Old October 4, 2002, 18:23   #31
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 03:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx

adaMADA FOR VP!!!!

No, I am not running for anything. I think I will focus on the Gazette expansion project over the next term
I came VERY close to putting VP on the no-run list too, but I thought I'd see who's running for Pres. first -- I'd have a really hard time playing the game, but if it's someone who anticipates being able to play the game by themselves, them I might consider it.

UnOrthO, what about the directory? Want to PM about it a bit? Does it go into the hands of the next VP (assuming that I was standing in for Apoc), back to you? Do I keep doing it for another term? What are your thoughts...

-- adaMada
Old October 4, 2002, 19:14   #32
Duddha
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 00:55
I'll sign up for minister of science.
Old October 4, 2002, 20:35   #33
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

hmmm... seems to be my best options are Public Works (especially since I already have a platform upon which to oppose GF ) and Imperial Expansion (since GF, the incumbent, isn't running )...
Old October 4, 2002, 20:38   #34
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 02:55
Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos
hmmm... seems to be my best options are Public Works (especially since I already have a platform upon which to oppose GF )
You mean you ACTUALLY want to keep the jungle? What drugs are you on again?
Old October 4, 2002, 20:42   #35
zeit
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 09:55
Hey guys, i'm sorry if there seems to be a problem with me running to both posts. So, whoever is registering all the nomination (UnOrthOdOx?) just erase my name from the PW nomination, i'll stick with the CP for this round.
Old October 4, 2002, 20:56   #36
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 08:55
bhah I wanted to start this thread.

Only so that I could put people down for things they hadn't agreed to run for.

UnOr in a few days if there is no one down for certain positions I'll tell you who we nominate.
Old October 4, 2002, 21:05   #37
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb

You mean you ACTUALLY want to keep the jungle? What drugs are you on again?
I just wrote something of an argument to answer that question. I *was* going to post it, but I just decided (just in case I do run) that it would be better to develop arguments now and share them during the actual campaign .

My political instinct just tells me you're overly zelous, that's all When looking for which office to run for - something I've done before in my life - surveying for potential vulnerabilities in the competition is part of the game . It's not setting the goal of getting rid of the jungle I disagree with you on, it's how you've chosen to prioritize it (at least for now). Of course, your ideas will change as you get closer to the election and I might drop even thinking about running against you for the simple reason that you may become too strong of a candidate .

But when you're the poor man looking in rather than the rich man looking out, you check out every potential weakness in the walls of the fortress as you can .

Your suggestion of me running for Imperial Expansion is also a possibility, so we'll see. And if I don't run against you for Public Works, I'll certainly do my hardest to convince you of my point of view so the person who is running perhaps agrees with me by the time they take office .
Old October 4, 2002, 21:07   #38
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Ok, I here by announce that I will run once again for SMC.
Aggie
Old October 4, 2002, 21:12   #39
Arnelos
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by OPD
bhah I wanted to start this thread.

Only so that I could put people down for things they hadn't agreed to run for.

UnOr in a few days if there is no one down for certain positions I'll tell you who we nominate.
The most critical information of all is that everyone needs to know which incumbents are running for re-election. It would be nice if all of the incumbents would comment on whether they are running for re-election of their currently held posts...

THEN give everyone a few days to decide what they're running for upon having a much better idea of the field .
Old October 4, 2002, 21:24   #40
Reddawg
Prince

Aggie you're a shoo-in, so much so that you'd be elected even if you didn't announce you were running, lol. No one wants to get rid of a winning SMC.
Old October 4, 2002, 21:28   #41
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
My political instinct just tells me you're overly zelous, that's all When looking for which office to run for - something I've done before in my life - surveying for potential vulnerabilities in the competition is part of the game .
I chose to run for PW because WhiteBandit hinted he wasn't going to run for it this term and it was one of the areas I feel is important right now, especially as many are considering a GA and that would generate extra benefits from developed tiles.

I chose to run for Ministry of Imperial Expansion last term because there were going to be a huge amount of sites needing to be chosen and I felt it was an important position. This term there will not be near as many cities needing to be built.

Now, as to your opinion that I am "overzealous" and incapable of doing the job. Well, you are entitled to your opinion and you are certainly welcome to run against me. It has nothing to do with my thinking WhiteBandit is weak, I simply believe he is tired of the position and wants to run for something else and I want to be doing something beneficial to the game as a whole. Aggie is doing a far better job at SMC than I could and there is no way in heck that I want to have to right down every tile utilized and compute what at which turn production will be changed for every city in our Empire (so that takes CP out).

So, since you have expressed the opinion that you feel I am an utter moron and incapable of doing the job of PW or even completing any intelligible thought I will not count on your vote in this election.
Old October 4, 2002, 21:38   #42
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Reddawg
Aggie you're a shoo-in, so much so that you'd be elected even if you didn't announce you were running, lol. No one wants to get rid of a winning SMC.
except the DIA... or was that before your time?

Old October 4, 2002, 21:41   #43
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
except the DIA... or was that before your time?

I'm getting excited now. It can't just be a coincidence that UK resurfaces around election time.

Also UnOr put UnOrthOdOx down for VP.
Old October 4, 2002, 21:44   #44
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by OPD

I'm getting excited now. It can't just be a coincidence that UK resurfaces around election time.

Also UnOr put UnOrthOdOx down for VP.
Yes, and put OPD down for every office.
Old October 4, 2002, 21:49   #45
Arnelos
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Reddawg
[roleplay]

Indeed, the only problem with Aggie is that we have to watch him closely to make sure he doesn't try to become Apolytonia's version of Catiline or Caesar or Napoleon. I pray that Aggie is more the Cinncinatus than the Caesar...

Though he is well-loved, this is precisely why he will be watched closely...

[/roleplay]

Go Aggie for SMC!
Old October 4, 2002, 21:54   #46
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 20:55
/me is very glad we have another week to think about this...

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old October 4, 2002, 22:00   #47
Arnelos
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb

I chose to run for PW because WhiteBandit hinted he wasn't going to run for it this term and it was one of the areas I feel is important right now, especially as many are considering a GA and that would generate extra benefits from developed tiles.

I chose to run for Ministry of Imperial Expansion last term because there were going to be a huge amount of sites needing to be chosen and I felt it was an important position. This term there will not be near as many cities needing to be built.

Now, as to your opinion that I am "overzealous" and incapable of doing the job. Well, you are entitled to your opinion and you are certainly welcome to run against me. It has nothing to do with my thinking WhiteBandit is weak, I simply believe he is tired of the position and wants to run for something else and I want to be doing something beneficial to the game as a whole. Aggie is doing a far better job at SMC than I could and there is no way in heck that I want to have to right down every tile utilized and compute what at which turn production will be changed for every city in our Empire (so that takes CP out).

So, since you have expressed the opinion that you feel I am an utter moron and incapable of doing the job of PW or even completing any intelligible thought I will not count on your vote in this election.
Now now now... I have suggested nothing of the sort. You are not a "moron" and I have not suggested that you are - in fact, to so quickly accuse me of doing so is quite an overreaction. Rather, as I stated, you are quite likely to be a formidable candidate for the office and I specifically stated that it was quite possible I'd have to determine you were far too formidable for me to hope to run against.

That stated, it must be kept in mind that staking out an opinion on any area of policy automatically makes you vulnerable to criticism of that opinion. This says nothing about your competence or intelligence, mearly that stating your opinion opens the possibility that others may not fully agree with it and that lack of full agreement may lead to political opposition. For instance, it is my opinion that neither the "left" nor the "right" in RL politics is particularly "wrong" or "right", but rather that they propose two different strategies (or variations on the same strategy) which different people find more conducive than others.

So, in short, any insinuation that I am assaulting your character is wholly out of place here - to assert that I have so quickly is quite rash. I honestly think you're a fabulous player. That being said, in any political contest, competitors will seek weakness in their opponents where-ever they can find it. The odd thing about this process is that your strengths can become weaknesses, but your weaknesses can also be strengths....

So I have great respect for you, which is precisely why I believe it would be difficult to build the case I'd need to run. That said, your comment caught my eye because it created the potential for a political opposition to your zealousness (though it also creates potential for a strong following - which is my point here ).

I hope I've made myself clear...

Last edited by Arnelos; October 4, 2002 at 22:06.
Old October 4, 2002, 22:04   #48
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
For instance, it is my opinion that neither the "left" nor the "right" in RL politics is particularly "wrong" or "right", but rather that they propose two different strategies (or variations on the same strategy) which different people find more conducive than others.
It is my opinion that the "Left" and the "Right" are often times far more concerned with being "Left" or "Right" than being right or wrong.

Ewww, that's good, that's probably something from one of those quotation books or something.
Old October 4, 2002, 22:07   #49
Arnelos
Emperor

I edited that last post slightly.
Old October 4, 2002, 22:10   #50
Arnelos
Emperor

Here's a quote to think on (one the warmongers would do well to consider more often, btw... ):

"The side that knows when to fight and when not will take the victory. There are roadways not to be traveled, armies not to be attacked, walled cities not to be assaulted."
- Sun Tzu, The Art of War

(indeed, a line I'm contemplating myself )
Old October 4, 2002, 22:11   #51
OPD
King

I love election time.

OPD looks at MWIA

MWIA looks at OPD

OPD shakes his head
Old October 4, 2002, 22:13   #52
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by OPD
I love election time.

OPD looks at MWIA

MWIA looks at OPD

OPD shakes his head
Are you running for President again or what?

I thought WhiteBandit said he was going to run for VP.
Old October 4, 2002, 22:19   #53
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

I'll run for IE for some odd reason I don't become mod and no one else want the position.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old October 4, 2002, 22:22   #54
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Thank you all for the kind words and let me assure you that the knights entering apolyton are there "just in case of trouble". By the way this election season looks like it is has potential for some great races.
Aggie
Old October 4, 2002, 22:25   #55
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Aggie
Thank you all for the kind words and let me assure you that the knights entering apolyton are there "just in case of trouble".
Aggie
You've got my full support as SMC -- he's done a great job this term and last, and I hope he'll continue into the future.

Apoc, are you sure you're not gonna be mod? Markos hasn't replied on the issue at all AFAIK, and maybe someone should PM him to make sure he hasn't forgotten about us? Also, if he wants it elected, we might as well make it part of these elections (I'd propose it being under the same terms that the Ambassador is, since it's also not specified in the CoL and seems to make the most sense there).

-- adaMada
Old October 4, 2002, 22:30   #56
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

I'm just say if I don't become mod. It might be a very real possibility. Maybe someone should pm Markos about this anyway. I'd do it but it'd cramp my style.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old October 4, 2002, 22:31   #57
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by adaMada

You've got my full support as SMC -- he's done a great job this term and last, and I hope he'll continue into the future.

Apoc, are you sure you're not gonna be mod? Markos hasn't replied on the issue at all AFAIK, and maybe someone should PM him to make sure he hasn't forgotten about us? Also, if he wants it elected, we might as well make it part of these elections (I'd propose it being under the same terms that the Ambassador is, since it's also not specified in the CoL and seems to make the most sense there).

-- adaMada
are we so sure MarkG will be happy about his mod potentially being changed monthly?
Old October 4, 2002, 22:34   #58
Apocalypse
Emperor

I wouldn't assume what Markos wants. That is what got him upset with me a few weeks ago.
Old October 4, 2002, 22:40   #59
Arnelos
Emperor

Ninot and Apoc both have good points there...

I humbly suggest that perhaps we should leave open (for now) how long the period is for mod's tenure and ask for counsel from the face of g0d known as "MarkG" on this matter of how to best remain in his good graces on this matter.
Old October 4, 2002, 22:44   #60
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Quote:
Here's a quote to think on (one the warmongers would do well to consider more often, btw... ):

"The side that knows when to fight and when not will take the victory. There are roadways not to be traveled, armies not to be attacked, walled cities not to be assaulted."
- Sun Tzu, The Art of War

(indeed, a line I'm contemplating myself )
I see it is time for the Monthly quotation of chinese philosophy. So, to quote the man whom Sun Tzu use as a reference:

"The truth is not always beautiful,
nor beautiful words the truth. " -Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby