Old October 8, 2002, 09:30   #1
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 03:05
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Presidential Campaign thread.
I haven't seen anyone make one yet, and I want to start asking questions. Hopefully this will get som other candidates to make threads as well...

Ok. Reporter mode for this entire thread.

WB , Ninot:

You are both experienced in the workings of Government now, what do each of you believe is the role of the President, and how do you plan to accomplish that role?

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old October 8, 2002, 10:00   #2
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 04:05
Nice thread Unortho. I was wondering if someone would make it before myself.

As to answer your question.

I see two primary roles for the President of Apolyton.

The first is obviously to play the turns. But in this role, it is very important that the President is able to follow orders from the ministers, and in the case that the ministers aren't offering orders quick enough, to find the best alternate methods of getting things done. So simply, it is the presidents job to make sure the turns get played no matter the situation.

As a second role, I see the President as a man who people rely on the set the pace on the boards. This is perticularly true of general planning discussions, and ammendment debates. The President should always be checking up on things of importance, to make sure they got done quicker. Of course, anyone CAN do this, but as the President is an elected figure who is presumably respected by the majority, this majority can depend on him to have a sensible point of view in any debate, and depend on him to help any debate end quicker and better.

If the turns can't get done, and if the boards go dead, the C3DG will be in trouble. Thus these two things should always be the Presidents priority.

Of course, as I have proven, should I be elected, the turns WILL get done, and somehow orders will be made, no matter the competence of the minister in charge. Also, i will see to it the boards don't die down, and ammendments will be made most surely.
Old October 8, 2002, 10:15   #3
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

How many gameturns per turnchat/turnthread will you play. AN d how often/ what pace will you be the turnchat/turnthreads?

Currently we appear to be playing 5 gameturns at 2 turnchats a week, usually Tuesday and Saturday.
Old October 8, 2002, 13:48   #4
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

"Every two years the American politics industry fills the airwaves with the most virulent, scurrilous, wall-to-wall character assassination of nearly every political practitioner in the country--and then declares itself puzzled that America has lost trust in its politicians."
- Charles Krauthammer

Let the debate commence!
Old October 8, 2002, 14:07   #5
WhiteBandit
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 01:05
Re: Presidential Campaign thread.
Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
I haven't seen anyone make one yet, and I want to start asking questions. Hopefully this will get som other candidates to make threads as well...

Ok. Reporter mode for this entire thread.

WB , Ninot:

You are both experienced in the workings of Government now, what do each of you believe is the role of the President, and how do you plan to accomplish that role?
During my two terms in office that I have served so far (under two different administrations), I have noticed that the President isn't really the most powerful position in Apolytonia. They are there to carry out orders of the ministers, and do not really have a part in making direct decisions regarding unit movement and management.

However, I do believe the President has great influence as the leader of our nation. Ultimately, the choices of many decisions are still left up to the people. The President's office does seem to be fairly revered and respected, and I think the President can play a fairly large part in shaping public policy.

It is the President's duty to carry out orders and think with a cool head. I can carry out these duties. Looking at my record, I have been extremely flexible with regards to changing my orders and always open to new ideas. Even unforeseen circumstances don't send me to panic. There have been a few instances in the jungle were I had a grand strategy to clear it within so many years, but then Togas would request that he needed something to trade, or needed me to build a colony for him. Although simple, I was more than accommodating in these situations.

While I won't have any direct role making decisions, I believe I can offer advice based on my experience. I am usually readily available and always open.

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
How many gameturns per turnchat/turnthread will you play. AN d how often/ what pace will you be the turnchat/turnthreads?

Currently we appear to be playing 5 game turns at 2 turn chats a week, usually Tuesday and Saturday.
I plan to keep up the same place. The CoL requires that we play at least two turn chats a week. We could possibly do more if we like, but having first hand experience at creating orders, more than two times a week would be extremely hectic and rushed.

At the current pace, we have time to create reports and analyze our situation between each turn chat before we proceed.

5 turns seems to be the optimum amount of time for a turn chat, as it starts to get pretty difficult to predict actions in the game upwards of 10 turns. It is simply hard for certain cabinet positions to see that far into the future. If someone to the best of their ability makes a mistake that throws everything 1 or 2 turns off, over the course of 10+ turns, this could magnify into a rather complicated problem.

I do believe the current pace is probably the most efficient.

Looking at my calendar, I decided to create a list of dates for tentative turn chats / turn threads. Haven't decided which will be which yet, as my schedule can be fairly unpredictable.

Sunday, Oct 20
Friday, Oct 25
Tuesday, Oct 29
Saturday, November 2
Thursday, November 7
Sunday, November 10
Thursday, November 14

I will have to talk with the Vice President to see if he would like to hold a turn chat on a specific day as well, but I think this gives a general idea of when turn chats / threads should occur. The pace is roughly every 3 - 4 days or so. I think this gives us plenty of time to prepare between chats.

(04/29/2004) [Trip] we will see who is best in the next round ; [Trip] that is why I left this team ; [Trip] I don't need the rest of you to win |
The solution to 1984 is 1776! | Here's to hoping that GoW's military isn't being run by MasterZen: Hehe! | DaveRocks! or something. ;)
Old October 8, 2002, 14:41   #6
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Ninot: You mention that you desire to create a number of amendments, and 'reconstitutionalize' the DG, can you go into details as to what types of amendments you see are needed, and why they should be brought about with the impending submission of a new Constitution from the Con Con?

WB: One of the many challenges that a President, as Ninot could tell you, is to keep the game moving despite unforseen circumstances. Do you have a plan to maintain a pace should something unforseen happen? And under what circumstances do you feel a stopage is neccessary?

Both: Do you have any detailed plans to improve the flow of information, and the relative ease of obtaining such? With the Book of ZpellZ now opened to the President, how do you plan to use this new responsibility?

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old October 8, 2002, 15:14   #7
WhiteBandit
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Quote:
Ninot: You mention that you desire to create a number of amendments, and 'reconstitutionalize' the DG, can you go into details as to what types of amendments you see are needed, and why they should be brought about with the impending submission of a new Constitution from the Con Con?

WB: One of the many challenges that a President, as Ninot could tell you, is to keep the game moving despite unforseen circumstances. Do you have a plan to maintain a pace should something unforseen happen? And under what circumstances do you feel a stopage is neccessary?

Both: Do you have any detailed plans to improve the flow of information, and the relative ease of obtaining such? With the Book of ZpellZ now opened to the President, how do you plan to use this new responsibility?
Well the reason I posted the dates above is to give us a lock down on when I plan to play turns. I've found that if I mark something down on a calendar, I'm more likely to stick to it than if I say, "Well, next week sometime..."

Most of the turns I personally plan to play will be turn threads. Those seem fairly flexible. If something comes up that day, it would be easy to put the turn thread off for 1 day or so. Though I know how anxious people can get waiting for information on a turn thread, but I do plan to keep everyone informed of when/what happens. Arnelos (provided he is elected VP) could also possibly handle turn chats / threads.

Regarding stopping the game, I feel it would definitely be necessary in any unforeseen circumstance, such as a country declaring war on us, discovering another civilization, or any other event that would definitely require consultation with ministers and people. We are on the emperor difficulty level and I think we need to plot out our course in history very carefully. Stoppages should be used liberally if I am personally unsure as to how to proceed or orders from a minister specifically dictate a stoppage in a certain scenario.

The Book of ZpellZ would make things inherently easier in the life of the President, as it would be much more convenient for me to top threads during my tenure, rather than waiting for someone to get a PM and eventually do it. This would give us more control over our own board, and I think it would eliminate the hassle of trying to top important threads.

Also, regarding information policies and keeping the public informed, I believe the government should even sponsor "non-turn" chats. While not necessarily a turn chat, it will be a chance for the President to be available and any other members of our nation who wish to chat about current issues. These chats won't serve for any purpose other than to gather some of our ministers and citizens together and have a chat, whether it is about the latest Jungle Ball scores or current and pressing issues. I think this is a great way to foster communication between ministers and have everyone chat with one another at the same time. I will most likely hold these in the #civ3dem channel on IRC, but the Apolyton chat room is a possibility since we don't need to really worry about lag time. In some cases, I might not even be able to attend, but it would be nice if people showed up to chat so that we can have open lines of communication between our citizens. I guess this really isn't any different than having a regular old chat room, except that these chats are now government sponsored! Yeah! Tentative dates (times are also pending):
Tuesday, Oct 22
Sunday, Nov 3

(04/29/2004) [Trip] we will see who is best in the next round ; [Trip] that is why I left this team ; [Trip] I don't need the rest of you to win |
The solution to 1984 is 1776! | Here's to hoping that GoW's military isn't being run by MasterZen: Hehe! | DaveRocks! or something. ;)
Old October 8, 2002, 18:05   #8
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Ninot, I'd be interested in hearing what you think warrants a stoppage.
Old October 8, 2002, 18:10   #9
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

I like the non-turn chat idea... Ninot, would you be willing to consider doing those should you run and if you have the time? Would you be willing to 'sponsor' one or two even if you couldn't make it (and hopefully arrange for one or two other members of gov't to be there?)

-- adaMada
Old October 8, 2002, 20:07   #10
Ninot
Emperor

Sorry for the delay in my answers.
Quote:

Currently we appear to be playing 5 gameturns at 2 turnchats a week, usually Tuesday and Saturday.
In all likelyhood, the majority of my turnplaying will be done in turnthreads, most likely at a pace of one session for every 3 days, or about 2-3 sessions a week. These turnthread sessions would be 5 game turns roughly, depending on how much must be achieved within each of the sessions. If we should be in a major war, it might be less turns, if it is more simple with less overall orders, more turns can be done.

I might do turnchats, but only during weekends.

Quote:
I certainly hope that what the Con Con produces becomes acceptable to all, and that not so many ammendments are needed afterwards. But the Con Con submission must come very soon, i don't think we can wait much longer for it.
What I would like to see is some input on the Con Con before it goes up for a vote.

But as for ammendments, well of course it depends on what the Con Con can produce. But in perticular, I would like to see some solid reforms to produce governors beyond rp-purposes. Governors has always seemed to be a good idea to me, and I would truly like to see them in.

Quote:
And, to answer to things at once, now that the President has Zpellz priveledges, i think we will need some ammendments to avoid abuse, and to streamline the forum. With easier zpellz access, we can shutdown some of the more spammier items occuping the first page, should they come up.
Old October 8, 2002, 20:13   #11
Ninot
Emperor

Well, back in the day (im old, remember?).. a turnchat stoppage was warranted when key members started leaving quickly and suddenly, or when the chat room just was not working.

But in what I hope to be a turnthread month, stoppages will be much more controlled by actual game events. Stoppages I can forsee are sudden changes in our diplomatic status (from war to peace), a sudden deterent to screw up turnthread plans, or just general technical problems (techhelpguy:"What? The Computer is making popping noises and is making green noxious gasses?")

And, to answer adaMada... yes, i hope to avoid turnchats should I be elected.
However, should my VP want to do a turnchat, or a turnthread of his own, I will not be one to stop him. If there is a will for any way of making the process easier, I won't be one to oppose it.

I hope that answers everything for now, but if it hasn't, im sorry . I read most of these posts while at school (yeah, i check the forum every break i get at school ) And I'm trying to answer back as fast as i can.
Old October 8, 2002, 20:23   #12
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Ninot: adaMada was referring to WB's suggestion of holding chats even though no trns would be played, just as a discussion.

Both: You have both mentioned that yu wish to avoid turnchats if at all possible. Many would claim, and it would seem that the last terms greatest success confirms, that turnchats actually improve participation and membership on the boards (I think I saw 20 at the last chat, and our participation has definately grown under OPD) How do you respond to those claims, and do you have any plans that would increase Participation on the boards?

(yes, I am in full reporter mode, Ninot is used to it, WB better get used to it soon...I am only starting)

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old October 8, 2002, 20:29   #13
Ninot
Emperor

Unorthodox... i wouldn't expect anything less from you

Ok, i didn't know what Ada was referring to. thanks for the heads-up

yes, i would 100% be in favor for discussion chats. i remember in the ancient days of the nation when you could go in the chat room almost any hour, and find someone to discuss the demo game with. with organization, we can get alot more done with the same kind of participation.

As for turnchats vs. turnthreads... my answer to you is pretty simple.
In my opinion, yes, turnchats ARE better for participation, and they are more fun to do than a turnthread is (remember, i conducted one or two turnthreads myself, and quite a few chats. no matter the headaches turnchats brought, they WERE more fun to do than a thread can ever be).

But, with the exception of VP planned chats, and weekend chats... i just CANT do turnchats that often.

So, to make it very clear to you, other than those exceptions, if your voting for Ninot, your realising that you will be getting a hefty chunk of turnthreads, and no turnchats. I just can't help that very much. I won't claim that I can provide chats often, because I don't want to mislead you.

If your voting for Ninot, your voting for more threads Plain and simple. Sucks, I know, but untill December, I can't do any better than that.
Old October 8, 2002, 20:45   #14
WhiteBandit
Prince

Quote:
Ninot: adaMada was referring to WB's suggestion of holding chats even though no trns would be played, just as a discussion.

Both: You have both mentioned that yu wish to avoid turnchats if at all possible. Many would claim, and it would seem that the last terms greatest success confirms, that turnchats actually improve participation and membership on the boards (I think I saw 20 at the last chat, and our participation has definately grown under OPD) How do you respond to those claims, and do you have any plans that would increase Participation on the boards?

(yes, I am in full reporter mode, Ninot is used to it, WB better get used to it soon...I am only starting)
UnOrthO - I fully understand! It doesn't bother me.

While I don't deny that turn chats increase participation, my schedule is fairly inflexible at the moment. Turn Threads offer me the most flexible solution. Most likely, if I do a turn thread, it will be at a crazy time for those of us in North America. (Crazy in the respect that we never hold turn threads at that time). I have days off on Tuesday's and Thursdays, so I could theoretically hold turn chats those days at around 8PM GMT or even earlier in some cases.

I fully think that turn chats are beneficial to our nation. When I decide to run a turn thread, it is possible that I can post a message on the board to join #civ3dem or the Apolyton Chat and keep people informed as to what I am doing. It would be an Official Turn Thread \ Fly By The Seat Of Our Pants Turn Chat. This way, people could still participate, and I can inform people as to what is going on while playing in the background.

I myself have seen upwards of 10 to 15 people in a channel at times, and it has been very productive. Turn chats are amazingly beneficial, fostering communication between ministries. I think that between myself and the VP, we would be able to have a fair number of both. But that is also why I will be available for chat as I play, so people can come and go as they please.

One might say I should just schedule nothing but turn chats. I guess I could, but on some days, it is hard for me to commit to a specific time to do things, while on other days (like Tuesdays and Thursdays) I can easily hold chats.

Regarding playing turns, one thing that I will require that I think Mr. WIA perfected during his administration is to have all orders in my hand before playing a turn thread or turn chat. This makes things so much easier, especially in regards to a turn chat itself.

Increasing participation in the demo game is fairly hard. You can only cater to people who are interested in it to begin with. Making turn chats is an entirely different story as well, as everyone has conflicting schedules. Perhaps the best choice is to "hope for the best" but also announce chats and threads far enough in advance so that people can schedule time to participate if they wish. That is why I listed the dates I plan to play turns.

There will be confirmation with the VP as well and we can set up a chat whenever he wants. I just wanted to list a basic schedule so everyone is in the know. At the moment, we only know what is coming up on a weekly basis. (I don't even know when our next turn chat is by the way? I can't find it anywhere). This way, it leaves know questions. Something like this would be readily available in the government directory, so you can always see when a turn chat / thread is coming up.

Old October 8, 2002, 20:55   #15
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Both:

What do you expect out of your VP, and how do you plan to aid them in accomplishing those tasks?

Ninot:

During your campaign for your last run, you promised a website to be made that would incorperate pages and infomation of all the DemoGame. Plans with SnOOpy and others fell through in completing that website, but are there any possibilities of such a creation?

Both:

Barring the creation of a website, would you be willing to assist in the creation and maintanence of the Directory, up to and including charging Executives and Ministers with hanling relative sections?

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old October 8, 2002, 20:59   #16
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 10:05
I'm getting sick of this beuraucratic nonsense.

Is there one candidate who wants to improve
and extend democracy , through strategic polling etc.?
Like being the loyal servant of your loyal people?
Old October 8, 2002, 22:28   #17
Ninot
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ThePlagueRat

I've always been of the opinion that if we have come to make a democracy game, we should make it the most democractic possible.

By this, i think that we should turn to the public for their opinion as often as conceivably convenient. So polls, threads, chat discussions, anything that seems democratically sound. And, i think a Governor system would aid this as well.
Old October 8, 2002, 22:53   #18
Ninot
Emperor

Quote:
Both:

What do you expect out of your VP, and how do you plan to aid them in accomplishing those tasks?
I can only DREAM my VP would organize things as well as you did Unortho . But I hope my VP would help organize things, be able to step up if at any time i should become handicapped or unavailable, and take care of business to aid me in my general business (playing turns occasionally)

Quote:
Ninot:

During your campaign for your last run, you promised a website to be made that would incorperate pages and infomation of all the DemoGame. Plans with SnOOpy and others fell through in completing that website, but are there any possibilities of such a creation?
not getting the website done was one of the things that i was most dissapointed about in my last term. The mess with Snoopy never got fixed, and it was just generally unfortunate.

Now, as my own time will not be expansive for the next month, I can't make any promises. But should anyone be able to help build a site, I would help them to my uttmost to finally get this thing done. Should i ever find myself with a weekend and nothing to do, maybe i'll create something basic. who knows. But should a website have the possibility of creation, i will be on it faster than a buzzard on roadkill!
Quote:
Both:

Barring the creation of a website, would you be willing to assist in the creation and maintanence of the Directory, up to and including charging Executives and Ministers with hanling relative sections?
Most definately yes! Back when i was foreign minister, i believed heavily in making very detailed reports for anyone to see. Honestly, i would wish all ministers would take the same time, care and effort to do likewise, but i know not everyone can. But I would definately show an unhappy face if ministers dont look to be pulling their weight for whatever they might should be doing, and if the Directory becomes a standard, than I will definately expect a standard ammount of info being fed into it. Of course, I will help out the ministers any ways i can, as it isn't like they are privied to the reports they might make.
Old October 9, 2002, 00:41   #19
WhiteBandit
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by ThePlagueRat

I can preach about extending democracy as much as I want, but that ultimately won't mean much in the scheme of things. The only way to have our democracy become more effective is if more people participate. We poll quite a bit on all sorts of matters relating to our government, some polls have quite a few people participating in them, while others have 10 - 20 people voting at max.

We are in a sort of precarious balance at the moment with our democracy game. People want to offer more positions in government so that there is more "participation" but at the same time we technically don't have that many people who can devote the time to participate, or are willing to even run for anything. Many of our elections are still with 1 candidate only. We have something like 400+ members signed up in the game, but 50 - 75 actively participate. Of those, we can just barely get enough to fill the 13 or so positions required.

I have always listened to opinions while in the service of the people. I remember that I was voted into office by the people. I don't think I have ever turned down a request (and if they are reasonable requests, I can't see why I would?). Just because I am head of a certain position, I do not think I am the smartest person. I actively seek the advice of others and have always listened to the citizens of our nation. I think this is definitely something I can do should I be elected as President, and my track record should show it. I am a loyal servant of the people.

My non-turn chats could also possibly fall in this category. While not giving the citizens more power, it does make the government more readily available, and it is easier to chat in "real time." I think this is something we can DEFINITELY benefit from. Many positive ideas have come from turn chats. During a turn chat under MWIA's administration, I worked up a plan with Aggie and MWIA to save Napoleton from Germany. It was a slight risk since it might not work, but at least we attempted something. I heavily pushed for it. Notice today that we still have Napoleton. If not for a chat, this would have never happened.

I think the non-turn chats give the average citizen more power to propose ideas about the course of the game that the government can take advantage of. These (hopefully) greater participation opportunities should foster increased citizen support and give the citizens a more active role in their government.

Quote:
Both:

Ninot:

Both:

I expect my VP to work hard and stay up to date with the game. I would definitely let my VP handle any thing he would want, I think of the VP as my equal. UnOrtho set a standard with having the VP update the directory (which is a very time consuming process), and so far AdaMada has taken over the job.

I think the VP can also act as a great conduit between the people and officials. Since the President plays the game and has a great broad overview of our country, he may not necessarily be thinking of the views of our citizens. I think since the VP doesn't have to generally be concerned with the "big picture," he has a better understanding of what the citizens want. Working together, the President and VP can mold the "big picture" into something that correlates to what the people of our nation want.

Regarding the creation of a website, it would be quite easy to throw something together. I could even request reports from ministers and update them with no problem. Giving ministers responsibility would be a great idea. While it does involve more work, it would force them to provide a report on matters of their ministry. Many have complained that the government does not provide enough information, but I think a web site combining all the ministries and even demographic information from BFM and Aro would be an invaluable asset to our country. It would go hand in hand with the directory, but would have a cleaner setup.

If elected, this is something I could easily design, as many have seen the Public Works website I threw together for my term as a PW minister (though it sadly hasn't been updated in a few weeks). As long as ministers PM me with the current information they would like, this would be quite easy to do. It would be a very effective tool.

Old October 9, 2002, 00:54   #20
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

To me turnchats are necessary, yes the strategy and planning is fun, but the best part of the game is playing along and the playing the game with everybody helping and giving advice. Would you consider, as OPD has mentioned in the latest orders thread letting a minister run a chat so that we can keep the chats. Perhaps I could do one, the FAM do one and so on. what is your view on this idea. To me playing turnchats and managing them are the key thing the president does. Of course the President does try to lead the discussion when possible(see the opd discussion on arbela for an example). However, considering how wonderfully qualified both(so far) candidates are the chat views will determine my vote.
Aggie
Old October 9, 2002, 01:28   #21
WhiteBandit
Prince

Ministers...
I don't think it would be a bad idea. I would like to stick to the schedule though as much as possible. If elected, I would post my schedule and perhaps we could deem who could control the turn chat at a specific date. I don't believe there is anything in the CoL that specifically prohibits this.

But if turn chats are actually deemed that important, I would be more than willing to let a minister preside over the chat should it be necessary.

Old October 9, 2002, 01:38   #22
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 09:05
Ninot: could you please explain "governers"? Is it like MoCP RA but on a city by city basis?
Old October 9, 2002, 01:52   #23
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 21:05

Wow. Looks like my worthy opponenets have a big lead on me in discussion and promises. I can't hope to catch up right now, but I will say a few things, and then reply to any specfic questions here or via PM (time to clean that inbox out!)

Turnchats will happen as normal if I were to be elected this term. I like them (despite the time they take up), and they help keep ppl in the know. Even if you just lurk during them, it is sooo much easier to know what has happened than reading the reports afterwards.

I have free time from Friday 11 Oct - a lot of it. All I must do for the next month is pack up my room in my flat and study for exams. No strict time commitments as of yet. This would mean that I should be available far more than I was when I was last President.

I the idea of discussion chats. I missed the last one during my term , but this sounds like a truly excellent idea.

Two turnchats of 5 turns a week? Sure - no problem. One more chat than my term, but that's alright. I would be concerned with any more than 5 turns/chat during wartime as things get unpredictable pretty quickly. During eace, where there are far fewer units to move around, we could extend the number of turns... but we have some way to go before we stop moving the military around!

As a general statement of why you should vote for me ^_^ - I like being President, and my last term (like all terms, not quite perfect), turned out pretty successful. I enjoy working with the Ministers we have had to date, and I am feeling quite excited with the prospect of some hotly contested elections, which will result in some truly excellent Ministers once again. I very much look forward to working with the familiar pillars of the game such as Aggie and also feel I will enjoy the first-time Executives such as Arnelos in his campaign for VP.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old October 9, 2002, 09:09   #24
Ninot
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by donegeal
Ninot: could you please explain "governers"? Is it like MoCP RA but on a city by city basis?
If im guessing right, you mean a minister of City Planning for an era, instead of a governor for every city.

When i think of a governor, i think of a post where someone controls the building orders of a handful of cities, or more depending on the cities.
Basically, yes i want to split up the MoCP's duties to several people, each seeing over a province or teritory.
Old October 9, 2002, 10:10   #25
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

All Three:

Should you lose the election, what role will you play over the next term?

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old October 9, 2002, 11:17   #26
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 21:05
Should I lose, you KNOW I will still be around.

I have a month of nothing but exam leave, so I will be here basically every day, and if the current trend is going to continue, for at least 3-4 hours a day.

it is difficult to specify a role if I am not a Minister, but I will at least continue what I have been doing - pushing for the direction I feel our civilization should be moving in, offering advice to the new President and Ministers and voting in polls. For that month, should any opportunities come up for positions of some kind, I would be more than happy, no, enthusiastic , to get involved in them, provided they were within my ability to do so.

If, at any point, the President/VP/Ministers had any doubts or questions they would like answered privately, they can rest assured I would help them to the best of my ability, without prejudging or flaming. The same goes for any citizen of our great nation. We are here to have fun, and to further the cause of Apolytonia above all else.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old October 9, 2002, 13:15   #27
WhiteBandit
Prince

Should I lose?
Well should I lose the election, I should also still be around. It is definitely a fun game to check out and participate in.

Since I wouldn't be a minister, I wouldn't have a direct role in shaping government policy, but I think that I could still be effective in pushing for certain strategies and ideas.

Whether I win or lose, there are still amendments and reforms that need to be worked on (regardless of the Con Con) such as defining regional ministers. Not to steal Ninot's idea of course, but I was thinking about this myself.

I support regional ministers and think they should be granted full authority and made an official position. Eventually we should make it a constitutional ammendment once we decide how to administer positions (keep in mind, we need to make provisions for expansion and new regions coming into play). If we can decide on a procedure on how new regions are created, say something like "each region may have 5 cities" so it would facilitate "automatically" creating a new minister spot for that position, then I would fully support it. This way, our constitution will be able to account for expansion, rather than defining in writing "There are X amount of regional administrators who will be in charge of Mingapulco, Pina Colada..." and having to amend our CoL every time we need a new region. Boy that was a ramble wasn't it. Well this should be one of the priorities, especially since the CP job is becoming an amazing hassle and takes over 2 - 3 hours to compile in some cases. Yes, a new CoL is being written soon, but this could provide them some new ideas to take into account and a pattern to follow.

But something like that can be persued whether I am a President or a regular citizen. I do plan to stick around and offer my suggestions and input on all sorts of government matters. Perhaps I could even consider joining the mini-game!

Old October 9, 2002, 17:05   #28
Ninot
Emperor

Should I lose the election, i will still lurch around the forums, stating opinions, getting involved in anything that catches my interest. But mostly, I'll be doing the same i've been doing for the past few terms. But maybe a little more forcefully.

And if I shouldn't win, or if I should win, I expect to run for something next term, depending on the situation then.
Old October 9, 2002, 18:51   #29
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 05:05
Regarding regions.... better check out what has gone on in my terms.... lots of threads regarding this, so before any more promices, please read them. Particularly the current CP campaing thread where I just posted.

How would you each make information more readily available to the people?

How would you organize things differently from the previous terms (particularly geared toward Ninot and MWIA, but WB please answer as well as you have been active)? I do not necessarily mean relative to your previous administrations.

What direction do you see our Civ taking? Peace, war, growth, exploration, etc. What is your Vision for our future?

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old October 9, 2002, 20:42   #30
Ninot
Emperor

To answer your questions backwards Godking....

I see peace and growth ahead for Apolyton. It has become obvious that we must grow our culture if we hope to keep pace, and with our current literacy rate, it is invevitable we will lag behind if we don't start building.

Now, as for how things would be organized...
I would still hope to keep a finely tuned ammount of topped threads. Ive always believed the less topped threads, the better things are. Also, as for information, I would keep it much like i did in my last term, in one main report thread, and now that many usefull threads have popped up (map threads for instance), I would hope to submitt any relevant information to those as well. But as for overall organization, I could only dream to make such a usefull index as Unorthodox did during MWIA's term, but I could simulate those efforts to the best of my ability, with the help of the VP of course.

As for the regional stuff, thanks for the heads up.