View Poll Results: The Future of Mankind. But is it your present?
I play the game every day. 14 20.00%
I play the game several times a week. 23 32.86%
I play the game sporadically. 23 32.86%
I don't play it at all. 8 11.43%
What's Alpha Centauri? 2 2.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 5, 2002, 10:12   #31
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 10:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
IMHO, shouldn't morale be experience instead?).
Morale is an Concept, which I personally dont buy.
Morale is
Quote:
important? yes Critical? Absolutly!
More Important than Experience? IMO Nope

On Second Thought I remember readíng about Morale in Sun' T.
Old October 5, 2002, 17:42   #32
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 21:39
I've played a lot of SMAC, done a lot of testing and learnt pratically everything there is to know about SMAC... I played it a lot for about a year and a half, played it to death one could say. I havn't been addicted for a *long* time. In fact I can safely say I find SMAC quite boring now.

But I do still play CGN challenge and an odd game as Datajacks/Morgan for oldtimes sake.... (but I rarely play past the first 100 turns, it's too damn tedious). And I do still test stuff
Old October 6, 2002, 16:07   #33
spartak
King

Local Time: 08:39
I still play regularly...
Old October 7, 2002, 08:38   #34
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 05:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President
What is the premise of Tropico? I don't think I've heard of that game.
From the official site:

"As the newly installed dictator of an obscure Caribbean island, build a path of progress for a nation mired in poverty, civil unrest and infighting. Oh, and uhh… stash a few million in your Swiss bank account just in case you need to take early retirement.

Tropico takes the addictive building-oriented gameplay of hits such as SimCity 3000 and Railroad Tycoon 2, combined with a healthy dose of Latin American political intrigue, and bundles it up in an easy-to-learn, hard to master, utterly addictive package.

Tropico is first and foremost a builder. Tropico provides over 85 structures to build, from hotels and spas for tourists to banana groves, sugar plantations and bauxite mines for food and basic exports, to rum distilleries and cigar factories for basic industry. Industry, mining, agriculture, or tourism, you choose to shape the economy to your vision. And don’t let your lust for Yanqui dollars overcome your concern for the plight of your people. (or they’ll overcome your palace guards and teach you a lesson in mob justice) As a precaution against such unpleasantness, may we suggest paying off the radio stations and educating your citizens to the, um, true benevolence of your rule?

Your island’s inhabitants are fleshed out individuals, most of whom support you as their leader (at least initially). They go about their daily business striving for happiness under your enlightened rule. They have homes, jobs and identities, and they like being safe, well-fed, employed and spiritually enriched. Plan your growth well, and you’ll have plenty of money to buy your people’s favor. Plan your growth poorly, and, well, there’s always martial law…"

Believe me, the game is more interesting than this description...
Old October 7, 2002, 10:56   #35
Earwicker
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 03:39
I'm another sporadic player: take six months off, spending time at the forums and doing RL - then something gets under my skin and go back to days on end of SMAX. That's why I am always hesitant to pick up new games, no matter how cool they sound - don't want to get sucked into another vortex . . .
Old October 7, 2002, 18:55   #36
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 18:39
Quote:
Believe me, the game is more interesting than this description...
The description already sounds quite interesting.
Old October 7, 2002, 20:25   #37
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 03:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Pandemoniak
Mongoose, if you play with Gaians, you get the same at ther first turn for a monolith with fungus on it.
Not in my game, I don't. Such a square doesn't even have the circled/shadowed nutrient numeral two that would indicate that I would get four nuts if I had Gene Splicing.

This with unmodded SMAC 4.0 and SMAX 2.0.

Perhaps you care to retract or to provide a screenie as proof of your claim?
Old October 10, 2002, 02:58   #38
awargod
Settler

I don't play it anymore (after getting CivIII), but even though I don't play it, it has features I still like about it. Don't ask why I don't play it because I don't really know (other than lack of time).
Old October 10, 2002, 15:07   #39
Jac de Molay
Prince

I was a latecomer to the game and still play it. I usually set up a game on saturday morning (my officially designated SMAC time) and play here and there during the week.
Dave
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old October 12, 2002, 02:18   #40
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 19:39
Quote:
I don't play it anymore (after getting CivIII), but even though I don't play it, it has features I still like about it. Don't ask why I don't play it because I don't really know (other than lack of time).
I thought you only had it for Mac?
Old October 12, 2002, 16:44   #41
duMa
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 09:39
Should be more than a few times a week, but with PBEM's, y'rely on other people.
Cracked open Rollercoaster Tycoon yesterday... the fate of the amusement-park-goer will never be the same.
Old October 12, 2002, 17:32   #42
Clear Skies
Prince

I rememeber doing some really cool stuff on Tycoon - the panda entertainers used to annoy the hell out of me, so I drowned a hundred at a time. I got bored with the game after a while, so I figured how to run a coaster off the rails and keep it going right the way across the park till it smashed into the fence at the other side.
Ah, happy memories...
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old October 12, 2002, 21:34   #43
Uberslacker
Settler

I know how you feel. It didn't take me very long to turn my Sims guy into a serial killer at all.
Old October 13, 2002, 06:23   #44
Clear Skies
Prince

I keep debating with myself whther or not to get The Sims...maybe if they bring out the whole thing (plus expansions) at a decent price I will.
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old October 13, 2002, 06:26   #45
awargod
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by GeneralTacticus

I thought you only had it for Mac?
Yeah, well good point. But if I really wanted to play it I could...
Old October 14, 2002, 05:40   #46
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 16:39
Tropico? Blah, that is a sucky game.
Old October 14, 2002, 10:07   #47
Jac de Molay
Prince

Quote:
keep debating with myself whther or not to get The Sims...maybe if they bring out the whole thing (plus expansions) at a decent price I will.
Try banging your head against the wall repeatedly for kicks. You might have more fun.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old October 28, 2002, 00:18   #48
ESpark

Like all games, I play games for a little while, and then play something else.

Before getting back into SMAC, I played Descent 3, and before that, the demo for System Shock 2, and before that... I dont remember.

Old October 28, 2002, 05:39   #49
gwillybj
Prince

Local Time: 04:39
Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
In reply to Clear Skies, who said:
Quote:
I keep debating with myself whther or not to get The Sims...maybe if they bring out the whole thing (plus expansions) at a decent price I will.
DetroitDave said:
Quote:
Try banging your head against the wall repeatedly for kicks. You might have more fun.
So, The Sims is not nearly as much fun as ? I agree totally. I would rather play Checkers with Kindergarteners eight hours straight every day for a thousand years than ever again experience the Hell that is The Sims

SMAC
Old October 28, 2002, 20:31   #50
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

I just now came back to it. But I've had a nice hiatus from the game since Civ3 (blarg!) and other games have come out. But I've rebalanced ACx' tech tree and units a bit, and I have some friends who have just got the game too, so its all new all over again!

Though I don't know if Simcity even comes close to being in the same category as AC, but MoO3 is coming, and that may cause another upset in my conquests of Planet.
Old October 30, 2002, 08:52   #51
dworkin
Chieftain

I found the AC disk a few weeks ago and have reverted to playing like a mad thing. In a few months the addiction should of worn off.
Old October 30, 2002, 18:17   #52
ESpark

Quote:
Originally posted by dworkin
I found the AC disk a few weeks ago and have reverted to playing like a mad thing. In a few months the addiction should of worn off.
Same with me. Like all games, I play them for X amount of time, get bored, play another, etc etc. Be

Old October 31, 2002, 15:32   #53
Brundlefly
Prince

I don't play video games anymore. I found a girlfriend.