Old October 5, 2002, 21:48   #1
Cidifer
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 04:00
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Patch question
As I'm not sure which patch (if any) this happened in I decided to post it here rather then the patch thread at the top, plus they are mostly just reporting bugs and this really isn't a bug (I don't think).

Anyway a it's been a few months since I last played a game of Civ3 (due to computer problems and the fact I started playing a couple other games that weren't civ3 for a couple months prior to my comp problems) and I didn't have the most recent patch at that point so I have a few questions regarding possible changes that were made.

Anyway I reinstalled the game a couple days ago, messed around with the editor a little, played a couple turns on a small map on an easy difficulty to get back in to it. Then I was ready to go, anyway it seems that I should have more diplomatic relations (military alliance, mutual protection pact etc.) at the point I'm at in the game but I don't, is this something that was changed in a patch to come later in the game, or is there some new way of getting it\setting it up? anyone know? also 2 other countries put an embargo on me about 5 turns ago and alot earlier then that 2 countries formed a military alliance, but i still can't do these things. Were they drastically changed or what?
Old October 5, 2002, 23:08   #2
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 02:00
You need Nationalism in order to make alliances or MPP. Players occasionally forget that; I know I have in the past.

To plant spies you need Espionage AND build the Intelligence Agency small wonder.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old October 5, 2002, 23:13   #3
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

You also need to establish embassies with other civs in order to eneter into diplomatic agreements such as alliances, RoPs, embargoes, etc.

After you have discovered Writing, you may establish embassies by double-clicking on the '*' icon that appears next to your capitol city name on the map view screen.

EDIT: And be sure to patch to version 1.29f -- the original game from the CD is less playable / enjoyable than the latest version.

Catt
Old October 6, 2002, 09:40   #4
Cidifer
Warlord

I've been doing that but I can't seem to establish embasses, also I was wondering if in the origanal you got it earlier or if it just seemed that way becuase I was playing on an easier difficulty back then maybe.
Old October 6, 2002, 10:31   #5
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 01:00
Quote:
Originally posted by Cidifer
I've been doing that but I can't seem to establish embasses, also I was wondering if in the origanal you got it earlier or if it just seemed that way becuase I was playing on an easier difficulty back then maybe.
Just double click on the star icon next to the name of your capitol on the main map. You can also right click on the capitol to open the embassy pop up. Its always worked like that.
Old October 6, 2002, 11:57   #6
Cidifer
Warlord

nevermind I figured out my problem, it was my mouse, it's got some kind of problem with clicking, I have to do it in a certain way and for some reason it's extremely hard to do that in the game.
Old October 6, 2002, 12:52   #7
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:00
Man with as much clicking/double clicking as is in this game that will be painful.
Old October 6, 2002, 14:06   #8
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Cidifer, feed your mouse to a cat and get a new one. A bad mouse is as bad as messed up keyboard keys. BTW, CTRL-E can also be used to establish an embassy.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old October 6, 2002, 15:28   #9
Cidifer
Warlord

Well I knew this mouse had problems but my only other one on hand doens't have a mouse wheel, which is annoying now that I've been using a mouse wheel for a couple years. Anyway I'm getting a new computer soon anyway which is why I didn't replace my old HD right away and I'll just get a mouse with that.