View Poll Results: Best PTW UU based on current information?
Conquistador* (5/3/3) Calvary 5 7.69%
Keshik (4/2/2) Knights(cheaper then knight) 5 7.69%
Berserk* (6/2/1) Longbowman(cost 70) 18 27.69%
Gallic Swordsman (3/2/2) Swordsman 11 16.92%
Numidian Mercenary (2/3/1) Spearman 4 6.15%
Sipahi (7/3/3) Cavalry 10 15.38%
Ansar Warrior (4/2/3) Knight 2 3.08%
Hwacha (12/1/1) Cannon 2 3.08%
The banana! 8 12.31%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 9, 2002, 05:55   #31
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 10:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Zero-Tau
I think the Ansar Warrior seems pretty powerful, having 3 movement almost a full age before any other unit. I think it'll be nice for some quick sneak attacks.
The Chinese Rider has 4-3-3, so I don't see why would be the Ansar so great.
--Woody Allen
Old October 9, 2002, 08:36   #32
Gangerolf
Prince

Local Time: 09:57
magic mushroom munching beserkers.

the amphibious trait will be great for invasions
Old October 9, 2002, 13:10   #33
Zero-Tau
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiberius

The Chinese Rider has 4-3-3, so I don't see why would be the Ansar so great.
Doh! Forgot about that one.

Any way to change your vote?
Old October 9, 2002, 13:33   #34
kolpo
Prince

Local Time: 08:57
Quote:

Doh! Forgot about that one.

Any way to change your vote?
I hope and think that the Ansar will be a little bit cheaper then the rider to balance that.
Old October 11, 2002, 14:49   #35
Iron Chancellor
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Prince

Local Time: 03:57
Beware the Gauls and an early game blitzkrieg of Swordsmen! Woe to the neighbors of the Gauls!

BTW, will Gauls be considered "Europeans" or "Mediterranean" culturally? If Europeans, then I can see the French and posssibly English wiped out swiftly. If Mediterranean, then Egypt is doomed to swift death.
Old October 13, 2002, 05:03   #36
Zero-Tau
Chieftain

Wait a second... I just realized something. If the Conquistador has 3 movement and "treat all terrain as roads" then it'll be able to move nine squares every turn, even in enemy territory. That's going to be amazingly hard to defend against.
Old October 13, 2002, 08:57   #37
statusperfect
King

Quote:
Wait a second... I just realized something. If the Conquistador has 3 movement and "treat all terrain as roads" then it'll be able to move nine squares every turn, even in enemy territory. That's going to be amazingly hard to defend against.
Yupp. After declaring war with spain you won't have a worker left
Old October 13, 2002, 15:50   #38
Zero-Tau
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by statusperfect

Yupp. After declaring war with spain you won't have a worker left
OUCH! OUCH! OUCH!

This sounds like THE best UU, hands down! I mean, no other unit can move even half as fast during war, except explorer, which can only be used for limited pillaging anyway. Worse yet, it'll be literally impossible to see an invasion coming - Conqustadors can move from outside your visible area and all the way to your border cities in the same turn. At least they're a bit weaker then cavalry to balance this out, but if you get Military Tradition a couple turns before your neighbor... he'll pretty much be toast.

I want to change my vote, dammit!
Old October 14, 2002, 03:54   #39
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
I doubt very much that Conquistadors will treat all terrain as roads in enemy territoty. However, moving 9 tiles a turn without roads, is insane. You won't need any roads inside your borders
--Woody Allen
Old October 14, 2002, 06:03   #40
Zero-Tau
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiberius

I doubt very much that Conquistadors will treat all terrain as roads in enemy territoty.
Well, to the best of my knowledge, Explorers currently treat all terrain as roads, even in enemy territory, and it looks like the Conquistador is getting the same ability as the Explorer... but maybe Firaxis will change the ability.

Can anyone from Firaxis confirm/deny this?
Old October 14, 2002, 06:59   #41
Tiberius
Emperor

Quote:
Well, to the best of my knowledge, Explorers currently treat all terrain as roads, even in enemy territory, and it looks like the Conquistador is getting the same ability as the Explorer... but maybe Firaxis will change the ability.

Can anyone from Firaxis confirm/deny this?
True, I forgot this. I've heard that the Conquistador is an upgrade to the explorers, so indeed, this might be true. Hmm, in this case I hope I will be able to stack my workers with military units when playing near spaniards
--Woody Allen
Old October 15, 2002, 19:00   #42
Random Passerby
Warlord

Local Time: 08:57
Bombardment ROF simply acts as extra attacks. With B/R/F of 12/1/1, two Hwacha have the same attack power (but sadly not range) of one 12/2/2 artillery. However, I'm not sure if ROF has any effect in defensive artillery fire--it was my understanding that artillery can only take 1 HP off anyways--and each artillery unit can only fire one defensive shot per turn, so the two Hwacha might actually be better in that regard.

Also, note that I did temper my enthusiasm with a couple of conditonals. If the Hwacha has BRF 12/1/1 for only 40 shields, hot damn, that's worthy of the Immortals; catapults are dirt cheap and that's only a 40 gold upgrade (20 with Leo), so you can pile on the pikes, muskets, and catapults as you research up the gunpowder line, mass upgrade at Metallurgy, and thereby get a bit of a head start on everybody while they wait to upgrade to Cavalry. You don't even need barracks since artillery has no experience level, and think--Koreans are Sci/Rel, aren't they? You can toss up temples, cathedrals, and libraries in record time and have plenty of shields left over for catapults.

If, however, it's 10/1/1 at 40 shields, or 12/1/1 for extra cost, that's a nice bonus but not so much that I'd drastically change my offensive strategy. I'd be sure to build plenty of Hwacha for defensive purposes, sure, but they're probably not worth lugging around on an offensive campaign if they're not both cheap and powerful.
Old October 17, 2002, 14:10   #43
Alexander I
staff
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization IV CreatorsCivilization IV: MultiplayerPolyCast Team

Local Time: 02:57
Totally the Berserk. What could be cooler or more ego-building than sending dozens of angry axe-slashing Vikings to tear your weakling enemies to shreds?
The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report