't worth the expense. These days if you were to bother putting them in and they weren't up to the level that, say, Blizzard does, people would complain anyway. I'm sure Blizzard spends a pretty penny for their movies.
Old September 24, 2002, 20:22   #10
laissez-faire
Chieftain

Yes, WCIII movies were unbelievable. Very intense.
Old September 24, 2002, 20:28   #11
- Groucho -
Diplomacy
Prince

But the movies are so cool! It is a shame that they are gone. I bought SMAC when it first came out and I still, all these years later, watch the wonder movies when I play (which is often). Combined with the voice-overs they are, IMHO, the best piece of eye-candy ever devised for a game. So many games (Warcraft III is a prime example) fill their cut-scenes with dialogue that is just abysmal. That Paladin wiener in the first act of Warcraft III has lines that are the script-writing equivalent of scrubbing a file across your teeth. ogod - make iT STOPPP!!!! SMAC, OTOH, has witty, intelligent quotes that develop the characters while informing and amusing the listener. Fantastic stuff.
Old September 24, 2002, 20:36   #12
WarpStorm
King

Actually, now that you mention it, it's the voice overs and little quotes stories I miss much more thean the full blown movies. Especially the brain in the box one.
Old September 24, 2002, 20:38   #13
WarpStorm
King

Firaxis, I want SMAC 2 with full production values and an AI that actually understands how to play (I don't care about the scenario editor though for SMAC).
Old September 24, 2002, 23:49   #14
Dida
Prince

Local Time: 08:29
YES, we need a good movie for every victory conditon.

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.
Old September 25, 2002, 07:31   #15
WarpStorm
King

A movie for each victory (and loss) would be good, I don't need them for each Wonder.
Old September 25, 2002, 13:09   #16
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 05:29
Ok, I was one of those who used to support the addition of wonder movies to Civ3, but, if we take into account that this probably won't happen, I'd be satisfied with movies for every type of victory and loss.

(Well, dreaming is for free, isn't it? )
Old September 25, 2002, 13:46   #17
Caliban
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexnm
Ok, I was one of those who used to support the addition of wonder movies to Civ3, but, if we take into account that this probably won't happen, I'd be satisfied with movies for every type of victory and loss.
Maybe (I say MAYBE) somebody is able to mod CivIII so that we can include victory movies. There has to be some sort of .ini or .txt file that determines if you see a movie or just a boring victory screen...

If someone finds out whether I am right, we just need to get some nice movies...
Old September 25, 2002, 14:39   #18
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm
A movie for each victory (and loss) would be good, I don't need them for each Wonder.
I agree with this completely. Wonder movies I would skip. but the ends are soo lame, need something.
Old September 25, 2002, 16:39   #19
Alex
Emperor

The ends are the epitome of all your game. Imagine playing through a game for 20 hours + and then, after bloody battles and a cunning management of your empire, you finally become the number one, the leader of all civilized world, uniting all nations under your leadership, and then... poof. "You have won a diplomatic victory."
What? Where are the triumphal parades, with people waving at me when I get to the United Nations, and then receiving the respectul applause of the other leaders, and going up the stairs that lead to the highest place above all, where I say to all the others: "Now, my fellow leaders, we have entered in a new era of cooperation and mutual satisfaction... And I'll provide the cement that will unite all of us under one and only leadership"... And then a bunch of beautiful women would suddenly appear, totally naked, and...

Well, you got the point.
Old September 25, 2002, 19:17   #20
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
What? Where are the triumphal parades, with people waving at me when I get to the United Nations, and then receiving the respectul applause of the other leaders, and going up the stairs that lead to the highest place above all, where I say to all the others: "Now, my fellow leaders, we have entered in a new era of cooperation and mutual satisfaction... And I'll provide the cement that will unite all of us under one and only leadership"...
And suddendly the opposing leader take one of his/her shoes and start to wham it on the table...

Quote:
And then a bunch of beautiful women would suddenly appear, totally naked, and...
Well, you got the point.
No I haven't. Please give me some more detail and a few pictures...

BTW, I suggest you keep that movie on a first person view, so you don't have to bother with the gender of the leader. OTOH, about the bunch of beautiful woman I haven't any gender complain
Old September 26, 2002, 14:30   #21
Caliban
Prince

Quote:
What? Where are the triumphal parades, with people waving at me when I get to the United Nations, and then receiving the respectul applause of the other leaders, and going up the stairs that lead to the highest place above all, where I say to all the others: "Now, my fellow leaders, we have entered in a new era of cooperation and mutual satisfaction... And I'll provide the cement that will unite all of us under one and only leadership"
I'd rather like to see my troops surrounding the UN building and my voice to shout: "Leaders of the world! You have thirty seconds to declare me the ultimate king and ruler of all your countries or else...!"
Oops... must be my German roots... better forget that!
Old September 26, 2002, 16:09   #22
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Caliban

I'd rather like to see my troops surrounding the UN building and my voice to shout: "Leaders of the world! You have thirty seconds to declare me the ultimate king and ruler of all your countries or else...!"
Old September 27, 2002, 08:32   #23
Alex
Emperor

There you have it; I'm a builder, not a warmonger. Hey, they could have movies for both styles!
Old September 27, 2002, 12:20   #24
Caliban
Prince

Quote:
There you have it; I'm a builder, not a warmonger. Hey, they could have movies for both styles!
Yes! But that could get complicated...
Old September 28, 2002, 04:53   #25
LionQ
Warlord

Location: Capelle aan den IJssel [near Rotterdam], The Netherlands
Really, think of the game size!

LionQ.
Old September 28, 2002, 14:12   #26
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Considering that you'd probably have the option during installation to have them remain on the CD, I dont think it would be too much of a problem.
Old September 29, 2002, 13:43   #27
Caliban
Prince

As this is the time of 80 GB+ hard drives, hard disc space will not be the problem.
But maybe one CD would be too small! They would have to release a DVD only for wonder/victory movies... well, I could imagine buying it...
Old September 29, 2002, 17:51   #28
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
As this is the time of 80 GB+ hard drives, hard disc space will not be the problem.
But maybe one CD would be too small! They would have to release a DVD only for wonder/victory movies... well, I could imagine buying it...
A DVD rom is a good large media, but many PC haven't a DVD drive included, so it can be a problem.

Another option should be a pair of CD:
1) Install CD for game exe and libraries, only used during install, and
2) Run CD (protected as usual, for Infogrames money protection ) including graphics that could be loaded runtime or installed first with a full install.

But the distribution media cost I bet is not the main cost of a large use of wonder and end movies...
"We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
- Admiral Naismith
Old September 30, 2002, 14:32   #29
Caliban
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Adm.Naismith

A DVD rom is a good large media, but many PC haven't a DVD drive included, so it can be a problem.
You don't have a DVD drive?? Hm... at least they are spreading VERY fast, so this is becoming a considerable market factor... I mean you can make money with it!
Old September 30, 2002, 17:52   #30
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
You don't have a DVD drive?? Hm... at least they are spreading VERY fast, so this is becoming a considerable market factor... I mean you can make money with it!
Sorry, I dion't explained myself: I have a combo DVD+CDRW on my personal notebook (about 9 months old), but just for example, the notebook I use at work (about 2 years old) simply have a CD Rom drive (no DVD, no CDRW). Many entry level PC still are sold without a DVD here in Italy (CD drive 40x is more common).

I remember some flame less than a year ago because the game required a 1024*768 screen to run (again, a trouble with many notebooks built a couple of years ago). I was considering a workaround with a couple of CD.
You surely notice that most games aren't sold on DVD still, because the CD is the common base for many players.

But that's irrilevant: Firaxis isn't committed to deliver any wonder movie AFAIK, so a plain CD will be more than enough.