Old September 25, 2002, 08:25   #1
Lord Master of Order
Settler

Local Time: 08:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
help for Network-play
Hi!
I've a big Problem.
I'm trying to play CTP2 on 2 PC's but after about 5 turns it starts to resynchronize EVERY turn. After about 30 turns the game crashes to the desktop (anything only on the client, host is stabile). We've tried IPX an TCP, set the swap-file to 512, 1024 and even 2048; set desktop res. to 16 Bit (i've read this on the activision-site). No change at all. smaller maps, less Players .. same result.
On the support-page they tell me that if the game resyncs too often i should play at times where the servers are not so busy .. LOL .. I'm playing LAN, there should NEVER be any resync ...
Please!!! Any Ideas ??? Thx !

A Lost Soul

PS: Using WinXp, but problems where the same with Win98SE
Old September 25, 2002, 11:38   #2
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 01:32
Hello LMO, it sounds like you haven't edited your userprofile.txt - On line 35 from the bottom of the file, change: DebugSlic=Yes to DebugSlic=No.

Your userprofile.txt can be located at the following location: X(Drive Letter)://Program Files/Activision/Call To Power 2/ctp2_program/ctp/userprofile.txt

NOTE: If you have just loaded the game on your computer, there will not be a userprofile.txt until you setup and launch your first game. In this case, you would simply setup a singleplayer game and launch it. When it's your turn, exit the game. The userprofile.txt file will now be available for editing.

What mods (if any) are you trying to play with?

Even though you are on a LAN, you can (and will) still get resyncs...but hopefully not bad enough to crash your game.

Oh, and prior to starting your LAN game, make sure ALL other programs that you might have running on your computer(s) are shutdown/turned off (ie, MSN Messanger, ICQ, Realplayer, etc.)

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Wittlich; September 25, 2002 at 11:44.
Old September 27, 2002, 09:28   #3
Lord Master of Order
Settler

Hi!

Just wanted to thank you for your help, although i already did those steps you mentioned

But i solved the problem (by accident)

It was just ONE option .. 'show enemy moves' ...

i re-activated it on the host, and everything works fine.

we've now about 250 turns without even one resync.

now i'm happy again

thx a lot
Old September 30, 2002, 16:59   #4
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Sheesh...all these horror stories about MP games....I am almost scared to say it, but Nancy and I are gonna attempt a MP game this evening on our home network....my fingers are crossed!

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old September 30, 2002, 20:47   #5
Lord Master of Order
Settler

I'm with you

and if it doesn't work ... don't throw your PC out of the window
Old October 1, 2002, 12:14   #6
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Happy to report that our first experiment on the ol' home network went smooth as glass! We didn't play the game completely out, but fiddled with it for 2.5 hours and it was a blast! Planning to continue those experiments this weekend....

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old October 1, 2002, 13:02   #7
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Vel,
Yeah i've managed to get my girlfreind to play over LAN as well - she usually like games like pharoah but seems to be taking a shine to CTP2
This game is a blast over LAN, as the game continues to be improved and changed this is really the best way to play - the poor AI just can't compare to a human adversary!(plus it's great to team up to create a new world order)
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old October 1, 2002, 17:02   #8
Lord Master of Order
Settler

by the way

whats your expirience with correct trade and science-values on remote-ps's ?

the tech-advances always need much longer (and with 8 rounds left it is next round finished) and with 13 caravans i'm not able to build a trade-route wich needs 10 caravans ??? ... but only on the remote-PC.

or is it just me?
Old October 1, 2002, 17:12   #9
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 01:32
Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Master of Order
by the way

whats your expirience with correct trade and science-values on remote-ps's ?

the tech-advances always need much longer (and with 8 rounds left it is next round finished) and with 13 caravans i'm not able to build a trade-route wich needs 10 caravans ??? ... but only on the remote-PC.

or is it just me?
Nope, it's not just you. When ever the game resyncs, the time for the tech advance (on the remote machine) gets reset back to the original time that it would have taken (as if you just started researching the advance) - But don't worry the remote machine will finish the research in the orginal time frame...but yes, it IS rather disturbing....

Concerning caravans - Again, when the game resyncs, the caravans in use and number available gets messed up (on the remote computer). Even though you show 13 caravans available, you actually do not have that many and so the route requiring 10 caravans can not be started (since you most likely have under 10 available). The thing to do is build more caravans. Utilize the caravans available and caravans in use only as a guide.