Old October 9, 2002, 01:47   #61
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 01:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
NO we have to destroy them NOW !
Old October 9, 2002, 04:34   #62
XOR
Warlord

Local Time: 09:01
Quote:
Originally posted by Meshelic
NO we have to destroy them NOW !
Old October 9, 2002, 08:34   #63
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 04:01
Oddly enough, I agree on attacking the Americans NOW... read my post in the thread about the info we know about Boston... In my opinion, it's now or never if we want to take Boston before the Aztecs do.
Old October 9, 2002, 09:53   #64
Robber Baron
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos
In my opinion, it's now or never if we want to take Boston before the Aztecs do.
Never? I disagree. We should be able to take Boston from the Aztecs easily enough down the road, if it becomes a priority. IMO we are getting carried away with a sense of crisis here.
It is MUCH more important to stage our golden age correctly -- in the right government, with adequate cultural and economic infrastructre in place to maximize its benefits. Until we we have everything lined up (marketplaces, courthouses, etc.) we must not use our War Chariots. The advantages of optimizing our GA far outweigh the benefits of taking Boston.
Old October 9, 2002, 11:49   #65
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Isn't the turn you declare the revolution the one turn you don't want to rush buildings?

Having the revolution the right turn so we are in Republic for the entire Golden Age is more important that those buildings needing rushed.

Robber Baron, We have to be at war to get a Golden Age in this time frame. What's to stop the Aztecs from contining on after Boston to take the last American city?

Plus the culural bombing of Washington will be easier if we start with Boston.

And we don't want the Aztecs in turn losing those cities to the Germans if the Germans decide the Aztecs have gone soft.
Old October 13, 2002, 20:34   #66
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Well, the war for America is over now, and as most of you know we prevented the Aztecs from capturing the last standing American city of New York.

Even though I stand among the most war-mongering Hawks and will continue to encourage growth of empire, I do think that a period of peace and prosperity is in order. We're a republic now, so lets keep the people happy and prepare for the next time we need "breathing room"....
Old October 13, 2002, 22:49   #67
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos
In my opinion, it's now or never if we want to take Boston before the Aztecs do.
told you so
Old October 13, 2002, 23:03   #68
Mr. Orange
Civilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

From my estimate, I see Alexander and Montezuma in an un-banana alliance. That is my fear. As of this point, I think they have the troops and could out-produce us. What I also worry about is a lack of navy. It's not feasible to put one together right now, but I feel an odd historical paradox of a large land nation/army with a small fleet...

And screw the French, Germans and English. Even together we'd slaughter 'em.
Old October 14, 2002, 00:03   #69
Meshelic
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Orange
From my estimate, I see Alexander and Montezuma in an un-banana alliance. That is my fear. As of this point, I think they have the troops and could out-produce us.
While that is true, we do hold a certain amount of power over these nations because of our huge amount of export and trade power. These nations in some way need us around to survive. The Greeks are a different story. While they may be trade partners with us, they are also a formidable opponent. We have to watch them and the Germans very carefully, as the French, Aztec and English have little might compared to ours.

Quote:
[SIZE=1]
And screw the French, Germans and English. Even together we'd slaughter 'em.
Reminds me of my fellow Hawks.
Old October 14, 2002, 10:50   #70
Mr. Orange
Chieftain

I just don't agree on the Germans. They are a middle power with no access to the ocean. The only way they'll expand is through attacking other nations. Why pick a fight with the biggest kid on the block? My guess is Otto goes after the English. They stack together the best.

Quote:
Reminds me of my fellow Hawks.
As close as I get. ::
Old October 14, 2002, 12:45   #71
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 11:01
If Otto goes to war with the English we have an interest in allying with him. We share only few tilesides with the English so we have an easy to defend border. All we have to do is to rush some defenders to Arbela and its surroundings and then ally with Otto, hold off the English, maybe attack and take some of their southern cities and most of all, enjoy all the techs and gpt that Otto will bestow upon us for allying with him.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old October 14, 2002, 15:55   #72
Mr. Orange
Chieftain

I coulnd't agree with you more. Enland is where out border is the most ambigious. Aro's maps demonstrate this beautifully. How I hate Expansionist Civs. they always screw up my nice borders...
Old October 14, 2002, 16:32   #73
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Local Time: 05:01
England is a good target. They are smaller, and we can expand naturally in that direction. Another thing of note is that England has a high culture rating - lets stop our east flank from culture flipping by destroying them!!!
Old October 14, 2002, 19:53   #74
Meshelic
King

I agree that the natural movement of the Germans is towards the coast, and that likely places either the English or the Aztecs at risk of a possible German invasion. The risk to us? Probably minimal. We have plenty of territory and the initial impact of an invading German force would be swallowed up by our huge expanse of land. Similar to the problems Napolean, Hitler etc ran into on their campaign in Russia...

Can we trust the Germans? That's the big issue for me. Otto always seems to be annoyed at something, or demanding this and that. His character is very predictable in this game.

The English can suffer at the hands of our armed forces. They take up some prime coastline, and if we can get those cities then we have a greater chance of discovering the lost civs before anyone else does, since the English seem to be ahead of us in that race, or will be in the future.

Take the English out. They won't know what hit em.
Old October 14, 2002, 23:50   #75
Mr. Orange
Chieftain

Here's something jingoistic to rally around...

To all Apolytonia! London Calling!
Old October 15, 2002, 18:51   #76
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Questionable Objectives
Quote:
Originally posted by Aggie

1) End france as a threat before they can get a Ga,
2) Get us desert land for oil
3) With good culture buildup could threaten russian city

Aggie
Saltpeter and iron seem to be useful objectives, they'll save us alot of $$$, but these 3?

1) Might help, but if they're a minor power, aren't we better off building city improvements?
2) Is a long way off , and there are no guarantees.
3) War for the possiblity of a culture flip, and to do it we'd probably rush build? (120 gold), when we could start building a science infrastructure.

Let's start thinking like a Republic and fight more purposeful wars.
Old October 16, 2002, 12:27   #77
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Re: Questionable Objectives
Quote:
Originally posted by realpolitic
Let's start thinking like a Republic and fight more purposeful wars.
Exactly!
- Phantom of the Opera
Old October 16, 2002, 13:20   #78
zeit
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 10:01
-The way i see it, a war with france has two sides- on one hand- they are weak, and we'd take their cities easily, sue early for peace, etc. This will also give us the extra saltpeter, and, IMO more important- give us a GA, which in this stage of development is crucial and most benefitial.
France is also, compared to Germany, the 'weakest kid in block' and as we always used to pick on the weak and rip the profits, we might as well do it again.
On the other hand- and this is absolotely right- we have much better things to do right now with our lytons and our production, and somehow this war doesn't see all that necessary and worthwhile, and the terrain is disadvantageous for our knights.

I would have agreed to postpone such an opperation until further notice if not for two main reasons:

1)The frenchies have saltpeter but no gunpowder- and in the next 10 turns are not expected to raise enough for the creation of strong musketeer force, and this is our chance.

2)The GA we (at least I) crave for is just around the corner, and we won't get a much better chance for using our WC against a bunch of lowly warriors and swordmen.
Old October 16, 2002, 13:49   #79
Shiber
Emperor

Well put Zeit.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old October 16, 2002, 14:31   #80
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

How many turns are left until our last trade deal with France expires?

And how many turns are left before out last trade deal with England expires?

Do the English have both Gunpowder & access to Saltpeter?

We are going to need to evenually annex England due to the winning Palace / Forbidden Palace combo. But if they can have Musketters already, then we want to wait for Calvary first unless Germany attacks England.

If we go after France as soon as the trade deals expire, we should only do it if we don't need the eastern 2 Knight forces to do so. (We'd still need them in place to discourage a German attack.)
Old October 16, 2002, 16:04   #81
Meshelic
King

France before England I say