Old October 1, 2002, 14:11   #1
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 08:47
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Comment thread for the Celtic AAR
Figured that since I'll be posting the AAR in segments, and to keep the actual AAR separate from the comments for ease of reading, I'd open a comment thread first, in case there are any....AAR thread to follow shortly.....

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old October 1, 2002, 14:18   #2
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 09:47
Before anyone else gets in there... AAR?
Old October 1, 2002, 14:35   #3
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

After Action Report....not QUITE accurate in this case, as the game is still ongoing, but I was having a good time writing 'bout it....

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old October 1, 2002, 14:36   #4
Velociryx
staff

Ahhh, and I guess some mention should be made of game settings:

World size - normal
Accepted the defaults for world construction, goods, etc.
Impossible difficulty
Max Barbarians
8 Civs
Modding: SAP2

-=Vel=-

Last edited by Velociryx; October 1, 2002 at 14:42.
Old October 1, 2002, 14:42   #5
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Slightly embarrassing that the AI was rolled over so easy but i look forward to the next installment!
Old October 1, 2002, 14:47   #6
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 01:47
Your AAR didn't mention the Barbarian threat - how are they on SAP2?

Good story so far...
Old October 1, 2002, 14:52   #7
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Yep, barbarians are a pain in the arse when they start stacking from nowhere in SAP, in my experience. I dont know what turn it is but theyll be creeping around soon.
Old October 1, 2002, 15:39   #8
Velociryx
staff

Thanks guys! And funny you should mention the barbs....their frightening appearance will be revealed in the next installment!

-=Vel=-
Old October 1, 2002, 17:27   #9
Velociryx
staff

Next installment is up, just before quittin' time!

-=Vel=-
Old October 1, 2002, 17:39   #10
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

The second chapter has left me anxious for part III...
Old October 1, 2002, 19:16   #11
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 18:47
Vel:

BTW, how does the SAP2 AI, gameplay and flow compare with other games of the genre? Does it bring CTP2 up to Civ1 and SMAC levels?

Oh, and how bout some screenies?
Old October 1, 2002, 21:09   #12
Velociryx
staff

Thanks guys....did the first two installments from memory, but will remember to bring my trusty notebook with me to work tomorrow so I can add further detail (which may include editing these first two posts....don't know tho...I think I hit the high spots and didn't leave out anything important!).

As to pacing, and quality of the AI....I found the AI to be about average for TBS games (tho I can well imagine that unmodded, I would already be in firm control of the continent). I'd say it blows the doors cleanly off of Civ, and rivals SMAC in terms of sheer enjoyment....on a certain level (given that the game has a certain historical rootedness, it even surpasses SMAC, tho SMAC's movies were more dynamic and engaging (and thus, provided a more immersive gaming experience). Nonetheless, if I had to rate this game on the ol' ten scale, I'd give SMAC a 9, and CtP2 a solid 8.5 (and SMAC was my all time favorite!)--and Nancy just peeked over my shoulder and said "and the game virgin gives it a 7!" (she's a total CtP2 addict tho... two nights in a row now, she was up till 3am, if that tells you anything! *G* )

Screenies are on the way....in truth, I didn't even THINK of doing that till I had secured my borders, so the first screenies will be making their appearance sometime after episode three is posted (in which, the Celtic nation squares off against the fierce Barbs, Spaniards, Dutchmen, and the mighty Russian bear....all at the same time, no less!) More later....

-=Vel=-
Old October 2, 2002, 00:18   #13
Dale
Emperor

Vel:

Glad to hear that the SAP2 Mod rates well. Makes my heart swell, and eyes glisten to know that my Mod is enjoyable.

BTW, if you're after agression, wait till you try Cradle Mod. In SAP2 I was aiming more for that well-rounded AI, whereas Cradle is definitely a warmonger AI.
Old October 2, 2002, 10:39   #14
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 03:47
Sweeeeeeet writeup Vel...

8.5?????? That close to SMAC???? Who'd thunk that...

We are truly humbled by the glowing report.

Tell all your friends
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old October 2, 2002, 13:16   #15
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Part III -

Thank god for that Dutch cease-fire Now, how long will it last?...

On a side note, I have never used the "retreat" option during battles... Maybe because I mainly play over LAN with my partner and retreat doesn't work on MP games... but I can see how it would come in handy at times.
Old October 2, 2002, 14:33   #16
Maquiladora
Emperor

Without knowing the lay of the land yet, my money is on the Celts ... for now. The English and Slavs can only get stronger while your warring with the Dutch though

I always use retreat, but only when its obvious im going to lose. If its a close fight its often when all my defending units are dead i retreat, leaving my flankers and ranged units. So i just churn out defenders. But of course, it should never be used
Old October 2, 2002, 15:08   #17
Velociryx
staff

Well, I've got two screenies saved as bmp's at home (did that last night), will add some more as photo ops come available in the war with the Dutchmen, but the AAR as it stands now (up to part four) pretty well brings me up to date as far as the game goes (I started the war with the Dutch last evening, but have not yet progressed very far....that will be the subject of the next part), soooo....more as the story continues to unfold!

I'm not really all that concerned about the English tho....they're strong, but neither they nor the Slavs have ever really even given me the time of day....I think if I can successfully grow the kingdom at Dutchman expense, I should be 'bout on par with the English, and be able to close the gap on the slavs. The one thing I'm a bit concerned about is that all this warring has really hurt my science outputs. I expect to be facing riflemen and cannon any moment now, and that gives me some pause....nonetheless, we are the Celts, and we have a plan!

Glad you guys are enjoying it so far! It's been a great game to this point, and once I can get myself firmly established, the hope is that I'll be able to start doing more diplomatic stuff rather than brute force conquering, but we shall see....

-=Vel=-
Old October 2, 2002, 19:20   #18
Dale
Emperor

Quote:
game note – the actual fact is that I was so surprised to see that many troops guarding a crappy little town that I almost choked on my tea and couldn’t get my mouse over the retreat button in time

I've done that before, but with coffee. Not pretty.
Old October 3, 2002, 22:31   #19
Tamerlin
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 10:47
Thanks for your AAR Vel, it's really entertaining. Keep on !

I'am currently playing a SAP game myself but an AAR would not be interesting as I'am not targetting the higher difficulty levels. As far as Civ like games are concerned I'am belonging to the "Empire Builder" kind of gamers which means I'am avoiding wars though at least one is unavoidable and even necessary in order to grab some land and a few fully grown cities.

I just can say your AAR is inciting me to try a higher difficulty level and devise new strategies...

Last edited by Tamerlin; October 4, 2002 at 07:35.
Old October 4, 2002, 01:23   #20
Velociryx
staff

Thanks again for the kind words and encouragement guys! And as promised, here are a couple of screenies from the game so far....only put three in this batch, but there will be more!

-=Vel=-

Click here for screenies
Old October 4, 2002, 04:34   #21
Maquiladora
Emperor

Vel, I noticed you havent got the option for seeing the enemies health bar, turned on, did you decide that was cheating or have you just not seen it in the advanced options yet?

And whats with the Civ style road spewing around Amsterdam and den Haag? For easier stack movement?

(will read part 5 now)
Old October 4, 2002, 07:42   #22
Gilgamensch
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Hi Vel,

quite a story..........can't wait to hear more.......

Excellent job (both for the AAR and freeing the Celts).

Could you maybe mention a little bit more about your science as well? As I am more of a builder, I would like to compare (don't feel insulted ) your level and mine......... (not that they can be really compared.......)

Was it maybe in this time that the song "Who wants to live forever" had been created

Where is more............... Can't wait any longer...............
Old October 4, 2002, 07:45   #23
Tamerlin
King

Local Time: 10:47
Quote:
Originally posted by Velociryx
Click here for screenies
Excellent pictures and comments.

I have just played with the SAP so far, I'am eagerly waiting for your future comments on the other mods.
Old October 4, 2002, 11:29   #24
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Local Time: 04:47
Good screenshots and explanations of the screenshots. Thanks!
Old October 4, 2002, 12:20   #25
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Quote:
90BC – We are warned by both the Slavs and the English to stop researching Theology. As both nations are significantly larger and stronger, we decide to heed this advice. At least they’re talking to us, rather than attacking outright. We didn’t really want it for any particular purpose anyway, it was simply the fastest tech to research!
Interesting...I've never had the AI demand that I stop a certain research.
Old October 4, 2002, 18:37   #26
child of Thor
Emperor

Great fun to read! Hopefully this will start of a batch of AAR's and we can expand these forum's
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old October 5, 2002, 08:12   #27
Velociryx
staff

Morning all! Writing from work (yeah, it was my Saturday...kinna sucks, but...::shrug:: Will be posting an addition to the AAR soon, but I have to say....having played on into the early 1800's, this game TOTALLY rocks! No shortage of hair-raising stuff to talk about in the AAR, that's for sure, and I've been takin' good notes, so I should be able to do it at least a bit of justice (not gonna do much of that "dateline reporting" cos after a while that gets dry, but there are places where it makes sense to).

To those questions:

Healthbar: I didn't actually realize you could do that, but even knowing that you can, I don't think I will. Strikes me as too much information I guess. I'm happy knowing how many baddies I'll be squared off against, I kinna like the mystery of not knowing how their health is....and, if I really wanna know, it's easy enough to spit out a hoplite or something and let him attack alone....

Mass-Roading: A habit I got into during my first game of CtP that seems to have stuck with me. Any time I make an invasion of someone else's turf, the first thing I do is mass build roads everywhere so that my reinforcements have an easier time getting up where I need them to be and not getting in each other's way, and so that my opponent has a correspondingly more difficult time figuring out exactly what route I'll be arriving along.

A highly mobile force is a victorious force, and the one thing I've noticed about CtP is that with so few roads (in general) built, you can ALWAYS predict where your biggest threats are going to come from (from down the roads, of course!), and you always know where you're going (just follow the road).

So that was the first thing I did upon attacking....mass road build (PW is as much a weapon of war as a Machinegunner, IMO) so my troops have total and unfettered access to the area I just conquered. Invaluable when attacking overseas, too, cos your troops get off the boats all disorganized and such....gives me room and time to get 'em the way I want 'em before giving them their marching orders (and btw, there IS an overseas invasion coming up in the AAR! One of the TOUGHEST, tooth-and-nail wars I've ever fought! I don't yet know the outcome of it (it's been ongoing for some two hundred years and the issue is STILL in doubt), but it's been a real nail-biter, that's for sure! Have captured some golden screenies from that section too!

-=Vel=-
Old October 5, 2002, 09:57   #28
Myrddin
Warlord

Glad you're enjoying it

CTP2 mechanics (armies,PW,sliders,specialists) all seem better than Civ3 but the AI is so weak

One of the things I enjoy is city sieges; use an army of catapults with a couple of defensive units to bombard a city for 2-3 turns to weaken the defensive stack, then use a normal balanced army to assult the breach. There is also a skill in knowing when to retreat with the assult force - it may delay the fall of the city by a turn, but much reduces your losses