Old October 9, 2002, 07:01   #1
jim_steer
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton University
Warlord

Local Time: 09:08
Local Date: November 1, 2010
New Gamespy Preview
Incase anyone hasn't seen it.

http://www.gamespy.com/previews/october02/civ3ptw/
Old October 9, 2002, 08:26   #2
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

Local Time: 10:08
I read the review, very cool, some conformations, but I didn't realize the Celts are mil/exp. I can't remember a huge Celtic Empire in my history classes, where as thier clone-civ mongols (also mil/exp) did. Can someone correct me or did firaxis just not think the other traits were celtic enough?

And I don't get something, do the radar towers not only up your defence but give you 2 square vision? So an outpost would only be worth it on a hill or mountian? and you build an outpost and radar tower on the same square? I assume not.
Old October 9, 2002, 09:15   #3
jim_steer
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton University
Warlord

The celts ruled A fair bit of Europe (well Britain, France and Germany) before the romans turned up. There have been a few posts on this forum that give some great links to celtic history sites and arguments about their attributes.

Hopefully outpost will just be a hybrid of the radar tower and the fortress but without the 2 square radius area of effect. I am not too sure about this and I dont remember seeing any posts explaining exactly what they are.
Old October 9, 2002, 09:26   #4
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 04:08
Quote:
Originally posted by aahz_capone
And I don't get something, do the radar towers not only up your defence but give you 2 square vision? So an outpost would only be worth it on a hill or mountian? and you build an outpost and radar tower on the same square? I assume not.
An outpost can be built in ancient times, a Radar Tower is late Industrial. A Radar Tower also increases attack.
Old October 9, 2002, 09:33   #5
WarpStorm
King

An outpost just increases visibility 2, 3 or 4 spaces depending on the terrain (and keeps barbs at bay since they won't build camps anywhere visible).
Old October 9, 2002, 13:34   #6
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 03:08
I have to admit that I am bit concerned with the new UU's. I hope they will be well balanced compared to the already existing units.
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old October 9, 2002, 13:56   #7
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

hmmmm.... yes, the conquistadors will wreak havoc left right and center with their scout type movement. (crossing 6 mountian sqaures in one turn!!!!)

But I'm confident that Firaxis will make the UU's expensive enough. The question is, can finance have THAT much impact? Or do they have to make it so expensive that by the time you finish making one unit it is out of date?
Old October 9, 2002, 15:28   #8
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Does anyone know exactly when PTW is coming out?
Old October 9, 2002, 17:18   #9
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I don't think we do, no.

The Firaxis guys always say "Soon." when we ask them, but nothing has been annnounced, which is a little odd.

When it is announced, though, Apolyton will be one of the first places to carry the news, so keep watching this space.

(Can I have my endorsement fee now Markos? )
Old October 10, 2002, 07:53   #10
aahz_capone
Prince

I know that in europe it's out 22 nv. I think i USA on the 23 oct.
Old October 10, 2002, 09:05   #11
jim_steer
Warlord

I love the way software companies release games in Europe about a month after the US it just encorages piracy. Suppose I have to go on alt.binaries.cd.image.games around the 23 of October then. I will probably buy PTW when it comes out here but i am buggered if i am waiting a month longer for it.
Old October 10, 2002, 10:22   #12
WarpStorm
King

I'd be shocked if it was out in the states on the 23rd of October. EB Games is saying the 30th, and I've never known them to be later than the real release date (earlier, yes).
Old October 10, 2002, 10:34   #13
jim_steer
Warlord

It would have to go gold today or likely last week if they were going to make the 23rd.
Old October 11, 2002, 10:15   #14
Buster13
Civilization III PBEM
Chieftain

I thought release wasn't supposed to be until November, not that it wouldn't be a welcome surprise if it came earlier....

I always thought of the celts as more Mil/Rel...I mean, they did build Stonehenge...if you consider the Druids part of the Celtic society or culture...or am I forgetting my history?

It looks like a good expansion, though...I'm particularly pleased to see that you will no longer be stuck on your diplomacy screen with only 8 civs when there is 16 in the game.
Old October 11, 2002, 11:35   #15
Nyl
Settler

Didn't I read somewhere you can have 24 civs in the game at the same time with the expansion?
Old October 11, 2002, 11:45   #16
Buster13
Civilization III PBEM
Chieftain

Oh yeah, I mean 24....

Either way...I hated having to post a unit out somewhere just to be able to see a unit of another civ so I could ask him to "Take me to your leader!".
Old October 11, 2002, 12:18   #17
WarpStorm
King

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the F4 display will still have only 8 slots even in a 24 player game (look at the screenshots).

FWIW, you could always contact any civ that you'd ever met at any time using the hot key or the little 'D' button on the lower right data panel.
Old October 11, 2002, 13:24   #18
Buster13
Civilization III PBEM
Chieftain

Thanks for the info...guess I'm just not paying attention...

Yeah, I know there's only 8 civs on the screenshot, but in the upper left corner of that screen it has a button that says "More Civs"...which in my mind must show your the other targets...I mean civs...that you are playing against.

But then again...I could be just dreaming.
Old October 11, 2002, 13:34   #19
WarpStorm
King

It does the same thing as the Shift-Right Click button.
Old October 13, 2002, 00:06   #20
Falconius
Prince

The ability to name units! I'm ecstatic! I'm having a religious experience!

Yeah, I know a lot of you think its a useless frill, but I think it adds so much color to a game like Civ. Finally, you can give cool names to units that won key victories. "The ColdStream Guards", "1st Cav, 2nd Div", "Falconius' Flying Frenchmen", etc, etc.

This, more than any other aspect, is the reason I'll buy PTW.