View Poll Results: Which city pair is the best choice for our Palace and FP?
Timeline and Contaginon 30 60.00%
Macross City and Geofront 15 30.00%
Abstain 5 10.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 6, 2002, 19:45   #1
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 03:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Official Palace Poll Runoff
This a runoff between the two most popular choices for the Palace/Forbidden Palace locations. The poll will last 5 days.

1) Timeline and Contaginon
2) Macross City and Geofront
X) Abstain

Old October 6, 2002, 19:48   #2
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 04:01
In what direction are we plannign to expand? Left or Right?

Sell your photos
Old October 6, 2002, 19:52   #3
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

I support 1) Timeline and Contaginon because I'm a big "river tile" fan and would like as many of those +1 commerce tiles to be close to palaces.
Old October 6, 2002, 20:09   #4
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I agree with GF, but have additional reasoning for it.

You see, even IF we were to attack France and/or Greece, it's probably not going to happen for quite a while. As such, I strongly think that an FP in Contaginon is our best option for now. The palace, we must keep in mind, IS MOBILE AND CONTINUES TO BE MOBILE EVEN AFTER WE MOVE IT, so if we put it in Timeline for now because that's best and... 50-100 turns or more down the road when we might conceivably own all of France and Greece, we could move it again to Macross (assuming we ever get that far, which definately not certain... the reason why we stick it in Timeline now).

That's my thinking on the matter, anyhow...
Old October 6, 2002, 20:20   #5
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 10:01
I will vote for Timeline/Cont. if and only if that name(Timeline) is under the possibility of a legal change.
So , where can I lookup our code of law?
Old October 7, 2002, 00:21   #6
ruby_maser
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Gathering Storm
King

timeline for one seems like the right choice for the palace now, especially since we can move it later. Building in macross seems to me like dangling it off the edge of the world at this point in our development.
"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi
Old October 7, 2002, 06:13   #7
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 10:01
Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
I support 1) Timeline and Contaginon because I'm a big "river tile" fan and would like as many of those +1 commerce tiles to be close to palaces.
Right, I forgot, there are no river tiles in and around Macross City, or are there some? Aren't we blind on one eye here?

Macross city and Geofront is it! Come on, people, think global. Why waste tons of leaders for a dozen palace moves? Build the palace in the right place, use our military to "transform" the territory around it into ours, and use the leaders for an army and more of the attractive medieval and industrial wonders. If I have a choice between Adam Smith's, ToE or Hoover on one side, and the 3rd Palace move on the other, I chose the wonder hands down.
Old October 7, 2002, 10:48   #8
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 09:01
By doing the math, it looks like the optimial cities would be Marcoss City and "Antioch". These two cities are about 20 tiles apart. That would let it have five tiles of overlap (P effect is 15 tiles, FP is 10). I see thats not an option. I see that NEVER was an option. I think we should reconsider our options before the next turnchat....

*** That Donegeal is just a boob sometimes! ***

Last edited by Donegeal; October 7, 2002 at 11:10.
Old October 7, 2002, 10:57   #9
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 11:01
Donegeal, where did you get this data from?
AFAIK the only effect of Palaces and FPs outside of calculating the chance of a cultural flip are when calculating waste and corruption. Palace/FP placement factors in as the 'Distance from the nearest capital' factor (where palaces and FPs act the same) and 'Number of cities closer to the nearest capital' factor. See this thread for info.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old October 7, 2002, 11:01   #10
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by donegeal
By doing the math, it looks like the optimial cities would be Marcoss City and "Antioch". These two cities are about 20 tiles apart. That would let it have five tiles of overlap (P effect is 15 tiles, FP is 10). I see thats not an option. I see that NEVER was an option. I think we should reconsider our options before the next turnchat....
Overlap is waste. The options in the original poll were the ones suggested over 6 weeks. Where have you been the last 2 months? We cannot reconsider our options every two months because some new member has a different idea. If we did that we would NEVER get to play the game.
Old October 7, 2002, 11:07   #11
Donegeal
Emperor

I stand educated. Thank you.
Old October 7, 2002, 11:10   #12
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 11:01
No problem. I had no idea corruption works this way either only a few weeks ago.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old October 7, 2002, 11:10   #13
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by donegeal
I stand educated. Thank you.
I wasn't trying to be mean, its just that this was discussed for a LONG time, and there will always be new suggestions so we have to make a cutoff at some point as I really don't like the idea of having another huge poll for 5 days and then redoing this poll again.
Old October 7, 2002, 11:26   #14
mtgillespie
Warlord

Am i missing something here

Why is there a runoff poll. We had a poll. there was a winner. IIRC, there was no mention that the last poll was "preliminary" in any way (although i could be mistaken). This is getting into very dangerous territory, IMHO.
Old October 7, 2002, 11:34   #15
Donegeal
Emperor

The title of the last poll let us know it was preliminary. It was called:

OFFICIAL Suggestions of the Palace Committee Poll
Old October 7, 2002, 11:41   #16
mtgillespie
Warlord

Where does that say preliminary??? The palace committee were ALWAYS only making suggestions to be voted on, whether that was one poll or many. ANd there is nothing in the first post about a runoff either.
Old October 7, 2002, 11:53   #17
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

LOL.

Ghengis, you were right...

mtgillespie, in the original poll it states:
Quote:
This poll's purpose is to discuss and determine the population's more popular choices
It determined the two most popular choices, now we are determining the favorite. We will then have a THIRD poll as to which CITY gets the Palace and which the FP.

Disagree? Submit it to the court, and I will see you there.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old October 7, 2002, 12:04   #18
mtgillespie
Warlord

OK, i didn't see that under all the maps. I stand corrected (although i think it should have been clearer).

Quote:
Disagree? Submit it to the court, and I will see you there.
LOL. I feel like i'm in the old west, and i've just been asked to "go for my gun" by billy the kid
Old October 7, 2002, 12:16   #19
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Sorry, Ghengis and I were debating this very scenario in another thread. He knew someone might take objection to this poll, and I have prepared a defense for that reason to speed this decision along. We need to get these started.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old October 7, 2002, 13:46   #20
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I don't have quite enough infomation to vote yet.

Are we planning on implemting Aggie's second proposed French invasion as the next war after America?

If so, then Marcoss City & Geofront is the obvious choice.

If the next war is an annexation of England, then Timeline + Contaginion is the obvious choice.

If we intend to be peaceful the rest of the game, neither choice makes much sense, as both have one city in a good spot now, and another that's currently on the fridges of the empire.
Old October 7, 2002, 15:19   #21
ruby_maser
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Quote:
Originally posted by joncnunn
If we intend to be peaceful the rest of the game, neither choice makes much sense, as both have one city in a good spot now, and another that's currently on the fridges of the empire.
I don't think this nation has the ability to remain peaceful for the rest of the game. But, anyway, we can always move the palace later.
"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi
Old October 7, 2002, 17:27   #22
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Can I safely assume that the Forbidden Palace will be built now in the closer city of the winning pair and the Palace relocated to the far one later?
Old October 7, 2002, 17:36   #23
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

NO,

Another poll will determine which of the winning combo gets which palace

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old October 8, 2002, 11:34   #24
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
NO,

Another poll will determine which of the winning combo gets which palace
Both site could start working on either one as they aren't likely to finish either before that last poll is finished.
Old October 8, 2002, 11:52   #25
joncnunn
Emperor

If on the winning combo, both sites are going to be started immedately, then I'll have to abstain unless we are planning a military campaign against the neighbor the far city adjoins.

The westernmost city in the western combo is too close to France for my comfort.

The easternmost city in the eastern combo is too close to England & Germany for my comfort.
Old October 8, 2002, 12:41   #26
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I heavily suggest NOT immediately start construction on both after the poll is done... the host cities will need to build a few critical improvements first (temples, libraries, aqueducts if needed, courthouses if it signfiicantly reduces construction time, and cathedrals to keep the population content during the long construction.
Old October 8, 2002, 12:52   #27
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb

Both sites could start working on either one as they aren't likely to finish either before that last poll is finished.
No one ever said they would immediately start working on those, it is simply a possiblility should the CP want to.
Old October 8, 2002, 13:31   #28
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 05:01
I say macross/geofront is the obvious choice when you consider our LONG term territory. I like the long view and say we should take it.

As CP I will start construction per orders on this weekend. I will also request that our Public Works shift a large amount of attention to the choosen sites, including clearing and mining everything available and joining the foreign slave workers to our cities to give it a pop boost up to size 10-11.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old October 8, 2002, 13:51   #29
ruby_maser
King

Quote:
Originally posted by GodKing
I will also request that our Public Works shift a large amount of attention to the choosen sites, including clearing and mining everything available and joining the foreign slave workers to our cities to give it a pop boost up to size 10-11.
Whoa... why would you join the foreign slave workers? For one, they are and will always be free labor. Also, they represent different ideologies and could oppose future military actions against their homelands.

Why not use the workers we are paying for (true, ours are industrious but we can always produce more), at least they would provide a stable, homogenous population to base a capital on.

Old October 8, 2002, 14:38   #30
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
As CP I will start construction per orders on this weekend.
WTF? You said zeit was running things and I've been pming him all my info:
1) Chartres needs to switch production to settler and work the roaded river jungle tile 2 space SE instead of one of the grasslands to avoid hitting pop 3 before the settler is done.

2) Ubergorsk is working an unshielded grassland when a shielded grassland is available.

3) Holeinwall might as well switch to harbor before temple as the Roman city has already beat us to the wheat resource (it culture expanded last turn) and a harbor generates 4 happy faces (4 luxuries) versus the 1-2 of a temple.

4) BFM is in trouble riot wise unless somehting is done.

5) Mystery City (Gotham) should switch to working the improved grassland S instead of the jungle tile.

Quote:
I will also request that our Public Works shift a large amount of attention to the choosen sites, including clearing and mining everything available and joining the foreign slave workers to our cities to give it a pop boost up to size 10-11.
I don't see WhiteBandit joining the workers in clearing out the jungle as he is running for Monarch right now. It it would not look good to have a potential monarch sweating with a machete in the jungle and chumming around with captured foreign slaves.

Joining workers to our cities is a waste as we need more workers not less to clear and work our tiles. Our cities are breeding like rabbits with all that grassland around them I'm more concerned with keeping em happy at their hyper growth rate now and don't feel they need a deseperate boost form workers.