Old October 3, 2002, 20:32   #1
Killazer
Warlord

Local Time: 08:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Overlooked, yet critical, aspect of modern aerial warfare
There are no aerial refueling tankers. These tankers allow modern aircraft to attack for the most part any place on the Earth. This is completely overlooked in civ3. So in this aspect civ3 is completely different from reality as the aircraft can never utilize aerial refueling and thus are severely limited in their operations as opposed to real life(tm) aerial refueling tankers allowing intercontinental and xtremelly long range strike capabilities.

This is a vital part of modern warfare and it isnt touched on at all in civ3. Oh well
Old October 3, 2002, 21:29   #2
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 01:53
There are lots of aspects of real life that don't make it into the game -- the designers openly state that they consciously departed from "realism" in an effort to make a more engaging game. It takes a little suspension of disbelief; nonetheless, I understand how it can be frustrating.

I haven't a clue about how to incorporate a concept of mid-air refeuling, but IIRC the editor does allow for an air range of up to 8 tiles or unlimited range (nothing in between, I'm afraid). I think some people have modded their games to provide the stealth bomber with infinite range on the theory that part and parcel of a stealth bomber force is the necessary support aircraft -- I have never played with this mod and suspect that it may be a bit unbalancing unless the human player consciously refrains from building and using a sizeable stealth force to provide significant force projection anywhereon the map.

Catt
Old October 6, 2002, 20:37   #3
Raion
Prince

Carrier use to take that place, since its more about having a Civilization, then mainly a war game, as some play it.

But then, maybe someone will add it in the editor or sort of.
Old October 7, 2002, 03:22   #4
XOR
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Raion
Carrier use to take that place, since its more about having a Civilization, then mainly a war game, as some play it.

But then, maybe someone will add it in the editor or sort of.
It became a war game since the moment trade routes are very limited and give insignificant income, since stock exchanges, supermarkets, farms and highways didnt make it into the game and since the moment the government types became totaly peace time/war time related. (As in, democracy is the best and only thing for peace but only works on peace, monarchy/communism are the only thing for war but are only for war. It's not based on different styles of management and so on).
Old October 7, 2002, 17:13   #5
planetfall
Prince

Local Time: 01:53
XOR

Stock exchanges are in PTW.

-- PF
Old October 7, 2002, 23:08   #6
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 00:53
I think the idea for air tankers was left out, simply put as before, because it's not necessarily a 'military' game over a strategy game. Too many units could have made the game too cluttered...
Old October 8, 2002, 09:23   #7
Bambul
Warlord

Local Time: 18:53
XOR:

I have found Civ3 to be less of a war game than Civ2 (or CTP2) and I often enjoy the peacetime buildup to potential (but not guaranteed) wars more than the actual wars themselves, which can be very anti-climactic (as in climax, not climate) after a few turns.

Also, I have used Communism during peacetime and Democracy during wartime before with great success.
Old October 8, 2002, 15:30   #8
Solomyr
Warlord

Local Time: 00:53
two more cents on the missing tankers...it would make airpower that much cooler. i envison it working to extent the range of a plane in a certian direction. "fortify" them like the fighter's air superiority mission, and then, when the bombers/fighters radius overlaps the tankers, the tanks radius is opened up to the bomber/fighter. realism and playability...i'm almost to proud