Old October 1, 2002, 08:23   #1
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 02:46
Local Date: November 1, 2010
UN Nominations:
This is not covered in the CoL, so here we go.

Length of term: Till we get an amendment through or the Con Con gets us a decent CoL to state the term.

Job: Represent Apolytonia on the 1BC board UN, share information, and begin the workings of a multi site PTW game.

Ok. If you want to do this, reply.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old October 1, 2002, 08:29   #2
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 04:46
I like the idea, but would not be able to help out in it.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old October 1, 2002, 08:45   #3
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

I nominate and second UnOrthOdOx. Actually, the President has appointed him so I dont see why we are having nominations or an election in the first place and no nation in civ or reality ever elects ambassadors.
Old October 1, 2002, 08:46   #4
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 08:46
Nominate UnOrthOdOx
Old October 1, 2002, 09:05   #5
jdjdjd
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 03:46
I agree....Un to the UN.
Old October 1, 2002, 09:28   #6
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Guys, I am flattered, but I would prefer not to.

This is a big job, and one that I believe is of great importance. If I take this, I will take it with all the seriousness you saw me have as VP. As such I will be unable to participate in any official capacity over here. So, ask yourselves: Is there someone else? Would you prefer I go to represent us, or to possibly run for something in the future here? I will not have time for both. (well I might go for a judge, too, if one steps down...)

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old October 1, 2002, 09:40   #7
zeit
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 09:46
I think UnO is one of the most qualified members for this job. UnO- you know just about everything that goes on in Apolytonia and you also represent a fairly balanced approach between peaceful builder strat and warmongering, and you definetly proven yourself as someone who can express your opinions elecuantly.
So, i support OPD's nomination, and call UnOrthOdOx to take the job and make us all proud!
Old October 1, 2002, 09:41   #8
ruby_maser
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Re: UN Nominations:
Quote:
Job: Represent Apolytonia on the 1BC board UN, share information, and begin the workings of a multi site PTW game.
As a newbie, I don't have enough experience to volunteer for anything (I don't know what the hell is going on yet ) but offhand I am curious as to what kind of work you think needs to be done to coordinate the multisite PTW?
Old October 1, 2002, 09:42   #9
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Outside of UnOrthOdOx, maybe Duddha?

Yes, we could send Duddha to be our civilization's representative to all the UN embassies.
Old October 1, 2002, 10:30   #10
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Re: Re: UN Nominations:
Quote:
Originally posted by ruby_maser

As a newbie, I don't have enough experience to volunteer for anything (I don't know what the hell is going on yet ) but offhand I am curious as to what kind of work you think needs to be done to coordinate the multisite PTW?
I am pretty unfamiliar with how multiplayer PTW will work out. Does it require all parties on at the same time, for instance. If so, timing chats would be first.

Next: The biggest thing would be security. What is to stop someone from bouncing from site to site giving information? We would need to set up a system or organization to ensure no one Demo game acts on information from a different demo game.

Third: We would have to agree to a basic set of laws: how to transfer the saves around, who plays what turn when, the speed of turns (ie, how many/week) and such.

Fourth: As the game progresses and we become officially aware of each other, things could turn into serious MPP's, RoP, diplomatic agreements (ie no nukes or we all kill whoever used 'em) This may or may not be a feature of the UN, and could be simply handled in the FAM department.

Whomever represents us should be polling the populace here on these topics and then bringing our decisions to the UN. From there he would have to come back with proposals, decisions, and views from the other sites. If all goes well, we could be ready shortly after the release.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old October 1, 2002, 11:03   #11
Thud
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNever Ending StoriesC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4BtSDG Templars
Prince

Local Time: 04:46
I want to do this. Heck, maybe I can even reverse the general opinion that Apolytonia is full of war-hungry beasts.
Old October 1, 2002, 11:15   #12
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Re: Re: Re: UN Nominations:
Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
Next: The biggest thing would be security. What is to stop someone from bouncing from site to site giving information? We would need to set up a system or organization to ensure no one Demo game acts on information from a different demo game.
Originally I thought the same thing, but after pondering the idea I decided it isn't worth the time.

There is no way you can prevent information leaks. All someone has to do is join the demo games as a different name at each site and you wouldn't be able to stop them.

In real life, most information is available to the enemy anyway. Let's just leave it alone and play with the knowledge that foriegn nationals are all around us and can eavesdrop on our conversations. Our current system elects a President and ministers who actually play the game, we are not a TRUE democracy, but that's how most democracies worked. Sparta had two kings and a council of 5 that made most decisions anyway and it was a very successful system.

Our president and smc can pm each other about strategy and plans and bring in advisors they learn to respect from strategy postings on the forum.

This is supposed to be fun, not work afterall.
Old October 1, 2002, 11:20   #13
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

I didn't say to stop them from HAVING the information, but I believe it would not be difficult to have some kind of investigation system if some questionable actions were taken.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old October 1, 2002, 11:43   #14
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
I didn't say to stop them from HAVING the information, but I believe it would not be difficult to have some kind of investigation system if some questionable actions were taken.
Why, what difference does it make. We have the other sites (currently 3 others) that we can spy on and we have to treat them and any conflict with them cautiously.

And then we have the AI civs that we don't have to be as caustious with. I think wars with other sites will be the most fun of all as citizens will invade enemy sites and talk "smack" at them. I can see foreign nationals getting banned for all the smack in times of war.

It's like the DIA and Hawks having different objectives here, only now they can actually fight each other.

I'd be all about assisting the Ambassador, and might be willing to be the ambassador but when PTW comes out I want to be a citizen of each civ.
Old October 1, 2002, 11:46   #15
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 00:46
UN Representative
While this game won't ever switch formats and become a PTW game, I'd really enjoy doing a future dem game with several other nations of humans involved.

In such a game the job of communicating with the other nations would fall on the Foreign Ministry. We'd end up appointing an ambassador, adding yet another staff member to the ever growing Ministry office.

Ah, I love creating bureaucracy!

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old October 1, 2002, 12:13   #16
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Re: UN Representative
Quote:
Originally posted by Togas
While this game won't ever switch formats and become a PTW game, I'd really enjoy doing a future dem game with several other nations of humans involved.

In such a game the job of communicating with the other nations would fall on the Foreign Ministry. We'd end up appointing an ambassador, adding yet another staff member to the ever growing Ministry office.

Ah, I love creating bureaucracy!

--Togas
Oh, I figured that was given, there will probably ne a PTW Democracy game forum added. Then each site would start by the end of this month.

In fact I can see several variations on PTW Democracy games.
Old October 1, 2002, 13:09   #17
GePap
Emperor

I have to agree with UnOrthO that information security is a must: after all, what the point of World Map trading if anyone in any site can download each other's saves and know what the other's map looks like. T a certain extent espionage in the game would become meaningless since everyone would be able to do this cost free, if all information bounds about.

Also, think of all those times we created eleborate war plans: ell, if anyone can just simply get plans of each other's boards, then we can't really make them- or at least, only a small group within each site coul, and they wpould have to keep it secret from everyone else due to fear of leaking: that is not very conducive to democracy, now is it?

Most certainly, a well defined set of rules about what posters cvan and can't say must be created. At a minimum, officals in each site should be barred from visiting the other sides boards while in office. Secondly, anyone who were to post information deemed clasified in another sites boar would have to be banished_ its almost impossbile to make rules that others can't visit other sites boards, (though it should be highly discouraged) but we can easily punihs anyone who writes in a board about someone else plans. it also makes the whole embassy thing much harder. It may even call for the creation of sub-forum, though that might be a hastle.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old October 1, 2002, 13:37   #18
nalob
Chieftain

Information about UN
Just to keep you up-to-date with the current UN status, we now have 5 interested sites: Apolyton, CFC, 1BC, civilization webring forum(a German site) and possibly an EZboard site. Besides our 1BC diplomat Scorpius no official delegates have been announced. CFC is also debating who to send to the UN right now and the German site just established an Embassy at 1BC today. Of course we have to wait for the release of PTW and get familiar with the game but we can already discuss matters like organization and communication. We have an UN open forum board where every one can discuss a possible intersite Democracy Game. You don't have to be a 1BC member to post here.

Bolan
Old October 1, 2002, 13:43   #19
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Re: Information about UN
Quote:
Originally posted by nalob
Just to keep you up-to-date with the current UN status, we now have 5 interested sites: Apolyton, CFC, 1BC, civilization webring forum(a German site) and possibly an EZboard site. Besides our 1BC diplomat Scorpius no official delegates have been announced. CFC is also debating who to send to the UN right now and the German site just established an Embassy at 1BC today.
We have embassies with all but EZboard who some of our most influential citizens despise and boycott. I'm not sure if that will be an issue on our pulling out of the UN or not but it is a potential conflict.
Old October 1, 2002, 13:52   #20
nalob
Chieftain

I don't think it's good to deny sites entry to the UN. Although the EZboard is a small community and their pop-ups are very irritating it would be 'undemocratic' to decide not to include these people just because some of your people don't like the site. I have been at the EZboard a couple of times and although I'm not a big fan of the site the people seem friendly and they are working to get rid of the adds.

Bolan
Old October 1, 2002, 14:29   #21
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

I simply said I will not be establishing an embassy on THEIR forum. I will speak to them on your board, just don't plan on me visiting that Demogame.

And I can't get through the registration on the German site. Someone else please go over there?

(AOL turned the confirmation into garbled mess. I can read German decent enough but nonsense symbols are beyond me)

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Last edited by UnOrthOdOx; October 1, 2002 at 14:34.
Old October 1, 2002, 14:35   #22
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Hmmm, maybe that could be a civ-specific objective for us, the extermination of the EZ board civ.
Old October 1, 2002, 14:37   #23
maniacalmonkey
Settler

Just out of curiosity - what is the problem of Apoytonians towards the EZBoard forums?
Old October 1, 2002, 14:39   #24
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

It is ME with a PERSONAL problem. I am boycotting their site due to a history between myself and EZBoard.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old October 1, 2002, 14:43   #25
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
I simply said I And I can't get through the registration on the German site. Someone else please go over there?

(AOL turned the confirmation into garbled mess. I can read German decent enough but nonsense symbols are beyond me)
I registered but it still hasn't sent me an email to confirm so I can't post.
Old October 1, 2002, 14:44   #26
nalob
Chieftain

I don't think any one here is saying you have to go there as an ambassador (please correct me if I'm wrong here). What I'm saying is we shouldn't deny any DG site access to the UN.
Old October 1, 2002, 14:47   #27
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

NO you shouldn't. And I won't go over there. Any contact with them will be in the form of the UN, or if they post an embassy here, at least for me personally. Anyone else is welcome to go and make one for us on their site.

Only 5 sites in the UN? I thought we had 6....Im going to check my list when I get home. I know I have six different URL's for demo games....Perhaps I have one you have not discovered?

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old October 1, 2002, 14:53   #28
maniacalmonkey
Settler

Ah, OK. But please - no fist fights in the Council or catering areas, take it out to the parking lot if you must
Old October 1, 2002, 14:56   #29
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

I may not be our ambassador, so you may not even need worry.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old October 1, 2002, 14:58   #30
nalob
Chieftain

UnOrThOdOx, if you find the sixth DG site can you let me know? We only have contact with four other DG sites so I guess we haven't discovered one yet. Thanks.