Old October 4, 2002, 12:16   #1
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 02:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Term V Nomination Thread.
Go ahead an sign up folks!

Executives:
President:

Ninot (Independent)
WhiteBandit (Independent)
MrWhereItsAt (Anarchist(jk for us old timers))

Vice President:

Arnelos (DIA)

Ministers:

Military:

Aggie (Independant)

Economy:

Reddawg

Science:

Duddha (Hawk)
Thud (DIA)
ThePlagueRat (Independant)

Foreign Affairs:

Nimitz (DIA)
Togas (Independent)

City Planner:

E_T (??)
Zeit (Independent)
HistoryGuy (Hawk)

Public Works:

Ghenghis Farb (Independent)

Imperial Expansion:

Meshelic (Hawk)
Apocalypse (Independant)
Jonny (Independant)

Unofficial Positions:

UN Representative: (1BC board)

Apoclypse?

You have until the 12th to sign up.

UN Rep. It is not in the CoL, so it cannot be official. There is no reason you cannot do that job AND a Minister job if you want.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Last edited by UnOrthOdOx; October 10, 2002 at 16:03.
Old October 4, 2002, 13:13   #2
zeit
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 09:55
I want to run up to the CP post, and also the PW, can i do that (be nominated to two offices)?
Old October 4, 2002, 13:26   #3
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Judges?

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old October 4, 2002, 13:26   #4
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 00:55
I'm running again. I love this job and I'd love to continue to serve as the Foreign Minister.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old October 4, 2002, 13:38   #5
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 05:55
I support Togas.
I'm glad to see zeit running, too...
Shiber, AdaMada, Gepap, Arnelos... Hey, guys, you should run for something! Shiber, Togas is running for Foreign Minister, you could run for Economy, for instance...
Old October 4, 2002, 13:51   #6
jdjdjd
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 03:55
There is nothing in te CoL that says some one can not run for two positions, however, and I believe people have, in the oast run for two positions. Howver, I do not beleive one person can hold two positions, according to the CoL, so you may want to pick one (the one you have best chance of winning) and leave it at that.
Old October 4, 2002, 14:14   #7
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i DEFINATELY remember not being able to run for Foriegn Minister and SMC at the same time, but that was the DIA government telling me that.

oh well.
Old October 4, 2002, 14:17   #8
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

although the revolution hasn't happened yet

the city planner and PW mininster should be localized to provinces.

Old October 4, 2002, 14:18   #9
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 10:55
Aro, thanks for the compliment but I'm afraid RL is just too demanding. In January 2003 however I will be free from most of my commitments for a long period of time during which I intend to run.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old October 4, 2002, 14:20   #10
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

did we decide if the term limits apply for the whole game or only CONSECUTIVE terms?

Old October 4, 2002, 14:29   #11
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

consecutive only.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old October 4, 2002, 14:36   #12
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

I'm under the impression that TL only apply for one term uber. However I never saw anything formal about that.
Does this mean you are considering an SMC run. If you did that could lead to a fun election, though I don't know if I want to run against a legend. Then again why not. Though if one of us ran for something else we could have 2 people in the gov of a more military oriented mindset.
Aggie
Old October 4, 2002, 15:00   #13
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Thanks for the vote of confidence and, thankfully, my availability is different than Shriber's, but it still worries me a wee bit:

Running up to the U.S. elections on November 5, it's likely I'm going to become more busy than I am right now (as I'm pretty free at the moment).

After November 5, I'm likely to be VERY free immediately, though I'm planning to make a trip out to Arizona for at least a weekend, if not a full week, to visit the community I served as leader for the last 2 years or more of my college experience (*sniff*, *sniff*, found memories).

As for after that, well it doesn't really affect the upcoming term . I have some pretty good ideas of what my time situation might look like after that, but I have multiple options at that point - so I really don't know .

So that's my time situation... I haven't really thought about which offices are more or less appealing to me and I hadn't even seriously considered running until Aro suggested it (really, honest!). I'd be most worried about running for a position, getting it, and then finding I needed to take time off as we get closer to the first week of November. It's likely, because I'm just a worker, that I won't be so busy that I won't have time for this - but I really don't know for sure yet.

So I'll have to think about the various positions and get back to you on my thoughts...
Old October 4, 2002, 15:03   #14
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Aggie
I'm under the impression that TL only apply for one term uber. However I never saw anything formal about that.
Does this mean you are considering an SMC run. If you did that could lead to a fun election, though I don't know if I want to run against a legend. Then again why not. Though if one of us ran for something else we could have 2 people in the gov of a more military oriented mindset.
Aggie
you're a great SMC aggie, I wouldn't dare run against you

after your done however

it might be funny to have a City Planner who only builds military units
Old October 4, 2002, 15:07   #15
Nimitz
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG LegolandNever Ending StoriesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Foreign Minister For me

Well Togas I'm running against you again hehehe.
Old October 4, 2002, 16:00   #16
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Ok, sat down to think about it... here's my thoughts on each position (w/o having a clue which incumbents are running... obviously, I'm going to be *highly* affected by the presence of an incumbent in any race ):

In consideration...

Public Works - I'm sort of obsessive with my workers, as I have *never* trusted the AI in original Civ, Civ2, SMAC, or Civ3 to run my settlers/formers/workers on automatic (while that would save me time, I'm anal enough about my workers that I'm perfectly willing to spend my time on getting them to build what I want, where I want, in the order I want it built). In my own games, I generally build more settlers/formers/workers than most players (a good deal more, generally - I routinely hit the unit limit due to settlers in original civ ) and I don't mind micromanaging the dozens of them you get by the industrial and modern age . In huge map games, I actually spend the good *majority* of my time in the late game managing workers and I don't mind it (isn't that sick? ). So I think I can handle this one.

Imperial Expansion - I'm actually quite interested in this... I had a HUGE reputation among my buddies I played CivNet, Civ2mp, and SMAC with for building more cities/bases and being obsessive with settlers/colonists than any other player . If given enough room and time to expand peacefully, I generally whipped all their a**es due to my shear size . My personal "imperial expansion philosophy" (if I can call it that) is to attempt to cover as many tiles as reasonably possible (including sea tiles) - with a good degree of tolerance toward overlapping. I also tend to build more coastal cities than most players (if given two equal city sites, I'll always pick the coastal one). I tend toward high-trade over high-production, but I generally try to strike a balance on a per-city basis (rather than specializing and ending up with cities that have no production - cities which need production most for those improvements).

Vice-President - This might be a good office for me. I'm generally both available for the turnchats (Sunday afternoon is *perfect* for me, a few hours after I come home from Church) and generally even at them right now, even though I currently don't have a role in the government. This would also mean I could continue being something of a back-up for the President, rather than having the general responsiblity of having to be available for every turnchat (which may or may not be possible as we approach Nov 5).

Economy - I like what Reddawg has done with the position - he's great. I think I can do a similar job, but I really like Reddawg where he is now. I'll pull a Joseph Lieberman/Al Gore trick - I'll only consider running if Reddawg isn't on the ballot .

City Planner - I'm not as obvious for this position as with Public Works or Imperial Expansion. However, the best shot I'd have at this position is that my building strategy is pretty middle-of-the-road (I'm a pretty war-focused "builder"), so I'd be fully comfortable with trying to keep the military up-to-date while generally running an infrastructure upgrade. Keep in mind that if I were CP, I'd probably build more workers than the average CP (especially if I could exercise the idea of turning Uber Isle into a worker factory until we get Astronomy - an idea which was suggested as a way to keep Uber Isle under control w/o luxuries under Republic).

Not in consideration...

Foreign - Togas is too good - I WOULD, however, be interested in a sub-cabinet position here if I either don't run for something or I lose (though I understand I join a very large fan club in that regard ).

Military - Aggie rocks, what can I say?

President - two reasons: (1) shouldn't be my first office, (2) my time situation isn't rock solid.

Science - I've heard some voices here easily convince me of their arguments on tech priority strategies because we're at emperor level (or is it monarch?). Because I've never played on emperor, I'm unfamiliar with the tech priority strategies and thus likely not the best choice for this job.

---

I'm really sorry for the length of that post, but I'm trying to lay out my thoughts on each office, see what incumbents are running (since I *generally* want to avoid running against them because I think they're doing a pretty good job ), and get any advise I can on what people think I should run for (assuming I even *do* run). I honestly didn't even think about it until the past hour and a half, but now I'm thinking on it (as demonstrated above ).

Last edited by Arnelos; October 4, 2002 at 16:09.
Old October 4, 2002, 16:08   #17
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

One Comment.

As president, YOU set the times, and we work around your schedule (within reason). You would do fine at that position, first or not. I think President and VP, while somewhat easier than the Ministers in terms of actual work, are more pressure as everyone is watching your every move.

And go ahead and run against incumbents! Don't let them intimidate you.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old October 4, 2002, 16:12   #18
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Before I make any decisions, I'm gonna see what other people decide to do.

Here's what I do know:

I will not be running for the President -- won't have the time to be actually playing the game.

I will not be running for CP -- Don't have the time to compile the orders on a regular basis.

I'm not gonna run against Togas, though I might consider succeding him once his three terms are up and will probably serve under him assuming he wants me back and I don't take any other positions.

If anyone wants to peer pressure me into a job, they're welcome to try , but I'm most likely to base my decisions on which positions have a qualified canidate, which positions I can handle, and which positions I'm interested in.

UnOrthO,
You gonna run for the UN Rep? Or are you waiting on the decision as well?

-- adaMada
Old October 4, 2002, 16:12   #19
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

I would like to run for Public Works as I believe WhiteBandit was thinking about running for something else.

If elected my primary mission will be to "Clear and Road the Jungle" by establishing the Foreign National Machete Corps. Their procedure will be to:
1) Clear jungle tile
2) Road resultant grassland tile
3) Move to next jungle tile

And each major city will have at least 1 worker to upgrade its roaded tiles with mines or irrigation whichever it needs at that time.

By quickly clearing and roading the tiles it should generate more commerce for Gold and/or Beakers especially if we hit our Golden Age. This commerce will be mulitplied by Marketplaces and Libraries.

Jonny and/or Arnelos should end up running for IE.
Old October 4, 2002, 16:18   #20
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Arnelos, regarding Science minister, it's the least powerful government post at this time. It would be difficult to screw up in that position currently. We are now researching along the only path it's possible for us to beat the AI to techs at given all the wars we've had.

City Planner is the most powerful position. Without his support, the Military Commander gets no new troops, the Public Works gets no new native workers, the Science Minister can't reserach, and the Economy minister doesn't get an improved economy.
Old October 4, 2002, 16:21   #21
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by joncnunn
City Planner is the most powerful position. Without his support, the Military Commander gets no new troops, [b]the Public Works gets no new workers[b], the Science Minister can't reserach, and the Economy minister doesn't get an improved economy.
Wrongo, old boy! The PW gets the bulk of its workers from the SMC who so happily captures them. Oh, and Duddha who boots them out of captured cities and eats their babies.
Old October 4, 2002, 16:24   #22
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
I would like to run for Public Works as I believe WhiteBandit was thinking about running for something else.

If elected my primary mission will be to "Clear and Road the Jungle" by establishing the Foreign National Machete Corps. Their procedure will be to:
1) Clear jungle tile
2) Road resultant grassland tile
3) Move to next jungle tile

And each major city will have at least 1 worker to upgrade its roaded tiles with mines or irrigation whichever it needs at that time.

By quickly clearing and roading the tiles it should generate more commerce for Gold and/or Beakers especially if we hit our Golden Age. This commerce will be mulitplied by Marketplaces and Libraries.

Jonny and/or Arnelos should end up running for IE.
Sure it is. More like "improve my tiles in the $Mini Game"

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old October 4, 2002, 16:39   #23
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx

Sure it is. More like "improve my tiles in the $Mini Game"
Do you realize how many jungle tiles I own! And they show no eagerness to change! #%$^% jungle.

Vote for me! I HATE jungle! I'll obliterate it all!

I will eliminate the jungle with same ruthless efficiency I filled in the gaps and plastered Uber Isle with cities.
Old October 4, 2002, 16:43   #24
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

GhengisFarb, Native hard working Appolyn workers that is.

Yes, this latest term, the PW minister has been acquiring slaves courtesy of the SMC.
Old October 4, 2002, 16:44   #25
Reddawg
Prince

Already time to nominate? Gosh...
well...
I'll re-run for MoE!

which may become more important if Unortho's proposed ammendment is passed at some point!
Old October 4, 2002, 16:46   #26
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by joncnunn
GhengisFarb, Native hard working Appolyn workers that is.

Yes, this latest term, the PW minister has been acquiring slaves courtesy of the SMC.
HeHeHe In my games thats where ALL the workers come from. I wouldn't dream of MY citizens working outside in the heat and mud. That's foreigner work.
Old October 4, 2002, 16:53   #27
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Re: Term V Nomination Thread.
Quote:

City Planner:

zeit

Public Works:

zeit
honestly now, i don't think this is right. having him run for two posts?

heck, i might just run against him to make sure he doesnt win both
Old October 4, 2002, 16:58   #28
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Well, point me to where it says he CAN'T. It is the first day, I am sure things will change up before the polls start.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old October 4, 2002, 17:02   #29
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by adaMada
Before I make any decisions, I'm gonna see what other people decide to do.

Here's what I do know:

I will not be running for the President -- won't have the time to be actually playing the game.

I will not be running for CP -- Don't have the time to compile the orders on a regular basis.

I'm not gonna run against Togas, though I might consider succeding him once his three terms are up and will probably serve under him assuming he wants me back and I don't take any other positions.

If anyone wants to peer pressure me into a job, they're welcome to try , but I'm most likely to base my decisions on which positions have a qualified canidate, which positions I can handle, and which positions I'm interested in.

UnOrthO,
You gonna run for the UN Rep? Or are you waiting on the decision as well?

-- adaMada
adaMADA FOR VP!!!!

No, I am not running for anything. I think I will focus on the Gazette expansion project over the next term

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old October 4, 2002, 17:52   #30
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Well, point me to where it says he CAN'T. It is the first day, I am sure things will change up before the polls start.
well, there are holes in every stipulation, unfortunately

but if there isn't a law... then gosh darnit, im gonna subsitute myself for one.