View Poll Results: Where to hold the next turnchat?
IRC 10 35.71%
Apolyton's Chat 14 50.00%
Don't care 4 14.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 1, 2002, 08:33   #31
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 02:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Yes, what is people's problem with the new 'Poly chat?

And we are once again graced with gOd's presence and words! Truly a remarkable day!

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old October 1, 2002, 08:59   #32
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 08:45
There are issues with the poly chat. Thats why the SMACdemo gamers don't use it. I think we should have a look at it and try one turn there to see how it works out.

The issues I see with the chat are that you can't pm (at least I don't think you can w/o doing the forum PM thing). Also there is the thing about the chat not being updated as much when you are idle for a while. If Togas is idle as he is at work and the pres or vp says "turn ends in 20secs any last orders" then togas won't see it in time and won't be able to say "hold it, give all our money and luxuries to the Germans" in time.
Old October 1, 2002, 09:09   #33
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 10:45
Quote:
you can't pm
you can, by typing /pmUsername

but since a turnchat is a public event why would you need to privately message someone?

Quote:
Also there is the thing about the chat not being updated as much when you are idle for a while.
you become idle (and your messages are refreshed once a minute) when you havent posted anything in the last 50 messages. if that's that big a problem i can add an excemption for the civ3 room
Old October 1, 2002, 09:27   #34
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 08:45
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
but since a turnchat is a public event why would you need to privately message someone?

You'd be surprised

you become idle (and your messages are refreshed once a minute) when you havent posted anything in the last 50 messages. if that's that big a problem i can add an excemption for the civ3 room
can you make certain people idle no matter how many times they post? JK

Anyway as the poll is going the way of the poly chat it looks like we'll be giving it a go. I don't really mind as I'm not taking the chat, apoc is.

Aggies idea is a good conversaiton usually spills over into another room anyway. If I was doing it I'd have orders in the poly room and discussions in the irc that way any newbies that dropped by wouldn't just get lost in the discussions.
Old October 1, 2002, 09:35   #35
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

btw, by tomorrow i'll have the moderated mode fully working(it's actually working now, except from the /unvoice command and giving the ability to give the related commands to moderators)

oh and if this is the case(moderated chat), an operator must be set
Old October 1, 2002, 12:33   #36
sprudl
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Warlord

The Kreynet IRC network has a nice web interface (based on CGI::IRC for those interested).

It might be an option if we need the stability of IRC and an easy interface for those unfamiliar with it.
Old October 1, 2002, 12:41   #37
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 02:45
I normally have several windows open here at the same time, you can PM, chat, browse the forum all at the same time.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old October 1, 2002, 13:01   #38
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 05:45
Same to me. Mr.WIA, could you explain your problem to MarkG? Maybe he can fix this in time.
Old October 1, 2002, 20:44   #39
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 20:45
Well, I have explained my problem once in the Community forum, got some questions from Mark, replied. Then someone else posted and my problem may have been ignored.....

I will post on it later, but for now I can say that more often than not, the Poly chat will load so I can sometimes see the discussion, but several parts to the screen, including the one that specified the differetn chatrooms and the window where you type your messages ( ) appear as error messages. It is most frustrating. On the rare occasions I can both see and contribute to discussions, I tend to be able to stay for a round 10 mins before my replies are no longer shown in the discussion - I have no idea whether others can see them or not.

I haven't tried it for a few days, and it is possible these things are all fixed now, but if not I want to say I have had NO problems whatsoever with DALnet for my entire time as President last term and the few times on Undernet have gone smoothly as well.

And whoops - I miss an entire poll once again.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!