Old October 8, 2002, 02:03   #1
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 05:05
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Scenario Diplomacy Possible With PtW
... It will just take some ingenuity and thinking outside the box. As was mentioned first in the last Firaxis chat, and in another recent thread at CFC, hotseat to AI transferring will be possible in PtW. Therefore, you can start a hotseat game with all players as humans, then set all the diplomacy you like between all the civs in the scenario. Then, change it back every civ except 1 to AI, then voila, you have a scenario, with the human player easily transferrable to any civ in the scenario, with all build orders and fortifiying done.

After reading the most recent chat, there are some definite possibilities in the game, along with a lot of new features I like...

*Starts scraping $30 together for late Octember...*

Alas, the life of a college student is cruel.
Old October 8, 2002, 03:06   #2
Estilpn
Spanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Emperor

Local Time: 11:05
interesting, but a very costly procedure... I think...
"Cuando ha adoptado una decisin, el entendimiento humano se apoya en todo lo dems para corroborarlo. Y por grande que sea el nmero y el peso de casos que caen del otro lado, los pasa por alto o desprecia, o mediante alguna distincin los margina o rechaza, a fin de que la autoridad de su primitiva conclusin permanezca inclume". F.Bacon
Old October 8, 2002, 03:53   #3
statusperfect
King

Maybe someone with the skills could throw togeter a *.SAV diplomacy editor??? Where you could set reputation and relations between all civs? This would be esily done if someone with programming skills found what in the SAV file was the Rep and Relations info. (Maybe even the firaxians could help us telling what is what in the save file and some general hints about making this SAV editor.) (Damn... should have taking those programmings lessong and skipped the art lessons in school )
Old October 8, 2002, 05:03   #4
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

Local Time: 10:05
I read the last chat too, and I like this idea. However I'm still enormously pissed off that the UN is still not SMAC like, and that kills lots of diplomatic options. I was also annoyed to read that the "Could you please stop warring on my friend?" option didn't make it in PTW. Is that so hard? Could this option be brought in through the editor?
Old October 8, 2002, 06:29   #5
statusperfect
King

aahz_capone> I don't think so. In game OPTIONS are hard-coded. But the RELATIONS are part of the SAV file.

quick search with windows did show this though

File Extension: .sav

Description: This file does not contain data that can be opened.

part of *.sav file opened in notepad

$2 $C@3Y  +El A@b'$u@"G?{% 0c֫L{@!41gC@|o_C<#[3g2BF^Ô#IY wp[3NE|2mఅ31JM0AG kFΚ2t¡LF񽁸
.I1rLF??km Hpɿ!oȡd c
`Ͽ+aذCg2𜃜2/H:eCg2?b!Y #i"#:oH:hʐ-LdLJ#v0_EIc9ix&cjTq!L)b?:͜9e괅2A1Dk~y >0c輅g2BaD#)#܇Gʿ&a1{ԑP6+( ONɻh2caR P)#I_Q&#?}#-`
/ [4ߎ Q!
any ideas anyone???

Last edited by statusperfect; October 8, 2002 at 06:35.
Old October 8, 2002, 07:31   #6
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 04:05
Quote:
Originally posted by Estilpn
interesting, but a very costly procedure... I think...
Why costly?

I'm thinking it would only take a few minutes longer than building your scenario in the first place.
Old October 8, 2002, 07:32   #7
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

Local Time: 10:05
Ah, yes, well, you see, #[3g2BF^ means that uh... er.. it's like you know, yeah.
And 0c輅g2BaD#)# means that the erm... eh... thingy doesn't er... I mean does ah... whatsisname. Then the thing there combines with that doodaad and voil! problem solved!
Old October 8, 2002, 07:36   #8
WarpStorm
King

Quote:
Originally posted by statusperfect
part of *.sav file opened in notepad

$2 $C@3Y  +El A@b'$u@"G?{%

any ideas anyone???
First, the sav files are compressed. The first step would be to decompress them. The second step would be to open the decompressed files in a real tool, like a hex editor, instead of notepad which is definitely the wrong tool for the job. Then you should be able to find meaningful data in the files. Don't expect to find nice tag delimited English data though. it'll be all hex numbers.

Alternatively, you could ask Firaxis nicely for the file format.
Old October 8, 2002, 12:06   #9
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 05:05
Or you can ask Gramps... he has a decompressor and he knows quite a lot about the file format. Beyond that though, a .SAV editor really isn't all that necassary... it would make the process prettier, but you'd still be able to set all the diplomacy you like using hotseat. It would simply waste a few days of a poor programmer's life.
Old October 8, 2002, 13:27   #10
Wise Ass
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Team BananaC4BtSDG Team Banana
Prince

It was my Idea
Old October 8, 2002, 16:05   #11
statusperfect
King

Still it would be cool to see the actual numbers you alter. And knowing exactly what EACH civ think of ALL the others. And canging reputation in a swift way. A program might not be necessary ... just some way to read the files and ge the ACTUAL NUMBERS.
Old October 10, 2002, 02:34   #12
Estilpn
Spanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm
Why costly?
I'm thinking it would only take a few minutes longer than building your scenario in the first place.
well... interesting & little costly
"Cuando ha adoptado una decisin, el entendimiento humano se apoya en todo lo dems para corroborarlo. Y por grande que sea el nmero y el peso de casos que caen del otro lado, los pasa por alto o desprecia, o mediante alguna distincin los margina o rechaza, a fin de que la autoridad de su primitiva conclusin permanezca inclume". F.Bacon
Old October 10, 2002, 07:47   #13
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
TRIP

It would simply waste a few days of a poor programmer's life.

Ahh, the perfect example of an oxymoron