View Poll Results: Should we try using the Apolyton Chat room during King Hydey's next game session?
YES 5 41.67%
NO 5 41.67%
disgruntled Opera user / Banana option 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 24, 2002, 09:39   #1
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Local Time: 03:29
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Turnchat?
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
Jrabbit, thanks for the kind words. how about doing the next civ2 demo turn chat in the civ2 room?
Hey, since MarkG has gone to all the trouble to create a stable Chat environment with forum-specific rooms, how about we take his suggestion and try using live turnchats while King Hydey plays the next round?

...worth a try...

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old September 24, 2002, 10:04   #2
Galvatron
Civilization II PBEMPtWDG Glory of War
Prince

Local Time: 02:29
Hey this sounds great be live on board as our king plays his turn. Think this is a pioneer idea. It's a new era of this dem-game.

Ok perhaps it's a little bit exaggerated but it's surely a nice idea and I’ll try to be online, hope I don't have to get up at 3 in the morning.

Proud and official translator of Yaroslavs Civilization-Diplomacy utility.
Old September 24, 2002, 10:49   #3
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

There are bound to be major timing issues between Oz, US, and EU. But at least some could participate. Minister advice could become part of our gameplay, perhaps allowing longer sessions between saves.

Perhaps those who have experienced turnchat in other Demo games could enlighten us...

Darkness' Edge? MrWIA? Cavebear?

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old September 24, 2002, 11:33   #4
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 20:29
The 'Poly chatroom STABLE? It used to be. As of yesterday it kept crapping out on me though. More stable than the week before but not much so.

By all means, go for it - but don't expect everyone to be able to stay there for as much as an hour without having weird corrupt screen effects and random instances where you can't post.

Strangely, with the Civ3DG chats and one SMAC DG chat I have attended on DALnet and EFnet respectively, I have had no problems, but others have!

At least I know that whatever time suits our Great Monarch is likely to be a time that I am awake for - availability is quite another matter right now though!

Maybe a single turn as a test to see if we can get a time that many can turn up to would be a good idea. And to REALLY test the stability of the Poly chatrooms.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old September 24, 2002, 13:18   #5
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

!! Too inflexible with planning times, etc.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old September 24, 2002, 14:10   #6
Zedd
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 04:29
From experience i know that realtime playing is quite a hassel and no one is really satisfied on the rare occasions that it works out. we have a good system going lets not mess with it.

If its not broken...........Don't fix it
Old September 24, 2002, 15:54   #7
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by -Jrabbit
There are bound to be major timing issues between Oz, US, and EU. But at least some could participate. Minister advice could become part of our gameplay, perhaps allowing longer sessions between saves.

Perhaps those who have experienced turnchat in other Demo games could enlighten us...

Darkness' Edge? MrWIA? Cavebear?
I have not tried turnchat... However, if I become President again, I will be interested in trying it.

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old September 24, 2002, 17:27   #8
mrboo123
Rise of Nations MultiplayerC4DG VoxCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

I when Banana becuse, You won't see me up at 2am for this.
Old September 24, 2002, 18:09   #9
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 18:29
Given that I don't play the session in one go but play 10r 2 turns, do some work, play another 1or 2 turns stop and have a meal, play another 1 or 2 turns, stop to watch TV.

It would not work for the way I play the turns.

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old September 24, 2002, 20:37   #10
Darkness' Edge
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

Local Time: 19:29
I'm opposed to this.
One of the best features of the Civ2 game has been its simplicity. I fiercely opposed putting turnchat into the SMAC game, but was outvoted. That's one of the reasons why I didn't stand again as Commissioner - having to get up at 7am on a weekend or day off got really annoying after a while.

I'd be discouraged from standing for President, let alone any other position, if I knew I were going to have to run/attend turnchats.

As far as stability goes...I haven't found Poly to be too bad. But a lot of other people have, and the last turnchat of my SMAC term is still being held on EFnet on IRC, as the general consensus was that it Poly was too unstable.

I'm still opposed to turnchats, but in my experience with the SMAC game, turnchat actually worked - and when a couple of people who couldn't make the chats due to timezone issues wanted to hold turnthreads, I fought to keep turnchats.

These are different games. Turnchat was more necessary there.

However, it does have its advantages. It's handy for a first-time President to have the other ministers there to check quickly. If we had been running turnchats, John may well have had a much easier time as President.

(My first turns in the SMAC game were played in the same style as this game, without the turnchat, as I couldn't make any turnchat that week. I did such a bad job I had calls for impeachment, after three days in office. After that, I played all turns in turnchats.)

Turnchats helped me get back on track there, and I've been doing well since then. But I'd like to keep the simplicity of this game, and I'm still opposed. I'm not denying that turnchats have their advantages...but...no.