Old October 10, 2002, 03:11   #1
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 02:10
Local Date: November 1, 2010
How to counter the horseman rush
OK so the AI has made me lazy. I admit I use horseman rushes. But of course we will be playing human players. And people often told me in civ2 mp rushes can be countered. I never had civ2 gold so I cannot say for sure.

So what can be done to counter fast unit rushes (horseman, knights, riders, calvary, tanks etc.)? And what can be done to counter that counter. What is the optimum attack force?

enlighten me
Old October 10, 2002, 07:09   #2
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 04:10
Counter-attack. Build a "defensive" force of fast movers too.

In addition, the much maligned catapults, etc. work good in a defensive role.

Remember to build your cities in defendable spots. Putting it on a hill with walls does increase the defense.

Contrary to what Speedy says, :P the late game will get more defensive. I figured with the new buildings and radar towers an maximally defending Mech Infantry can have a defense as high as 67.5. In that case the question becomes, "How the hell do I dislodge that?"
Old October 10, 2002, 07:32   #3
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 11:10
Horseman attacks veteran fortified spearman--->
retreats leaving one or two HP on the spearman---> repeat X times.
Next turn take all wounded horseman with your own.
Old October 10, 2002, 08:44   #4
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

yeah, a fortified spear will have a higher defense then a horseman's attack.

Defense in general has a lot of advantages: closer to centers of production, closer to barracks for healing, fortification/city/terrain defensive bonuses, etc. An attacking force needs to be superior (tech, numbers, strategy, etc) to succeed; only an unprepared defender will fall easily to strike units.
Old October 10, 2002, 11:46   #5
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

Local Time: 10:10
Quote:
Contrary to what Speedy says, :P the late game will get more defensive. I figured with the new buildings and radar towers an maximally defending Mech Infantry can have a defense as high as 67.5. In that case the question becomes, "How the hell do I dislodge that?"

I have one answer to that Randolph...

N U K U L A R - W E P O N Z ! ! !

MUH HA HA HAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAAAAA!!!

BAHHAHA HAHAHAAAAAAA!!!!

Last edited by aahz_capone; October 10, 2002 at 12:59.
Old October 10, 2002, 14:37   #6
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

theoretically my horseman should never defeat a spearman, esp in a city. But they do all the time.

but of course if the city is on hills, it becomes quite difficult.

Is it viable to build that many cities on hills? Does it affect their production in any way? The disadvantage of course is I can't build a mine on that hill. What other things does that affect?

And radar towers, I didn't even realize we had them . those could be of some use playing against humans.
Old October 10, 2002, 14:39   #7
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

It does seem the best defense is a good offense. That is what I've always use. Aside from the token spearman, it is silly to defend your nation with just defensive unit.

Even the ai can whallop me if I allow them access to my territory. If they pin me to my cities I'm screwed. This is why I always wage war on their territory if at all possible.

So my theory is the best way to counter the horseman rush, is to have horseman of your own.
Old October 10, 2002, 14:40   #8
WarpStorm
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
Is it viable to build that many cities on hills? Does it affect their production in any way? The disadvantage of course is I can't build a mine on that hill. What other things does that affect?
A town on a hill generates 2 food and one shield plus trade as normal. The only other big negative I've discovered is that it is not considered irrigated for building an irrigation chain.
Old October 10, 2002, 16:53   #9
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

yes. the roaming "fast mover offensive defense". I remember pleading for it in the demogame....

beautiful

anyway, i'm thinking fortresses may be more valueable in MP for the "free shot" it could give. if your border with a hostile human is 10 tiles wide, 5 fortresses could easily slow them down long enough for you to notice their advances, and route troops as needed.
Old October 10, 2002, 18:41   #10
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
And radar towers, I didn't even realize we had them . those could be of some use playing against humans.
We don't, they will come with PTW.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old October 10, 2002, 22:25   #11
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

yup, indeed, fortresses will become much more important.
Huge battles in the open field, just to gain a few tiles on a choke point.

hmm, at last, combined arms and invassions from several sides . At least until railroads
Old October 11, 2002, 00:22   #12
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

stacking will be even more important, but human players will prolly force you to divert and build more than couple of stacks since if it is just one stack, their offensive can avoid it or let zillions of defender in city try its luck.
Old October 11, 2002, 00:25   #13
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

The key is to have more info on your opponent that he has on you.
Old October 11, 2002, 05:23   #14
kolpo
Prince

Local Time: 09:10
If you are the celts: reply with a swordman rush

Last edited by kolpo; October 11, 2002 at 05:41.
Old October 11, 2002, 16:06   #15
ruby_maser
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 03:10
Mongols
I will probably fear the Mongol keshik rush the most because of how fast they are gonna be, combined with how cheap they are gonna be.
"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi
Old October 11, 2002, 20:22   #16
CiverDan
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Lux InvictaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Roleplay
Prince

The key to stopping a horsemen rush is mostly having enough vet (hopefully) spears in your outer cities. The last thing ur opponent wants to do is help u generate leaders while u defend sucessfully, so the presence of enough defensive units will make your opponent think twice.

Knight era: in addition to enough defensive units, enough fast moving units of ur own to defend will help, since with 100 culture u can force a move 2 unit to expose himself before attacking (3 move UU's could still be a problem here) a few catapults can help too.

Cavalry: lots of artillery and get railroaded quick. Artillery allows u to damage the first few attacking units. Railroad can let u stack ur defense of the vulnerable citise very rapidly.

Tanks: Air power and artillery will be important by this point. Tank could be last more to mop up duty after your stack of 20 (mech) infantry/artillery finish pounding the city. Bombers will only be effective in masses, and in locations like flat terrian where arty is harder to defend.
Old October 12, 2002, 02:38   #17
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

The best way to defend it is to meet the opponent on the field of battle instead of letting him get to your cities. A similar offensive army on your part will stop that silliness.
Old October 12, 2002, 11:53   #18
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming
The best way to defend it is to meet the opponent on the field of battle instead of letting him get to your cities. A similar offensive army on your part will stop that silliness.
Ming, I challenge you to a game of Civ3 PTW, mano y mano.

If I lose, I'll give you TEN AMERICAN DOLLARS.

if you lose, you give me YOUR MOD POWERS FOR A DAY, AND THE PROMISE OF NO RETALLIATION FOR ANYTHING I DID WITH MY TEMPORARY POWERS.

Old October 12, 2002, 13:03   #19
alva
Deity

Are we gonna play for money now

Mark: I bet there is some money to be made here :dollar:

Open a special forum and get 10% of the bets
Old October 13, 2002, 05:14   #20
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

UK... Not enough money on your side for what you are asking in return
Old October 14, 2002, 20:18   #21
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming
Do you play Civ 3 much? I think it's better to let them close to your cities where your artillery is protected and able to damage enemy units, while remaining safe inside the city. Outside the city they are toast really easily because of their slow movement.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old October 14, 2002, 20:31   #22
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

that's assuming you use artillary. I still haven't gotten around to using them

But in the ancient age letting the enemy close within your cities is a death wish.

I find Vet Spearman do not defend well against horseman. They should, but they don't. Even within a city with wall the ai will tear my vet spearman apart. I never let the ai withing my territory. Or if they do get in my territory I never let them next to my cities.
Old October 15, 2002, 00:18   #23
zorbop
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 03:10
this topic brings up an interesting point. The hardly-used impi is very good for fending off horsemen attacks(horsemen then can't retreat, making horsemen equivilent to archers). I also find charriots and aztec warriors good for counter attack too.

as for kninghts, the sammuri UU is incredible for defence and attack or just wieght for gunpowder.

The secret to defending against cavalry is a decent defence of musketmen (2-3), fortified, walled.... And an easy way of counter attack against the cavalry. (i prefer swordsmen or longbowmen).

im not really sure with tanks, by then there tends to not be very much less to attack me.l
Old October 15, 2002, 11:43   #24
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 05:10
"How to counter the horseman rush"

Playing Zululand or Greece or maybe Rome (though this requires some luck with getting iron) would be a good plan.

The Aztecs offer interesting pillage 'n run possibilities. It's hard to build a unit when you can't connect the necessary resouce.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old October 16, 2002, 08:43   #25
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

Local Time: 10:10
Quote:
Originally posted by Tuberski

Do you play Civ 3 much? I think it's better to let them close to your cities where your artillery is protected and able to damage enemy units, while remaining safe inside the city. Outside the city they are toast really easily because of their slow movement.
I actually think it depends on when technologically speaking, you are fighting. If its in the age of infantry, and I've got enough artillery, I let their cavalry go straight for my cities, where they get chewed up. But if they have tanks I fly out to meet them on the field, since infantry is crappy against tanks. This kind of switching in tactics happens for me all through histroy, as the progression between slow/defencive and fast/offensive units goes back and forth.
Old October 16, 2002, 11:24   #26
metalhead
Warlord

Local Time: 05:10
Easy solution - play a Mil/Sci Civ (Deutschland) and charge with archer/spear stacks before your nearby opponents get horses. They can't rush you with horsemen if you've destroyed them already
Old October 16, 2002, 13:30   #27
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by aahz_capone

I actually think it depends on when technologically speaking, you are fighting. If its in the age of infantry, and I've got enough artillery, I let their cavalry go straight for my cities, where they get chewed up. But if they have tanks I fly out to meet them on the field, since infantry is crappy against tanks. This kind of switching in tactics happens for me all through histroy, as the progression between slow/defencive and fast/offensive units goes back and forth.
Of course the problem against cavs and riders and Mas is that damn 3rd move

Perhaps this will force more cultural development, to get 100 cpts to expand out.

Hmm. Maybe I would have 3 rings around each city. closest-forest, then plain, then forest. That way the cavs would end either on the plains or the forest adjacent to the city. On plains they could be wiped out, on the forest I could bombard to kill, then mop up with the regulars.

Of course, that is a somewhat useless idea, as it would take too long to develop and the game will probably be over before cavs

Anyway, will be interesting

I love how the game switches from offensive to defensive eras and back again, very cool.
Old October 17, 2002, 04:36   #28
alva
Deity

There could be a new use for planting forest here
Old November 10, 2002, 09:22   #29
twilight
Chieftain

ANother question. Is it possible to do give some Defensebonus to special units without manipulating the Defense values? I mean that the Spearman has a defense of 2 against all, but 4 against horsed units? Like in CivII "2x vs. horsemen" ?
Old November 10, 2002, 16:03   #30
Grungy
Civilization III Multiplayer
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by aahz_capone

I have one answer to that Randolph...

N U K U L A R - W E P O N Z ! ! !

MUH HA HA HAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAAAAA!!!

BAHHAHA HAHAHAAAAAAA!!!!
I guess that solves the horseman rush

Anyway Ive noticed when i nuke a city all it does is kill the population. And only damages the units, Umm well adirect hit from a ICBM you arent gonna be damaged!