Old October 4, 2002, 16:05   #1
Vesayen
King

Local Time: 04:56
Local Date: November 1, 2010
What is the most amazing military victory in the history of the world?
Im thinking the Greek-Persian war.....every battle in it was 40:1 Persians to Greeks, with a massive Greek victory, anyone have a better one?
Old October 4, 2002, 16:13   #2
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 01:56
You want single battles or for entire wars?
Old October 4, 2002, 16:22   #3
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

In terms of a whole war or campaign, I think you could argue for the Greeks vs. Persians or the Macedonians vs. Persians. Keep in mind, though, that the sources for the numbers of troops involved in those battles are pretty much all Greek, and therefore probably overstate (perhaps by a LOT) the numerical disadvantage of the Greeks. No doubt they whipped a bigger and supposedly more powerful enemy, though.

You could probably also argue for the Mongols. They gobbled up a lot of territory, and everyone that fought them feared them.

For battles there are a lot of contenders.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old October 4, 2002, 16:22   #4
Vesayen
King

Either....every battle in the Greek-Persian war was amazing, so I clumped them together.
Old October 4, 2002, 16:28   #5
Felch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Every battle in the Greek-Persian war was documented by the Greeks. See any post by paiktis if you want to know why that's not a reliable source.

I'd say the battle of Cannae.
Old October 4, 2002, 16:30   #6
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Well, does a battle like Thermopolye count? It was technically a Greek defeat, because the 300 Spartans were eventually betrayed and wiped out, but anytime 300 guys hold off an army of many thousands for days and beat back repeated attacks by the enemy's crack troops, it's impressive.

Marathon was an actual victory for Athens, so perhaps that's a better example.

I'm sure there are some good examples involving the Romans, too, but I'm having trouble thinking of them.

Personally, though, I am always amazed that Alexander the Great (having already conquered a huge empire) marched all the way to India - and would probably have kept going if not for what was essentially a mutiny. The man was nothing if not ambitious. Oh, and he had some pretty good soldiers, too

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old October 4, 2002, 16:51   #7
Aeson
Emperor

Local Time: 02:56
I was playing Delta Force 2 the other day... (lots of stuff about how badly I suck at that game, game settings)... In a complete suicide run I made it into the compound, dropped some satchels next to the last 2 remaining buildings, and blew them (and myself) up with only 4 seconds remaining...
Old October 4, 2002, 16:52   #8
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 09:56
Quote:
Well, does a battle like Thermopolye count? It was technically a Greek defeat, because the 300 Spartans were eventually betrayed and wiped out, but anytime 300 guys hold off an army of many thousands for days and beat back repeated attacks by the enemy's crack troops, it's impressive.
Same goes for the Siege of Constantinopel
Old October 4, 2002, 16:55   #9
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 00:56
Roarks Drift was pretty amazing. 4000 impi to 100 Brits. Even with a technology advantage the British achievment was impressive considering the way things happened at Isandalwana just a short while before with 30,000 impi easily beating about 1,000 Brits which shows the tech advantage was not as overwheming as Roarks Drift might imply.
Old October 4, 2002, 16:56   #10
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Agincourt

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 4, 2002, 16:58   #11
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Battle of France was pretty impressive. If not for that event the French would not be seen as yellow.
Old October 4, 2002, 17:02   #12
Faeelin
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:56
Quote:
Originally posted by Ethelred
Roarks Drift was pretty amazing. 4000 impi to 100 Brits. Even with a technology advantage the British achievment was impressive considering the way things happened at Isandalwana just a short while before with 30,000 impi easily beating about 1,000 Brits which shows the tech advantage was not as overwheming as Roarks Drift might imply.
You do realize that 1 in 8 of the impis at isandalwana DIED, dont' you?

And that the Bits lost at insandalwana for using tactics which were almost necer used by the British army...

For best campaigners: I'd vote the Mongols.

Best Battle: Cannae. Thousands of lightly armored mercenaries from various countries defeat the Roman legions, who OUTNUMBER them.

Unfortunately, the romans proceeded to raise several more legions, and throughout the war never used more than a quarter (worst estimate; best states a tenth) of potential manpower reserves.
Old October 4, 2002, 17:12   #13
Ethelred
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
There were more than 300 troops. Thats just the Spartans that stayed with Leonidas after the Persians got behind them. It ignores others that stayed and it ignores those that fought the previous days but retreated when they knew the Persians were coming through the pass.

This site gives the Greek forces as 10,000

http://www-adm.pdx.edu/user/sinq/gre...r2/thermop.htm

This page mentions others that stayed behind. For some reason the Thespians and Thebans get ignored.

http://history.boisestate.edu/westciv/persian/18.htm

This site give 7,000 to 8,000 for the Greeks and only mentions the Thebans as staying.

http://www.greyhawkes.com/blacksword...hermopylae.htm
Old October 4, 2002, 17:14   #14
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Local Time: 03:56
Thermopylae wasn't THAT amazing.... Thermoplyae was a really small chokepoint which did alot to nullyify the Numerical advantage of the Persian army. Then consider the far superior equippment and training of the Spartans and it isn't too suprising they won.

"
Same goes for the Siege of Constantinopel"

Down downplay Mehmet's accomplishment. Constantinople was the greatest defensive fortress in the entire world and had beat back countless attacks against it. In the Hundreds of years since all the fortifications, the city was only taken once(by the Crusaders) and IIRC that was by sea. Credit Mehmet with good skill in applying the newest military technology available to crack the awesome fortress that was Constantinople.

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old October 4, 2002, 17:19   #15
Provost Harrison
Deity

Well I still stick by Agincourt, perhaps a few hundred English killed to many, many thousands of French soldiers killed...and plus...it was the French

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 4, 2002, 17:22   #16
Ethelred
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Faeelin

You do realize that 1 in 8 of the impis at isandalwana DIED, dont' you?
They won and the Brits lost almost every single man. Yet at Roarks Drift with about the same ratio of attackers to defenders the Brits won.

Quote:
And that the Bits lost at insandalwana for using tactics which were almost necer used by the British army...
They pretty much didn't have time for tactics of any kind. They were overrun before they could do much. The whole thing was a botch but the Brits still had the same guns there as at Roarks Drift and Zulus had the same weapons.

Canae was pretty impressive though. There were Roman survivors even though the descriptions of the battle that I have seen gave the impression that there weren't any. Supposedly Scipio had 10,000 veterans of Canae when he took Carthage. Maybe I have that all garbled. Its been a while since I have read anything on that.
Old October 4, 2002, 17:30   #17
Arrian
Deity

Provost,

Yeah, Agincourt was impressive, but there has to be a discount because of the opponent.

-Arrian

Old October 4, 2002, 17:31   #18
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 10:56
Oh, without doubt Finnish victory over Soviets in Winter War at the battle of Suomussalmi. Info here.
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old October 4, 2002, 17:33   #19
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Stefu
Oh, without doubt Finnish victory over Soviets in Winter War at the battle of Suomussalmi.
Made possible by your alliance with the Nazis.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old October 4, 2002, 17:36   #20
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
Made possible by your alliance with the Nazis.
That is incorrect. During that time Russia and Germany were allies in their conquest of Poland.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old October 4, 2002, 17:37   #21
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Come oooooon, Doc. You're not even trying there.

I mean, whatever is one's opinion about Finland's co-belligerency with Germany in 1941-1944, Germany's role in Winter War (1939-1940) was limited to stopping Italian weapon shipments for Finland.
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old October 4, 2002, 17:38   #22
DinoDoc
Deity

My mistake.
Old October 4, 2002, 17:44   #23
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

I could be mistaken, but I could have sworn that Germany sent a few "volunteer" units to help out those plucky Finns.

BTW, my vote goes to Agincourt.
Old October 4, 2002, 17:48   #24
Sten Sture
Emperor

I've always been partial to the Battle of Yorktown, though the Brits did make quite a habit out of getting their colonial outposts overthrown.
Old October 4, 2002, 17:51   #25
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
I could be mistaken, but I could have sworn that Germany sent a few "volunteer" units to help out those plucky Finns.
That was Sweden. Germans didn't do squat in Winter War - well, except for stopping the aforementioned weapon shipments.

Why would have they risked getting to war with SU at this point, when Op. Barbarossa wasn't scheluded to start yet?
Old October 4, 2002, 17:57   #26
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Under the guise of a small number of volunteer units, Germany could have gotten away with it quite easily. Soviet Union at this point, definitely wanted a war with Germany a lot less than Germany wanted a war with them.

That said, even if they did send a small number of volunteers, it probably wouldn't tip the scales much in any event. The Plucky Finns still kicked a lot of ass.
Old October 4, 2002, 18:06   #27
DinoDoc
Deity

While we are talking about Finland, why were they the only honest European nation when it came to paying off thier war debts to the US?
Old October 4, 2002, 18:18   #28
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Obviously, you mean of those that actually had war debts. So why do you phrase it as if to tarnish all Europeans with the same brush.
Old October 4, 2002, 18:33   #29
Thue
Freeciv Developer

Quote:
Originally posted by Felch X
Every battle in the Greek-Persian war was documented by the Greeks. See any post by paiktis if you want to know why that's not a reliable source.
Good point .
Old October 4, 2002, 18:36   #30
Provost Harrison
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by monkspider
Strictly 'off the record' of course