View Poll Results: Which city pair is the best choice for our Palace and FP?
Timeline and Antioch 8 9.41%
Timeline and Contaginon 17 20.00%
Gaia and Antioch 4 4.71%
Gaia and Contaginon 3 3.53%
Chiquita and Antioch 2 2.35%
Chiquita and Contaginon 1 1.18%
Ghengistown and Antioch 7 8.24%
Ghengistown and Contaginon 8 9.41%
Del Monte and Antioch 4 4.71%
Del Monte and Contaginon 2 2.35%
Macross City and City On a Hill 7 8.24%
Macross City and Geofront 15 17.65%
Macross City and Napoleton 4 4.71%
Other - Specify in thread below 3 3.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 2, 2002, 11:16   #31
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 08:47
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I've stayed out of this till now bu might aswell voice my opinion now.

Other: FP in gaia or del monte and hold off on the palace till we get a GL.
We should build teh FP in a city that is likely to have it finished in under 50 turns and can't really wait 100+ turns for a palace to be built manually. So build FP in gaia/linney then see how things look when we get a GL.
Old October 2, 2002, 11:16   #32
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 09:47
Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
After Manufacturing Facilities both produce the units in one turn, only now the hill city is wasting half its production and generating extra pollution for it.
After Manufacturing plants the game is over. At the latest. Plain and simple.
Old October 2, 2002, 11:21   #33
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 02:47
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph

Please, give me a break... All cities, river or not, can get a +1 commerce bonus at every tile we work at. Just build a road. This isn't hard to do, as we are industrious.
And they get an additional +1 for a river tile!
So that 's +2, DOUBLE the commerce of a non river tile.

How you missed that piece of information, I don't know. It's in the Civopedia and the Rulebook.
Old October 2, 2002, 11:31   #34
Harovan
staff

I thought you were talking about the +1 commerce bonus with Republic and Democracy, which indeed comes with any commerce, river, road or both. But anyway. Our former core won't be completely corrupt. It will be very nicely between the 2 P/FP buildings and, after Democracy, Courthouses and Police stations be at least 80% productive, I assure you.

But their production always will remain mediocre. It's not about units. A Tank or MA in 1, 2 or 3 turns makes not much of a difference.

But a wonder or spaceship part in 5-6 turns vs. 15 turns in your grassland city makes.
Old October 2, 2002, 11:40   #35
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Local Time: 03:47
Also the Macross area is not without rivers. I'm looking at a map not the game, but it looks like Macross itself has about 16 river tiles, and the surounding cities also have a fair amount.
on the other hand it is primarily moutains in the Macross area, not hills. An important difference

Last edited by Randolph; October 2, 2002 at 11:48.
Old October 2, 2002, 11:49   #36
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I voted "other" since I'm in favor of the combo "ghengistown" - "city on a hill". I don't have maps or the game here, so I didn't check which cities have nice food/production/commerce possibilities. I only checked the location of the cities I mentioned.

By the way - by 'pollution', do you mean thrown away banana peels?
Old October 2, 2002, 11:56   #37
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
But a wonder or spaceship part in 5-6 turns vs. 15 turns in your grassland city makes.
My grassland cities can build the spaceship parts in 4-7 turns (depending on the part) with a factory and Hoover Dam. I suspect the reason yours take longer is because they are so far from the capital.
Old October 2, 2002, 12:30   #38
Harovan
staff

Quote:
My grassland cities can build the spaceship parts in 4-7 turns (depending on the part) with a factory and Hoover Dam. I suspect the reason yours take longer is because they are so far from the capital.
Pretty unqualified comment. I'd like to see the grassland city, that builds the SS Engine, SETI or the UN in 4-7 turns. This city would have to give net 143-250 shields .

But indeed, the production of both is not so far apart than it may seem. Here are 2 screenshots of cities, optimized for production. Both have the same improvements, Factory and Hoover. Both are fully improved and are the same distance to palace/FP. The grassland city gives net 100 shields, and the mixed hill/grassland/plains city gives net 120 shields. So the difference is indeed not that big.

Grassland:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	grass.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	26096  
Old October 2, 2002, 12:31   #39
Harovan
staff

An mountains/hills:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	hills.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	26097  
Old October 2, 2002, 14:06   #40
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Pretty unqualified comment. I'd like to see the grassland city, that builds the SS Engine, SETI or the UN in 4-7 turns. This city would have to give net 143-250 shields .
No more "unqualified" than yours:
Quote:
Which claims the grassland city would have only 1/3 the production of a non-grassland city.
Old October 2, 2002, 15:42   #41
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Settle down guys or I'll call Duddha in here to eat your babies!

If you admit (Sir Ralph) that a grassland city and a grassland/hill city doesn't have a significant amont of difference then we should forgo the production part and concentrate on the commerce aspect.

If you are still worried about production consider a Timeline/Ghengistown - Contagon (damn speling) option (thats what I voted for ) It will maximize our river grassland centers (our core and Persian Annexation) and have over lapping effect on the Geofront area (our production center). As stated ealier, Uber Island is going to be corrupt no matter what we do (except build one of the improvement there ). Uber will just be a great big Jamacian vacation paradice!
Old October 2, 2002, 15:57   #42
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 04:47
Just think that with the macross option, the former center of our empire will be almost directly between the two, and will have overlapping benifits of both improvements. Corruption will be minimized (not eliminated) in this area.

I think we should go for a diplomatic victory myself, but in order to get one we will need BOTH a strong production and research/financial standing.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old October 2, 2002, 16:02   #43
Harovan
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by donegeal
If you admit (Sir Ralph) that a grassland city and a grassland/hill city doesn't have a significant amont of difference then we should forgo the production part and concentrate on the commerce aspect.
Why should I admit what's wrong? 20% is significant, when it comes to wonder and space race. And mind you, that the AI has 20% production bonus, so we need every shield we can make. And if you look at my example, both cities make the same commerce. Grassland cities remain only 2nd choice.

Especially in the medieval age, where the best wonders are, mountain cities show their power. Grassland cities get better only with railroads. They increase the productivity of unshielded grassland by 100% and of shielded by 50%. They increase the productivity of mountains and hills only by 33%, so the difference is much higher before railroads.

Here's the wonder list of my hill city. All wonders are built, none rushed. The list of the grassland city is empty. It wasn't that good in the wonder race to trust it good wonders.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	wonders.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	26114  
Old October 2, 2002, 16:04   #44
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 10:47
Godking: you can only be affected by either the palace or the FP (whichever is closer) but not by both.
See this excellent thread for more info.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old October 2, 2002, 17:10   #45
ruby_maser
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Quote:
This is a revelation to me. I've always know of the Builder vs Wamonger concepts. But I was never aware of the Shields vs Commerce strategies.

I am definitely in the pro-Commerce strategy camp. Shields only do 1 thing: build. Commerce does 3 things: Science, Gold, and Happiness.
when you consider that shields can build structures that contribute to science, gold, and happiness plus build a military... the playing field between commerce and production is bet more level
"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi
Old October 2, 2002, 17:15   #46
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Glad to see that two pairs are jumping out in this poll. (Even though my pair isn't one of those two.)

Yesterday at this time, responses were bascially flat.

A 20% difference is very important for building Factories, Small Wonders, Great Wonders, Forbidden Palace, relocating the Main Palace, and ICBMs. (Athough some Factories may be rushed.)

For military units, say a Tank, it doesn't matter unless it brings it below a key threshold and needs an extra turn.
Old October 2, 2002, 18:46   #47
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph But indeed, the production of both is not so far apart than it may seem. Here are 2 screenshots of cities, optimized for production. Both have the same improvements, Factory and Hoover. Both are fully improved and are the same distance to palace/FP. The grassland city gives net 100 shields, and the mixed hill/grassland/plains city gives net 120 shields. So the difference is indeed not that big.
Hmmm.. sounded like you were making a consession to me...
Old October 3, 2002, 09:53   #48
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

It definitely looks like it will be a runoff between Timeline/Contaginon and Macross City/Geofront.
Old October 3, 2002, 10:47   #49
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

This has been one of the best debates I have seen around here. Very refreshing break from the Builder/Warmonger threads that have dominated our early history.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old October 3, 2002, 11:58   #50
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
This has been one of the best debates I have seen around here. Very refreshing break from the Builder/Warmonger threads that have dominated our early history.
HeHeHe I know, this is the first time I've disagreed with Sir Ralph on something. I could practically see the steam rising from his ears.

HeHeHe.
Old October 3, 2002, 13:49   #51
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

yes, it's interesting to see various perspectives (wrong as they may be ), and although it seem combative it's just do to the interest level.
Old October 3, 2002, 18:59   #52
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 04:47
Thinking about the central cities. Remember, the palace will not move until its new location has (per my CP orders - at least for the next two weeks):

Courthouse
Temple
Cathedral
Aquaduct (if needed)

I would prefere it also to have a library, market, bank and factory, but these are not essential. Temple and cathedral to keep the people happy durrin the long construction (I hope to get some slaves to join the city to up production as much as possible - up to size 10 I hope)

The FP will be the same, but I will use money to rush the three necessaries and slaves to move in ASAP (if our esteamed Public Works Director will permit).

This will keep our current core productive for a while longer, building the courthouses and what not it will need.

GK

PS - when does this poll end? and when do we start the next one? I want to get moving on some of these improvements ASAP.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old October 3, 2002, 19:05   #53
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Macross City and Geofront

after we take this puny continent these will be better suited locations!
Old October 3, 2002, 19:37   #54
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GodKing
PS - when does this poll end? and when do we start the next one? I want to get moving on some of these improvements ASAP.
It was set to be a 5 day poll.
Old October 3, 2002, 21:16   #55
Reddawg
Prince

As Minister of Economy I support Macross City - Geofront!
Old October 3, 2002, 21:21   #56
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Timeline and Contaginon!
Old October 4, 2002, 00:45   #57
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Timeline and Contaginon... I honestly think they're *much* better placed for keeping our entire empire within the reach of the FP and Palace...

And Ubercrux and others... if we really take over all of France, Greece, and Russia... there's no reason we can't then MOVE THE PALACE AGAIN from Timeline to Macross City... but with the empire we expect to have at least for the next age worth of the game, it makes MUCH more sense to have the capital in Timeline.
Old October 4, 2002, 01:07   #58
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 05:47
I don1t know exactly what the CoL says about , but IMO we already have the two options for a new poll:
Timeline and Contaginon vs. Macross City and Geofront.
And, to make the things more interesting, the first couple is supported by the Minister of Imperial Expansion and the second by the Minister of Economy...

I love this game!
Old October 4, 2002, 01:33   #59
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Timeline is Contagious!

Oops! I meant Timeline and Contaginon!

I felt a 5 day poll would be better as this is a very important decision. It's not like they can build one or the other in one turn session anyway.
Old October 5, 2002, 17:57   #60
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

[This poll closes tomorrow and then we will have a runoff between the obvious contenders.