Old October 4, 2002, 05:06   #1
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 16:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Longshoremen strike
I am surprised that there have been no discussions on the strike. Are you people not interested?
Old October 4, 2002, 05:08   #2
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:54
No, we're not.
Old October 4, 2002, 05:13   #3
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 16:54
What a conincidence. Counterpunch has written an editoral on it:

Quote:
October surprises are built into our system, since elections come in November. Cliffhanger movies in Hollywood's old days could not have staged it better. Leaving aside hurricanes roaring out of the Gulf of Mexico, we now have, aside from the thump of the war drums: a lockout of some 10,500 dockworkers at every port on the West Coast from Seattle to San Diego, with the owners and big retail chains like Wal-Mart begging Bush to help them break the International Longshore and Warehouse Union (ILWU). In the event of a strike Bush could start by imposing a ninety-day back-to-work order under the Taft-Hartley law.

He could escalate by trying to place the longshore workers under the aegis of the Railway Labor Act rather than the National Labor Relations Act. The former allows the government to close down a strike by fiat and impose a settlement.

Another line of attack would be to try to undercut the ILWU's strategic ace in the hole, its status as a bargaining unit for every port on the Pacific Coast. Before Harry Bridges won that right for the union back in the 1930s, the owners could simply whipsaw the different bargaining units by shifting shipments from a struck port to one still operating.

The Administration has already had Tom Ridge hector ILWU leader James Spinosa with a phone call declaring that a stoppage would be injurious to the country. Implication: that the dispute would be cast as a terrorist attack by longshoremen against the national interest. The White House has also threatened to bring in the Navy to work the ports.

How tempting it must look for Bush and his political managers! Amid the war cries against Saddam they could stage a reprise of Reagan's onslaught on the air traffic controllers, with Bush waving the flag and deriding the longshoremen as Al Qaeda's auxiliaries, overpaid and bent on resisting modern technology that could fortify America's competitiveness on the battleground of world trade. He could even wave some appliance from Wal-Mart, made by a Chinese teenager working for 20 cents an hour, and proclaim that 50 percent of its retail price could be blamed on the greed of the dockworkers.

Actually, the longshoremen stand as a good symbol of what organized labor can do: get its members a decent wage (after thirty years or so of dangerous, skillful work they can maybe hope to earn what an MBA in his mid-20s, two years out of the Wharton School, would demand on walking in the door at a Wall Street firm); display a social and political conscience; and advertise the unfashionable idea that blue-collar work does not have to mean a starvation wage, looted pension fund and no healthcare. If you want the latter, drive, as I have, down the streets of Odessa, Texas, which is where George Bush formed his notions of what constitute workers' rights and a livable wage, and which has a murder rate that regularly battles Miami for first place on the national charts.
Old October 4, 2002, 05:14   #4
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

Local Time: 01:54
Well, without being as blunt as JohnT the whole matter just never caught my interest; I'm too busy with college work to be bothered with following it instead of larger issues: Iraq, Nevada Ballot questions 2 and 9, and this damn headache I've had for about fifteen hours now...

...But you are certainly welcome to get the dicussion going.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.
Old October 4, 2002, 09:49   #5
axi
Prince

Local Time: 11:54
Workers who refuse to work for breadcrusts are terrorists now?

I wonder how much this "civilian conscription" is different from slavery. People get forced to work, in both cases, don't they?
Old October 4, 2002, 10:18   #6
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

The article just a tad biased, don't you think?

Let them fight each other. If they can't get their sh!t together, then all of that business will go to Mexico.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old October 4, 2002, 10:18   #7
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 03:54
Re: Longshoremen strike
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
Are you people not interested?
Not particularly.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old October 4, 2002, 10:26   #8
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Technically it's not a strike, it's a lockout. It's the owners who've brought shipping to a standstill, not the workers.

Bush would shoot the Republicans in the foot in the November elections if he intervenes. The Republicans are trying to court the Teamsters, and Hoffa has said in no uncertain terms that if Bush intervenes it would end. On the flip side, the lockout is costing the economy $1 billion a day and could kill the "recovery."

The sticking point between the two organizations is over new hires. A lot of older jobs would be replaced with IT positions. The union is fine with the new technology, but wants new hires to be union positions. The companies don't. Despite my obvious bias, the union isn't being unreasonable. The companies are the bad guys here.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Last edited by chequita guevara; October 4, 2002 at 10:35.
Old October 4, 2002, 10:30   #9
Adam Smith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Well, folks, I just finished helping write an extensive report on containerization, and I am working on pretty much full time these days on figuring out the economic impact of the strike.

So far it looks like it is costing the economy about $1 billion per day in lost output. Over the next week or two that will grow to $2 billion per day as auto manufacturers and other firms with just-in-time production see their available inventories drawn down because of the strike.

By the way, it would be nice if Counterpunch had a clue what it was talking about. West Coast dockworkers are already among the highest paid industrial workers anywhere in the world, period. In 2001, maritime clerks averaged $118,825 in compared with $80,000 for longshoremen and $158,000 for foremen. The union rejected a contract which would increase average salaries for full-time longshoremen and marine clerks to $114,500 and $137,500, respectively, plus full benefits. Its a little hard to start singing "Solidarity Forever" over that.

More importantly, this strike is about TECHNOLOGY. A large poprtion of the traffic moving through West Coast ports is in 40 to 48 foot long containers. Trans-Pacific ships carry two to three thousand containers each. Huge crains offload the containers and put them on trains or trucks for the remainder of their trip. US ports require a four man crews to offload a container. In modern container ports like Hong Kong and Singapore, the work is done more quickly by ONE person with a robotic computer system in the cab of the crain. US ports require clerks to manually reenter date, time, container number, etc for containers entering and exiting a port. In the Far East and in Europe, data acquisition is done entirely by video scanner, which is much faster.

US container traffic is expected to grow rapidly as trade expands. Containers are a very efficient way to handle cargo. But it is difficult to expand ports due to environmental considerations. It is therfore important that existing ports be used efficiently. Its a hard to support a bunch of overpaid Luddites who think otherwise.
Old October 4, 2002, 10:34   #10
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Bravo!
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old October 4, 2002, 12:41   #11
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

The governemnt has shown no inclination to intervene. It seem like some lefist commentators are egging them on to do so.
From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"
Old October 4, 2002, 14:18   #12
boann
Civilization II Multiplayer
Princess

Local Time: 02:54
dang they need to come work for REAL WORLD
wages and see what the rest of the frigging world
is living on.... gawd...
100,000 a year blue collar worker and got complaints...
Old October 4, 2002, 15:04   #13
Felch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by axi
Read up on it. They earn anywhere from 80,000 to 160,000 a year.

My mom has a master's degree and earns only 40,000. These guys aren't complaining about wages.

The real problem is that they worry about losing jobs to increased efficiency and new technology. And frankly I think that's bullshit.
Old October 4, 2002, 18:34   #14
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 00:54
Quote:
Originally posted by axi

I wonder how much this "civilian conscription" is different from slavery. People get forced to work, in both cases, don't they?
Get your facts straight, first. The average wage for full time Longshoremen is around $89,000 per year. For their data entry clerks, it's around $115,000 per year, and for foremen, it's $155,000 per year.

Still want to ***** about the oppressed workers, or would you like to come on over and apply for a job?

The "civilian conscription" is no such thing. They can quit. They're given the choice of return to work, or get fired and replaced. Again, in a market economy where a lot of people would like jobs that paid half that much, cry me a ****ing river.

BTW, it's not a strike, it's a lockout, and contrary to the countercommie editorial, business isn't out to break the ILWU, they want the goddamn ports reopened because the shipping companies and port management, not the ILWU, have shut them down, and their action is now affecting tens of thousands of other workers whose jobs are dependent on items delivered though those ports.
Old October 4, 2002, 18:40   #15
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
The sticking point between the two organizations is over new hires. A lot of older jobs would be replaced with IT positions. The union is fine with the new technology, but wants new hires to be union positions. The companies don't. Despite my obvious bias, the union isn't being unreasonable. The companies are the bad guys here.
Union IT guys? And union work rules and bureacracy in an IT environment? God, man, think about it. *shudders*

The companies are the "bad guys" to the extent of forcing a lockout, but in terms of their overall position, the ILWU are both spoiled, and out of touch with reality.
Old October 5, 2002, 02:50   #16
Zkribbler
Deity

So let me get this straight. Management has closed down the ports on the West Coast, costing America $1 billion per day, because they want to fill the new IT positions with non-union workers. And management is shocked, shocked that the unions will not agree to this.

This is nothing but ol' fashion union busting and corporate greed run amuck.
Old October 5, 2002, 03:08   #17
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Well, if the "Union" in this case represents a few thousand grossly overpaid, grossly inefficient types who want to keep US port facilities productively years behind the rest of the developed world, maybe they should be "busted." Their

"Corporate greed" is on the side of keeping the ports open, regardless of who shut them, because there's far more corporations, workers, and dollars affect by loss of the goods moving through that ports, than there are due to port operations.

Both sides should have their asses kicked.
Old October 5, 2002, 03:14   #18
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

The post by Adam Smith is why I don't have much sympathy for the union in this particular case.

Furthermore, it's my understanding that the 1,600 or so positions that would be affected by new technology would, mostly, be reassigned to other jobs somewhere in the ports. Amazing. Basically, 1,600 people and dock management are screwing up the economy of an entire nation.

Thanks, gals and guys. I now have an inclination to automate the whole damn shebang — dockworkers and management alike — and kick the flesh-n-blood folks out for being obtuse.

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old October 5, 2002, 03:20   #19
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

/me whips out his baton

Let's go Union-bustin'!
Old October 5, 2002, 03:20   #20
KrazyHorse
Deity

They'd kick your ass in a heartbeat.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old October 5, 2002, 03:23   #21
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

/me beats Frogger with his baton

I still get all this lefty propaganda from my old union, even though I quit over a year ago. Unions really are on the ball, aren't they?
Old October 5, 2002, 03:26   #22
KrazyHorse
Deity

Frogger would kick your ass in a heartbeat too.

And then he'd get his lefty union friends to disappear your ass....
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old October 5, 2002, 03:27   #23
KrazyHorse
Deity

Damn it, why have you been in a union and I haven't?
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old October 5, 2002, 03:28   #24
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Sucks to be you.
Old October 5, 2002, 03:43   #25
Zkribbler
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat ... the "Union" in this case represents a few thousand grossly overpaid, grossly inefficient types ...
Tsk, tsk, such stereotyping.

Why is it always the workers who are overpaid, and never management??

How can you say the workers are inefficient, when the numbers of longshoreman have decreased by 90% since WWII while the amount of cargo unloaded has increased several fold?

If the workers are overpaid and inefficient, wouldn't the combination have caused shipping to economically collapsed?
Old October 5, 2002, 03:53   #26
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

No. they can ride on the efforts of the rest of them, if they have a choke hold, which they do.

$100K us per year and you are down trodden? Give me a freakin break!
Old October 5, 2002, 04:16   #27
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Zkribbler

Tsk, tsk, such stereotyping.

Why is it always the workers who are overpaid, and never management??
How many of the "management" bodies make $89,000 a year or more? I know lots of white color management types who wouldn't mind getting paid that much.

Quote:
How can you say the workers are inefficient, when the numbers of longshoreman have decreased by 90% since WWII while the amount of cargo unloaded has increased several fold?
How they do it now compared to how they did it 50 years ago isn't relevant. What is relevant is the throughput per worker in US ports compared to the throughput per worker in foreign ports.

Quote:
If the workers are overpaid and inefficient, wouldn't the combination have caused shipping to economically collapsed?
Well, if you could build a trans-pacific rail link, maybe there'd be competition to shipping. It's just a parasitic cost that's added to every item shipped in either direction through the ports, and since all Pacific coast US ports are under the same system, it doesn't matter. The choice is to ship stuff through the ports and suck up the parasitic costs, or not do it at all.
Old October 5, 2002, 05:59   #28
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 09:54
won't importers just bring their stuff through canada and mexico and then the will all be out of a job.
Old October 5, 2002, 06:23   #29
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

No, unfortunately.

Some US bound cargo is being handled at Ensenada, in Baja California, Mexico, but there's 29 US ports involved, so no way Mexican and Canadian port facilities can take that much capacity.

There's also the problem with outbound cargo, which can't be diverted. The north south rail net from Mexico and Canada, and rolling stock available on it can't take the full capacity from the Mexican and Canadian ports, nor can the customs facilities at the US border handle that additional traffic.

So they have most US-Asia commerce and those dependent on it by the balls.
Old October 5, 2002, 07:04   #30
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 22:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Well, everyone, over here in Hawaii....we're basically screwed.

Our whole lifestyle is based on shipping and this strike is screwing us over BIG TIME...I mean "bent over" screwed.

MtG, the steveadors over here (i.e, dockworkers) get paid more than the governor here--->$100,000+.

I'm a supporter of blue-collar workers, but when they get paid more than someone who has their bachelors degree, I should have a right to get pissed off.

Anyway, like I was saying, Hawaii is basically screwed by this strike and the national news aren't even covering the impact it's causing our state. I was watching World News 2nite (ABC) and they didn't even MENTION Hawaii in this strike...........Are we not a state of the Union???

You know what? This strike is FOS (fill it in w/your own nouns) and the politicians and newscasters can KMA.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis