Old October 10, 2002, 07:36   #1
Kitschum
King

Local Time: 11:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Hearts of Iron - What's new?
Anyone who hasn't caught up? Thought you should now. Lots happening, lots of excitement!

A coupla new screenshots at the official page

And 10 more here (scroll down)

The AAR Forum (two German Beta AARs as of now)

I must say I love the look of the research system, but am still a bit anxious about things like AI, combat and atmosphere, things that don't really show up in the screenies and other info yet.

Cheers,
Old October 10, 2002, 09:23   #2
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 10:11
Yes I'm watching things on all the new Paradox game forums at the moment. Trying to run every aspect of WW II in "realtime" is making me apprehensive about whether it will be truly workable and enjoyable, but I really hope it turns out to be a triumph.
Old October 10, 2002, 13:05   #3
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 09:11
It's always nice to see a game that makes a conscious effort to put gameplay and strategic features ahead of graphics.
Looks very interesting.
Old October 19, 2002, 08:41   #4
August Borms
Prince

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters...560933,00.html

18 new screenshots, including 2 (almost) full views of Europe and North America!

I've been waiting for this kind of game since I played the WW2 scenario that came with Civ2 in 1996/7 and now it's almost here!!
Old October 19, 2002, 20:30   #5
Grumbold
Emperor

It looks like MOO3 and HoI are going to be appearing at almost exactly the same time. There goes any chance of building up my flexi time for Christmas
Old October 20, 2002, 08:01   #6
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

I haven't been following this at all: is this a WWII game with the EU engine?
Old October 20, 2002, 08:22   #7
Grumbold
Emperor

In short, yes. The engine has understandably been drastically overhauled to make it possible. 1936-1947 in "realtime" (one hour per 'tick') with province-level movement, diplomacy, resources and infrastructure, 500+ techs, combined arms warfare. The reports from the beta testers are looking very promising as they now work to get the AI and balance right.
Old October 20, 2002, 10:10   #8
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Sounds interesting, although the way excessive MM put me of EU rather quickly. I'm at loss about the diplomacy, though... I take it it's between the blocks and minor powers only? Wouldn't make too much sense having an French/German alliance in 1940, for instance.
Old October 20, 2002, 19:04   #9
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Where's the drool smilie?

The one thing I wonder though... is HoI2 going to be coming out shortly afterwards in the same way that EU2 came out afterwards?
Old October 21, 2002, 08:32   #10
Grumbold
Emperor

Getting the diplomacy right to allow the possible to happen occasionally without allowing the ridiculous is part of the challenge. Early AAR's saw some very large Axis coalitions. Germany has triggered off the war invading Czechoslovakia, Poland, or seen the Allies wait until the invasion of France. With luck there will be scenarios starting in 1939 or later making sure that if you want a "true" WWII you don't get derailed by early changes like the French drastically overhauling their command and control system or the Germans ignoring battleships to fit out their army in winter clothing.

I don't expect a HoI2 to come out in a hurry. EU1 was a pretty faithful attempt at producing the boardgame but with realtime movement. When that proved enormously popular it was worth Paradox's time to do a new improved version with all the extras fans wanted and they now knew was workable. All the new spinoffs (HoI, Crusader Kings, Rome etc) have the same fanbase. Money should be less tight too now that Paradox have two successful previous titles to show publishers. Then again, if they did announce one with more of everything I wouldn't complain. I know I'll get value for money out of them no matter how many they produce at yearly intervals
Old October 21, 2002, 12:36   #11
August Borms
Prince

Rome?
You don't mean Legion, do you?
Old October 21, 2002, 13:16   #12
Grumbold
Emperor

No they are/were going to do a Rome/Ancient game using the EU engine. To the best of my knowledge its still being planned. Since HoI is arriving this year and Crusader Kings next year, I'd expect it to appear in 2004 unless plans change (it may be the HoI teams' next project.) The current trend of Rome games from other companies - including Legion - may have been a factor in its delay. When they polled the EU forum members I'm pretty sure a Rome game came out top in the most wanted list.
Old October 21, 2002, 20:30   #13
Mordoch
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:11
Quote:
Originally posted by Grumbold
No they are/were going to do a Rome/Ancient game using the EU engine. To the best of my knowledge its still being planned. Since HoI is arriving this year and Crusader Kings next year, I'd expect it to appear in 2004 unless plans change (it may be the HoI teams' next project.) The current trend of Rome games from other companies - including Legion - may have been a factor in its delay. When they polled the EU forum members I'm pretty sure a Rome game came out top in the most wanted list.
Actually Legion WAS the the Rome game that Paradox made as a result of the poll. There was a post some time ago on the EU forum by a Paradox employee stating that they decided to make Legion their Rome based game while they worked on CK and HOI. Having said this, I'm uncertain what the next Paradox Entertainment game is going to be, and I'm one of the closed beta tester for HOI. (To save time, my response to any requests for insider info is that I can't say anything due to the NDA.) This means that a Rome game could be the next one to be released, but this is definately has not been specificly promised by Paradox.
Old October 22, 2002, 05:55   #14
Grumbold
Emperor

Hrm, okay. I don't think that Legion has done anything to sate the wishes of those who want to see an EU style game set in the ancient period. It was developed by Slitherine and was fundamentaly different (and not as good imho.) Hopefully Paradox will do a proper job eventually but I take your warning about not expecting it to be next in line. The next time I spot a poll, I know what I'll be voting for

Happy beta testing, and hope to see an AAR from you soon