Old October 1, 2002, 23:12   #1
Desert Dog
Warlord

Local Time: 00:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Presenting The Mod Games Challenge
For those who love playing Civ3 with a mod installed instead of normal game listen up. Elucidus and I have started a web site dedicated to mod makers & mod players alike. In no way are we trying to compete with any of the other "great" web sites already in the Civ community. Instead, we plan to support mod makers by providing forums dedicated to their mod.

We are offering web space too if interested e-mail Elucidus for details. As a matter of fact, we will be supporting mod makers for ALL GAMES that allow editing or modifications to be used in their games. If you have a game that you would want a forum created for, please contact Elucidus. elucidus@cdgroup.org

We are going to provide something no one else seems to be doing. We have created The Mod Games Challenge for everyone too compete for high scores and prizes. We hope this will be a great addition to the web site. No one else seems to make mod games for competition so CDG will. We are making the rules as we go along. Basically we will form playing groups for all mods. Everyone competes on a ladder type of progression. Once we have winners for all mods being presented we will then have a Championship play off. The winner will collect something special from CDG and his/her name in our Hall of fame. We will post details once our new web site has been over hauled.

Once PTW is released we will create Multi-player competition team challenges. We are considering doing a Scenario Games Challege too. Some Scenarios I have seen are modifications in themselves and should be included at some point.

The first TMGC will be based on The Balancer 3.0 with some slight changes to the military stats to reflect loosely what they will be in the 3.1 version. The first MGOTM has been posted check the http://www.cdgroup.org/forums/

Show your support by voting in our poll. Use this link for poll:
http://www.cdgroup.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34

One last thing, if anyone is interested in helping out in the Mod Games Challenge forum or any of our forums please contact Elucidus. Thanks. Good luck to all who think they can win!

"Crazy Civ Addict"

Visit The gathering place for mod makers & mod players alike at http://www.cdgroup.org
Home of "The Balancer" & "The Mod Games Challenge"

Last edited by Desert Dog; October 5, 2002 at 17:32.
Old October 1, 2002, 23:35   #2
Tuberski

Local Time: 03:49
The only problem I see with a Mod game of the month, is that you would HAVE TO make it a scenario. I know I I wouldn't want to change my Civ3.bic file every month.

But, otherwise, it sounds interesting.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old October 2, 2002, 00:06   #3
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 04:49
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Tube, good call... we've also found in AU that doing scenarios, and thus allowing people to choose difficulty level, is a very good thing.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old October 2, 2002, 01:48   #4
Desert Dog
Warlord

Mod Games Challenge
Well this is for people who find the normal Civ3 lacks many things for really enjoyable game playing. I guess it depends on how good of a player you are. If you can stand up to competition that will be some of the best. Plus we intend to offer up prizes to the overall Grand Champion. The entire event if we get it together will be based on a number of mods and/or scenarios. People that have signed up unless they have requested one mod that like will be divided up. Each group will compete until one winner overall. All winners of each group will compete for overall. The last one on one will be a specially made mod that will be very difficult. The winner of that game will be declared the CDG Mod Games Challenge Grand Champion. Prizes will be given out and of course entry into the Grand Champion Hall of fame. The prize will be determined at a later date but most likely it will be from a selection of computer hardware or software items too pick from.

Right now I am personally challenging anyone who "thinks" they are a good or the best player at civ3. Try competing against me and my game playing style with The Balancer 3.0 and soon to be released 3.1 version. We are adding more Mod Games for your enjoyment all month. At least 3 other mods will be made into MGC files. Come beat me if you can. We have 4 players trying to beat Desert Fox I doubt anyone can

Last edited by Desert Dog; October 5, 2002 at 20:13.
Old October 5, 2002, 20:56   #5
Elucidus
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4WDG StrategaC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4WDG Spamyard TeamC4WDG éirich tuireannC4WDG The GooniesC4WDG People's Army of the LadderC4WDG Calysium
Prince

Local Time: 02:49
What Desert Dog has done is a great thing. I understand everyone's reservations about their civ3mod.bic. The Balancer no longer overwrites the civ3mod.bic, it is done as a scenario, some of the other standard files are overwriten, but there is a .zip file we offer that replaces everything with the originals from civ3. I am not sure how Desert Dog has it set up, I think it is as a savegame to make everything identical for everyone.

I think it will be that much better when PTW comes out. Anyhow, I think it will really take off, because PTW supports true mods/scenarios. All rules, graphics, and other files are stored separately for each mod and for the main game. Sounds like PTW was made for the Mod Games Challenge (MGC)

Good luck to all.
Old October 5, 2002, 21:07   #6
Desert Dog
Warlord

PTW and Mod Games Challenge
Elucidus I did not realize I could say that about PTW. (I almost did and I erased it.)

Not only that once PTW has been released I will have all the different game modes available as a MGC. Prizes and the honor of being the best of the best in our Grand Champion Hall of fame.

Any modified game that is not in beta stage can be submitted for the MGC entertainment. Only those mods that are hosted at our site will be used in the Mod Games Challenge competition. It will be slow at first but once this gets going it should be very enjoyable. Once other games come we will use them for the MGC. SMAC & SMACX, or Civ2 mod makers are welcome to our site as well. We soon will have 6 different sections for the various games. Turn based, Real time strategy, Role Playing etc. This is just the beginning.