Old October 7, 2002, 13:22   #1
Daftpanzer
Warlord

Local Time: 10:04
Local Date: November 1, 2010
ideas for ctp2 from a n00b
Hello, I used to play around with civ2 and the scenario editor a lot, but im a big n00b when it comes to ctp2 editing (i am starting to learn tho)

I have an idea for milita units like in moo2, i have searched the forums to see if it has already been done but couldnt find anything, if it has already done by someone or is totally impossible i apologise....

ok my idea : Milita units
I liked the idea of milita infantry in M002 that would help defend a planet, you got more milita the bigger the planets population, and they only appeared in a battle..

would it be possible to do this for ctp2? so if a city has less than the max garrison of 12 units, and the population is at a certain level, a certain number of milita units appear in a battle. Any survivng milita units are destroyed afterwards. The milita could be a new special unit (or series of units for each age), or they could be units like warriors, pikemen, infantry, machine gunners etc but with very low starting health so they are not as good as a nomal unit.

The milita would not be able to stand up to a fair sized attack but they could stop your size 24 city which you accidently left unguarded being taken by an damaged obsolete barbarian horse archer etc...... and they might just turn the tide of a battle if its evenly matched...

I dont know if its possible for units to appear in a battle, but that seemed to happen a couple of times today while i was playing through the samruai scenario, at certain villages. Maybe i just didnt see the enemy units appear before they attacked tho...

well thanks for reading this, i apprieciate any response
Old October 7, 2002, 15:01   #2
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 11:04
Actual we have Militia Units in Cradle and in MedPack2, but they are a lizzle bit different than the ones you have in mind. In these mods they are created when a city is founded and a re immobile.

The type of Militia Unit you have in mind could be added to the city's place before the battle is actual started.

-Martin
Old October 7, 2002, 16:25   #3
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

There isn't any point creating them before the battle and destoying them afterwards. Exactly the same effect is achieved by having them immobile. They can't to anything but defend, the only slight practical difference between the two methods is a) Locutus' MM2 way is easier to code and b) they have upkeep points (but you can set these to 0 to make the same effect.
Old October 7, 2002, 18:59   #4
Daftpanzer
Warlord

IMO if they only appeared in a battle, they would only use up free spaces in the city if there is less than 12 units there as opposed to blocking more effective units... Plus you could have more/less milita appearing depending on the city population and loyalty....

but maybe this is impossible to do?
Old October 7, 2002, 20:22   #5
Pedrunn
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 06:04
Quote:
It is possible. We just need to create right before the battle.
Impossible is not a word you hear often here
-Jean Rostand

Last edited by Pedrunn; October 7, 2002 at 20:35.
Old October 8, 2002, 10:22   #6
J Bytheway
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Daftpanzer
IMO if they only appeared in a battle, they would only use up free spaces in the city if there is less than 12 units there as opposed to blocking more effective units... Plus you could have more/less milita appearing depending on the city population and loyalty....

You could create them just for the battle, but that wouldn't allow you to have more than 12 units fighting.
Old October 8, 2002, 11:23   #7
Pedrunn
King

True. Thaks for pointing that up J. I guess this just makes the Locutus way look better
-Jean Rostand
Old October 8, 2002, 13:09   #8
Daftpanzer
Warlord

Quote:
You could create them just for the battle, but that wouldn't allow you to have more than 12 units fighting.
yeah i meant, they would only start to appear if you didnt have the max number of standard units in a city already when it is attacked...
Old October 8, 2002, 17:49   #9
Pedrunn
King

If you were here a couple of months ago when i had plenty of time because i had a surgery you would have the code in your hands already. Unfortunetly I have no time.
Although SLIC is easy to learn the slicers were always a scarce race
-Jean Rostand