Old September 26, 2002, 09:47   #1
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 03:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
First game with Greeks
I'm just finishing my first game with the Greeks so I thought I'd post a few comments. I found them to be a pretty good civ trait-wise now that commercial has been fixed a little with 1.29. Its still irritating that marketplaces and banks are not cheaper for commercial civs (at least I dont think they are, I didnt check )

The UU is a strong defender of course, but for this game I used an offensive early strategy where the lack of early effective offensive firepower cost me a bagfull of archers (it took me a long time to get iron).

Overall, a pretty good civ for a non-militarist.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old September 26, 2002, 10:03   #2
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 09:34
If you love the new commercial trait (like I do), you may give the Indians (rel/com) and especially the French (ind/com) a shot. Because religious and industrious are better traits than scientific (the 2nd Greek trait), these civs are now very powerful. In addition, both have a medieval UU, which is poor by stats, but perfectly timed and cool looking (pure eye candy, I know, but anyway).
Old September 26, 2002, 10:08   #3
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 04:34
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I would think, then, that Rome would be attractive as well coming from a non-non-militarist).
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old September 26, 2002, 10:21   #4
SpencerH
Emperor

Rome was and is very good but I liked them in earlier patches because of the UU. I disagree about the scientific trait though, I find with 1.29 that I have to do way more of my own research than I did before since the AI wont trade as much with me.
Old September 26, 2002, 11:30   #5
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 08:34
Speaking of trying new Civs .... I played my first game with the Russians today, on a Tiny map.

I'm playing random Civs on random tiny maps now to get used to the unpredictability and rush-centred game that MP will probably be (in some game modes)

Anyway, I found that even on a map that small the Expansionist trait was very useful. My ability to rapidly expand meant that I knew very quickly that the AI civs next to me (a scary duo - Iroquis and Chinese) were right on the edge of the continent. In fact, I probably knew it before they did. This meant that I could trap them into tiny parts of the landmass through the cunning placement of cities and scout blockades while building up my military to crush them. The power I gained from this conquest was more than enough to see my easily steamroller the French (who had a better start position).

This was only on Regent ... and Tiny maps are easy, but I was impressed with how the Expansionist trait, which I'd always thought was weak on smaller maps, was my key to victory in many ways.
Old September 26, 2002, 14:07   #6
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 01:34
Re: First game with Greeks
Quote:
Originally posted by SpencerH
I'm just finishing my first game with the Greeks so I thought I'd post a few comments. I found them to be a pretty good civ trait-wise now that commercial has been fixed a little with 1.29. Its still irritating that marketplaces and banks are not cheaper for commercial civs (at least I dont think they are, I didnt check )

The UU is a strong defender of course, but for this game I used an offensive early strategy where the lack of early effective offensive firepower cost me a bagfull of archers (it took me a long time to get iron).

Overall, a pretty good civ for a non-militarist.
I have grown to appreciate the Greeks a little more under 1.29f also. Scientific is nice for cheap buildings, and commercial is helpful, particularly in the late game -- neither are my favorite traits by any stretch of the imagination, but they seem to work pretty well together.

What I've really come to enjoy is the hoplite - a 20-shield defender that I often keep around until Nationalism or even Replaceable Parts, with limited upgardes as needed in times of war and/or on border areas. The commercial trait, combined with cheap libraries and with the extra gold saved by not having to upgrade defenders makes for a competitive research civ, and a great trading powerhouse. Big downside for me remains my inability to control the timing of my GA -- if an AI attacks, a hoplite is going to win a battle and boom! I'm in GA mode.

Catt
Old September 26, 2002, 16:40   #7
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Local Time: 00:34
That GA problem is a deal breaker for me, however the Greeks can get early GLs on defense
Old September 26, 2002, 17:07   #8
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 04:34
The problem with that is the GL generation rate is halved for defenders (1/32 or 1/24 with the HE).

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old September 26, 2002, 17:36   #9
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Local Time: 00:34
Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
The problem with that is the GL generation rate is halved for defenders (1/32 or 1/24 with the HE).

-Arrian
They are not common, but your defenders do need to survive in the 1st place. Spearmen have a habit of dying often (unless of course its a tank thats attacking )
Old September 27, 2002, 08:37   #10
SpencerH
Emperor

I love this quote from the Reynolds on RoN interview

"“I was the one in Civilization II who said no, no thank you, we're not going to have phalanxes beating tanks”, Reynolds says. "

He's gone and guess what....
Old September 27, 2002, 19:01   #11
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by SpencerH
I love this quote from the Reynolds on RoN interview

"“I was the one in Civilization II who said no, no thank you, we're not going to have phalanxes beating tanks”, Reynolds says. "

He's gone and guess what....

I know, I know!!!!!!!!!

They dropped the Phalanx from Civ 3.

"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."