Old October 8, 2002, 09:41   #1
Turambar
Call to Power II Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 09:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
My Mental Mod
Ok here's my idea/plan for an as yet untitled mod:

1. New unit concept "War Leaders"

Basically these new units represent army leaders/generals and only one can be used per stack.

They will be upgradeble (the more they fight the better the chance of upgrading etc) to represent them becomeing better leaders and will become more powerful and transfer benefits to troops stacked with them such as veterancy etc.

I'm going to also try and implement personalities of a sort to them so they have things like a loyalty to their home city i.e if their home city is captured then they might decide to ignore you're orders and go and retake it with the troops they are currently grouped with or go to an enemy city for revenge etc.

Other things such as troop morale and loyalty to the leader they are stationed with I also will intend to put in as well the ability to bride assainate leaders.

This is currently the only part I've actually worked on so far and the upgrading part seems to work fine so far though I have to piece together the files from back ups after my last laptop died.

2. New goverment system.

I'm not sure where in the timeline etc this will fit in or exactly how but I would still really love to implement this.

The idea basically is that each city has a (in the early middle game anyway) Lord / Lady (some form of nobility) etc who represents it within the empire / goverment etc. They will represent the interests of their city as well as have their own personal aganda (i.e to gain power wealth etc).

2.1 Power

Positions within the Civ/empire/goverment could also be created and Lords appointed there such as "Chief Advisor", "Warden of the North" (A Lord in overall charge of the northern cities and their Lords) and others I've yet to think of .

Rivalries/alliance between certain cities etc could also be formed somehow with Lords trying get work their way up to a more powerful position etc (depends on a created personality etc).

This could also lead to things such as marriages between "Ruling families" and assainations etc.

2.2 New Trade System

Not sure if this would be possible....

Basically I'd like to see these Lords in charge of trade involving their cities within the Civ arranging trades etc with other Cities and Lords etc.

They'd get a percentage of the profit from the trade and the rest would go to the Civ as a whole (as usual).

2.3 Outside Influence

This new system could lead to other civs trying to take advantage of it by bribing power hungery lords to revolt or plot against you. A new unit or spy ability could be created for this purpose.

There's lot of stuff here and scope to add to it if it is possible but my overall aim would be to put in place an actual "Empire" where the player has to deal with problems from within it as well as from neigbouring civs.

3. Unique Units

Unlike Civ3 I'd like to do a more customised version of this where you get UU's for a reason. For example if you use archers alot in combat then your civ could be awarded the ability to make a unique archer unit (Longbowman for example).

I know alot of this is very vague but most of it is just ideas floating around my head inspired by certain books I've read.

So.... what does everyone think of this? Is what I've thought of possible to do (my SLIC experiance isn't that huge yet)?
Old October 8, 2002, 10:33   #2
J Bytheway
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Local Time: 10:06
Wow! Ambitious, certainly. I think you can probably simulate most of this (with heavy use of messageboxes) but you might have problems with the trade (AFAIK noone has ever really manipulated trade significantly through SLIC).
Old October 8, 2002, 11:18   #3
Pedrunn
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 06:06
Quote:
I'm not sure where in the timeline etc this will fit in or exactly how but I would still really love to implement this.
Any timeline I think. Cities always had a local power. Although it should be more evident in feudal time.

I like your idea of lords but you were to vague.

And you know i have interest in the leader personalities.
-Jean Rostand
Old October 8, 2002, 11:23   #4
Turambar
Call to Power II Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Quote:
I like your idea of lords but you were to vague.
I know but as I said that part is really just something floating round in my head for which I've a hundred idea's for but find it difficult to write it down so it makes sense.

I won't start working on that until I've finished the Leader stuff. (I will send stuff to you soon as I can, honest ).
Old October 8, 2002, 13:17   #5
Daftpanzer
Warlord

IMO your idea for uu's being determined by your actions as opposed ot being pre-determined sounds great! Lots of possiblities there....

But, I dont know how it would work tho... In reality, the British built and used the first tanks, the British and French have more tanks than the Germans at the start of ww2, but Germans get the more efficient Panzers...

Then the Germans build and use the first jet fighters, and the Russians build lots and lots of migs, but the USA gets the best jet planes...

How exactly would you deside who gets the uu? Maybe it depends on technology or industry somehow, not just how many you use in combat?
Old October 8, 2002, 13:47   #6
mapfi
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II Multiplayer
Prince

Quote:
Then the Germans build and use the first jet fighters, and the Russians build lots and lots of migs, but the USA gets the best jet planes...
I'd seriously doubt that - recent simulated fights show that the MIG is still to be reckoned with.

As for your ideas Turambar - sounds great. Lots of work! And a very creative head needed for finding ways to implement them.
Old October 8, 2002, 19:32   #7
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 19:06
At the time, the MiG was the best jet fighter around.
Old October 13, 2002, 08:11   #8
Zaphod Beeblebrox
King

i'd really love a system with local lords or whatever (they aren't named lords in most countries anymore and may even be elected in a democratic way, but still local/regional interests offen differ from the overall interests in a nation, sometimes also going in common over national borders like for instances where parts of neighboring nations neighbour the same waterways/mountain ranges or religious/ideaologic/historic aspects differ more inside a nation than in a border region between the regions of different nations)

i think there is much material to be implemented in scenarios with lots of messageboxes, but i doubt it can be used proper in the random game
Old October 13, 2002, 09:41   #9
Turambar
Prince

I think it will be possible but a difficult to do.

Can anyone tell me how to find out how much gold and production a city produces each turn via SLIC?
Old October 13, 2002, 11:08   #10
Pedrunn
King

Quote:
Can anyone tell me how to find out how much gold and production a city produces each turn via SLIC?
The best fuctios i found to give info from a city were:
Code:
·         INT CityCollectingGood(city, good)
·         INT CityFoodDelta(city)
I never saw those two in action though.
and the built in variables
http://apolyton.net/ctp2/modificatio...cbuiltin.shtml

I had no luck finding about production
-Jean Rostand
Old October 13, 2002, 12:11   #11
Turambar
Prince

Thanks Pedrunn.

I found this on that page though:

Quote:
city.netcitygold - How much gold the city produced this turn
Which sounds like exactly what I want.
Old October 13, 2002, 12:47   #12
Turambar
Prince

So how would you find out about incoming/outgoing trade routes via SLIC?
Old October 13, 2002, 12:58   #13
Pedrunn
King

Code:
·         INT HasGood(location)
·         INT CityCollectingGood(city, good)
·         INT TradePoints(player)
·         INT TradePointsInUse(player)
·         INT TradeRoutes(player)
But i gues the best would be
Code:
city.goldfromtraderouts - How much gold the city got from trade routes this turn
There are some event you might find to be good stuff
-Jean Rostand
Old October 13, 2002, 13:01   #14
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 11:06
Quote:
[SIZE=1]Originally posted by Turambar[/SIZE=1]
So how would you find out about incoming/outgoing trade routes via SLIC?
If you just mean the gold brought in via trade thean just use this:

city.goldfromtraderouts

If you mean what good is being traded then the task is a lot more difficuilt.

Maybe this fuction works:

INT HasSameGoodAsTraded(player)
A somewhat confusing function.

But as the discription says: Possibly not usefull.
But if I could find out what this function does then a lot of stuff could be easier. Otherwise you have to log the SendGood event and extract the goods from it, and hope no player reloadslic.

-Martin
Old October 13, 2002, 13:05   #15
Turambar
Prince

Thanks!!

I'm not sure if this will be possible but is there any way to create/cancel trade routes via SLIC?
Old October 13, 2002, 13:11   #16
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 11:06
It is possible to create a trade route by using this event:

SendGood(int_t, city_t, city_t)
Send a good from one city to another

Unfortunatly canceling a trade route is not possible, via slic event call, because one of the arguments of this event is not possible to use in Slic:

KillTradeRoute(GEA_TradeRoute, int_t)
Kill a trade route

-Martin