Old October 2, 2002, 17:22   #1
Darkness' Edge
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

Local Time: 19:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Turnchat protocol
I think perhaps we should start thinking about setting up some sort of protocol for larger turnchats. At those last term, only a portion of the directors turned up, and it wasn't so bad. But this turnchat, with the entire Director Branch here, it's just nuts. There's a whole lot of questions being asked, and quite a few are getting buried, and it's a bit difficult to find out what's going on.

It appears we're now running into some of the problems that the C3DG has had with turnchats...
Old October 2, 2002, 17:53   #2
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 11:50
Well one thing could be that you give the Commissioner, or if he's not too knowledgeable of the IRC op commands, someone trustworthy the operator status and have the chat moderated, i.e. only directors can speak and only after asking for permission from the Commissioner/operator. Of course this'll bog you down but at least you won't get confused.

Just a thought...
Old October 2, 2002, 18:09   #3
Darkness' Edge
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

That's possible, but might be a bit extreme.

A couple of things came out of this

Firstly, the Commish needs to keep the Council up to date on what's going on. It's not good enough to only pop your head back in when you need a quickpoll held - we need to know what's going on.

Secondly, if we try to cut back on the chatter, and the Commish is on the ball, I think this'll be alright next time.

EDIT: I'm not trying to put the blame on the Commish here...it's a problem with the system, not the Commish, but keeping the Council up to date would help things along, and lessen the amount of questions that have to be asked again, etc.
Old October 2, 2002, 18:17   #4
Pandemoniak
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 08:50
Location: of Xanadu, Scottish Section of the Apolyton Must Crush Capitalism Party
I suggest that :
1. The Commissioner has to let the Council know about EVERYTHING going on in the game, especially beginning of new turns, movements, and actions.

2. Only the Commissioner or someone appointed by him can start a quickpoll. He has the duty to annouce the different options, and precise the parameters needed for this vote. He annouces the opening and the closure of each quickpoll.

3. Any director can pause the game in order to ask a question or a poll to the Commissionner.
Old October 2, 2002, 18:51   #5
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

I agree with Pandemoniak.
Old October 2, 2002, 18:54   #6
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 05:50
except for 2. i think each director should be allowed to start a quickpoll if it relates to his/her department.
Old October 2, 2002, 20:18   #7
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Good point.
Old October 2, 2002, 20:42   #8
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 20:50
Good points Pande and TKG. Quickpolls work well in the Civ3DG where you give the choices in terms of a number or letter. That makes it easy to collate results too.

eg 1. Option A 2. Option B 3. Abstain

It's easy to see instantly the 1s and 2s and 3s - much shorter sentences than all the rest.

to letting the Directorate (and talents, if any present) know exactly what moves are being made. This could be done in a different colour, which only the Commish or AT (whoever's playing the game) can use. It helps with playing along too. I think otherwise we just need to regulate ourselves a little.

Just my observations. And yes, I have a more complete log than anyone.

[09:04] Has MWIA said something already? He's already in this room for hours I noticed
[09:04] he is always in the room it is not him something wrong with the server i think
[09:04] aha
[09:05] well, he created the room, actually, didnt he ?

Yes I did. And there is nothing wrong with the server. I was asleep. I'm sure I thought about waking up - but I blame extreme exhaustion.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old October 3, 2002, 03:57   #9
Pandemoniak
King

Location: of Xanadu, Scottish Section of the Apolyton Must Crush Capitalism Party
Good point TKG
Any director can start a quickpoll related to his/her departement with the same restriction as Commissionner .
Old October 3, 2002, 04:29   #10
Darkness' Edge
Prince

I agree with Pandemoniak, and also with the changes TKG suggested.

Old October 3, 2002, 06:00   #11
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

i partly agree with the system but it will slow everthing down a lot! if i have to tell what happend every turn it will be terrible if i tell about everthing every 4 or 5 turns that would be better for me
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old October 3, 2002, 08:46   #12
Pandemoniak
King

I think we showed we need updates for every turn
Old October 3, 2002, 09:59   #13
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

if so it will go very slow but do i have too tell about every move? also from all the formers and scouts? the rest is obvious that i have to tell about them but we have a great number of things that formers and scout need to do before i need new orders. for the rest i will ofcourse tell! ok shall i start a poll about the AA yes i will start a poll about it!
Old October 3, 2002, 10:34   #14
Darkness' Edge
Prince

Yes and no.
I think we'd forgive you if you didn't tell us every former movement, as long as you keep us generally updated on what they're doing, and you don't need to tell us every scout movement, as long as we know generally what they're up to, and where they're heading, with updates every 2 or 3 turns.

But for a turnchat to work, even if it does slow it down, we have to be kept updated. Otherwise we may as well go back to turnthreads.
Old October 3, 2002, 10:40   #15
DeathByTheSword
King

ok i am ofcourse ok with it all and i like MWIA idea on quickpolling 1-2-3 is much easier then yes-no-abstain i will tell you all when i begin a new turn and stuff and i will tell what happens ok who is for friday or saturday normal time OR sunday around 20.00 GMT
Old October 3, 2002, 10:44   #16
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

I can live with Friday and maybe Saturday. Sunday is out. Curse you Monday mornings!

Old October 3, 2002, 10:45   #17
DeathByTheSword
King

i think it will be saturday because friday is tomorrow allready

saturday who?
Old October 3, 2002, 11:12   #18
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DeathByTheSword
i think it will be saturday because friday is tomorrow allready

saturday who?
Err, I can't say I've ever met anyone called "Saturday" before....

Old October 3, 2002, 15:13   #19
DeathByTheSword
King

but who can make it? maybe an hour earlier then usual?
Old October 3, 2002, 16:44   #20
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 10:50
This post suffers from energy failure.

Last edited by Maniac; October 3, 2002 at 17:55.
Old October 3, 2002, 20:36   #21
Darkness' Edge
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by DeathByTheSword
but who can make it? maybe an hour earlier then usual?
I'll be back by then, but if you hold it an hour earlier, forget it. I'm not getting up at 6am on my last day of holidays. If you hold it at the usual time, I'll drag myself out of bed.
Old October 3, 2002, 20:40   #22
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Why is everyone talking about Wednesday in the turnchat room thread but it is Saturday here?

Old October 3, 2002, 22:47   #23
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 09:50
Why can't directors poll several queations in the one thread. And for that matter why don't say up to three directors put their proposals all in the same thread. Us planetarians could then respond to several proposals at the one time, rather than heve to post and exit ,post and exit.
Old October 3, 2002, 22:49   #24
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 09:50
OK doing this way allows you to build up post count but (see Rec.Comms next...............)
Old October 4, 2002, 02:44   #25
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

I could attend if we held the next one on fridays or saturdays at the usual time.
Old October 4, 2002, 07:47   #26
DeathByTheSword
King

so it i see if we want to have the australins with us we need to do it on saturday i dont think it will be aproblem for europe (except if you want to go out ) and US?
Old October 4, 2002, 08:50   #27
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Well just sometime that isn't right where the working day is. 2200GMT on Sunday-Thursday is the same as 0800 Monday-Friday East Oz time, and 1000 the same days in NZ. Whether we have Uni, college or work, these times are, I hope you'll agree, a lot less than ideal.

OTOH, The same time on Friday or Saturday (GMT) is, although perhaps a little unsavoury at times, attainable. Even for those who may want to be out in the US or Europe, our chats go for, what, an hour at most? Surely it's easier for those with social engagements to delay them slightly than it is for one of us to attempt to take a whole hour off work (if in fact we CAN do this).

Old October 4, 2002, 11:13   #28
DeathByTheSword
King

if am all ok for saturday or friday for me it doesnt matter that much because 22.00 GMT always come at a good time except sunday
Old October 4, 2002, 12:28   #29
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 10:50
Quote:
our chats go for, what, an hour at most
Just FYI, I think they will last 2 hours with the proposed turnchat protocol implemented.