Old September 30, 2002, 13:24   #1
roadcage
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 02:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Speaking of the lost Civs....
I wonder what the lost civs are doing. No, I don't play ahead, but I do dream of things that might be so.

[Roleplay]

Tojo looked out over the Shinto shrine just east of the Royal Palace. Thru the mists of morning he thought for a moment that he saw something far off at sea. But no, another mirage.

Reflecting on the known world situation in 430 ad, Tojo was sure that there was atleast one possibly more large land masses unaccounted for. Heck, the rules say there are 16 Civs in the game, and we can only account for ourselves plus China, Zululand, and India.

But which way to look first? And the most recent cartography showed deep water all around the known world.

Sad, thought Tojo, it will be some time before we will be able to venture out. I hope the other Civs are also isolated, for otherwise they will have such a tech trading advantage over us that there will be no hope of finding them first.

[/Roleplay]
Old September 30, 2002, 15:45   #2
Reddawg
Prince

Local Time: 03:44
If you look at the stat report, you will learn the disturbing fact that one of these nations Tojo speaks of has a larger population than Apolyton and it stands to reason that two more of them are decent sized!
Old September 30, 2002, 17:46   #3
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Unless there's a war going on among the lost civs and the largest empire is doing to another what we are to the Persians.
Old September 30, 2002, 17:51   #4
Donal Graeme
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 00:44
Its actually rather funny, because the Oriental or Asian nations will likely be in a position similar to what they were for a long time, fairly well developed, with a decent economy and population, but behind technologically, leaving their industrial base and infrastructure behind the rest of us. I figure that they are at the late ancient period now, or possibly just entering the midieval period. I doubt they will be very far technologically before we get to the industrial period, unless we meet them before then.
Old September 30, 2002, 17:55   #5
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 05:44
They probably are in a big continent, with space to expand. This doesn’t means that they are more advanced than the civs on Abananaba, but we need to find them. I'm strongly for buy astronomy as soon as we can, and explore the sea. With luck, we can find this damn continent before navigation...

Edit: I only saw your post after I've posted mine, Donal. I agree with your analysis
Old September 30, 2002, 18:28   #6
Reddawg
Prince

Yeah, I am becoming more and more anxious to discover the lost civs, especially since I know they are or at least have potential to be either great allies or dangerous enemies... plus, it'll reshape the statistics! lol
Old September 30, 2002, 18:55   #7
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

We must garner support throughout the kingdom to build a glorious NAVY to sail the oceans and discover new lands, new civs and new opportunities!

question : Since obviously a navy must be made eventually, who would navigate the ships? Would that fall to the SMC or to the Ministry of Imperial Expansion? Or would a new position need to be made?
Old September 30, 2002, 18:59   #8
GePap
Emperor

Being the fist to get our hands on that world map would be a huge coup: we could erase our tech lag in one single turn! We must push to be th first: now that Persian lands are ours, we have a good chance of being the firsts to get there. If we are still in 1.21, then the asians civs will ery quickly catch up, since they will have luxuries to sell come navigation, probalby plenty of money, and the AI trades tech like crazy in 1.21. If we go to 1.29, then this wil change.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old September 30, 2002, 19:35   #9
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Meshelic
We must garner support throughout the kingdom to build a glorious NAVY to sail the oceans and discover new lands, new civs and new opportunities!
They will be the voyages of an enterprising fleet! Their mission: to explore strange new lands! To seek out new life and new civilizations! To boldly go where no man has gone before!

Old September 30, 2002, 20:07   #10
zeit
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 09:44
Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos

They will be the voyages of an enterprising fleet! Their mission: to explore strange new lands! To seek out new life and new civilizations! To boldly go where no man has gone before!

And to teach those who are un-educated in the ways of THE GREAT BANANA!

-or that this falls under the 1st directive?
Old September 30, 2002, 20:20   #11
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
Being the fist to get our hands on that world map would be a huge coup: we could erase our tech lag in one single turn! We must push to be th first: now that Persian lands are ours, we have a good chance of being the firsts to get there. If we are still in 1.21, then the asians civs will ery quickly catch up, since they will have luxuries to sell come navigation, probalby plenty of money, and the AI trades tech like crazy in 1.21. If we go to 1.29, then this wil change.
not if they are far advanced.... then we won't have much to offer and they won't be interested in helping us oiut by trading. There could be a possibility that during early wars one nation dominated supreme and the large empire never had to worry about wartime efforts and has been cranking up culture and domestic like wildfire.

or if they are stuck in ancient age and throwing pebbles at each other and razing each others city. then we won't want to do much with them other than trade gold or colonize their land.
Old September 30, 2002, 20:27   #12
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Tojo's story made me laugh, cry, and rediscover myself all over again.
--------

We probably should start thinking about exploring other lands. Usually doing this is expensive and time consuming , actually it is always expensive and time consuming but in the end if we make some smooth diplo moves we will make a profit.

Sell your photos
Old September 30, 2002, 20:50   #13
zeit
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
King

All this exploration thing can yield good results in the future but, as said, it is expensive and time consuming, and right now we have other things on the agenda (Republic, future development of the idustry, modernization of the army) Maybe we could invest in a small (2-3 ships) exploration fleet when we have the tech to traverse ocean and have explores.
Old September 30, 2002, 21:16   #14
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

[Roleplay]

MEANWHILE...in the city of Beijing...

Mao Zedong, Emperor of China, and super genius, decides to whittle away the time by drawing with his crayons his ideas about what other lands their might be, as he calmly sips his green tea from the little bowl in his free hand. Nodding to his friend, the Buddhist monk Bodhidharma (who not only cut off his eyelids once, but taught the Shaolin monks kung fu), Mao begins to draw the other lands.

"Here, Bodhidharma, is an imaginary place which I shall call the Land of the Southern Geese Who Feast on the Peaches of Immortality."

"It looks...celestial. I would imagine that the land is not simply inhabited by those immortal geese, however."

"Yes, yes, yes...let us say there are these...Persians there. Yes, those Persians. You will recall that the diviner (whom I had executed for some dangerous thoughts the other day) Chuang Su had come to me, saying that he'd had a dream in which he saw a people with that name, choking to death on what he took for an oversized banana. I wondered what his dreams meant, and the other day I received a message from the Japanese Prince Tojo, just blabbering on about how he'd been wondering what other civilizations were out there, so I decided to create my own thoughts about it all, and publish it in my little red book, here..."

"Ohhh...really...nice...Mao. Is this the Persian Emperor?"

"Yes, Bodhidharma...his name is, so the diviner said, Xerxes. Here he is, coming out of his harem...the banana has obviously not become lodged in his throat yet, however..."

"Yes, I see his smiley face..."

"But," says Mao, whipping out his long, ancient blade, known as Green Blade of Truth (which was supposedly once owned by some Taoist god, somewhere), "You know, if I ever do find other civilizations...I'll just have to CONQUER them all to add to my Celestial Empire which stretches from horizon to horizon..." Mao swings his sword around in the air, accidentally slicing one of his guardsmen. "Whoops, sorry about that arm, Huang..."

"Well, sir, if you think it prudent. However, other civilizations have, if you will forgive me, actually defeated you in battle...and you've never conquered anyone..."

"Oh, shut up, Bodhidharma...you are just making me angry. Wouldn't want to have to bump you off, chap. Shape up, OK? I assure you...if anyone wants to mess with old Mao, here, I'll fall upon them like...a wall of bricks upon a surprised duck!" Mao swings the sword, and returns it to it's scabbard...or at least, he tries to...

"What is the matter, Emperor?"

"Bodhidharma...call a doctor...and a couple of young, thin nurses...I kinda hurt myself there..."

Yep. Just another day at the palace of Beijing.

[Roleplay]
Old September 30, 2002, 21:40   #15
Reddawg
Prince

[roleplay]

Elsewhere, in the Royal Taj Mahal, Imperial Palace of India since the dawn of Civilization...

"The tension whispers to me through the wind in the trees. Ominous waves crash against our shores. The time is soon at hand, and Nature recognizes it."

Mahatma is wise in the ways of the world. His neighbors, the Chinese, the Japanese, and the Zulus, were growing increasingly restless. Rumors spread increasingly far and increasingly fast, of other civilizations, far across the seas. Some rumors spoke of fear: clashes of mighty titans, a Golden giant spreading it's influence across the land. A Green horde, resting comfortably in it's plentiful lands. And a Red dragon, smoldering, waiting for it's chance to strike.

Mahatma was not concerned; when India was ready for the rest of the world, he was confident it would maintain it's sovereignty. No matter what these Western powers did amongst themselves; the Hindu gods would protect their devotees as they saw fit. Gandhi was ready to welcome these strange foreigners with open arms... in return for a few bananas.

[/roleplay]
Old September 30, 2002, 21:44   #16
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by History Guy
Chuang Su had come to me, saying that he'd had a dream in which he saw a people with that name, choking to death on what he took for an oversized banana. I wondered what his dreams meant,

Here is Xerxes, coming out of his harem...the banana has obviously not become lodged in his throat yet, however..."
Very good.
Old October 1, 2002, 04:07   #17
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

On the diplomatic scale alone building a navy would be worth it
Old October 1, 2002, 14:36   #18
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

[Roleplay]

MEANWHILE!!...in the Great Palace of Zimbabwe, Shaka Zulu, a big gorilla of a man (as well as a very wise leader) stands around in his psychotic little way, proclaiming that all the world is his, while his followers contemplate the best ways of offing him.

"Mooky!" shouts Shaka to his General-in-Chief, "Nooky samba toiky schnit noob! Gummy katastrene! Chimichaunga!"

Roughly translated into Polynesian, you'd understand these words even less (unless you are Polynesian), but in modern Apolytonian, he said, "Mooky, go draw me my bath! I am emperor of the world! Hahahahaha!"

Despite being totally insane (he had been since his mommy passed away), Shaka did like a good bath. Unfortunately for him, the bath tub had not yet been invented, as poor Mooky informed him.

"Mooky," said Shaka, "I thought you were a deaf mute!"

"Then, sir, why did you ask me to draw your bath?"

"Ummm...never mind." This is further proof of the obvious insanity of Shaka, due in part to the loss of mummy.

"Sir, I regret that no one on this entire continent has the ability to build a bathtub...not even the Chinese!!"

"Well...ummm...what must I do to get a bathtub?"

"Our seers suggest that over the ocean lies a giant...a giant..."

"What? A giant what?" cried Shaka, shaking his long impi spear (and the poor little barbarian impaled upon it).

"A GIANT BANANA!! Hahahahahahahahaha!"

"Control yourself, Mooky! You are breaking into paroxsyms of laughter!!"

"I'm sorry, sir...but it just strikes me as funny that the seers are telling me that the only people who can build bathtubs seem to live...in a giant banana..."

"Stranger things have happened, Mooky...like my brother Dingane...now, he acts like a little..."

"Yes, I know, sir. But apparently this banana is far overseas, and any boat we now send to find it will be crushed by waves..."

"Damn. I'll have to hold off on that bath for a while then...one day, though...I WILL TAKE A BATH!!! Ahahahahahhahahahaha!"

And so, for the first time in the history of the Zulu people, the great chief Shaka learned of the existence of Apolytonia.

[Roleplay]
Old October 2, 2002, 07:13   #19
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Let's have some ships ready to sail to the probable spot of the Lost Civs ..!
Old October 2, 2002, 21:53   #20
pikesfan
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

An audience at Tokugawa's palace
Meanwhile, back in Japan:

The Lord Chamberlain bangs a gong and shouts: "Yomiiri Chairman Kaga!" and the famous gourmand Chairman Kaga, a man who has spent his entire fortune experiencing new cuisine rises through the floor on a platform, followed by the Voice of Chairman Kaga.

Chairman Kaga speaks, and the Voice translates into Japanese: Four years ago I spent my entire fortune on Kitchen Palace, where chefs from all over the world could come I could experience new cuisines. But there are only four cuisines in the world! And I am so sick of Zulu Fusion Cuisine! Every young chef thinks that mixing up Zulu cuisine with anything makes it exotic, but no, it makes it taste terrible. You must find new cuisines!
Old October 2, 2002, 21:56   #21
pikesfan
Prince

Meanwhile, back in India:

Gandhi stands on his head and murmurs: The mystic numbers of the universe say that there must be 16 civs of varying sizes, some of which are big and yellow, and some of which are small and blue, and some of which grow and some of which shrink. And then there are 8 further civs, two of whom wear turbans, that exist only in the mind of Vishnu the Creator...

One palace flunky whispers to another: The vegetarian curry went off last night.
Old October 2, 2002, 22:23   #22
History Guy
King

Yomiiri Chairman Kaga bites a yellow bell pepper, and declares that the Squirrel Battle between Yoshison and Yokimora is about to begin ("Ah, squirrels, if my memory serves me, an aged sage from Kyushu once instructed me that in order to preserve the simplistic delicacy of the squirrel, you must...")...but deep in his heart, he yearns for another man to enter Kitchen Stadium, to take down the Iron Chef, and to gain the adulation of everyone everywhere!!

Iron Chef Chinese looks a little uneasy as he reads Chairman Kaga's mind, as Bodhidharma told him to do...if foreigners come to Kitchen Stadium, he might well be deposed as Iron Chef!! Secretly, he prays that they may never, ever discover Navigation...

Then Emeril Lagasse comes on...
Old October 2, 2002, 22:36   #23
pikesfan
Prince

Meanwhile, in the basement of Kitchen Castle (where the platform that brings the food comes from), the Youngest Pulley-Serf has a sudden idea. "Wouldn't it be interesting if people from beyond the seas appeared and gave us a long yellow fruit to put on this platform?" The Eldest Pulley-Serf whacks him with a Chinese cabbage. "You dolt! You fool! You less-than-nothing! Have you been in Chairman Kaga’s private sake stores again? There is no such thing as a long yellow fruit! There are no people beyond the seas!" Senior pulley-guy then looks at the cabbage. "Maybe we can have Squashed Chinese Cabbage à la Dingane Battle tonight."
Old October 2, 2002, 22:44   #24
pikesfan
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by History Guy
Iron Chef Chinese looks a little uneasy as he reads Chairman Kaga's mind, as Bodhidharma told him to do...if foreigners come to Kitchen Stadium, he might well be deposed as Iron Chef!!
That night the Squirrel Battle gives Chairman Kaga’s Fortune Teller a Dream Vision. She sees Iron Chef Zulu being deposed by a mysterious Iron Chef Fu-ran-tsu, and Iron Chef Indian by a mysterious Iron Chef A-po-li-to-nu. "Must be the squirrel," she thinks. "I always found squirrel too salty."
Old October 3, 2002, 00:54   #25
XOR
Warlord

Local Time: 08:44
Do we know which ones are the lost Civs? I mean, via the "Great Books" popups wonder reports and the like?
Old October 3, 2002, 04:01   #26
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

XOR's question brings up a good point...

Exactly what were the options chosen when the proto-world "President" began our tribe at the forming of our world?

(serious, what options were chosen for world characteristics and such?)