Old October 7, 2002, 19:44   #1
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 04:04
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Area 25: After Printing Press
This thread does not exist. Neither does Thud apparently.

Printing Press is at most 30 turns away, but I would like to get some thoughts on what to go for next a little early. Keep in mind we should have Gunpowder and Astronomy by the time we get Printing Press.

I bet Banking will be out there too. This would allow us to go to Democracy.

We also may want to go for Navigation so we can get it ASAP to try to find the lost civs.

Or we could just make a line for Military Tradition.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old October 7, 2002, 20:04   #2
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Economics is also a lucrative possibility IF we're already well on our way to build a wonder (since we would then switch to Smith's Trading Company).

Just a thought on what we might do next...

EDIT: WOOHOO!!! I'm a Prince!!!!

Of course, my aspiration is to be something alike to Machiavelli's "Prince"
Old October 7, 2002, 20:34   #3
Sean
Prince

Local Time: 09:04
It depends on the objectives. If we want to expand through war, we should rush to Military Tradition, and hopefully get it first, so we may dominate in battle.

But if we want to build our infrastracture, particularly considering all the "loss" cities we have, then economics and ASTC would be great.

No doubt there is a third option as well...

Sean.
Old October 7, 2002, 20:38   #4
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

military tradition is my pick.

economics would be great, but what chances do we have to get Adam Smiths?.

anything else is pointless IMHO
Old October 7, 2002, 22:24   #5
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I gotta agree with UberKrux (gasp! ) that Military Tradition and Economics are by far the best choices.

However, I disagree that nothing else is a viable option. Navigation would be powerful if there are uncolonized landmasses or no-one has yet discovered the "lost civ's" (once they're discovered however, navigation plumits in value). Theory of Gravity could also be useful as a backup to Economics because Isaac Newton's College is rather powerful wonder - especially if we want to attempt to make up for the AI's research advantage in the long run (as argued in Shiber's thread concerning middle age wonders).

But, generally, I agree that Military Tradition (Cavalry are the Panzers of the Middle Age) and Economics are by far the best.
Old October 7, 2002, 22:49   #6
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 01:04
Military Tradition would definetely be a good route to follow, with strong military units we can assure our survival as well as settle any disputes we have with foreign civs.

Economics is ALWAYS beneficial, as a strong economic base is essential to the abilities of that nation. With banks in every city our treasury will expand and our coffers will be overflowing! Not to sound like the DIA too much, but it's a good idea.
Old October 7, 2002, 22:51   #7
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

We should try not to forget navigation as a possible route. Whether it "plummets in value" or not after other civz are discovered doesn't really matter, the benefits of discovering those civs are generally more than worth it.
Old October 7, 2002, 23:01   #8
Arnelos
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Meshelic
We should try not to forget navigation as a possible route. Whether it "plummets in value" or not after other civz are discovered doesn't really matter, the benefits of discovering those civs are generally more than worth it.
While this is true, Magnetism quickly becomes the FAR more attractive technology the moment Navigation is already in someone's hands who uses it to make contact with the lost civs.
Old October 8, 2002, 06:59   #9
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 10:04
If there are lots of small islands, Navigation may be worth it after the Lost Civs are discovered.

I doubt that, though, since we only know of two islands in total.
Old October 8, 2002, 08:55   #10
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

By observation, our nation is certainly very warlike in nature, and for us, this has worked excellently. As long as our infrastructure is moving up in increments between wars, I don't see why we need to change how we are playing.

Although usually not, for this game I'm all for the military and economy. (Though I haven't pulled open a tech tree to see what's available right now)
Old October 8, 2002, 11:19   #11
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Is this a thread about what to attempt to research next or a thread about what techs to buy?

If it's a thread about research : Democracy, because we have a much higher probablity of succeeding at researching it than any other tech if we get a Golden Age soon. (If we don't get a Golden Age + Republic soon, then this is mute, as there is a 0% chance of researching any tech after Printing Press without the Golden Age.)

If the thread is instead about buying tech:

1. Gun Powder. We need to discourage a German invasion of us by upgrading Pike Men along our German border to Musket Men.

2. Astronmeny for expanding our knowledge of the seas and selling the maps.

3. Acquire techs along the beeline to Military Tradition as much as possible.

4. Navigation. Ocean trade.

5. Economics.

6. Other techs required to enter the Industrial Age.
Old October 8, 2002, 15:31   #12
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

This is about what to research next.

Togas/ada/etc are fairly good at deciding what to buy.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old October 8, 2002, 15:42   #13
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 09:04
I say democracy and economics are essential military tradition will come some time first these two!
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old October 8, 2002, 16:01   #14
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Okay, if this is simply research, the thread is pre-mature and should wait until either our science rate is increased or else it looks like another civ has Printing Press. (If the later happens though, I will really wonder what the point of having a Science minster is.)
Old October 8, 2002, 16:13   #15
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

We're going to try to buy both Astronomy and Gunpowder, when possible. We're pretty crafty. Our tech aquisition should keep us in the hunt. We'll have Gunpoweder soon enough to deal with any potential German threat in the future.

As for research, I back the plan that goes straight to Democracy. Once we switch to Democracy (if we can ever get our FP/Palace thing sorted out) we'll have such a huge economic advantage that we could then freely purchase or learn anything else we need from here on out.

Also, banking is on the road to Democracy and I'm a huge banking and Wall Street freak in my games. With the way this nation makes cash now, we may as well call ourselves Morgan Enterprises. We will forever be financially secure.

Our large cities (thanks to Sistine, Pyramids, and lots of luxuries) will produce ungodly amounts of trade. I see only happiness and prosperity in our future, and I feel that Democracy is a key part of that.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old October 8, 2002, 16:31   #16
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 10:04
Hi, and well met!
I am currently running for Minister of Science (ind) under the motto: "Revive culture and prosperity" I'm a reformist...

Both the Thinkers Guild and the Culture Club will be active (i hope)
during our reforms. This discussion is essential!
Adam Smith's is a longshot, but what can we gain if we don't try?
Also... I support togas' plan about the Democracy tech.

*Huge rat leaving area 25*
Old October 8, 2002, 17:12   #17
joncnunn
Emperor

I love Wall Street myself.
(What's NOT to like about 50 free gold per turn?)
Old October 8, 2002, 17:24   #18
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 11:04
Wall Street is a cool wonder. It's cost in shields is low (since it's a Small Wonder) and if you run your treasury properly, it provides an additional income of 50 gpt.
Think of it - 50 gpt equals 12.5 shields in rushed labor. It's like one free temple per two turns with 5 shields to spare, or 5 free temples every 8 turns, or if you prefer - 6.25 additional worked tiles that produce 2 shields each.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old October 8, 2002, 17:36   #19
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 03:04
Re: Area 25: After Printing Press
Quote:
Originally posted by Apocalypse
This thread does not exist. Neither does Thud apparently.
That's my favorite post of the week.
Old October 8, 2002, 18:13   #20
Thud
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNever Ending StoriesC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4BtSDG Templars
Prince

Local Time: 05:04
Quote:
Neither does Thud apparently.

Indeed.

See my new thread if you're curious or outraged at my absence.
Old October 8, 2002, 19:01   #21
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 03:04
Quote:
Originally posted by Thud
I think Thud was "taken".
Old October 8, 2002, 22:25   #22
Apocalypse
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Thud

Indeed.

It was more like I was feeling like I am not doing enough as VP so I am exercising my filling in for people VP power.
Old October 9, 2002, 00:36   #23
Duddha
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

i'm a candidate for MoS.

Because we can get gunpowder and astronomy from trades, i feel that we should reaserch banking, so we can get demo or econ.
Old October 9, 2002, 11:37   #24
joncnunn
Emperor

What, a member of the Hawk party calling for us to actually research something???