Old October 8, 2002, 12:35   #1
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 05:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Are you (almost) ready for Monarch?
I've been meaning to post this for a week or two...

Arrian offered up this as a great starting position in that thread; it's also a great game!!

You have to be a bit of a warmonger, but I thought that it would be a very good intro to Monarch for those considering movin' on up.

I didn't finish it (AU 107 took priority), but Arrian won with Samurai.

Have fun!!
Attached Files:
File Type: sav arrian.sav (55.8 KB, 16 views)
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old October 8, 2002, 14:35   #2
Enriquillo
Warlord

Local Time: 10:06
gonna try this after finishing my dinner.

Let you know in about, ohh, 14 hours

I love warmongering, even though Civ3 was not build for warmongers like me. The fights are just too random
Old October 8, 2002, 15:29   #3
MyOlde
Prince

Local Time: 09:06
Hi Guys,

I just downloaded arrian.sav, but don't know how to open it. It's the first .SAV file I've downloaded so please explain. I tried Winzip32 but no luck.

Thanks.
Old October 8, 2002, 15:48   #4
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 01:06
You put in your Civ III save files folders.

Start Civ III

Choose load saved game.

Chose the one labeled arrian

Play the game

.SAV is the native file format for Civ III. You don't unzip it. You just open it like anyother save. At present .sav files come in two types with the same extension. In your autsave folder they are all saved uncompressed and they take a lot of space but they save much faster. When you chose to make a save manually Civ III makes a compressed save using a fairly standard compression .dll. which turned out to take too much time for the autosaves in the 1.21f patch so now with the 1.29f version only the manual saves are compressed.
Old October 8, 2002, 19:26   #5
MyOlde
Prince

Local Time: 09:06
Thanks, Ethelred.

Now that you've explained it, it seems perfectly simple. I'm always amazed at how easily I miss the obvious.
Old October 8, 2002, 22:48   #6
Enriquillo
Warlord

Sweet map, I never get starting places like that in a 'real' game

I got off to a great start, keeping up in military as well as science.
No wonders, but hey, I was nonstop producing settlers and spears to claim as much land as possible.

I decided to go after the Zulu first.
I build about 14 swordsmen and moved in. I destroyed one town and took their capital with the Pyramids.
I lost way too many swordsmen, leaving me all but helpless to defend against his remaining army

This game must have the worst combat system ever.
I'll continue tomorrow, and finish the Zulu once and for all before moving on to the Chinese I guess. I'm gonna wait for samurai though!
Old October 9, 2002, 09:55   #7
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

The combat system is what it is. The best way to deal with it is to use large numbers of troops and use fast attackers. Oh, and try to avoid the Zulu in the ancient age!

I fought them too, and took hideous casualties. But I hurt them worse than they hurt me. They were the last neighboring civ to go down, though. Even Samurai have trouble with Impi in size 7+ cities.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old October 9, 2002, 18:29   #8
Enriquillo
Warlord

Decided to replay this game, did pretty much the same thing.

Skipped all early wonders, went after the zulu with about 20 swordsmen this time, the Zulu became extinct after a few turns

Went for Tsun's wonder which invoked my Golden Age and all but annihilated the Babylonians with my Samurai streaming from almost 10 cities, hehe!
Only one hero after fighting for a long time
Left 3 of their cities as a buffer between me and the Persians.
I think it's about 700 AD atm.
Was trying to decide what to do with my hero and got bored and quit. I had to go eat anyways.

I'll play for a bit more before going to sleep (civ and sleep, right...)
Gonna try and finish off the Persians with my remaining Samurai, maybe even the Indians as well. That would leave only the Chinese, probably best to wait for Cavalry to take on their Riders.

Let you know later...
Old October 9, 2002, 18:34   #9
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Don't upgrade all the Samurai... combined arms of them and Cavs is awesome. You'll eat Riders for lunch.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old October 9, 2002, 21:07   #10
Enriquillo
Warlord

Ok, it's 990 AD now, Babylonians have one city left.
I'm trying to stay friends with the Persians for now while concentrating on taking out the Indians and the last remaining Bab city.
This will isolate the Chinese and leave the Persians on the peninsula to the south.

Also, I've just started sailing east and am about to land on blue (don't know who that is yet, french?). Hopefully I'll be able to start a moneymaking traderoute with them, I got tons of resources to spare and my fellow continentals don't have the money to pay for them

One complaint though, I've been fighting almost all the time and have only gotten one leader
I used that one to build Smith's trading company, I love that wonder. I'm currently making about 250 gpt while researching at about 7 turns a tech (one tech away from cav).

Time for bed now, talk to ya later.
Old October 10, 2002, 10:32   #11
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Enriquillo,

Good to know you're playing it out. The GL thing is rough... sometimes the RNG just won't help you out. I was luckier.

MyOlde,

How are you doing? Did you play it?

I'm curious because I had a blast playing this map and I love hearing about how others did (kinda like the AU games... I know, Theseus, I need to get back into those).

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old October 10, 2002, 10:59   #12
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 11:06
I think this is a creation from ARRIAN too IIRC.

"So very cold" style type of game
Attached Files:
File Type: zip difficult.zip (15.2 KB, 0 views)
Old October 10, 2002, 11:27   #13
Arrian
Deity

?

Old October 10, 2002, 11:36   #14
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 11:06
I thought you posted this map a few months ago.
I could be completely wrong though