Old October 4, 2002, 12:39   #1
Alexoin
Settler

Local Time: 08:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Fast Units no longer retreating at low health
Im attacking a fortified spearman unit with Knight. The thing is the Knight will fight to death (not retreat at 1 hp) thus making it a very expansive attempt to capture a city

is it a bug with 1.29f, or have I mishit an option when creating my mod that has disabled the retreat for the Knights...
Old October 4, 2002, 12:46   #2
Demerzel
Warlord

In the last patch, fast moving units don't always get to retreat. I believe there is a random number chance that dictates whether they are unable to retreat from battle.

IIRC, it was to prevent fast moving units from always escaping battle and making a player/AI with all fast moving units versus an enemy with all slow units from having too much of an advantage.
Old October 4, 2002, 13:42   #3
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 00:55
Re: Fast Units no longer retreating at low health
Quote:
Originally posted by Alexoin
Im attacking a fortified spearman unit with Knight. The thing is the Knight will fight to death (not retreat at 1 hp) thus making it a very expansive attempt to capture a city
If the knight gets down to one hit it will ATTEMPT to retreat. There is a 50% chance of retreat. The other 50% it fails to break off and must continue. PLUS if the spearman gets down to one hit there is no retreat check. The last was always the case. The 50% retreat test was added in one of the early patches long before 1.29f because the fast units were doing so well it was unbalancing the game.
Old October 4, 2002, 14:16   #4
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 01:55
Fast units' probability of retreat varies with experience level. This began with version 1.17.
Regular Unit: 50%
Veteran: 58%
Elite: 66 (or 67)%
Conscript: 43% (?)
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old October 4, 2002, 16:12   #5
Ethelred
King

I see that was changed now. I just checked the readme. A retreat bonus was added to the editor in 1.21f according to the changes log.

I checked the editor you were close.

Conscript: 34%
Regular Unit: 50%
Veteran: 58%
Elite: 66 %

Which makes elites even more usefull than I thought.
Old October 5, 2002, 07:08   #6
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 10:55
What happens when for example, you atack with an elite that doesn't have full hp?? Le'ts say 3/5.
Is it then considered an Elite, or a regular with regard to retreat bonus percentages??
Old October 5, 2002, 11:13   #7
Alexoin
Settler

oh well did vaguely remember seeing something about retreating in one of the patch files. Anyone know if it is affected by difficulty level aswell as troop rank?

Ahh dammit just found cause the mod was originally designed before 1.21 patch and transferred through my retreat bonuses are set to 0/0/0 and oh 0
Old October 5, 2002, 12:14   #8
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 03:55

Tough break... I bet your knights were wondering why you wouldn't let the run away.
Old October 5, 2002, 15:09   #9
Ethelred
King

Quote:
Originally posted by alva848
What happens when for example, you atack with an elite that doesn't have full hp?? Le'ts say 3/5.
Is it then considered an Elite, or a regular with regard to retreat bonus percentages??
They are still marked as elite in the info box. The editor's retreat setting is for the experience level not the hit points. So hits remaining won't matter. Even in a mod with double hit points an elite unit is still elite no matter how hits it has.