Old September 27, 2002, 01:16   #31
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 02:37
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
I'm just pointing out to supporters of the system that it is there system that produces the things they do not like.
Where does 'do not like' come from? I'm not sure if Jimmy was wishing he still lived in '69.

He did a good job of painting the contrast of only some 30 odd years in an area that has seen more change than most of the rest of the Western world.
Old September 27, 2002, 01:19   #32
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 01:37
people call people *****es all the time. what do I care if someone calls my sister a *****?

I don't see how it relates.
Old September 27, 2002, 01:21   #33
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

but I must admit PC bullshit doesn't bother me.

I'm not some whacko right winger that gets upset over such things. I have more important considerations in life.

So I have no problem adapting to PC rules.
Old September 27, 2002, 01:21   #34
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
people call people *****es all the time. what do I care if someone calls my sister a *****?

I don't see how it relates.
Really? Hmmm. If someone walked up on the street and called a lady I was with a beatch and she did not know him, I'd punch his lights out. Maybe that's just me.

If she knew him, I'd leave it up to her to punch his lights out.
Old September 27, 2002, 01:24   #35
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:37
The PC movement is quite annoying. And contrary to popular belief, it exists on both the right and left.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old September 27, 2002, 01:31   #36
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia
The way I see it (and I will say right now that I am generally supportive of political correctness) is that the danger of PC taken to extremes is that it becomes victim-defined.

In a nightmare scenario, this can then lead to action taken against somebody for a slur that they did not intend.

Orange - I think you might be referring to an incident where an aide to the Mayor of Washington DC used the word "niggardly" correctly (to mean, well, mean and tightfisted) and had to resign. I haven't heard of a teacher getting into the argument.

Unfortunately, Orange is correct:
Quote:
Posted on Sat, Aug. 31, 2002

Teacher who taught synonym of stingy ordered to apologize

WILMINGTON, N.C. - A fourth-grade teacher was ordered to send apology letters home with her students after a vocabulary lesson that included a word that means stingy but sounds like a racial slur.

Stephanie Bell taught the word "niggardly" to her class last week in an effort to improve her students' vocabularies.

Now a counselor will meet with Bell's students at Williams Elementary School. One parent wants Bell fired.

Norm Shearin, deputy superintendent for the New Hanover County Schools, said Friday the school's principal is dealing with the situation.

"Our position is that it was an inappropriate action in terms of using that word at that grade level, in that context," he said. "It was a bad choice."

Dictionaries and other language references trace the word's origins to Scandinavia and attribute no offensive meaning to it.

Bell, who is white, defended her choice of the word and said she didn't mean to offend anyone.

"If these children read it, they are going to need to know what they are reading," she said. "My concern is that we are treading a fine line here. ... What word do we take out next?"

The word was inappropriate for fourth-graders because it sounds similar to a racial slur and 9-year-olds can't distinguish between them, parent Akwana Walker said

"My daughter told me what that word was, and I told her not to complete that part of her homework," said Walker, who is black. "Common sense tells you not to put a word like that on the board."

The word came up Aug. 20 during a comparison of two characters from different stories. One character was a Hispanic girl; the other was a white boy.

Bell's class talked briefly about the proper words to use when describing a person's race. Then, the class discussed other ways to describe people. One child described the boy as stingy. Bell said she thought this would be a good chance to find a word for the day, a practice she has used this year.

"The idea for the word of the day is to pick part of the curriculum or something you can extend from it," she said. She began looking for a synonym for "stingy." The children's dictionary offered "self-centered." But Bell said most of her students already knew that word. That's when she landed on the word "niggard." She added the "-ly" because the class was studying adverbs.

Bell explained the meaning of the word and told the students how to use it in a sentence, something they would have to do on their spelling tests to gain extra points.

A few days later, Bell received a letter from Walker saying the word was not allowed in her house, no matter what it means.

Walker met Thursday with Bell and the school's principal, Susan Hahn. Walker's daughter was moved to another class. Walker also wants Bell removed from her teaching position.

The flap is similar to a 1999 incident in Washington, D.C., when an aide to Mayor Anthony Williams resigned under fire after using the word "niggardly" to describe how he must manage office money. Williams later rehired the aide.

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate...al/3974978.htm
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old September 27, 2002, 01:33   #37
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

No, I do not wish I still lived in 1969. I am quite aware that any trip down memory lane includes potholes and loose gravel.

I also know quite a bit about the changes in the black communities in the south from the early seventies to now. I have worked much of that time in such communities. I have seen many neighborhoods changed through federal programs that the average person is not aware of.

Typical of southern towns in my state at that time was "niggertown", areas literally often on the other side of the railroad tracks, no paved streets, no municipal water or sewer, most of the homes just shacks with no plumbing. I worked in these communities daily, swinging a hammer and doing the construction grunt work. Later, I graduated to working as a project administrator, housing technican, grant writer. I have seen tremendous progress on some fronts and horrible developments on others. Black families were in a sense stronger back before drugs devastation set in. Now what I see is that the typical black family is a grandmother raising her grandchildren on a social security check, husband dead, sons in prison, daughter is a crack head and the grandchildren's daddys are in prison or just AWOL. Its worse than it was before in the poorest of neighborhoods, but thats because so very many of the stable black families have escaped by moving up the economic ladder. This is good.

Now we are seeing an incredible influx of hispanics moving into these neighborhoods.

I ramble on. Sorry.
Old September 27, 2002, 01:35   #38
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I have friends who call every woman a ***** . and yes they called my girlfriends *****es. Although in most cases they were *****es
Old September 27, 2002, 01:37   #39
notyoueither
Deity

We all have a cross to bear.
Old September 27, 2002, 01:54   #40
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

I'll tell you a true story that might illustrate why I find political correctness so lame. Once in a small town called Peachland I was tasked to renovate about 25 homes in an all black area. I came upon a small four room house that had eight residents, four of which were mentally retarded.

As I was surveying the property I noted that there was no porch or steps at the rear exit. I walked over there and stood on a small mound under the rear door, the sill of which was about five feet above the ground. The mound was slippery and wet, despite the hot dry weather.

As I went into the house I realized of course that there was no bathroom when I saw the slop buckets near the beds. The raised mound I had been standing on was the result of the emptying of the human excrement out the rear door over the past 40 or so years.

Yes, it stank in the backyard, but no, that was not unusual. Most of the homes that had bathrooms had no septic systems, the waste was just piped out into the back yard or into buried fifty gallon drums.

This was in the early eighties.

So, when I hear someone harping on one of these PC themes and I know they have never known such conditions I just want to tell them to shut up. There are more substantive issues still out there.
Old September 27, 2002, 02:03   #41
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

no offense, but what does that story have to do with political correctness?

I have seen similar conditions overseas. Yet I still have no problem with politcal correctness. Yeah its stupid, but so is teen pop music. I can tolerate both quite easily.
Old September 27, 2002, 02:06   #42
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

B
o
o

H
o
o

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old September 27, 2002, 02:15   #43
Adalbertus
Prince

Local Time: 09:37
The purpose of PC doesn't seem to be ending of suppression, but to reverse it. German feminists try to replace the male nouns by female ones which isn't any better. They complain about jobs with a majority of male employees and at the same time some of them want to drive all men out of pedagogic jobs.
In the name of PC, truths are denied, and finding of truth is refused.
PC is employed when people *want* to feel offended to get a better position. I'm waiting for the day when "black person" is an offending term.
My suggestion:
1) be nice to each other
2) abolish political correctness, it's another form of lie.
Old September 27, 2002, 02:18   #44
notyoueither
Deity

I think PC is being confused with a whole load of other stuff...
Old September 27, 2002, 02:19   #45
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

PC isn't that bad...yet

at least not in the U.S. I can't talk for germany.

there is absolutely no problem with political correctness in the U.S. Like most whiners you just learn to tune them out. I have yet to hear of anyone being thrown in jail because of it.
Old September 27, 2002, 02:19   #46
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
I'm waiting for the day when "black person" is an offending term.
Should "White Person" also be offensive?

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old September 27, 2002, 02:21   #47
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by orange

Should "White Person" also be offensive?
Well, now that you ask...
Old September 27, 2002, 02:23   #48
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 16:37
Quote:
Originally posted by jimmytrick
Oh if it were only that simple.

Its like the case of the teacher using the word niggardly and getting fired. Its not a matter of be offensive, political correctness is a way the newly empowered take revenge on the dastardly white anglo saxon protestant (males). Sad but true.
As the post from The Mad Monk shows, the woman did not get fired.

This is one of the problems in talking about political correctness. The anti-PC crowd believe in a false mythology tha PC is a weapon to control their thoughts.

The vast majority of us will never be punished for using anti-PC terms. So if you don't like using firefighter, then go ahead and say fireman. But if you insist on calling blacks niggers then you can expect people to get upset.

What bugs me about the anti-PC crowd is that they feel they have the right to say whatever they want, but no one should have the right to criticize their choice of words.

Freedom of speech works both ways. We have the right to say what we want, within reason, and people have the right to comment on what we say.

Political correctness is about treating people with respect and eliminating potential barriers. It is one tiny part of a large-scale effort to create equality.

Some people say there are more important issues. That's true, but it is also true that we can do many things at the same time.
Old September 27, 2002, 02:32   #49
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

I can't fathom how anyone could defend the use of political correctness as I have seen it. It must be a disconnect of perspective.
Old September 27, 2002, 02:33   #50
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

there was a sandwich called "the hungry man" at my local deli.

you may have heard of it: 3 eggs, bacon, ham, cheese, whatever. it's a BIG sandwich for like lumberjacks and me

some woman sued the store and now it's called the "hungry person" sandwich. i mean come on.

also, i heard stories of people trying to call "man hole covers" (the sewer caps in the street) "person hole covers". theres too many extremes.

i see no problem with "chairperson", or "firefighter" thogh
Old September 27, 2002, 02:36   #51
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Old September 27, 2002, 02:50   #52
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 04:37
Quote:
some woman sued the store and now it's called the "hungry person" sandwich. i mean come on.
That is totally gay...
Old September 27, 2002, 03:20   #53
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

women shouldn't be eating that much anyways

maybe they should call it the fat b!tch sandwhich
Old September 27, 2002, 05:41   #54
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

I dont think it is being politicaly correct not to use certain words. It is just being decent and sensitive to other people. My Mum used to call black people coloured she meant no offence and thought it stupid she shouldn't be able to use it. I pointed out that it was considered offensive by the vast majority, as she didn't want to cause offenec she tries not to use it.

What is wrong with that.

I suppose it is within your rights to use whatever words you want, however if they offend people with them and continue to do so you are a jerk
Old September 27, 2002, 06:39   #55
ZoboZeWarrior
King

Re: The concept of political correctness.
Mr (not so) Fun. Read some books from autors like Ray Bradbury (for example "Farenheit 451"), and you will know what I think about "Political Correctness".

Is having as avatar a picture of two gays kissing each other politicaly correct ?
Old September 27, 2002, 07:21   #56
Akka
Prince

Using words that are not offensive is called basic respect (ie not calling a black a "nigger" or a girl you don't know a "*****").

Political Correctness, on the other hand, is not about being offensive, it's about authoritarian speech control and giving power to the paranoid side of any supposedly "victimized minority". Or majority.

Anyway, it's about killing the meaning of the language by using blanded words made up in a way that even a touchy little brat would not be able to imagine that he could perhaps be offensed by.

It sucks.
Old September 27, 2002, 07:25   #57
Akka
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by TheStinger
I dont think it is being politicaly correct not to use certain words. It is just being decent and sensitive to other people. My Mum used to call black people coloured she meant no offence and thought it stupid she shouldn't be able to use it. I pointed out that it was considered offensive by the vast majority, as she didn't want to cause offenec she tries not to use it.

What is wrong with that.

I suppose it is within your rights to use whatever words you want, however if they offend people with them and continue to do so you are a jerk
What's in my right is not to have to bear the oversensitivity of any paranoid @ss that take more time to see if there is something he can be offended about rather than seeing if I was really MEANING to be offensive.

What's offensive is the INTENTION, not the words. As someone said, I can call my friend a "bastard", and my sister a "btch" without being offensive. Because I don't MEAN it.
Old September 27, 2002, 07:33   #58
TheStinger
King

if you know the words you use cause offence, then using them is intentionaly being offensive.

I do not mean when you are talking to your sister or friends

I'm talking about the majority view hear not of 1 or 2 paranoid people.
Old September 27, 2002, 07:40   #59
Akka
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by TheStinger
if you know the words you use cause offence, then using them is intentionaly being offensive.

I do not mean when you are talking to your sister or friends

I'm talking about the majority view hear not of 1 or 2 paranoid people.
If you start thinking that "blind" or "deaf" is offensive, or that "chairman" is a conspiracy to take away women's rights, then it IS paranoia.

THAT is PC. PC is for paranoid people. Simple basic respect is for the rest.
Old September 27, 2002, 07:43   #60
TheStinger
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Akka le Vil

If you start thinking that "blind" or "deaf" is offensive, or that "chairman" is a conspiracy to take away women's rights, then it IS paranoia.

THAT is PC. PC is for paranoid people. Simple basic respect is for the rest.
I don't think they are offensive, however if i was for example addressing a group of blind people, and they asked me to describe them as visually impaired I would respect their requset.