View Poll Results: What civs would you pick after PTW's release?
Portugal 22 7.83%
the Netherlands 30 10.68%
Scotland 17 6.05%
the Finns 11 3.91%
the Hebrews 27 9.61%
the Aborigines 10 3.56%
the Polynesians 13 4.63%
the Serbs or other Slavic civ 14 4.98%
an east asian civ like the Khmer, Indonesians, etc 14 4.98%
an African civ like Nubia, Songhai, etc 27 9.61%
Inca 36 12.81%
Maya, Olmecs or other Meso-American civ 31 11.03%
Another English civ like Canada, Australia, Ireland, etc 13 4.63%
an Alien or fantasy civ 6 2.14%
Another 10 3.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 1, 2002, 14:52   #1
Parsifal
Settler

Local Time: 02:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
More Civs for Civ3!
If firaxis ever decided to release a number of new civs in addition to th 24 available after PTW, what ones should they be? Have a moan! Tell everybody why your# civ should be included.

#one you support rather than come from!
Old September 1, 2002, 16:17   #2
King_Xerces
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:32
My # 1 would definately be the Hebrews. Despite being relatively small, they have a history dating back almost 6000 years. They've spread to all 4 corners of the earth, and have had a huge impact on the way we think about the world. I personally think they should have been included to start with, as they've met and surpassed all requirements to being a vital part of our history.

Think of all the civ's the Hebrews have been in conflict with or lived amongst, and still survive up to this day. The Egyptians, Romans, Persians, Babylonians. Even the Chinese, Indians, or Russians if you count isolated groups.

The only reason they weren't included to begin with is the fact that they were never a very populous civ. But isn't that made up by the fact that they were culturally adept? I think I speak for everybody when I say "Firaxis, Give us the Hebrews! "

They'd definately be religious. I think a new quality would have to be designed to reflect their second trait, though. Maybe, something religious and spritual, like Charismatic. You could build a city next to someone elses capital, or on the other side of the world, having minimal corruption, increased happiness, and no chance of flipping.

For a leader, I'd either have to go with Abraham, or King David.
Old September 1, 2002, 19:10   #3
connorkimbro
Emperor

i don't think the irish would appreciate being called "like the english" And canada and australia are both much different from ireland, historically speaking.

-theonion.com
Old September 1, 2002, 19:13   #4
connorkimbro
Emperor

refering to the hebrews:
Quote:
You could build a city next to someone elses capital, or on the other side of the world, having minimal corruption, increased happiness, and no chance of flipping.
That would be WAY too powerful of an attribute. I'd say they'd be militaristic and religious. Even today, they've got a hell of an army, and back in ancient times, they were whipping lots of ass. When they weren't being enslaved, that is.

I agree, they'd be a great addition to the game though. It would also provide some great scenarios.

Arabs vs Hebrews
Egyptians vs Hebrews
Babylonians vs Hebrews
Persians vs Hebrews
Romans vs Hebrews

all of those happened at one point in ancient history, lol.

-theonion.com
Old September 2, 2002, 02:20   #5
Lecommencement
Settler

Local Time: 08:32
I think the Inca would be a fun civ. Religious and Industial. Maybe allowed to be cities in mountians.
Old September 2, 2002, 02:33   #6
Duddha
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 00:32
Ethiopia
Old September 2, 2002, 02:42   #7
connorkimbro
Emperor

Quote:
Maybe allowed to be cities in mountians.
Or maybe allowed to get 1 food from mountains. though that could be rather powerful.

-theonion.com
Old September 2, 2002, 02:57   #8
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Hebrews, they deserve it.

Another Sub Saharan Afrian civ would be nice.

Inca... Maya??? Ask Ribannah. She knows better than I do which one warrants inclusion.

The Dutch too, just so I can heartlessly rib someone I know.

The Canadians? We're already in. We're the better conscience of the Americans.
Old September 2, 2002, 03:46   #9
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 10:32
How come that there are civs such as Scotland, Finnland or Serbia on your list, but no Hungary or Poland? In what way and when were they more important or powerful then these two once mighty kingdoms, who dominated Central and Eastern Europe for centuries?

...and the Aborigines? Come on! You can't be serious.
--Woody Allen
Old September 2, 2002, 04:21   #10
Deathwalker
Prince

I would also like to see the Huns added
Old September 2, 2002, 06:00   #11
Whyeich
Settler

Local Time: 17:32
Koreans, Religious and militaristic
but I think no figure fit for leader
who know leader for Koreans?
Old September 2, 2002, 06:15   #12
Galvatron
Civilization II PBEMPtWDG Glory of War
Prince

Well the Netherlands would be a really good addition to the game concerning their importance in the colonial period. Don't forget they defeated the military superpower at that time the Spaniards. Also a Canadian civ would be really cool. Think of all their achievements to became a powerful state (settled the west, unified the country under one great dominion,....). I don't really believe Indian tribes like Maya are important enough to be called a civ. At first they go down very quickly when the Europeans arrived and they never had such an important world-leader status the French or Spaniards had. Think about it: the Mayas where unknown before they were discovered but the Europeans had access to africa at the time they arrived at America.

Proud and official translator of Yaroslavs Civilization-Diplomacy utility.
Old September 2, 2002, 07:31   #13
Parsifal
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiberius
How come that there are civs such as Scotland, Finnland or Serbia on your list, but no Hungary or Poland? In what way and when were they more important or powerful then these two once mighty kingdoms, who dominated Central and Eastern Europe for centuries?

...and the Aborigines? Come on! You can't be serious.
I am aware that Hungary and Poland had large medieval empires.

In the case of the Finns, they once inhabited most of north eastern Europe, and I can't see how the Poles and Hungarians are more important. The Serbs also had a large Medieval empire.

But in the case of the Scots, they were far more important. Ever hear of the Scottish Enlightenment. David Hume, Adam Smith, James Hutton, etc. Gave us modern capitalism, the historiography of progress which made marxism possible, geology. The idea of the social sciences is a product of the Scottish enlightenment. Also, James Watt, the guy whose development of the steam engine made the Industrial Revolution possible. Then later there was Alexander Graham Bell (telephone), John Logie Baird (television), James Dewar (vacuum flask), Robert Watson-Watt (radar), Alexander Fleming (penicillin), John Loudon MacAdam (tarmac), and many, many more.
People all over the world sing Amazing Grace and Auld Lang Syne. And the modern historical novel began with Scott, imitated by Tolstoy, Austen, Hardy and eveyone elseto give us the most popular novels of the 19th century. In adddition, to golf, tartan, whisky,etc, Scotland has clearly more important than Poland and Hungary put together in terms of influence on modern culture, ( I am aware of Marie Curie and Copernicus).
Old September 2, 2002, 08:00   #14
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 09:32
Quote:
Originally posted by Whyeich
Koreans, Religious and militaristic
but I think no figure fit for leader
who know leader for Koreans?
Koreans are already included in Play the World expansion, IIRC. So they aren't mentioned into this poll about "others civ to add" to 24 already defined (16 original Civ III + 8 added in PTW).
Old September 2, 2002, 08:46   #15
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Parsifal
But in the case of the Scots, they were far more important.
I'm sorry for such a long post, but Parsifal provoked me:

Sándor Körösi Csoma (1784 - 1842)
born: Körösfalva, Transylvania - died: Darjeeling, India
Körösi Csoma was a linguist, globetrotter and explorer. He set out on foot to Asia, to find the ancient homeland and origins of the Hungarians. Körösi Csoma prepared the first grammar index of the Tibetan language and the first ever English-Tibetan and Sanskrit-English dictionary. His works are regarded as milestones in Oriental linguistics.

John von Neumann (1903 - 1957)
born: Budapest, Hungary - died: Washington, DC
Von Neumann was a mathematician, chemist and physicist. He took part in the development of the first atomic bomb as a member of the Manhattan Project scientific team. He invented the logical basic concepts of the computer, such as the binary code.

Joseph Pulitzer (1847 - 1911)
born: Makó, Hungary - died: Charleston, SC, USA
Pulitzer, journalist, editor and pioneer of modern journalism, founded the Pulitzer prize.

Leo Szilárd (1898 - 1964)
born: Budapest - died: La Jolla, California, USA
Szilárd, nuclear-and biophysicist, was a member of the Manhattan Project scientific team. The development of the chain reaction of nuclear fission by combining uranium with graphite is associated to Szilárd's name. He was first to use plutonium to bring about an atomic reaction. He designed and built together with Fermi the first nuclear reactor. Leo Szilárd is also known as the father of biophysics.

Edward Teller (Budapest 1908 - )
Nuclear physicist Teller's main field of research is thermonuclear reaction. He was a member of the Manhattan Project scientific team, and took part in developing the nuclear chain reaction and the first atomic bomb. He also had a leading role in the building of the American hydrogen bomb (1952), and is therefore called the father of the hydrogen bomb.

Albert von Szent-Györgyi
born: Budapest on September 16, 1893 - died: 1986, Woods Hole, MA, USA
Invention: ASCORBIC ACID or VITAMIN C
Albert Szent-Györgyi won the Nobel Prize in Medicine in 1937 for his discoveries "in connection with the biological combustion process, especially in reference to vitamin C and the catalyst of fumaric acid."

... also other Nobel Price winners like Philipp E. A. von Lenard, Robert Bárány, Richard A. Zsigmondy, George de Hevesy, Georg von Békésy, Eugene P. Wigner, Dennis Gabor, John C. Polanyi, George A. Olah, John C. Harsanyi,

...also from today's people: George Soros, Andrew Grove, Ernö Rubik (inventor of the Rubik's Cube or Magic Cube), etc.

I could continue, but don't want to monopolize this thread. If you don't know them, it doesn't mean that other nations don't have famous scientist, inventors, poets, etc, who influenced today's culture, in a way or another.

Edited:
PS I really don't want to transform this in a "who's better, who's smarter, who's more important" competition, but if Scotland, Finnland and Serbia are there, I'd like to see there Hungary or Poland, as well.
--Woody Allen

Last edited by Tiberius; September 2, 2002 at 09:17.
Old September 2, 2002, 08:58   #16
fittstim
Warlord

I looked and I looked but I didn't see an option for Liechtenstein... ...or Andorra ...or the powerhouse of imperialism, San Marino.
Old September 2, 2002, 09:09   #17
Hagbart
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

I would like to see Portugal, Holland, the Incas/ Mayans. And a civ from the small oceania islands: Polynesia.

The new iPod nano: nano
Old September 2, 2002, 10:04   #18
Tiberius
Emperor

Some maps, just to prove my point about the European medieval powers:

Europe in 1360

Europe in 1500

You can see the mighty Scotland on both maps
Anyway, from the civs that are not in civ3, the biggest were Lithuania, Poland (AFAIK these 2 formed a common union later) and Hungary (if we don't count the nordic nations, who are represented by the vikings).
--Woody Allen
Old September 2, 2002, 11:03   #19
Mannamagnus
Prince

The Netherlands - Though afaik they won't be in PtW
Old September 2, 2002, 22:00   #20
Parsifal
Settler

Quote:

I'm sorry for such a long post, but Parsifal provoked me:

Sándor Körösi Csoma (1784 - 1842)
born: Körösfalva, Transylvania - died: Darjeeling, India
there, I'd like to see there Hungary or Poland, as well.
Tiberius...Tiberius...Tiberius, your attempts to give Hungary and Poland equality with Scotland are poor. I have heard of some of the guys you mentioned, but they are of peripheral interest. If you want more names, I'll give you them:

John Logie Baird (1888 - 1946)

Engineer. Inventor of the television and later developed ideas such as colour, 3-D and large screen television. Also took out a patent on fibre-optics, a technology now used to carry many telephone calls and traffic on the internet.

Arthur James Balfour (First Earl of Balfour) (1848 - 1930)

Politician. British Prime Minister between 1902 and 1906. The "Balfour Declaration" of 1917 promised the Zionists a home in Palestine

Sir James Barrie (1860 - 1937)

Author and Playright. Best known for the creation of Peter Pan, the boy who would not grow up.

Alexander Graham Bell (1847 - 1922)

Born in Edinburgh. Bell became the inventor of the telephone in 1876.

Rev. Patrick Bell (1800 - 1869)

Invented the reaping machine which was a direct precursor of the modern combine harvester.

Joseph Black (1728 - 1799)

Chemist. Professor of Anatomy and Chemistry in Glasgow University (1756) and then Professor of Medicine and Chemistry in Edinburgh (1766). Developed the concept of "Latent Heat" and discovered Carbon Dioxide ("Fixed Air"). Regarded as the Father of Quantitative Chemistry.

Sir Thomas Makdougall Brisbane (1773 - 1860)

Soldier and Astronomer, born in Largs, Ayrshire. Governor-General of the Australian state of New South-Wales. Set up an observatory and catalogued more than 7000 stars. The city of Brisbane (Australia) is named after him.

Alexander Crum Brown (1838 - 1922)

Organic chemist, born in Edinburgh. He studied in London and Leipzig before returning to Edinburgh in 1863, holding the chair of Chemistry, which now bears his name, until his death. He devised the system of representing chemical compounds in diagrammatic form, with connecting lines representing bonds.

George Brown (1818 - 1880)

Politician and a founding father of Canada, born and educated in Edinburgh. As an Ontario politician, he favoured a federation of the British Colonies in North America and spoke against the French Canadians, developing the deep divisions which persist today. Founder and editor of the "Toronto Globe".

James Bruce (1730 - 1794)

Explorer, born in Stirlingshire. Discovered the source of the Blue Nile in 1770. Was congratulated by the French, but the English did not believe him.

John Buchan (Baron Tweedsmuir) (1875 - 1940)

Author, biographer and politician. Perhaps best known for "The Thirty-Nine Steps". Was also a member of parliament and Governor-General of Canada.

Andrew Carnegie (1835 - 1918)

U.S. iron and steel magnate and great philanthropist. Born in Dunfermline, in Fife. One of the first 3 great corporate tycoons of America. Gave a considerable proportion of his fortune to the benefit of Scotland, including substantial educational endowments and 10,000 church organs.

James Chalmers (1782 - 1853)

Dundee Inventor, Bookseller and Newspaper publisher. Invented the adhesive postage stamp, which made Rowland Hill's Penny Postal service a practical proposition.

Sir Hugh Dalrymple (Lord Drummore) (1700 - 1753)

Invented hollow-pipe drainage. This innovation allowed the drying of water-logged land, bringing large areas into agricultural production.

Sir James Dewar (1842 - 1923)

Physicist and Chemist, born in Kincardine, Fife. Inventor of the vacuum flask.

Robert Dinwiddie (1693 - 1770)

Born near Glasgow, was the Lieutenant-Governor of Virginia. He insisted that the colonies should raise money for their own protection. Discovered George Washington's talents and sent him to resist the French. Thus he was an important figure in American History and has been called the "Grandfather of the United States".

Sir John Sholto Douglas (8th Marquis of Queensberry) (1844 - 1900)

Devised the "Queensberry Rules" for boxing in 1867. Was tried for libelling the Irish playwright Oscar Wilde, who was said to be having a homosexual relationship with Douglas' son, Lord Alfred. This action led to Wilde's disgrace and imprisonment.

John Boyd Dunlop (1840 - 1921)

Inventor. Developed the pneumatic tyre which was to improve the comfort of cyclists and later motorists. Contrary to popular opinion, Dunlop did not invent the pneumatic tyre, it was actually invented by Robert William Thomson.

Adam Ferguson (1723 - 1816)

Born in Logierait, Perthshire, he became Professor of Moral Philosophy at Edinburgh. He introduced the method of studying humankind in groups and is father of the subject now called "Sociology".

Sir Alexander Fleming (1881 - 1955)

Born in Ayrshire, he discovered the world's first antibiotic drug - Penicillin. This was as a result of an "accident" where mould was allowed to grow on a bacterial culture. Fleming was knighted and received the Nobel Prize in 1944.

Sir Sandford Fleming (1827 - 1915)

Canadian railway engineer, born in Kirkcaldy. Surveyed many of the major Canadian railway routes. Became Chief Engineer of the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1872. In 1884, devised the system of standard time which is internationally recognised.

Thomas Graham (1805 - 1869)

Born in Glasgow and educated at Glasgow University. Formulated "Graham's Law" on the diffusion of gases. Father of colloid chemistry.

James Gregory (1638 - 1675)

Inventor of the reflecting telescope, which was developed three years later by the Englishman Sir Isaac Newton.

Earl Haig (1861 - 1928)

Field Marshall. Commanded the allied troops on the Western Front during the First World War. Founded the Earl Haig Fund for the assistance of disabled ex-servicemen (poppy appeal).

David Octavius Hill (1802 - 1870)

Pioneer of Photography, also a Portrait and Landscape Painter.

David Hume (1711 - 1776)

Philosopher, agnostic and leading figure of the Scottish Enlightenment. History's leading sceptic. Hume wrote on human nature, politics and introduced the concept of social history.

James Hutton (1726 - 1797)

Father of modern Geology. His theory of Uniformitarianism was the basis of the explanation of the geological history of the earth, which had in his words "no vestige of a beginning, no concept of an end". Published his "Theory of the Earth" in 1785.

David Livingstone (1813 - 1873)

Explorer and medical missionary. First white man to travel the length of Lake Tanganyika, discovered Victoria Falls and set out to discover the source of the Nile, but died before acheiving his aim. When Henry Stanley was sent to look for Livingstone, he uttered the famous greeting "Dr Livingstone, I presume".

John McAdam (1756 - 1836)

Surveyor and builder of roads. Developed the process of "Macadamisation" which involves covering a road with small broken stones to form a hard surface. This led to tarmacadam (or tarmac), which is still used to cover roads today.

James Ramsay MacDonald (1866 - 1937)

Politician and British Prime Minister. Led the first Labour government in 1924.

Sir John Alexander MacDonald (1815 - 1891)

First Prime Minister of Canada. Born in Glasgow, died in Ottawa, Canada. He was central to bringing about the confederation of Canada (1867) and the construction of the Canadian Pacific Railway.

Kirkpatrick Macmillan (1813 - 1878)

Inventor. Invented the bicycle, but never patented it and it was therefore widely copied.

Sir Alexander Mackenzie (1764 - 1820)

Born on the Isle of Lewis. Emigrated to Cananda and worked as a fur trader. The first to journey down the river which bears his name.

James MacPherson (1736-1796)

Writer who "discovovered" the Ossian poems, which kicked off Romantic literature all over the world. The poems were later discovered to be mostly fraudulent, but the impact was immense. The Romantic movement was thereafter associated with ancient folk tales and the like, making successful the works of Scott, the Grimm Brothers and Wagner.

James Clerk Maxwell (1831 - 1879)

Mathematician and Physicist. Contributed significantly to the study of electro-magnetism and prepared the way for quantum physics. Ranks along with Newton and Einstein as one of the World's greatest physicists.

Sir Roderick Impey Murchison (1792 - 1871)

Geologist and Geographer. Born in Tarradale. In 1835 he established the Silurian geological system, and with Sedgwick, the Devonian system. Led a survey of the Russian Empire (1840 - 1845) and predicted the discovery of gold in Australia. A founder of the Royal Geological Society of London. The Murchison Falls (Uganda) and the Murchison River (Australia) are named after him.

John Napier (1550 - 1617)

Mathematician and Astronomer. Devised "Napier's Rods" or "Napier's Bones" which permitted easy multiplication by addition, and this led to him defining the concept of logarithms. Also invented the decimal point.

James Beaumont Neilson (1792 - 1865)

Invented the hot blast oven, which was a great advance in the iron industry. His process reduced the amount of coal needed to produce iron, and greatly increased efficiency to satisfy the demands of the railway and shipbuilding industries.

Mungo Park (1771 - 1806)

Explorer. He mapped large areas of the interior of Africa for the first time, determined the course of the Niger and died trying to find its source.

Sir Walter Scott (1771 - 1832)

Great Scottish patriot, writer and poet. Educated at the Old High School in Edinburgh, he then studied Law at the University of Edinburgh and became an advocate. He did much towards identifying and nurturing a Scottish cultural identity. His literary works include the Waverley Novels, but also he was a translator, biographer (of Napoleon) and passionate collector of all things Scottish. He was buried in the ruins of Dryburgh Abbey.

John Duns Scotus (1265 - 1308)

Philosopher and Theologian. Reknown for his scepticism, which led to the word "Dunses" or "Dunces" being used to describe those who were regarded as not being very clever. In 1991, the Vatican elevated Scotus to the status of "venerable", the first step on the route to Saint-hood.

Sir James Young Simpson (1811 - 1870)

Obstetrician, and son of a baker. Pioneer in the use of anaesthetics, particularly chloroform, developing its use in surgery and midwifery. He championed its use against medical and religious opposition. Queen Victoria used chloroform during child-birth, and this brought general acceptance. Also pioneered obstetric techniques and responsible for much reform of hospital practice.

James Small (1730 - 1793)

Inventor of the iron plough, replacing the existing cumbersome and less robust wooden ploughs.

Adam Smith (1723 - 1790)

Economist. His book "Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations" was the corner-stone of the concept of political economy. Born in Kirkaldy, he was a professor at the University of Glasgow.

Robert Louis Stevenson (1850 - 1894)

Author. His works included "Kidnapped" and "Treasure Island". Suffered from poor health and died in Samoa.

Dugald Stewart (1753 - 1828)

Published "Outlines of Moral Philosophy". A follower of the Common-Sense Philosophy, he systematised the doctrine of the Scottish School, allowing full share to psychological considerations.

Robert William Thomson (1822 - 1873)

Invented the vulcanised rubber pneumatic tyre. He patented his invention in 1845, which was successfully tested in London, however it was abandoned because it was thought too expensive for common use. The tyre was re-invented by John Dunlop in 1888. Thomson's invention is commemorated by a plaque in his native Stonehaven. He also patented the fountain pen (1849) and a steam traction engine (1867).

William Thomson (Lord Kelvin of Largs) (1824 - 1907)

Mathematician and Physicist. Brought up in Scotland, although born in Ireland, he is perhaps best known for the absolute temperature scale which takes his name (Kelvin).

Sir Robert Alexander Watson-Watt (1892 - 1973)

Physicist, born in Brechin. Developed and introduced RADAR during World War II.

James Watt (1736 - 1819)

Developed the steam engine into a practical source of power and invented the governor as a control device.

Sorry if this that was boring, but necessary to give some idea.

The idea that Hungary and Poland have had the same impact as Scotland is totally absurd. As far as I know, Poland and Hungary were only sources of individual contributers rather than centers of important cultural movements. I've never heard of the Hungarian Enlightenment for instance. The concept familiar known in the the English-Speaking world as "social sciences" is Scottish in origin; the industrial revolution was pioneered by Scots; the fields of geology, economics, industrial engineering, sociology, anthropology, anathesiology were pioneered in Scotland. Perhaps more importantly, the idea of progress as a governing force in history is a product of the Scottish Enlightenment.

And before you go too far mocking the size of the independent Scottish kingdom, remember that eastern Europe is largely flat and very easy to conquer whereas Scotland was and is topographically more complicated and harder to unify. Every civ involved with Scotland has found that out to their cost. This is shown by the fact that the Romans built 2 giant walls that cost them a good portion of their GDP rather than subdue the small area to the north. Remeber also that the British Empire was a partnership between England AND Scotland, like the Austro-Hugarian Empire after 1867. It could be more informatively called the Anglo-Scottish Empire. I'm a history student, but I can't see much role for Hungary and Poland except as filling up free space in Eastern Europe on a game-map.

Last edited by Parsifal; September 2, 2002 at 22:15.
Old September 3, 2002, 01:01   #21
Tiberius
Emperor

Parsifal Parsifal, *sigh*

Do you really think that my list is complete? I tried to keep it short for the sake of the others.

Quote:
I have heard of some of the guys you mentioned, but they are of peripheral interest
So the binary code, the C vitamin or hydrogen bomb are of peripheral interest? If you say so

Probably you didn't read my post carefully.
Quote:
PS I really don't want to transform this in a "who's better, who's smarter, who's more important" competition, but if Scotland, Finnland and Serbia are there, I'd like to see there Hungary or Poland, as well.
All I'm asking is a chance, to be there, on the list, so people could vote them (or not). If they prefer to vote Scotland, so be it.
--Woody Allen

Last edited by Tiberius; September 3, 2002 at 05:39.
Old September 3, 2002, 06:54   #22
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Parsifal

I am aware that Hungary and Poland had large medieval empires.

In the case of the Finns, they once inhabited most of north eastern Europe, and I can't see how the Poles and Hungarians are more important. The Serbs also had a large Medieval empire.

But in the case of the Scots, they were far more important. Ever hear of the Scottish Enlightenment. David Hume, Adam Smith, James Hutton, etc. Gave us modern capitalism, the historiography of progress which made marxism possible, geology. The idea of the social sciences is a product of the Scottish enlightenment. Also, James Watt, the guy whose development of the steam engine made the Industrial Revolution possible. Then later there was Alexander Graham Bell (telephone), John Logie Baird (television), James Dewar (vacuum flask), Robert Watson-Watt (radar), Alexander Fleming (penicillin), John Loudon MacAdam (tarmac), and many, many more.
People all over the world sing Amazing Grace and Auld Lang Syne. And the modern historical novel began with Scott, imitated by Tolstoy, Austen, Hardy and eveyone elseto give us the most popular novels of the 19th century. In adddition, to golf, tartan, whisky,etc, Scotland has clearly more important than Poland and Hungary put together in terms of influence on modern culture, ( I am aware of Marie Curie and Copernicus).
Scotland was part of the UK.

I don't think tartan counts as a cultural icon.

the Steam engine did not make the industrial revolution possible, its deveopment was caused by it.

Scotland was only ever a medieval society when on its own, it can't be included as a civ for the game
Old September 3, 2002, 07:21   #23
Kalgacus
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by TheStinger

Scotland was part of the UK.

I don't think tartan counts as a cultural icon.

the Steam engine did not make the industrial revolution possible, its deveopment was caused by it.

Scotland was only ever a medieval society when on its own, it can't be included as a civ for the game
That's not true TheStinger. The Union was in 1707, well into the modern era. England and Scotland ceased to exist as independent political entities in the same year, but England is in the game. America was only a modern society own its own, yet they are in the game. Scotland was independent for almost 1000 years, whereas America has been independent a quarter of that period. The Zulu, Aztecs and Iroquois are confined to the ancient era and the Celts and Iroquois were never independent entities.

Of course tartan is a cultural icon, jeese, you do talk some nonsense. Please put a little more thought into your posts in future.

Quote:

So the binary code, the C vitamin or hydrogen bomb are of peripheral interest? If you say so

Probably you didn't read my post carefully.
Having read Parsifal's post, I don't think you understood him correctly. He meant, rightly or wrongly, that they are of peripheral interest because there were not part of a concentrated movement. Am I right Parsifal?
Tiberius, knowing a bit about all the civs under discussion, I don't think your going to establish that the Scots and Hungarians are equals in these terms. The guys only Parsifal's biography list are more important even than the ones you choose to place at the head of yours. Albert von Szent-Györgyi and Sándor Körösi Csoma are important, but there are guys not on parsifal's list just as important like Fraser.
Old September 3, 2002, 07:32   #24
TheStinger
King

[QUOTE] Originally posted by Kalgacus

That's not true TheStinger. The Union was in 1707, well into the modern era. England and Scotland ceased to exist as independent political entities in the same year, but England is in the game. America was only a modern society own its own, yet they are in the game. Scotland was independent for almost 1000 years, whereas America has been independent a quarter of that period. The Zulu, Aztecs and Iroquois are confined to the ancient era and the Celts and Iroquois were never independent entities.

Of course tartan is a cultural icon, jeese, you do talk some nonsense. Please put a little more thought into your posts in future.

EDIT- my reply
Scotland never amounted to being more than a small european power. I'm not defending the inclusion of other nations just saying that Scotland shouldn't be in.

I'll put as much though as I want into my posts as I want than you.

Just because tartan is everywhere doesn't make it a cultural icon. What is cultural about colourful patchwork.
Old September 3, 2002, 07:37   #25
fittstim
Warlord

I'm wondering what the big deal is?

Poland and Hungary where two very large powerful Kingdoms/Empires - albeit a while ago. Scotland was not.

Scotland has as many merits for inclusion as does Albania.
Old September 3, 2002, 07:39   #26
TheStinger
King

Quote:
Originally posted by fittstim
I'm wondering what the big deal is?

Poland and Hungary where two very large powerful Kingdoms/Empires - albeit a while ago. Scotland was not.

Scotland has as many merits for inclusion as does Albania.
Old September 3, 2002, 08:57   #27
Tiberius
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kalgacus
...I don't think your going to establish that the Scots and Hungarians are equals in these terms. The guys only Parsifal's biography list are more important even than the ones you choose to place at the head of yours.
In what terms should the scots and the hungarians be equal? Or in what way are the scots more important? How do you count this? In total number of inventions / nation or in Nobel Prize winners / square km or how?
The mongols have no scientific or cultural achievements, yet they are in. I also can vote aborigines or aliens but the hungarians, who were for centuries a powerful kingdom and later gave the world important scientists, inventors or artists, not? And why not? Because some arrogant young student thinks that hungarian scientist "are of peripheral interest" and
Quote:
I can't see much role for Hungary and Poland except as filling up free space in Eastern Europe on a game-map.
Did I ask to replace Scotland with Hungary in the poll? No. Then why does he insult me and my nation (and the Poles, too) ?
--Woody Allen
Old September 3, 2002, 12:32   #28
Parsifal
Settler

Quote:

In what terms should the scots and the hungarians be equal? Or in what way are the scots more important? How do you count this? In total number of inventions / nation or in Nobel Prize winners / square km or how?
The mongols have no scientific or cultural achievements, yet they are in. I also can vote aborigines or aliens but the hungarians, who were for centuries a powerful kingdom and later gave the world important scientists, inventors or artists, not? And why not? Because some arrogant young student thinks that hungarian scientist "are of peripheral interest" and
Did I ask to replace Scotland with Hungary in the poll? No. Then why does he insult me and my nation (and the Poles, too) ?
I'll level with you Tiberius, I'm a Canadian but I've recently been reading about the Scots, and I was stunned by how important they really were. Before I was ignorant. North American historical scholarship is only beginning to understand how important they were, and so I expect and find sky-high levels of ignorance on the subject, which probably explains my apparent "arrogance". Personally, I am biased towards the history of ideas rather than empires, that is why I would favor the Scots over the Hungarians and Poles, but I admit that Poland and Hungary both had larger empires. However, in these terms neither Poland nor Hungary are significant on a large historical scale. In terms of territory the Khazaks, the Mali, the Parthians, the berbers, the Avars, the Huns, the Bantu, the Scythians, etc, etc, have had territories and empires which in these terms of historical size dwarf Hungary. Yet most of these civs are not much more than irrelevant to the main-stream of history. Civs are important, in my view, because of their contributions to the "mainstream" of history: this is the story that emerges when one traces the roots of today's dominant cultural and political forces. Not just selecting at random large transient empires from various periods and sticking them in the poll.
I'm sure you will then ask why I included civs like the Aborigines and Polynesians and the Canadians and Australians. The answer I would give is that I am aware that others seek historical balance and the satisfaction of their own liberal and national feelings. However, I couldn't and wouldn't include every one of them. You should take note that the Poles are in the Poll, hidden to the ignorant as "the Serbs or other Slavic civ". In hindsight because there are about 10 options I chose not to use, I would have included Hungary if given the chance again. But this is only a small poll on the topic of a computer game, so let's not take it too seriously.

BTW, thanks Kalgacus for your support! :goodjob:
Old September 3, 2002, 13:27   #29
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 03:32
I'm going to have to go with the Inca, because we need a good Civ to fill out that abandoned continent south of the Aztecs... Geographical distribution.
Old September 4, 2002, 14:14   #30
Kalgacus
Settler

Tiberius, I was defending Parsifal because I agreed with what he was saying and your tone of your writing was slightly aggressive.

I know that you disagree, but I think it is very difficult to argue that Hungary has the same importance as Scotland in terms of influence on the modern world. Parsifal's case is very strong, so I think that it is up to you to supply new arguments if you want to make the case for your country.