Old October 8, 2002, 20:52   #1
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 01:07
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Foreign Ministy Campaign
I have created this thread and reposted this post from the Nominations thread at Unorthodox's request. The following post has been copied and pasted here:

I've been waiting to see if Nimitz changed his mind, but I guess he hasn't. And while I still don't understand why he wants to run against me, I welcome the challange.

Nimitz -- Please answer these questions for me. Why are you running for FAM? What is your platform? Are you unhappy with how I've run things or do you just want to be in control of foriegn affairs? And lastly, is this a DIA thing?

If you expect to be elected because of party affailiation (because I don't have a party behind me) you'll be dissapointed. I think that you'll find that Apolytonia isn't a two party nation. Most of the people could care less about which party a candidate comes from. They want the person who will do the best job.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old October 9, 2002, 14:56   #2
Nimitz
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG LegolandNever Ending StoriesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Local Time: 04:07
I'm not running against you for party reasons or because I think your doing a bad job it because this is what I like to do (Foreign Ministery) and so there is a real race for this position.
Old October 9, 2002, 16:37   #3
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Nimitz -- Do you have any campaign platform or policies you'd like to discuss? Why should the people elect you?

As for me, I've been in office for two months now. I'm pretty sure the people are familiar with the Foreign Ministry team, threads, and activities. It's a difficult job but the Ministry (myself and my team) have really carried through for the country. I can't take all the credit, because I have some excellent people working with me, but I would like to continue our tradition and policies into a third term and finish up what I started just two months ago.

With the CoL the way it is, this would be my final term and I'd like to make the best of it. I believe my leadership and judgement have helped to make our office a model bureaucracy, and I'd like one last month to finish things off on a positive note as our nation heads into a peaceful and prosperous period.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old October 9, 2002, 19:50   #4
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Local Time: 05:07
I would like to see less of the warmongering strategy... lets try to work together with our neighbours, while we build up our homeland. What is both of your replies to this?
Old October 9, 2002, 23:21   #5
Togas
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Panzer32
I would like to see less of the warmongering strategy... lets try to work together with our neighbours, while we build up our homeland. What is both of your replies to this?
Ah HA! Finally. A question.

This office controls the ability to make peace and make alliances. It has signifigant power to promote or deter war and conquest.

I have never chosen to use that power to direct, delay, hinder, or promote a "warmongering strategy." This office has been used to faithfully aid and assist in whatever strategy the nation has followed.

Historically, the nation as a whole has been on a conquest path and it has lead us to become the greatest Civilization on the continent, and this office has assisted with that. Should we switch to a more industrious strategy, this office will follow suit without hesitation.

As for "working together with our neighbors," I would prefer to remain at peace (as we have negotiated all of our peace treaties, except America, to last another 20 years), as that is what we have planned in our long term mission. However, I cannot say that I want to work "together" with our neighbors, other than economically.

I don't like alliances that much. I don't do MPPs. I disdain RoP agreements. And I just don't trust the AI, period. We once had a program where we gave tech to "charity" nations, but that program ceased when a charity suddenly had tech we didn't have ... and wouldn't give us a good price for it.

Our neighbors are our competition. I'm happy with peaceful competition, but I have no qualms with using every dirty trick I know to foil any nation that dares to spill Apolytonia blood, or steal our resources.

--Togas
Old October 9, 2002, 23:34   #6
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Togas has done a great job thus far as FAM, and I have nothing against seeing him in as another term

However, I do take notice at the first post of this thread.

Why must he be asked if he is running against you because he is either 1: in a party or 2: unhappy with your efforts?

Quote:
Nimitz -- Please answer these questions for me. Why are you running for FAM? What is your platform? Are you unhappy with how I've run things or do you just want to be in control of foriegn affairs? And lastly, is this a DIA thing?

If you expect to be elected because of party affailiation (because I don't have a party behind me) you'll be dissapointed. I think that you'll find that Apolytonia isn't a two party nation. Most of the people could care less about which party a candidate comes from. They want the person who will do the best job.
I don't think Nimitz, or any candidate for ANY position, should have to pass a test before they become a "valid" candidate. If someone wants to run for a job, it is their right, no matter the reason. And scrutiny seems... confuzing to me.

no offense to anyone intended of course. I just wonder why you have to ask him why hes running.
Old October 9, 2002, 23:57   #7
Togas
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ninot
I don't think Nimitz, or any candidate for ANY position, should have to pass a test before they become a "valid" candidate. If someone wants to run for a job, it is their right, no matter the reason. And scrutiny seems... confuzing to me.

no offense to anyone intended of course. I just wonder why you have to ask him why hes running.
I was trying to get a debate or conversation started up with Nimitz. I also didn't understand his motives at the time for running, so I decided to ask him to see what the campaign was going to be about so that I knew what I was facing.

You know, challange the opposition a bit at the beginning of the campaign? That kinda fun stuff.

Anyhow, I think it was for the best because I found out that Nimitz isn't one of those disgruntal types who is running out of a party bias or a platfom bias or whatnot. He's a good guy who really enjoys the Foreign Ministry. So much so that he asked me for a job in it last term. If he loses the race I'll keep him as one of my deputies.

I'm pleased at his answer because it tells me that we're going to have a positive campaign -- we're two guys who really enjoy this job -- and probably maintain a good working relationship regardless of how this thing turns out.

--Togas
Old October 10, 2002, 13:12   #8
Togas
Emperor

So, uh, anyone else want to ask us questions?

Nimitz? Anything you want to discuss or debate?

It's a slow week in the office for me. I've got plenty of time to chat.

--Togas
Old October 10, 2002, 13:34   #9
Nimitz
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG LegolandNever Ending StoriesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Ok, you ask for questions. What direction do you think Apolytonia should head in, should we stop wars for the time being and start building or keep on fighting?

I think after America we should wait for a good while before another war unless its defencive.
Old October 10, 2002, 13:54   #10
Togas
Emperor

Frankly, I agree with you, Nimitz, but I don't think it's possible. We're going to have to get ourselves into another war in the near future in order to trigger the much delayed Golden Age.

--Togas
Old October 10, 2002, 14:01   #11
Nimitz
King

You see as I said last time I agree with most your policys.
Old October 10, 2002, 14:04   #12
Nimitz
King

This campain is is going to be about who you think will do the job better and not who s policys you like better.
Old October 10, 2002, 15:54   #13
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Local Time: 05:07
Quote:
This campain is is going to be about who you think will do the job better and not who s policys you like better.
If that is true, does Togas have an advantage?

How will you compete with his experience?

(Boy this is fun...)
Old October 10, 2002, 16:01   #14
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

I'll go ahead and ask one... I guess this is probably directed towards Nimitz a bit since I know some of Togas' plans, but I'd like to hear what both canidates think...

As some of you may or may not know, interest in being Foreign Ministry deputies was (as of last term, anyway) very high. Clearly, we want to reduce overlap between the deputies, keep active people on the 'payroll' , and have some sort of logical structure that allows as many interested people as possible to participate.

What do both of you think of a potential three-pronged type structure? Minister (potentially Vice Minsiter as well if you like that system), Intelligence (Responsible for monitoring the other nations and their actions), and Advisory (Responsible for advising on general foreign policy and coming up with specific deals).

Just thought I might get a bit of discussion flowing on that topic, since it's not an easy one, and I'd like to hear what both Canidates think...

-- adaMada
Old October 10, 2002, 16:01   #15
Nimitz
King

By learning from him and doing my best to better then he does and term limits. Thats why we have term limits so a select few don't rule the government forever it allows new talent to be elected.
Old October 10, 2002, 16:09   #16
Nimitz
King

[sarcasm]I think the office should keep growing till its unmanageable.[/sarcasm]

I like the current system of a Vice and three Deputies Policy, Trade, and Global Advisory.
Old October 10, 2002, 16:15   #17
Togas
Emperor

Next term, if I'm elected, I plan to do something of the sort that Ada is saying. I'll divide the work up like this:

Trade -- If we get E_T back, I'll be releaved. This is a very time consuming job, and he was excellent. If not, I'll be interviewing someone to take over as Trade Advisor.

Policy -- One, possibly two deputies if I can find the work. These are advisors and people responsible for not just suggesting changes to current policies, but coming up with new ones. Policy rules everything else, it's a key position in the Ministry. Policy dictates who we prefer to trade with, what we will trade for, who we would side with, what demands we'll give into, when and if peace should be renegotiated, etc.

Everyone on the team assisted with Policy last term, but I will focus it more if I get some serious interest. adaMada and Nimitz were primarily Policy deputies, but E_T and Gepap influenced.

Espionage/Intel -- One, possibly two deputies who turn out reports on what our neighbors are up to and who analyze information we have about our neighbors and possible threats. Gepap's job last term fell into this category, E_T also did a bit of Intel work for us. I have offered a job to History Guy as Deputy Minister of Foreign Intelligence should he fail in his election (and should I be relected). We'll work early on to give him some specific duties and get him also involved.

Of course, adaMada would remain Vice Minister, and in charge of the office while I was away or unavailable. I have no plans to change the current Ministry team at all, just add a person or two, divide up the work a bit better, and enjoy my final month working with these guys.

--Togas
Old October 10, 2002, 16:22   #18
Nimitz
King

Togas want to role playing an arguements in this?
Old October 10, 2002, 16:22   #19
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Might I make one proposal for you guys?

I think we could have one person who's responsible for tracking 'numbers'. For instance, by checking how much it costs to buy WM/TMs per Civ each turnchat, we can tell if they've discovered anything or founded a new city. Other numbers could be added as well, especially how much raw cash it costs to buy from the other Civs. Perhaps each civ's Gold/GPT ratio as well (assuming each civ has a different one)? I can think of lots of numbers that could be kept track of...

This could be added to another job, but I think a Deputy of Foreign Finance (or some other appropriate name) could be useful.

-- adaMada
Old October 10, 2002, 16:44   #20
Togas
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Nimitz
Togas want to role playing an arguements in this?
Sure. I don't mind.

Ada -- If we have someone who wants to help us out with keeping track of the numbers, I'd appreciate it. I considered that to be part of the Trade Deputy's job, or Intel's job. It needs to be flexible, as we don't always know who can make it to the turnchats. The team approach has worked well so far, but I wouldn't object to any additional help, especially in this area.

--Togas
Old October 10, 2002, 17:19   #21
adaMada
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Togas
Ada -- If we have someone who wants to help us out with keeping track of the numbers, I'd appreciate it. I considered that to be part of the Trade Deputy's job, or Intel's job. It needs to be flexible, as we don't always know who can make it to the turnchats. The team approach has worked well so far, but I wouldn't object to any additional help, especially in this area.

--Togas
Yea, I was just thinking about what jobs we could use in general, and that's the most useful of all the ones I've thought of so far... It probably wouldn't require that they be able to make it to turnchats, just that they can spend a bit of time with a .sav after each one is posted plugging numbers.

Considering the number of applicants we had last time, I'm betting someone'd be interested in the job...

-- adaMada