Old November 16, 2002, 03:25   #61
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 02:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
bah!

I don't buy it. Maybe if your cities are tight together like you said that will work.

But my horses can skirt around those 1 move swordsmen/spearmen/archers/ and catapults. And knock out the road network.

It can only fail if in close quarters. If you put your cities close together you can defeat the horseman fairly easily.

Question for you all. Do you put your cities close together no matter what the terrain? Or do you mix and match trying to get the most bonus tiles in the radius?
Old November 17, 2002, 04:45   #62
Grungy
Civilization III Multiplayer
Settler

Local Time: 09:11
I try to stick my cities between 3 and 4 tiles apart, no matter what that way they dont over lap too mcuh but maybe 1 or 2 tiles
Old November 18, 2002, 10:55   #63
planetfall
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
bah!

Question for you all. Do you put your cities close together no matter what the terrain? Or do you mix and match trying to get the most bonus tiles in the radius?
Since you asked, it depends on the difficulty level and the terrain and the world map type. Generally I play with continents.

City layout at settler:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
cities 1-10: 5 tiles apart, 4 blank tiles separating

cities at borders and along coast: 5 tiles apart

rest of fillin cities: try for 5 tiles apart but adjust so every tile is covered, some overlap is better than a blank tile.

City layout at monarch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
cities 1-5: usually 5 tiles apart, sometimes 4 tiles

rest of cities 3-4 tiles apart.

Don't care about smaller base empire and being out citified by AI's. Key for me is to get a core production base and start building military.

City layout at emperor or diety
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't know havn't played there yet, but guess it would be first 5 cities 5 tiles apart and then expand with closely placed cities towards resources and luxuries.

I tried the "Borg" city placement for 4 cities once, but missed something. Didn't quite work for me.

== PF
Old November 18, 2002, 18:52   #64
Your.Master
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by aahz_capone
N U K U L A R - W E P O N Z ! ! !
I daresay that is the first ever example of a mispronounced written word -- not merely a typo or misspelling, but actual mispronounciation -- that I have ever seen. Bravo

High Lord of Good

You are unique, just like everybody else.
Old November 19, 2002, 05:43   #65
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I think he spelled it wrong too
Old November 19, 2002, 10:55   #66
twilight
Chieftain

No no, isn't spelled wrong. I think it's a tribute to the Simpsons, right?

Homer in the Navy?
Old November 20, 2002, 01:18   #67
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 04:11
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
bah!

I don't buy it. Maybe if your cities are tight together like you said that will work.

But my horses can skirt around those 1 move swordsmen/spearmen/archers/ and catapults. And knock out the road network.

It can only fail if in close quarters. If you put your cities close together you can defeat the horseman fairly easily.

I don't "borg" and I make networking road my first priority. I stack my forces in pockets no further apart than 10 tiles apart. (after I improve 3 -4 tiles at max i set worker to connect empire) Most of the location on my territory can be met with counterattack as soon as enemy sets their foot in.

If you just try to swing around and attack another part of my territory, using road I can pretty much keep up or even be there in advance.

footmen can cover 7X7 square with road network is done well. Pretty impressive for only movement of one under home road.. of course using mobile troop to defend makes it that much easier.

In addition, I beg to differ. I think mobile units shine when cities are clumped. Because cities are clumped the territorial line doesnt expand as far. and also if you capture a city, you will most likely be able to enter enemy terrain and attack a city without having to spend a turn or two dangerously awaiting counterattack. Sometimes I even settle a temporary city to push back enemy territory a little bit in order for mobile units to use its movement turn to maximum capacity or attack in one turn. So I think clumped is far better, you spend less time at enemy territory --> less turn of movement w/o road bonus, ---> less chance for counterattack

especially those cities that are space by two tile, those are just excellent target for 2 or 3 mov units. once one city is captured you can use the city as base of op to attack the other city in one turn with 3 mov unit. If your territory has road or railroad you can launch attack with 2 mov in one turn or 3 mov unit can attack and come back to your territory in one turn!

Last edited by Zero; November 20, 2002 at 01:30.