View Poll Results: Should we let nicknames be used as citynames?
Aye 13 41.94%
Nay 16 51.61%
They should at least involve these characters: {B,a,n,a,n,a,} , also meaning No 2 6.45%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 9, 2002, 17:18   #1
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 10:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
National survey: Should citynames be nicknames?
The cities of Apolytonia has indeed a lot of strange names.
Now, there are discussions about changes... Read it!
But now I ask you my fellow countrymen:
No matter how stupid they might sound,
Should our nicknames be used as citynames?
Old October 9, 2002, 17:26   #2
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 11:09
IMHO our cities should have names that everyone can sympathize with, meaning no nicknames.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old October 9, 2002, 17:29   #3
ThePlagueRat
King

Error in set {B,a,n,a,n,a,} By the math rule this set is actually
{B,a,n} since there are more than one occurence of n and a .
Sorry, my mistake!
Old October 9, 2002, 18:35   #4
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 05:09
I say if a person named it, no matter what that name be, it would be an insult to that person to change it.

Thus leave it alone.

If not named by anyone, we have no reason to not change it. Thus post for ideas, and go ahead.

Once a perminent name is decided upon, it should not be changed. Period. THIS HAS CAUSED CONFUSION IN OUR ORDERS (which if you don't know is a bad thing).

The only reason I could see changing a perminant name is if the person was disgraced and the city name change is part of his punishment, as determined by the courts.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old October 9, 2002, 18:47   #5
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 04:09
GK,

We could always allow current nick-inspired city names to be grandfathered and simply disallow them in the future. Future ministers might complain, but that's just tough.
Old October 9, 2002, 18:52   #6
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Future is future. I am not concerned so much with them, as I am sure that whatever occures will be reasonable fair and just. I am conserned with preserving our history.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old October 9, 2002, 19:49   #7
jdd2007
NationStates
King

sure. names like tassagrad and ubergorsk are far better than many of the other names. timeline may going a little too far, but we elected them, so allow them to name cities whatever they like
Old October 9, 2002, 20:13   #8
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 03:09
You bet.
Old October 9, 2002, 20:44   #9
Reddawg
Prince

I do think there is something a little tacky about naming cities after various people... buuut then, where do you think state-names like Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Maryland came from?

In any case, if we are going to allow ministers to name cities, which is the precedent, they should be allowed to name it pretty much whatever they want. And I am definitely opposed to changing any names now, it's just too much trouble.

But in the next game, I think a more democratic process should be established; or a method used to name them which will allow for more consistency within the names. For the sake of role-playing.
Old October 9, 2002, 20:50   #10
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Back in the day (late July I think), I was wondering what to name my city. Many people actually supported something that had to do with my name. I settled on Geofront though.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old October 9, 2002, 20:52   #11
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Timeline was an egoist, we all know that.
Old October 9, 2002, 20:53   #12
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

I remember when a certain city was going to be named Uberosk but it was decided that wasn't correct Russian.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old October 9, 2002, 20:56   #13
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Apocalypse
I remember when a certain city was going to be named Uberosk but it was decided that wasn't correct Russian.
i forgot the g i was copying it from the city "Magnetogorsk" from civ2, and i assumed the g was in the first portion of the word.

Old October 9, 2002, 21:11   #14
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Reddawg
I do think there is something a little tacky about naming cities after various people... buuut then, where do you think state-names like Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Maryland came from?
Speaking of which...

Reddawg, I know you're a student at UVA, but what is your original hometown (or at least where did you go to high school)? I'm living in NoVA, as my 'loc' indicates

Also speaking of which...

I believe we should jointly lobby for a city to be named after either a city or landmark in the glorious Commonwealth or should be named after the Commonwealth itself! You know the poem about what it is "to be a Virginian", no? (chuckle)
Old October 9, 2002, 21:16   #15
Apocalypse
Emperor

I will probably go to the Virginia Military Institute next year.
Old October 9, 2002, 21:49   #16
Arnelos
Emperor

Quote:
I will probably go to the Virginia Military Institute next year.
Really? A close friend of my little brother was a cadet there until he decided to switch services and go into the Navy (dunno exactly why).
Old October 9, 2002, 21:53   #17
Apocalypse
Emperor

Strange....VMI has all three branches of ROTC. Don't see why he'd need to leave.
Old October 9, 2002, 22:22   #18
Arnelos
Emperor

Quote:
Strange....VMI has all three branches of ROTC. Don't see why he'd need to leave.
He's enrolling in the Naval Academy in Annapolis if I recall correctly... he'd have to leave if he wanted to do that. I'm not sure about that, but I think that's what I remember him telling us.
Old October 10, 2002, 10:03   #19
ThePlagueRat
King

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
Timeline was an egoist, we all know that.
When I voted for him, I was looking at his nice ideals in which i agreed with. I did not realize that a city would be called Timeline.

I think our friend Timeline is a nice guy , but that cityname was not neccessary.
Old October 10, 2002, 10:22   #20
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

It might be interesting if our capital worked like Leningrad and the first part changed to the name of our current president.

Timelinegrad
Ninotgrad
Mistergrad
Opedgrad
Banditgrad............
Old October 10, 2002, 10:54   #21
ThePlagueRat
King

Hmm... Ghengis, look. OPD (no offense) just does'nt look like a cityname. You see, you had to spell it "opedgrad".

That's been the point all the way. We already have cities
with abbreviations. And that's what I want to get rid of.
My conclusion: A nick is one thing, a city is another .
Old October 10, 2002, 12:16   #22
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

I agree that some nicks don't work for city names but to dictate that no citizen's name may be used for a city seems somewhat extreme. Tassagrad and Ghengistown sound perfectly fine to me, as I often name cities after a GL or event or nearby landmark.

Historically, most cities and places are named after individuals: Washington DC, Lincoln NE, Virginia, Georgia, Pennsylvania, Rome, Constantine, Alexandria, Ceasarea, Williamsburg, Jamestown, and after a group of people: Paris, Britain, England, France, and Germany etc.

To say that no city can be named after a derivation of a citizens name takes away one of the things that makes the Democracy game enjoyable. The fact that members can pretend they are a part of this imaginary world and we are part of the civilization we are building.

The tradition of allowing ministers to name a city is the ONLY way we have been able to successfully generate city names. I have had a poll up for name suggestions for a week and how many city names suggestions did I get?

Four people legitimately suggested a city be renamed to a name they submitted. Only one, "Toyota City" was seconded. A few people just threw out names, but many were simply jokes they were making. You suggested ONE name for AGC and none for these cities you rant about. Did you suggest an alternate for Timeline? No.

The only other possibilities I see are to:
1) Assign an office holder the power of city naming or create a city naming post.
2) Leave the names the computer assigns cities and allow NO ONE to change them.
3) Same as 2, but allow each minister to name one city.
Old October 10, 2002, 12:39   #23
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

I like n° 2, with two minor adjustments :

- Each minister names one city by term as a reward for being elected ;

- If conquered cities are renamed, the capital is not ; keeping the historical name shows that the empire is made of several formerly independant kingdoms, eventually united under the Empire banner.
Old October 11, 2002, 11:19   #24
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 11:09
hi ,

nay , we should stick at the current way ....

have a nice day