Old September 28, 2002, 13:48   #1
Thud
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNever Ending StoriesC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4BtSDG Templars
Prince

Local Time: 04:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Thud Calls for an Emergency Session of the Cabinet
My colleagues, I believe that it is clear that our civilization, with the end of our wars, is on the verge of a new period of growth and knowledge that should make our brutish culture flourish. The importance of this Renaissance that the world is undergoing I cannot stress enough. It is clear that we, as ministers, need to act on the forthcoming peace, in order to establish Apolytonia as a new leader in commercial, cultural, and particularly scientific growth.

Recently, threads have pointed out the unusual form that our government takes. Indeed, each Minister is thoroughly dependent on other Ministers’ decisions. The SMC is nothing unless units are built in cities. The same is true of my posting, and of your posting. However, what we have been able to push aside for all of our history is that growth of Scientific output in Apolytonia is of importance to each Part of our Government.

Throughout our history, scientific progress has been entirely dependent on the Foreign Ministry, and our purchasing power. Soon, a radical change must occur. We must research our own technologies, and when appropriate, sell them. This will have far-reaching benefits for every part of our nation. The economy and foreign ministries will no longer be burdened by the heavy price of technology, this will be offset by our profits from selling techs. Our military will no longer be outdated, our cities shall be the most developed and modern. Our overseas trade and exploration will be boosted immeasurably.

Clearly, it is an overall benefit to increase our science output, it is therefore that I propose the following actions, to be known as Plan Erudition.

1. Build libraries in 3 turns (when production is completed):
DelMonte
HereItIs

2. Build libraries, then universities ASAP
Macross City
Tassagrad
Termina

3. After War ends, switch to Republic

4. Research Democracy, by our own labor, and switch to it.

5. Increase Science Spending to 10%
Old September 28, 2002, 13:57   #2
Reddawg
Prince

Local Time: 03:40
Thud, I applaud and support Plan Erudition with the upmost sincerity. I have long felt that Apolytonia would come to a point where it would need to dramatically increase scientific output.

That said, I have two things to add. First, and this goes to the attention of out City Planner Godking as well, I contest the library being built in Macross City until such time as a Courthouse is built there first (see my Economic Reports #1 and #2 for more details in why). I am willing both to rush the Courthouse and the Library in Macross City, as Godking sees fit to actually put them into production.

Secondly... hahaha, somehow I just realized that the science rate had been dropped to zero. Did you authorize that the last turn? B/c I didn't authorize an increase in the tax rate, either. In any case, I will absolutely support increasing it back to 10%!
Old September 28, 2002, 14:06   #3
Thud
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNever Ending StoriesC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4BtSDG Templars
Prince

Local Time: 04:40
I had knowledge that it would be dropped, and I didn't object, if that counts as an authorization.

I beleive that it was supposed to be a temporary measure, and scientists were posted to offset it. I'm not sure, however, how long it's supposed to last.

On Macross City, obviously it won't help to have a library without a courthouse. So, yeah, absolutly include a courthouse with that.
Old September 28, 2002, 14:41   #4
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 00:40
I would support a much higher increase in scientific output. 10% was merely maintanence, and is not going to allow us any independence or progress.

I support the following plan:

Begin construction of new Palance and FP befor end of Persian war
Annex America rapidly
Begin our GA
Construction of courthouses, libararies, cathedrals. and some universities in key cities
Switch to Republic
Increase science rate to X% (a number greater than 10)
Research straight to Democracy
Switch to Democracy

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old September 28, 2002, 14:55   #5
Reddawg
Prince

I'll look into the science rate (i.e., increasing it beyond 10%) as soon as this weekend's turnchat is completed.

I think I'm about to start a thread about this American annexation idea.
Old September 28, 2002, 15:56   #6
Duddha
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Only war will bring us victory.
Old September 28, 2002, 17:29   #7
Donal Graeme
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

We have let our infrastructure fall behind the AI, and I think that after the annexation of America, it will be time to start a massive building phase. This will get us the core of support buildings that will help carry us into the industrial age.
Old September 28, 2002, 18:16   #8
zeit
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 09:40
i must agree with Thud and his supporters, after the annexation of america there won't be any immediate benefit from further conquest, as these wars will take longer, as we will be fighting stronger forces, and will make us send our troops further and further into enemy territory with little or no infastructure to make such a shipment efficent, especially with disadvantageous terrain features (mountains), so even if our goal is conquest, we should hold for a while, improve the foundations of a powerful war machine, with better industry and more mobile units, and we need a better technology for this. and besides, a better tech will serve us greatly in the long run, when the technological differences would have a greater effect on the outcome of the wars (gunpowder-cavalry-railways), so i vote for a greater investment in science and industry, to ensure the future of apolytonia!
Old September 28, 2002, 22:29   #9
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I am in wholehearted agreement with Thud on this issue. I agree with the general idea behind Togas' layout of priorities, but in a different order:

1. Begin construction of new Palance and FP befor end of Persian war
2. Switch to Republic
3. Begin construction of courthouses, libraries, cathedrals, and some universities in key cities
4. Annex America rapidly (which means republic won't really matter)
5. Begin our GA
6. Increase science rate to X% (a number greater than 10)
7. Research straight to Democracy
8. Switch to Democracy

RATIONALE: We lose a significant portion of our GA's potential if we are still in monarchy and have not yet begun construction of the appropriate buildings (courthouses and libraries, especially) by its start. As such, it would seem to make more sense to ENTER the war with Americans already under a republic and already having begun construction of the appropriate buildings (even better if some of them, especially the courthouses, are already done). This would not be especially difficult to do, as republic war weariness takes time (even when you are the aggressor) to sink in and the plans being developed for the American war are directed toward a very quick annexation campaign (though such plans are *notorious* throughout history for backfiring...).

So, yes, I *fully* agree with Thud and others, with the proviso above.
Old September 29, 2002, 00:21   #10
ManicStarSeed
C4DG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityBtS Tri-League
Prince

All good ideas, all long overdue.

We also need to fill in our territory lets also build settlers, the more cities we have, the more science and income generated, with or without other improvements.

Mss