Old October 7, 2002, 10:45   #31
Lunacy
Settler

Local Time: 08:56
Local Date: November 1, 2010
55 leaders?!?!?! I'm happy when I get three in one game.

As to naming them - I always name my first one Mortimer. Gotta be embarassing for those opposing Civs to get pummeled by someone named Mortimer

Lunacy
Old October 7, 2002, 12:00   #32
Bella Hella
Prince

Local Time: 03:56
i give them extremely stupid names such as "mr. horseyman guy" and "dingleberry." it's pretty random.
Old October 7, 2002, 13:24   #33
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:56
Yeah, on std monarch or better 4-8 is my norm. I have had 55 and 26, 55 on huge, 26 on std Emp game. The 55 was 6000 years of war mostly with the whole world, a very strange game. Two units made leaders and upgraded and made another leader.
Old October 7, 2002, 17:16   #34
Athitis
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by star mouse
55 leaders in one game? *jaw hits floor* I don't think I've gotten 55 leaders total in all games I have played....
I always thank God when I get a leader. Everything else comes easily after the first leader.
Old October 7, 2002, 17:36   #35
Kiev
Settler

Manifest Destiny
President's Will
People's Army
Guard

And, of course, if unit in question is a knight... Who Say Ni.
Old October 8, 2002, 15:52   #36
mattcj
Chieftain

My latest was "Big ****"
Old October 9, 2002, 06:17   #37
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 19:56
My first two leader units ina recent game were named "Oak Elite Immortals" and "Elm Elite Immortals", because I was playing a horticultural theme and I decided to name my leader units after trees. (My cities were named after flowers)
Old October 9, 2002, 06:25   #38
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 10:56
Quote:
Originally posted by mattcj
My latest was "Big ****"
Big ... ahhh ... Male ?
--Woody Allen
Old October 9, 2002, 07:48   #39
The Pioneer
Prince

Local Time: 09:56
I use names from Ancient Greek history/mythology and some names from people on this board!

So long...
Old October 9, 2002, 08:10   #40
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Pioneer
I use names from Ancient Greek history/mythology and some names from people on this board!
When you use Theseus, is he the fierce mythology heroe or the fierce warmongerer from this board ?
--Woody Allen
Old October 9, 2002, 08:54   #41
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

I had a ball with naming unit designs in SMAC and look forward to naming in PTW.

I go for historical names.
Tanks exampls are

2nd Panzer IV King Tiger Mrk 1
11th Panzer V Panther Mrk 3

Footsoldiers get names like

Sturmabteilung Pheonix or Praetorian Gaurd

Naming entire Army groups would be cool. I've watched enough discovery channel to have armies called

Army Group North
Army Group South
Army Group Center

and the ever popular

Army Group Operation "Beat the hell outta Ceaser"
Army Group Saves Last Bullet For Themselves
Old October 9, 2002, 18:59   #42
Explorer579
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:56
I find that elite units that win, create a leader and are named, lose much of their fighting power later on. I lost many of these named leader-generating units when engaged in combat with equal units of less experience. Are civilization designers trying to simulate the effect of laziness and fame on performance or is it my immagination?!
Old October 9, 2002, 19:19   #43
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 01:56
Quote:
Originally posted by Explorer579
I find that elite units that win, create a leader and are named, lose much of their fighting power later on. I lost many of these named leader-generating units when engaged in combat with equal units of less experience. Are civilization designers trying to simulate the effect of laziness and fame on performance or is it my immagination?!
Your imagination.
More likely, you are putting them more in harm's way since you value them less. Using that extra hit point to take out something that perhaps could involve an army, or a couple of vets (if you wanted to avoid losing your "precious" *Elite). I have noticed the same phenomenon in my games.

If you are truly pitting them against comparable units of less experience, then I would DEFINITELY insist my hypothesis is correct! You can be assured that you will occasionally lose when you are employing less than 3/1 odds.

"3/1 odds? TEN-to-one is what you are supposed to use." (Includes the use of bombardment, etc.)
Old October 9, 2002, 21:27   #44
vmxa1
Deity

Yes I can attest that I do not see the leader generating unit do poorly, they seem to do quite well, but I may put them in harms way more often. In fact I have had many of them upgrade and make yet another leader. I often use elite calv that way, since they are dead ended soon. I send them in to fight as a softening up tactic.
Old October 10, 2002, 08:14   #45
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

I try to put dead-end *elite units (*swordsmen & *Cavalry, for instance) into armies. That way I don't have to waste potential leader-generating units on the army. I usually don't have all that many * units lying around, so the army is usually 1 * unit and 2 vets.

It's funny how we remember combat quirks. My own personal one is that my elite units (prior to generating a leader) are complacent bastards who don't wanna fight. They are constantly getting run off or killed, it seems. Of course that isn't actually the case, but because I want to get GLs sooooo bad, every elite defeat (particularly the loss of an elite unit) is painful.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old October 10, 2002, 09:45   #46
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

It's the same when you don't really need any GL's anymore, suddenly they seem to come from everywhere .

As they do in my current game, Got only 1 in 3500years of fighting (and coul'd have used a few more),now I'm allmost ready to start using them to rush temples.
Old October 10, 2002, 12:13   #47
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

But who here uses GLs to build armies once they have the possibility of building them in a city? And probably due to my playing style, I usually don't go all out warfare until I can build leaders (I think due to my love of cossacks). I tend to save up my leaders for wonders, because I'm a wonder whore. You might as well use GLs generated in the field to rush build a GL.... er... or something....
Old October 10, 2002, 12:52   #48
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

capone,

Well, I do sometimes. I just finished a game as the Aztecs in which I lost count of the leaders I got.

Let's see...

Great Library (I think... might've built this one), Palace move, Sistine, Leo's, Bach, Army, Copernicus, Smith, Magellan, Newton, Army, ToE. So that would be 12.

I think the only wonders I actually built were the Colossus, Great Lighthouse, HG, Sun Tzu and Hoover. I captured the Pyramids, GW and the Oracle. Did I miss any?

As you can see, I used a leader on a second army relatively late in the game (I was actually building the Academy at the time). Why? Because there was no wonder available for rushing, and my 1st army was made up of knights. I had a ton of Cavalry, and wanted a Cav army. I could have waited, but whatever.

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old October 10, 2002, 13:04   #49
aahz_capone
Prince

Aaaaah... It's nice to get to know a fellow wonder slut....

Wonder Whores of the world! UNITE!!!
Old October 10, 2002, 14:10   #50
vmxa1
Deity

I have a few times made an army in the MA city. I wanted to make the pentagon and needed another army to do it. This let me get the fourth unit into the armies.
Old October 11, 2002, 07:22   #51
Prince
Chieftain

(heroic name) of (event)

My latest Rider that created a GL when attacking the Roman city of Antioch was called 'Misu of Antioch'

BTW, do you freak out like me when your hero gets kicked around the map?
Old October 11, 2002, 07:44   #52
zeh
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 05:56
I do something like "Leader name" + "Unit name", but only when I'm fast enough to read the leader name when he are generated.

Quote:
BTW, do you freak out like me when your hero gets kicked around the map?
I try to move him city by city until it arrive in some place I want to build a wonder or army, or I calculate the moviment to the leader be able stay scorted when my turn ends.
But yes, it's terrible when some enemy units aproach the leader position. I just see and pray...
Old October 11, 2002, 09:30   #53
Prince
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by zeh
I try to move him city by city until it arrive in some place I want to build a wonder or army, or I calculate the moviment to the leader be able stay scorted when my turn ends.
But yes, it's terrible when some enemy units aproach the leader position. I just see and pray...
Well, yes, that's terrible too, but I meant the unit that creates the hero, the one you get to name. I don't like him to die either, dunno why
Old October 11, 2002, 11:14   #54
problem_child
Warlord

Hadrians 101st Red Horse Brigade (cavalry)

-I.