Old September 25, 2002, 20:46   #1
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 19:33
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Director of Foreign Affairs Campaign Thread
Candidates:

GeneralTacticus

Campaign Speech:

Good evening, citizens of Chiron, both those who are here in person and those who listen in the privacy of their own homes. I have come before you to speak, to tell you why you should elect me as Director of Foreign Affairs for the UN Peacekeepers. While it is most regrettable that such a post should be needed at all, we cannot change the past, and must instead look to the future.

Now, the duties of my office in dealing with other factions are to promote the interests of the UNP and all of humanity, and to abide by the UN Charter. If elected, the central point in my efforts to carry out these duties will be realpolitik. Out of the three duties that I have mentioned, the most paramount for me are the interests of the United Nations Peacekeepers. You elect me, not the citizens of any other faction. We are all humans here together, but my responsibility is to you, not to any other faction.

In accordance with this, I will make sure that every exchange we make with another faction is one that ultimately works in our favour. I will not simply give things away for free, unless our own security depends upon it. I will make every effort to ensure that our reputation remains spotless with other factions, but in the last analysis, honour must take second place to survival.

On treaties: I will make every effort to ensure that we have at least a Treaty of Friendship with other factions, as long as this is possible. Pacts of Brotherhood (or Sisterhood) will be considered carefully, but we must be sure beforehand that the faction we are considering a pact with will be a worthwhile and dependable ally.

On matters of technology exchange, I will be sure to consult fully with relevant directors before authorising tech trading; the Director of Research will always be consulted, while others will be consulted when the technology involved pertains to their own portfolios. Any trade that will involve us giving away an important military or Secret Project tech will be fully polled before a decision is reached.

If another faction comes to us for a loan, or if we require one ourselves, this will be largely a matter for our Director of Energy and Industry. Though I will advise him on the subject, the decision will be his to make and mine to execute.

If we decide that we must resort to military action against a particular faction, I will advise that we avoid direct sneak attacks against them – we all know what happened to Japan in World War II, or Iraq in the Gulf War. I would instead advocate that we organize collective action with our allies, or deliver demands to our enemies as conditions for the continuance of peace.

Finally, my realist principles notwithstanding, I believe it is a moral imperative that we obey the requirements of any and all agreements we may sign. Failure to do so will drastically diminish the respect and trust of the United Nations both at home and abroad.

Thank you, citizens, and I hope to see you on election day.

Last edited by GeneralTacticus; September 26, 2002 at 17:27.
Old September 25, 2002, 20:46   #2
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Any questions?
Old September 26, 2002, 08:36   #3
AdamTG02
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4WDG Delian LeagueC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Local Time: 04:33
What role do human rights issues play in your foreign policy? That is, do you intend to favor more Democratic nations when making treaties and/or pacts?
Old September 26, 2002, 09:58   #4
Mellian
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Queen

Local Time: 03:33
...or the Mexicans during the Second Mexican War

-Mellian
Old September 26, 2002, 10:32   #5
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 08:33
idea what if we have two bloodpacts with other factions and those two declare war on eachother (by sneak attack or irriation or whatever) and the both ask for our support what would you advice?
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old September 26, 2002, 17:25   #6
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Quote:
What role do human rights issues play in your foreign policy? That is, do you intend to favor more Democratic nations when making treaties and/or pacts?
Generally I will try to maintain good relations with more democratic factions, as those who favour democracy are also more likely to be friendly towards us. I would not, however, advocate a war for the sole purpose of imposing democracy on another faction.

Quote:
idea what if we have two bloodpacts with other factions and those two declare war on eachother (by sneak attack or irriation or whatever) and the both ask for our support what would you advice?
As long as we have reasonably friendly relations with both, refuse to help and ask them to stop fighting. If we do not, be prepared to lose one of our pactmates.

Last edited by GeneralTacticus; September 27, 2002 at 23:19.