Old October 3, 2002, 06:50   #1
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 10:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Newbie question - late game city size
I have only played CtP2 once and that was before I got CIV3 about a year ago. I played a level slightly harder than medium and had no problem to dominate the AI. I was the only one who was able to build in sea and space and finally achieve a scientific victory.

However, I noticed a thing I couldn't figure out. My cities stopped growing at size 60 (I think it was) and no matter what I did, changed government or hired farmer or built all improvements, they didn't grow. I thought it was a max size limit, but then when the final score was displayed, I saw that huge bonus could be given for cities above size 500, while mine stopped growing at 60. Anyone have a clue what I did wrong?

I have played CIV3 ever since, but now I want to give CtP2 a chance. I kinda like the idea of sea colonies, combined arms in stacks and space bombers.
Old October 3, 2002, 06:59   #2
Pedrunn
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 05:52
Quote:
and space
and space bombers
Space is a CTP1 feature, wich dropped in CTP2. I guess it has been really a long time since you last CTP2 play that you are mixing up both games.

Quote:
I thought it was a max size limit,
60 is a max size limit for the original game. But in modded games you can reach much bigger sizes.

Quote:
I have played CIV3 ever since, but now I want to give CtP2 a chance. I kinda like the idea of sea colonies, combined arms in stacks
had no problem to dominate the AI.
Try the Super Apolyton Pack. It is known to be the ultimate patch. And you can be sure that the AI will not be as easy to dominate as in the original game since this mod fix mostly it.

Check out the Apolyton Pack here:
http://www.crosswinds.net/~ctp2dale/ap/ap.html

and here is a list of all mods and scenarios for CTP2:
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=61175
-Jean Rostand

Last edited by Pedrunn; October 3, 2002 at 07:05.
Old October 3, 2002, 07:12   #3
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Pedrunn

Try the Super Apolyton Pack. It is known to be the ultimate patch. And you can be sure that the AI will not be as easy to dominate as in the original game since this mod fix mostly it.
Does it work for a cracked game or do I have to get my arse to the supermarket and get myself a "Nice Price CD"? I normally test cracked versions of the games before I buy them (and I DO buy them if I like them).
Old October 3, 2002, 07:16   #4
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:

60 is a max size limit for the original game. But in modded games you can reach much bigger sizes.

Why was the size bonus on the scoreboard then? If I don't play multiplayer, score matters (for me at least, as I try to beat my own highscore).
Old October 3, 2002, 07:49   #5
Pedrunn
King

Quote:
Does it work for a cracked game or do I have to get my arse to the supermarket and get myself a "Nice Price CD"? I normally test cracked versions of the games before I buy them (and I DO buy them if I like them).
My version is cracked and works perfecly. Although i have seen some people having problem with cracked versions. Give it a try. It is the best way to know. After all CTP2 mods doesnt work as some games out here you dont loose the original files.
When lauching the modswapper it will just include one more option. For example. I half almost a dozen of mod options to choose without having to install any specific file more than once.

Quote:
Why was the size bonus on the scoreboard then? If I don't play multiplayer, score matters (for me at least, as I try to beat my own highscore).
The beauty of CTP2 is that it was made with the help of modders. So almost anything you want to create in CTP2 is possible. The limitation for modding are really few.
And modyfing the max city size is such a easy one that they must have included it. Not to mention scenarios that follow this same principle and can have big cities. Or maybe the programmers just thought the best city limit after the score board was made . Those are just a guesses though.
Anyway, having big cities in the score does not hut anyone and i am glad it does since i am a modder.
-Jean Rostand

Last edited by Pedrunn; October 3, 2002 at 08:04.
Old October 3, 2002, 08:10   #6
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
The beauty of CTP2 is that it was made with the help of modders. So almost anything you want to create in CTP2 is possible. The limitation for modding are really few. And modyfing the max city size is such a easy one that they must have included it. Not to mention scenarios that follow this same principle and can have big cities. Or maybe the programmers just thought the best city limit after the score board was made . Those are just a guesses though. Anyway, having big cities in the score does not hut anyone and i am glad it does since i am a modder.
I think the creators of CTP2 hadn't the time to finish it. I whish I could edit the numbers for city sizes when you get more points.

-Martin
Old October 3, 2002, 08:16   #7
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 09:52
Just imagine the pollution in a size 500 city not to mention the unhappiness!
Old October 3, 2002, 10:37   #8
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Maquiladora
Just imagine the pollution in a size 500 city not to mention the unhappiness!
Yes game balance here is the problem I think they considered it to allow 500+ cities but they hadn't the time to finish it. So you can design a mod with higher grow's rate, and all of the stuff but it needs to be balanced.

-Martin
Old October 3, 2002, 16:22   #9
SMIFFGIG
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Quote:
This is wrong, for CtP1 this is most definitly wrong. I remember visiting my cousin who was playing ctp1 aaaggeess ago and he was in the genetic age and had cities of far bigger sizes. When I was watching throughout it grew from 99 to 102 (i was watching for a while). I dont know if this was changed in CtP2 but I certainly hope not.

Quote:
You cant run multiplayer if you have the crack, and i dont get it why the hell is there a crack for this game. If you can run it without the cd just by going into userprofile.txt and change requirescd=yes to no ??????
http://www.tiberiumsun.com
Old October 3, 2002, 16:34   #10
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 01:52
Quote:
Originally posted by SMIFFGIG

I dont know if this was changed in CtP2 but I certainly hope not.
It has changed. In unmodded CTP2, the max size is 60. I've had cities sit at 60 for ages... Modded, is however a different story. In SAP2, I've had a city size of over 400.
Old October 3, 2002, 17:35   #11
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by centrifuge
It has changed. In unmodded CTP2, the max size is 60. I've had cities sit at 60 for ages... Modded, is however a different story. In SAP2, I've had a city size of over 400.
Yeah by exploiting my city capture option. Maybe I should add code that will remove the additional population or disable the slavery option if you have one city at the limit of 60 or whatever the mod limit is. So actual it wasn't meant to have such a huge city, it wouldn't grow and would always starve as long as you don't change the rules.

-Martin
Old October 3, 2002, 18:18   #12
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 01:52
Quote:
Originally posted by Martin Gühmann

Yeah by exploiting my city capture option.
-Martin
Yep, but it got the job done You may have a good Idea with limiting the size, however I think any even better idea would be if someone with the time and knowledge made the game able to handle size 500 cities without this type of ... ahem, ahem, exploitation
Old October 4, 2002, 11:08   #13
J Bytheway
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SMIFFGIG
I dont know if this was changed in CtP2 but I certainly hope not.
It was indeed changed in CTP2, primarily because of the variable city radius, I presume.
Old October 7, 2002, 06:15   #14
Chemical Ollie
King

I spent a couple of hours last week to start a game of CtP 2 and suddenly I remember why I haven't played it for a year.

AI sucks, interface sucks (or at least I'm unfamiliar with it) and there are just to many city improvements and unit types.

But I still like the idea of combined arms in armies and underwater colonies. Perhaps I should try a mod?
Old October 7, 2002, 06:25   #15
Pedrunn
King

Try the apolyton Pack. The AI is much improved. You wont recognize it
Otherwise CTP2 was going to be dead since it was released, dont you think?
-Jean Rostand
Old October 7, 2002, 07:26   #16
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Olaf Hårfagre
AI sucks, interface sucks (or at least I'm unfamiliar with it) and there are just to many city improvements and unit types.
The interface doesnt suck, your just unfamiliar as you said. I used to love the CtP1 interface, but i recently started playing it again after a year or so of CtP2 and i didnt like it.

And there really is a use for EVERY type of unit, read Vel's notes on army composition.

Quote:
But I still like the idea of combined arms in armies and underwater colonies. Perhaps I should try a mod?
Try MedMod2, i just started playing it again, the AI isnt as hard as Apolyton pack or Cradle (without frenzy) but i like the increased diplomacy in it