Old September 27, 2002, 01:47   #1
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 18:37
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Scenario Making for the Operational Art of War
If anyone's wondering why there's no news on 'Appeasement and Agression', it's because I've become obessed with the classic wargame 'The Operational Art of War' (TOAW).

I'm about halfway done (I think) with making my first scenario for this game, and I'm wondering if anyone here has any experiance with TOAW scenario making, and can provide me with a few tips.

Also, if anyone's got a copy of TOAW: Century of War, that they don't want please let me know - I'm desperate to get this, but I can't find a copy anywhere in Australia
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old September 28, 2002, 07:13   #2
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

And here's a screen shot of the 50th Indian Armoured Brigade and the 3rd Commando brigade in action to liberate Kuala Lumpur from the clutches of a Japanese independant mixed brigade.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	k-l.gif
Views:	153
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	25828  
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
Old September 28, 2002, 07:55   #3
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 02:37
I had my copy of Century of War stolen this summer from my car while I was on vacation, along with much of my CD collection. As an old wargamer, I find TOOW to be a dream come true - a tough opponent that dosn't take 2 hrs to play 1 turn.
Old September 29, 2002, 07:04   #4
Marko
Prince

Local Time: 08:37
I had TOAW vol 1 and liked to play it sometimes but gave my copy last year to a friend who lost it
Old September 30, 2002, 20:18   #5
Case
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by techumseh
As an old wargamer, I find TOOW to be a dream come true - a tough opponent that dosn't take 2 hrs to play 1 turn.
As a new wargamer, I couldn't agree more. TOAW is a near perfect mix of playability and realism.

So I guess that no-one has any experiance with making scenarios for this game? I'd better drag myself off to the TOAW boards and anoy the old timers with my stupid-arsed newbie questions then.
Old September 30, 2002, 20:24   #6
Caspian
Prince

I've just been getting into Operational Level wargaming. I started by downloading Gary Grisby's "War in Russia" which is a good introduction (and also free, which is good). I was going to by OAOW but there are so many different boxed sets and versions that I've been put off. Which is the best version to get?
Old September 30, 2002, 21:49   #7
Case
Emperor

The Century of War version is meant to be by far the best: it includes all the previous versions of TOAW 1 and 2 and adds heaps of new features
Old September 30, 2002, 22:09   #8
Caspian
Prince

Thanks for the advice Case. I'll keep an eye out when I'm next at the shops
Old October 1, 2002, 00:38   #9
Case
Emperor

Good luck - as I recently found out, it's been deleted
Old October 10, 2002, 14:11   #10
Scurry
Settler

i'll be keeping an eye on this thread as i think TOAW is the best wargme out there today. Unfortunately, I can't get the damn thing to install correctly on my machine. I tried for two or three days and gave up. I dunno what te deal is. it installed before....mebbe i shoulda never uninstalled it.

I saw Century of WArfare on te shelf at bestbuy bundled with some other lame looking game thati never heard of. it was only one of two they had. mebbe i shoulda snagged it.

anyway, good luck Case.
Old October 10, 2002, 19:00   #11
Case
Emperor

I managed to find a copy of CoW in a second hand shop last week

If anyone out there has it & wants to play a PBEM game of it with me, let me know
Old October 10, 2002, 22:58   #12
Dr. Nick
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 05:37
Why can't we get these games in third world nations? Why?
Old October 11, 2002, 07:13   #13
Boco
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 03:37
I've checked 5 stores in my area (NJ, USA) with no luck. But then, friends in other states have told me that NJ isn't really a part of the country.

Case, did I read right that a croc was found on a Darwin bus a couple of weeks ago?
Old October 11, 2002, 07:45   #14
Case
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Boco
I've checked 5 stores in my area (NJ, USA) with no luck. But then, friends in other states have told me that NJ isn't really a part of the country.
The games been deleted, and is only available second hand now
Aparently Norm Kroger, the guy who made the game, tried to buy back the rights to the game about 6 months ago, but the games company wouldn't sell.

Quote:
Case, did I read right that a croc was found on a Darwin bus a couple of weeks ago?
Yeah - that kind of stuff is always happening in the Northern Territory.
It was only a small (1 meter) croc

Last edited by Case; October 11, 2002 at 07:51.
Old October 11, 2002, 23:05   #15
Leglaen
Settler

I have both vol. 1 and vol. 2, I bought them when they came out instead of waiting for CoW. Good games, in fact i'm fixing to play Germany 84 as the Warsaw Pact right now.
Old October 12, 2002, 21:57   #16
Boco
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 03:37
Any opinions on Jutland?
While we're at it, have any of you grognards tried HPS simulations Jutland game? I'm wondering whether to buy it. Looks promising at HPS Simulations Promo. Shades of the old Harpoon game with a scenario editor. Any opinions?