Old October 1, 2002, 12:12   #1
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 02:47
Local Date: November 1, 2010
City Council: Libraries vs Markets
I started this in large part due to the discussion I have seen.

First we must address what cities produce the most Commerce:

As posted by GhengisFarb:

1) Ghengistown - 18 tiles are river tiles (shares 2 with Timeline)

2) Macross City - 17 tiles are river tiles (shares 4 with Rheims)

3) Timeline - 16 tiles are river tiles (shares 2 with Ghengistown)

4) City on a Hill - 16 tiles are river tiles, many hill and mountain tiles

5) Rheims - 16 tiles are river tiles (shares 4 with Macross City)

6) Gaia - 11 tiles are river tiles, several dyes

7) Del Monte - 11 tiles are river tiles

Next is the issue of Libraries vs Markets in these cities:
As posted by Shiber:

City A produces 20 commerce. The slider is at 10% science, 90% economy. 2 commerce are directed to science and produce 2 beakers. Income from the city is 18 gold.
After building a library, City A still produces 20 commerce but the 2 commerce that are directed to science produce 3 beakers.
If we build a marketplace instead, City A will give us an income of 27 gold and a science output of 2. If we change the sliders to 40% science, 60% economy our income from City A will return to 18 gold but the science output will jump to 8 beakers (since 8 commerce will be directed to science).

Again, this is just an example. Furthermore, I'm not saying we'll be able to move the science slider to 40% after we build marketplaces since we're only going to build marketplaces in the cities that produce the most commerce, and they'll have an effect only on income from those cities, not from our entire empire.

The only thing that markets lack over Libraries is the production of Culture. Libraries also do not make people any happier. So, Which of these cities will benefit most from a Library or Market. In some, a Library can give us enough Culture to gain more tiles, therefore more commerce, while in others Markets should come first as they will provide the most benefits.

Your thoughts?

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Last edited by UnOrthOdOx; October 1, 2002 at 12:24.
Old October 1, 2002, 12:19   #2
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

I think Ghengistown should build a library first, while the others build marketplaces first (Ghengistown doesn't have a huge population yet due to the massive jungle).

Then Ghengistown builds marketplace and university. The others build libraries then universities. As we start completing the universities we shoudl start edging the slider to a higher concentration on science and make the bulk of out gold from selling science.

In my games I have science maxed out on the minumum # of turns to completion, usually 4 turns at 40 to 60% science rate. I always get the techs first and keep the AI civs broke by selling my tech to all of them.
Old October 1, 2002, 12:21   #3
roadcage
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

I usually start out with Libraries, but only because I have (the requisite techs) sooner. Once I can build either, marketplaces rule.
Old October 1, 2002, 12:22   #4
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 10:47
Markets do generate happiness. The 3rd and 4th luxury generate an additional happy face each, and the 5th luxury will generate two additional happy faces.
I reckon culture is very important. However, due to the religious nature of our civilization and due to the fact that we have built The Sistine Chapel, I estimate that we'll be building several cathedrals in the near future that will produce plenty of culture.

GhengisFarb: that's a very good point. I agree that techs will become a major source of income in the future. However, to research techs we need beakers and as I've shown above, when properly used, marketplaces can indirectly produce more beakers than libraries.
I propose this build queue for cities with a large commerce output: marketplace, library, bank, university.
- Phantom of the Opera

Last edited by Shiber; October 1, 2002 at 12:28.
Old October 1, 2002, 12:48   #5
GePap
Emperor

The key to more techs is having a wealthier society that can afford more tech spending: simply put: we can never have too many lytons. Marketplaces and Banks are a must.

I think that maretplaces should come first, where we can, unless the culture output of the city matters (so it doesn't flip, or so that we gain more ground).
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old October 1, 2002, 12:53   #6
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Shiber
I propose this build queue for cities with a large commerce output: marketplace, library, bank, university.
I'd build Universities before banks.
Old October 1, 2002, 19:04   #7
ManicStarSeed
C4DG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityBtS Tri-League
Prince

Local Time: 00:47
Each town is different. Build as needed. Since temples are not needed to grow beyond 3 or 4 due to our luxuries, Let us build Libraries, Markets and Temples before worriying about the next step.

We are still pretty much in the first teir of improvements. We should build Banks Universities and Cathedrals in whatever order makes sense when we get to them.
Old October 1, 2002, 19:12   #8
Robber Baron
Prince

Local Time: 03:47
Quote:
Originally posted by Shiber
Agreed -- with one important caveat: CATHEDRALS (which are turbo-powered, because we have Sistine's, of course) (and cheap, because we're religious).
Was this already implied? If not, it should be a priority.
Old October 1, 2002, 20:28   #9
zeit
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 09:47
As said by Uno, we can gain a lot more lytons and thus research points if we built marketplace instead of libraries, where culture is not a major issue. Also marketplace will be even better when coupled by the Republic- even greater increase in taxes due to the bonuses and less corruption, and it will make the citizens happier with the luxuries they already have, so we also solve the lack of military police problem.
My vote is for Marketplaces before Libraries.
Old October 1, 2002, 22:17   #10
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

yes, usually I'd prioritize library due to additonal culture bonus, but it really doesn't make much sense to boost % of our almost non-existing science output right now. All improvements should therefore begin with marketplace first, unless culture is needed... but as Robber Baron points out, we can always get culture from religious buildings since our trait allows faster religious builds and the sistine really rewards our cities for having cathedrals.
Old October 1, 2002, 22:35   #11
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 04:47
With all the corruption, even markets do nothing. I plan on building more courthouses than markets. The libraries I have started are more for a combo of future science and culture than anything else, particularly as I would like to have at least 5 before we hit the golden age. We already have sistines, so all we need is WC victory or an industrial wonder and we are there. Many of the libraries I started last turn I switch over to cathedrals because of the corruption factor so the library would only have been a drain, at least the cathedrals provide happyness.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old October 2, 2002, 03:32   #12
Torkkeli
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

What I think is the location of the city tells me a lot about what to build there.

a) border cities
Each border city should have at least one if not two culture buildings to prevent flip and to cause neighbour to flip. (Temple, Library)
When first culture building is in place if corruption is bad build a courthouse.
After these two/three initial buildings the city is in pretty good shape to build anything needed.

b)inner cities
As inner cities have already been bordercities they have usually at least a temple. Now if corruption is not so bad go straight to lib and market. If corruption is bad court, lib, market.

Btw. How much do lib and cath produce culture/turn?

Last edited by Torkkeli; October 2, 2002 at 03:38.
Old October 2, 2002, 08:32   #13
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

I just love everyone's argurments!

"We don't need to build libraries while our science rate is so low"

"We don't need to increase the science rate until we have a bunch of libraries"

So I take the only victory we're shooting for is conquest as we will never have libraries or an increased science rate?
Old October 2, 2002, 10:10   #14
zeit
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Indeed, what Torkeli said is a logical compromise. We could really benefit from Marketplaces in large relatively close to the palace cities, like Gaia, for example. This will also increase happiness, giving us an extra of 2 happy faces from the 4 luxuries we have.
but the more corrupted cities need the Courthouses more, i agree with that.
Old October 2, 2002, 10:11   #15
Robber Baron
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by GodKing
... The libraries I have started are more for a combo of future science and culture than anything else, particularly as I would like to have at least 5 before we hit the golden age. ... Many of the libraries I started last turn I switch over to cathedrals because of the corruption factor so the library would only have been a drain, at least the cathedrals provide happyness.
Sounds like a good strategy. The science payoff from libraries is minimal not only because of our science slider being set at 0, but also due to corruption. So at this point the main benefit from libraries is cultural. But with cathedrals, we get the culture hit plus greatly improved happiness levels. Happiness leads to We Love the King Day, which is one of the best ways to combat corruption on the distant margins of our empire.

At current count, we have 8 cities with a population of at least 5, and only 2 cathedrals built (in Timeline and Macross).
The Almighty Banana demands more.
Old October 2, 2002, 11:31   #16
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Initial Size limits should dictate what we should build. If a city can only grow to size 6 without an Aquaduct, then Librairies then Marketplaces first. If a city is on a river, Marketplace then Library. With enough Luxuries and marketplaces, you don't need the Cathedrals until size 7-9. Initial Science & Money are the most important if we want to be a dominate society.

Courthouses aren't needed except for the following reasons:
1) If a city is 15-18 or greater distance from Palace/FP, should have first.
2) 10-12 to 15-18, only need after both Marketplace/Libraries are both present.
3) below 10-12, Only after University/Bank is completed
4) Capital, just before or after building Factory (more for combatting waste than corruption). Or gust before moving the Palace.
These also depend on what the growth/production capabilities of a city, so this isn't a rigid rule of thumb, just a guideline.

E_T
Old October 2, 2002, 13:17   #17
zeit
King

Basicl, what E_T suggests is a more detailed and city-tailored program, and i think that's just what we need, where we have great commerce potential and we also need the extra happiness from luxuries, we kill two birds with one stone when building a marketplace, and IMO we only need a courthouse in the badly corrupted cities, as the commercial potential and happiness effect of the marketplace in the other cities exceeds the benefits of the courthouse.
Old October 2, 2002, 13:46   #18
Robber Baron
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by E_T
With enough Luxuries and marketplaces, you don't need the Cathedrals until size 7-9.
E_T
True, perhaps (though I'd set the threshold at 5-6). But at those more populous levels, the impact of Sistine'd cathedrals is dramatic. Compare Here It is (no cathedral, 7 population, 4 happy, 3 unhappy) with Macross (cathedral, 8 pop., 4 happy, 4 content, roughly equidistant from capital).

Quote:
Originally posted by E_T
Initial Science & Money are the most important if we want to be a dominate society.
E_T
Again, science is not a consideration for us right now. And WLTK is a great way to cut down on corruption which will make our cities better earners. Meanwhile, our cultural status will grow.
Old October 2, 2002, 13:56   #19
Robber Baron
Prince

Plus (sorry about the double post), cathedrals are significantly cheaper than equivalent science or commerce improvements (because we're religious). More bang for the buck.
Old October 2, 2002, 19:14   #20
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 08:47
I do not think we should split our production between Marketplaces and Libraries. We should build either or to start with and not make it city specific. If some have Libraries and some marketplaces, then we loose what ever advantage we get from a slider change as increased tax doesn't effect the cites with libraries and increased sci doesn't help cities with markets.

I do, however that we should build culture improvements on border cities that we want to flip other cities with. In these cities we should build cathederals (big cult and happy).

IMHO it should be
Marketplace, Library, University, Cathedral, Bank
in every city.
Old October 2, 2002, 19:21   #21
Robber Baron
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by donegeal
I do not think we should split our production between Marketplaces and Libraries. We should build either or to start with and not make it city specific. If some have Libraries and some marketplaces, then we loose what ever advantage we get from a slider change as increased tax doesn't effect the cites with libraries and increased sci doesn't help cities with markets.
Excellent point, donegeal. If we try to straddle, we miss the opportunity to optimize a particular strategy.

Quote:
IMHO it should be
Marketplace, Library, University, Cathedral, Bank
in every city.
I'd put Cathedral before library, at least. (With our slider set so low on science ..... well, by now I'm sounding reptitive.)

[edit: I messed up the quote thing.]
Old October 3, 2002, 00:09   #22
XOR
Warlord

Both Marketplaces and Libraries are a MUST in every single city.

Marketplaces are of extreme importance because they boost our income and give extra happyness. Libraries are cheap and give a very powerfull culutural and science boost. It's Courthouses the ones we can ignore in cities where corruption loss in not enough to care about. Both Marketplaces and Libraries are Trade-fed improvements, so every city that is good for one is also good for the other. If a city isnt good for any of the two, it still needs them both.

Marketplaces should go before than Libraries because they help making other productions faster. So if we build marketplaces in every city and then libraries in every city we will finish the construction of both faster if we start with the marketplace first than if we start with the libraries first. This is because the marketplaces give a happyness bonus, alowing more citizens to work without the need of entertainers AND because it generates extra income that can be used to rush build the libraries and have our cities ready to build more military units sooner.

My suggestion of queue:
Courthouse (selective) -> Marketplace -> Aqueduct -> Library ->Cathedral.

In every city, and wait (ie. war) until banking to make a break (ie. 20 turn peace) to build banks in every city and universities in cities with low corruption.

This queue is ordered/sorted especially to finish the full list as fast as possible.

Last edited by XOR; October 3, 2002 at 00:21.
Old October 3, 2002, 00:29   #23
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

When do we expect to research our own tech? Its abit early to decide this but industrial age would be approaching us soon and we want to start off the lead so that we can enjoy technological superiority with units.
Old October 3, 2002, 00:42   #24
XOR
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Calc II
When do we expect to research our own tech? Its abit early to decide this but industrial age would be approaching us soon and we want to start off the lead so that we can enjoy technological superiority with units.
We can research our own tech once our cities are properly developed. In any case, we need a whole lot more cities than the AI because the AI can research things faster. In order for us to make a discovery we need to spend 125% the amount of sci of what the AI has to spend, if we discover it first we pay the full price and the AI gets it even cheaper.

The higher the difficulty level the bigger the AI's "builder" bonus. The only thing were we play on even terms is combat.
Old October 3, 2002, 02:07   #25
Torkkeli
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Quote:
Good point.
But this is why I never use such a strategy. The cities are always in different stages of building no matter what you do. I prefer to develop the cities individually. This way the beakers and cash come from the cities which have already been developed and are near the capitol. So I don't have to think about if I set this slider here what will it do....

But this strategy is based on a minimal war strategy. I don't go banging everybody else right from the start but rely on culture and maybe, when neccessary, on the sword.

But hey, I'm a builder and proud of it!
Old October 3, 2002, 10:59   #26
Robber Baron
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by XOR
Libraries are cheap and give a very powerfull culutural and science boost.
The science "boost" is minimal, given our low rate of research on the slider. (Down the road that will probably change, but for now it's a wasted build, with not insignificant upkeep costs.)
Cathedrals give us the culture, increase happiness (a lot, with the Chapel), and are substantially cheaper for us to build.
Old October 3, 2002, 13:29   #27
zeit
King

The discussion here is, Marketplaces Vs. Libraries, not Libraries against Cathedrals, and indeed, the sceince boost of libraries is minimal right now, and a better short term investment . We need to invest in the shorter term- when we can maximinze the bonus trade from the Republic and the beneifts of GA, which will probably occur soon enough- in the american annexation (about 4-8 turns), so building marketplace in the less corrupt and large cities, like Gaia (4gpt), and BHQ (2gpt) for example is of outmost importance and benefit, as these cities will grow quickly (are on river tiles) and provide us with greater income in the future, and also 4 extra happy faces (after we get the persian spice). This extra gold can be used to rush culture buildings and courthouses in border cities.
As for the culture buildings, Cathedral is my favorite, it's affect is awsome and is relatively cheap, and will probably help us get plenty of WLTK to fight waste in those far off cities.
Old October 3, 2002, 22:09   #28
Thud
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNever Ending StoriesC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4BtSDG Templars
Prince

Solution: Build both, build 'em all, build 'em now!

Primary Concerns: Courthouses, Marketplaces
Secondary Concerns: Libraries, Cathedrals, Universities
Tertiary Concerns: Banks
Not at all Concerns: Military Buildup
Old October 25, 2002, 16:15   #29
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 00:47
Implementing Science Goals
Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
As we start completing the universities we shoudl start edging the slider to a higher concentration on science and make the bulk of out gold from selling science.

In my games I have science maxed out on the minumum # of turns to completion, usually 4 turns at 40 to 60% science rate. I always get the techs first and keep the AI civs broke by selling my tech to all of them.
We're halfway through the tech tree when are we going use the science slider? There are cities that are going to be corrupt enough to need a WLTKD to fight corruption, even after the Palace & FP are built. In those cities, we build courthouses and marketplaces first. So we can raise the science slider, we should build libraries. According to the poll and thread at:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=65452

You want ToE to get Hoover Dam, ToE is not many techs away, so we will need to raise the science rate soon.
like GhengisFarb, I've also used tech selling effectively,every tech we get first our sales will help us raise the science slider, until we get one every 4 turns. Then we can eigher stop selling them and coast, or rush build some corruption fighters and factories.
Old October 25, 2002, 16:20   #30
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

RealPoltic, IMHO, the only way we could be the first in the world to even a low AI priotiry tech like Democracy will be to raise the science rate as soon as Printing Press is discovered.