patrickjb53
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: MoO for WinXP
Quote:
Originally posted by jaaland
Howdy folks,

Just found you guys....I'm trying to play MoO on my WinXP box and not having much luck....I have it on my Mac and LOVE the game but since I don't have that machine up right now, I've been seriously jonseing....Help! I downloaded the game but when I try to install it I get the message that it wants me to install it from a disk (?)...Any suggestions would be much appreciated...

Jon
Here's want I did to get Moo1 to play on XP Pro.

1. Install the game (obviously)
2. Right Click on "Orion.exe" "Properties"
3. Click on "Memory" tab.
4. On the "Expanded (ems) memory" set to 4096 (this may be higher than needed, but it worked. You can play with this if you want)
5. Apply settings (click on 'Apply' on the bottom of properties screen)

That should be it, start the game by double clicking "Orion.exe"

This may work on Windows 2000 Pro as well, but I have not tested as of yet.

One problem I forgot about, for copy protection, you are asked a question from the manual. It shows you a picture of a ship, and you must tell which one it is from a selection. It tells you what page to go to, but if you don't have your manual and answer the question wrong, you game end!

You may also have a problem with your sound.
If so, I downloaded a dos emulator from:

VDMSound
http://ntvdm.cjb.net/

VDMSound is a program that overcomes what has probably been the most exasperating limitation of DOS boxes since Windows NT -- sound support. VDMSound is an open, plug-in oriented platform that emulates an MPU-401 interface (for outputting high-quality MIDI music), a SoundBlaster compatible (SB16, SBPro 2, SB2, SBPro, etc.) implementation (for digital sound effects and FM/AdLib music), as well as a standard game-port interface (for playing games with joystick support). In development are improvements to the existing joystick emulation, and possibly VESA support.

VDMSound works on Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000 and Windows XP. It does not work on Windows 95, 98 or Me.
patrickjb53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2003, 02:32   #32
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:35
Sound works for me on XP PRO, but it is really a function of the sound card emulation for SB.
BTW you get three chances to guess the ship. If you are on the the last one and are unsure, look it up.I posted the list here a few times and so have others. It can be found on Jonsullivans page as well.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2003, 19:33   #33
Whoster
Settler

Local Time: 08:35
Re: Re: MoO for WinXP
Quote:
Originally posted by patrickjb53

Here's want I did to get Moo1 to play on XP Pro.

1. Install the game (obviously)
2. Right Click on "Orion.exe" "Properties"
3. Click on "Memory" tab.
4. On the "Expanded (ems) memory" set to 4096 (this may be higher than needed, but it worked. You can play with this if you want)
5. Apply settings (click on 'Apply' on the bottom of properties screen)

That should be it, start the game by double clicking "Orion.exe"

This may work on Windows 2000 Pro as well, but I have not tested as of yet.

One problem I forgot about, for copy protection, you are asked a question from the manual. It shows you a picture of a ship, and you must tell which one it is from a selection. It tells you what page to go to, but if you don't have your manual and answer the question wrong, you game end!

You may also have a problem with your sound.
If so, I downloaded a dos emulator from:

VDMSound
http://ntvdm.cjb.net/

VDMSound is a program that overcomes what has probably been the most exasperating limitation of DOS boxes since Windows NT -- sound support. VDMSound is an open, plug-in oriented platform that emulates an MPU-401 interface (for outputting high-quality MIDI music), a SoundBlaster compatible (SB16, SBPro 2, SB2, SBPro, etc.) implementation (for digital sound effects and FM/AdLib music), as well as a standard game-port interface (for playing games with joystick support). In development are improvements to the existing joystick emulation, and possibly VESA support.

VDMSound works on Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000 and Windows XP. It does not work on Windows 95, 98 or Me.
That works for some people, but there are some systems [and we aren't sure if it's video, soundcard (I think it could be this) memory or motherboard] that's causing it to not work at all on some systems....

Last edited by Whoster; January 21, 2003 at 20:02.
Whoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2003, 20:12   #34
watorrey
Warlord

Local Time: 03:35
I just got moo1 to work on xp. After filling in the working directory and adding the ems memory, i was getting file not found errors. So i just copied the contents of the game directory on the cd to the orion directory on the hd. It seems it wasn't copying all the files to the hard drive.

For the sound setup, i just went w/ what it came up with for defaults.

Not sure i will actually play it much, but it is good to know i could get it to work.
watorrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2003, 20:53   #35
vmxa1
Deity

Great.
Old February 4, 2003, 03:46   #36
patrickjb53
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Whoster

I'd be curious as to why. For example, if the pro versions don't have an EMS manager, then why do we have that option? You could be right. It wouldn't be the first time Micosoft has done something stupid like this.
MOO1 will work on XP Pro. I have been playing MOO1 for about a month while waiting for MOO3 release.

You must RIGHT click on the "ORION.EXE" file. On the "PROPERTIES", you will see a "MEMORY" tab, enter a value for "EMS"(Expanded Memory System). I would suggest at least 4096 for ems.

You will only see the memory tab when you right click on 16-bit applications, such as "ORION.EXE". 16-bit program are your old dos programs. If you right click on a 32-bit application there will not be a memory tab.

You probably will not have sound when playing MOO1. If you get MOO1 to work, I can give you some ideas on getting your sound to work. I used a dos sound emulator and sound works fine when I play MOO1.
Old February 4, 2003, 11:39   #37
Whoster
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by patrickjb53

MOO1 will work on XP Pro. I have been playing MOO1 for about a month while waiting for MOO3 release.

You must RIGHT click on the "ORION.EXE" file. On the "PROPERTIES", you will see a "MEMORY" tab, enter a value for "EMS"(Expanded Memory System). I would suggest at least 4096 for ems.

You will only see the memory tab when you right click on 16-bit applications, such as "ORION.EXE". 16-bit program are your old dos programs. If you right click on a 32-bit application there will not be a memory tab.

You probably will not have sound when playing MOO1. If you get MOO1 to work, I can give you some ideas on getting your sound to work. I used a dos sound emulator and sound works fine when I play MOO1.
I tried the options that you mentioned over a month ago and they didn't work on my system running XP Pro.
Whoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2003, 11:49   #38
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Try creating a shortcut to orion.exe and making the changes to ems by right-clicking the shortcut. That's how it works on 2000 and it may work on XP. Also, be sure to check the full screen option.
Harry Seldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2003, 13:25   #39
vmxa1
Deity

I used 2048 for EMS in Mem tab. Here is the Misc tab:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	moo1misc.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	35925  
Old February 5, 2003, 06:09   #40
patrickjb53
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Whoster

I tried the options that you mentioned over a month ago and they didn't work on my system running XP Pro.
What kind of errors are you getting?
Where you ever able to find the "Memory" tab?
What's not working MOO or/and the sound?
Old February 16, 2003, 21:44   #41
MatthewOutland
Settler

Hi I now know how to downlaod MOO in win XP (just put in in C drive and also get DOSbox) but I cannot figure out how to patch version 1.3 to it!

I am sorry to bother but I would really appreciate this....the original moo is so bug-ridden and filled with so many minor flaws it's unbelievable....
MatthewOutland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2003, 17:39   #42
Bobbiac
Settler

Local Time: 03:35
download patch and replace old files
Bobbiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2003, 03:47   #43
patrickjb53
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by MatthewOutland
Hi I now know how to downlaod MOO in win XP (just put in in C drive and also get DOSbox) but I cannot figure out how to patch version 1.3 to it!

I am sorry to bother but I would really appreciate this....the original moo is so bug-ridden and filled with so many minor flaws it's unbelievable....
I believe you copy the moo patch file into you moo directory. When you run the patch the new files or overwrite the old files.