Old September 27, 2002, 15:31   #1
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 02:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Toponymy and Uber isle
Not long ago, i mentioned a project to name all the natural features of our continent, all the rivers, lakes, so forth. Well I still think it is a worthwhile excersice,a nd I would like to begin experimenting onb the way to carry it forward, beginning with a great and simple case: Uber Isle, a single, nice and isolated gegraphic unit. All the possible naming issues should become clear was th discussion progresses:

Sorry for not map, but I am yet incapable of making one (a clear map, with all cities and so forth cleared away):
So, lets describe the Island:

Large, generally oval. A smal strip of land connects the main bulk of the Island to the smaler bit of land In which AGC sits. In the southwest corner of the Oval sits a series of hills, 5 tiles long in an L shape. A 4 tile forest is adjacent inland. A 3 tile forest is on the Southeast corner. A single tile of land juts southward. In the Northeast side lies a single tile lake, with a single tile hill NE of it. NW of the lake, 2 seperate, 1 tile hills lay as one move northwards towards AGC.

Now, at the very least, we can say that the lake can be named. BU many other questions remain: Is the land on which AGC rests to be considered as a feaure worth an independent name? If so, is it a Penninsula, or another 'island' connected to the main Island by a one tile ismusth? [spelling]. Aslo, do we name the Hills? The 5 tile chain of hils can easily be seen as a single feature- but do we name each individual hill tile, since they stand alone with no other relevant features? Should the two hills in the N of the Island eb considered one feature? Now, forests can be cut down- should we use time to name features that can and most likely will disappear?. And then there is the question fo the flat lands: there are a few tiles of Plain between AGC and the two hills, the rest is grassland. Does this patch of lains dserve a name? and does the big area of grassland also deserve a name? All these are qestions to be answered.

Now, the purpose of this thread is to discuss what should be named, and how we should go about doing it: it is not here for people to give name suggestions.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old September 27, 2002, 15:56   #2
=OttomusCeasar=
PtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 08:38
The two hill in the north could be named the "Pillars of " something.

The ones in the south could be the "Iron Hills"

We could name the forest in the south, the plains in the north, and the grassland in the south as individual regions/areas.
Old September 27, 2002, 16:41   #3
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 05:38
GePap,
Your map, Sir.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	uberisle380ad.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	25810  
Old September 27, 2002, 16:48   #4
Honor
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:38
As I see it, these are the following features: (1) AGC's peninsula, which is mostly plains, (2) the hill (with gold) ne of AGC, (3) the 3 hills at/near where the peninsula connects to the main island, (4) the grassland dominating the primary portion of the island, (5) the 5 hill tiles by BFM (with iron), (6) the 7 forest tiles ne of BFM. and (8) the small lake on the east side of the island.

As a side note about Uber Island: how amazingly fortunate is it that we have a fresh water source to irrigate from?!? Without it, the island would be nice to have, but not anything special. With it, the island can develop into a great resource for our glorious nation. (Praise be to the Banana for this blessing he bestows upon us, his people.)
Old September 27, 2002, 17:16   #5
GePap
Emperor

First, thank to Aro for the Map:

Second: I like the ides of having all the forest as one feature, since they do connect (diagnols being a connection in this game). lso, i ahd missed the hill next to AGC, so thanks for the remeinder.

I would say that the two hills would work well as a single feature, as OttomusCeasar said, but the other hill would porbably work best as a lone feature, like that near AGC. So, i would agree with 8 features, intead of Honors 7 (small misnumbering act there)
Old September 27, 2002, 17:20   #6
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 04:38
Don't bother with naming the forest - it will one day be cleared anyway.

Otherwise, good ideas.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old September 27, 2002, 17:40   #7
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

I suggest the hill with gold be called the "Lost Settler's Mine" because of all the @$#@$#@ settlers that refused to move during MWIA's term of office. Stupid space bar....................
Old September 27, 2002, 22:42   #8
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 03:38
Quote:
Originally posted by =OttomusCeasar=
The ones in the south could be the "Iron Hills"
Why not the "ferric hills"?

As for the ones in the north, they look pretty auric (is that spelled right?) to me.
Old September 28, 2002, 03:28   #9
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Everyone forgot one land feature of Uber Island-- the great big open Grassland!

Could name it something like "The Fairway"
Old September 28, 2002, 04:53   #10
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 03:38
It's some of the only grassland we didn't have to knock down jungles to get, we might as well name it Eden.
Old September 28, 2002, 09:14   #11
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GodKing
Don't bother with naming the forest - it will one day be cleared anyway.
So we call it the Forest of Evil. We must purge the evil from our island...........
Old September 28, 2002, 09:58   #12
zeit
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 09:38
how about "the valley of shields" for the grassland?, as it is partially bordered by hills to the south and the north, and it has awful lot of shields
the two hills to the north could be named "the horns of uber" or something like that
as for the lake perhaps the "Eden reservoir" or "Eden lake?.
Old September 28, 2002, 10:06   #13
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Gepap,

As you know, Caesarqbear is currently completing an herculean work : a map of the world with absolute coordinates. That will give to each individual tile a perfect, unique, non confusing, easy to locate, identity. Therefore, I think that a name should be given only to groups of tiles having the same geographical nature. Of course, if a forest or a plaine is divided by a river, both parts could be given a name.
Old September 28, 2002, 10:26   #14
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Btw, caesarqbear... Where are you?
Old September 28, 2002, 20:12   #15
Puupertti Ruma
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:38
I like many of the ideas presented here.

Ferric Hills is a good idea and the Lost Settler's Mine is brilliant. Name that has it's roots in know historical event. That's the way many real world terrain features are named. The reason just has been forgotten in the passing of years.

And for the central parts: i strongly favor naming it Eden, or Garden of Eden, or what may we choose. I base my reasoning on a scientific theory that locates Eden on a island near Saudi Arabia. Nowadays it's plain desert, but way back it was a place full of life. Though Uber Island will never be plain desert, it is an island, with beatiful grasslands. Truly a place to call Eden.

Garden of Banana could be hilarious too, though Uber Island lacks jungle where banana lives and grows.

To next issue. Has anyone noticed how much Uber Island resembles a human head from side? The oval form looks like head, and the lake looks like an eye. So the peninsula could be something like 'helmet peninsula' or something like that.

Next the two hills guarding the grass fields and separating the peninsula from it. How about 'Guardians' or 'Guardian Hills' or even 'Guard Pilars'. Also they could be called same as the pilars at Gibraltar Strait, those Hercules made or something, can't remember name of those right now.

These are just my ideas, please feel free to give suggestions and critize
Old September 28, 2002, 20:19   #16
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Puupertti Ruma
To next issue. Has anyone noticed how much Uber Island resembles a human head from side? The oval form looks like head, and the lake looks like an eye. So the peninsula could be something like 'helmet peninsula' or something like that.
I think it looks more like a fish than a human head, with the peninsula being the back fin, maybe call it the "Fininsula" and the city in the middle of the plains "The Fininsula Canal" since it will allow ship access from both east and west.
Old September 28, 2002, 20:24   #17
GePap
Emperor

I would like to restate myself: This is not the place for name suggestions, but rather, deciding what needs to be named, and how to go about making such names official.

So, while all the name suggestions are nice and fine! Please, ideas on the topic are a must!
Old September 29, 2002, 16:26   #18
GePap
Emperor

Big Bump:

Again, any ideas about how to make names permanent, to avoid name confusion? nyone? How about you boys from the constitutional convention?
Old October 4, 2002, 16:24   #19
Puupertti Ruma
Chieftain

If we get Aro to make a map with all the official geographic names written in it, that would be the easiest and the most efficient way in doing that.

Hell, i could even do it myself saving Aro from the job, for i have waited for a that kind of map since i first heard from DG. Now i just wait for people to name some geographical features.
Old October 4, 2002, 17:48   #20
Donegeal
Emperor

Ok, I think we should get down to naming things now (On Uber Island anyway).

This is what we have to name:
Hill with gold by AGC
the pinicilla (damn spelling) AGC in on
The two hills (either saparate or both)
The great expanse of grassland
The hills to the south
The lake
The bay/lagoon off the eastern coast of the plains

GePap, what do you think of running with these and starting a name sugestion thread?
Old October 4, 2002, 18:48   #21
Aro
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Puupertti Ruma
If we get Aro to make a map with all the official geographic names written in it, that would be the easiest and the most efficient way in doing that.

Hell, i could even do it myself saving Aro from the job, for i have waited for a that kind of map since i first heard from DG. Now i just wait for people to name some geographical features.
...And I've been waiting for these names for a long time... Now, the regions thread and this thread will give me the material.
Btw, Puuperti Ruma, if you want a job, what about this map?
Seriously, we need members in the R.A.G.S., are you interested? PM me, or post!
Old October 4, 2002, 19:03   #22
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Quote:
Originally posted by donegeal
Ok, I think we should get down to naming things now (On Uber Island anyway).

the pinicilla (damn spelling) AGC in on

Why don't we just start naming things here, then?

I know, 'cause I've been living on Uber Island, that
natives there call the nothern peninsula The Calamares
Which is named after the first Apolytonian settler's favourite dish... - Squids!
Old October 5, 2002, 10:03   #23
Puupertti Ruma
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Aro
Btw, Puuperti Ruma, if you want a job, what about this map?
Seriously, we need members in the R.A.G.S., are you interested? PM me, or post!
Yeah, I 'm quite interested in doing the 'geographical' map of Apolyton, and even Abananaba, if the people ever get that far in naming things .

I have Psp 6.0 (haven't had the spirit to upgrade it) and have actually tried once how I would carry it out. If and when I'm gonna do it, I just would like to know how much should I shrink the pic to get a decent overall view on world and still have enough detail.
Old October 5, 2002, 10:32   #24
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
Big Bump:

Again, any ideas about how to make names permanent, to avoid name confusion? nyone?
We need a Register of Official Geographical Names listing all names in alphabetical order for easy reference (mainly for checking that a supposed new name does not already exist), with their coordinates.
The Register would be maintained by a group of people interested in the subject ; the group would decide on the basis of proposals from the people, or would create names.
The Government would delegate to this group the authority to make officials all geographical names of the world, and would forbid the use, by any individual or organization drawing and/or publishing maps, of geographical names not listed on the Register.

Last edited by DAVOUT; October 5, 2002 at 10:46.
Old October 5, 2002, 13:12   #25
GePap
Emperor

DAVOUT:

I agree that some sort of commission, what I think should be called the Apolyton Toponomy Commission (ATC) should be formed to take name suggestions and then find a way, be it by votes just within thie commission, or general polling, to finalize names. No one can be stopped for yusing whatever name they want, but certain names can be made official. Over time these names would gain precedence. I think if we start any new Dem games in the future, such a committee should be formed from the start.

donegeal: Again, i would like for there to be a group equipped to take all name suggestions and then find a way to finalize them, in order to avoid confusion. Most of the names we have now, someone just made, and they stuck. that pretty normal. it may keep happening from now on- at the same time, many, many features go unnamed- and we have at least one more continent to find, so there is huge room for names.

Heck, we coul even assing one geographical feature to each citizen and have them name it (with some minor rules about obsenities and such, themes, so forth), though of course, we would still need a way to assign features, so, still need an ATC even for this most democratic of naming ideas.
Old October 5, 2002, 15:37   #26
Donegeal
Emperor

Yes, I argree with you about the ATC, but its just that this thread has been around for almost two weeks already so I figured that any one who cares has already posted to express their views and it was time to move on (ie:setting up a naming thread for a few days then setting up a poll on the good suggestions)

Lets get going on this.
Old October 5, 2002, 18:12   #27
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Quote:
Originally posted by donegeal

Lets get going on this.
Can't anyone just post an official poll using the names already presented, and make an other-option available.
- So that when people suggest new names in the poll, those will
have to go under the other-option .

Or do we have to call in the dull bureaucrats again?
Old October 5, 2002, 18:16   #28
GePap
Emperor

When I made first this thread, it quickly sank, and now its back. Now, I wsh I had the authority to just do it. Only officials can make polls official, so I doubt how any decision could be made final unless someone picks it up.

Well, in fact, i think I will just start it, and see how things go.