Old October 11, 2002, 19:24   #91
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 03:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Saint Marcus

Paris certainly tops NYC. easy. no comparison possible.
Under what criteria? In terms of museums, libraries, music centers, cinema, TV, clubs, galleries, so forth and so on? The Lourve and Met are both incredible yes, but overall, how many museaums does Paris have? New York easily has 40, from huge ones (the Met is the worlds largest) to tiny ones. Then there are galleries, then Libraries (if the three NYC public library systems were combined, it would have 40 million volumes, without counting private and research library systems), Performing Art centers, so forth and so on. I do not doubt that Paris a a glorious cultural center, but I must say Marky Mark that you show no comprehension of the immensity of NYC and of all that it offers. So, I must respectfully scoff at your ignorant statment.

Quote:
Yes. In both Amsterdam and Rotterdam, 50% of the population comes from another country.
Well, thats fine then.

Question: How large is the Amsterdam metropolitan area?
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old October 11, 2002, 20:01   #92
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 10:13
I would like to visit NYC, I haven't had the opportunity to do so yet.

Can culture only be culture if it is hundreds of years old. New York has had a major impact on the world, is distinctive. It is one city I would like to visit probably more than all others, so I can certainly say that it must have culture, or something equivalent that acts as a draw

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 11, 2002, 20:07   #93
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 09:13
NYC Cultlure = The Sex Museum

Old October 11, 2002, 20:10   #94
GePap
Emperor

For $17 for attendance, it hardly will do.

Heck, you can get into the Met for free, and there are plnenty of naked women in there.....
Old October 11, 2002, 20:12   #95
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
For $17 for attendance, it hardly will do.

Heck, you can get into the Met for free, and there are plnenty of naked women in there.....

Speaking of which...I just told a friend of mine that I was planning to move to NYC (I gotta move out of Utah, and NYC was on the list) and this is what he/she had to say:

"I was born in Buffalo...its a great city, but NYC sucks. It worse than chicago x 3 the people are rude and loud, the city is filthy with trash and litter. They don't have outside dumpsters, people put their trash on the street for the garbage trucks, and they don't always wait until trash day. Not to mention its immensly crowed, crime is ramped. The arts are nice, and the tourist places, but the real city where peeps live, is not as it looks on TV."

Any comments?
Old October 11, 2002, 20:24   #96
GePap
Emperor

Yes!

In terms of crime, Chicago is actually a more violent city (and I was there for 4 years) then NYC. I agree with the dirty part- NYC is dirty, since we don't have alleys to hide our trash in. It is also far more crowded, but unlike in chicago, our city has a nightlife, and most neighborhoods, even the most out of the way oens, ahe good, and many times, rather cheap, restaurants and so. The transportation system is incredible, no need for a car (too expensive in the city), and one can always get bargains, if one tries.
For example: a movie in Manhattan costs you $10. In Queens or Brooklyn, $6.50 to $7.50. So, if you really want to save 3 bucks (assuming you would have to pay the $3 in subway there and back anyway), then spend half an hour in the subway and go to Queens or Booklyn, instead of downtown.

I live in a residentil neighboorhood in Northern manhattan, 30-45 minutes by subway from Midtown, downtown. In 10 minutes walking distance I have:
1 indian, 1 Chinese, 1 Salvadorean, 1 Dominican, 2 yuppie, restaurants, many more cheap eats, a Starbucks and McD's , several laundries, several supermarkets, groceries, hardware stores, clothing stores, banks, several churches, far more synagoges, yeshivas, middle schools, a historic Revolutionary war battlefield, a french Monastry brought piece by piece to NY, so forth and so on, and this in a quiet, not well known neighborhood. indn;t know any place in chicago that could compare.
Old October 11, 2002, 21:28   #97
CyberGnu
King

GePap, exactly. I'd rather be homeless in New York than have a mansion in Indiana.
Old October 11, 2002, 21:53   #98
XarXo
Prince

34. (tie) Barcelona, Catalonia

34. Atlanta, Georgia

34. Chicago, Illinois

34. Lexington, Kentucky

34. Miami, Florida

39. (tie) Cleveland, Ohio

39. Houston, Texas

39. Los Angeles, California

39. Minneapolis, Minnesota

39. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

44. (tie) Hong Kong, China

44. Lisbon, Portugal

44. Madrid, Spain

44. London, England

44. San Francisco, California

49. Seattle, Washington

50. (tie) Singapore

50. Manchester, England

52. (tie) Dublin, Ireland

52. New York, New York
Old October 12, 2002, 00:21   #99
Kramerman
Prince

Of all the cities Ive ever been, New York City is by far my favorite. I was there a few years ago and was fascinated by the soaring skyline and great sites to see, tho it was kinda expensive to be there. I had a fascination with the architecture tho, especially with the WTC. They were so massive! I took some great pictures with my brother from just across the river in New Jersey where we posed with the towers in the background so it looked like we were holding them... *sigh* good times, good times...
It was also great going to Ellis Island to see where my ancestors came through, and found their names on the wall where all the names of all those who passed through there are engraved. It was really a great experience and I cant wait to go back. Im seriously considering New York University just because I love that area so much.

Kman
Old October 12, 2002, 01:46   #100
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 05:13
Quote:
pop culture is culture too, huh?
Of course... Beethoven was pop culture at one time too.

And Chicago has just about the same culture as NY, GePap. Many people prefer it to NYC. Personally, I can't stand the city. B-O-R-I-N-G.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old October 12, 2002, 02:58   #101
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

"Paris certainly tops NYC. easy. no comparison possible."

Perhaps in 1900 Paris was the center for creation of new culture and art, but this all changed from the 10s to the 20s.
Dude, don't mess with me on this, I wrote a 14 page paper all about this!

"And my city is tied for tops in the US."
*cough* Boston *cough*
BOSTON RULES!!!
Ya!
Albert Speer
Old October 12, 2002, 03:19   #102
Kaak
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

ummm...that is a list of best cities for "expatriots" to live in...

anyway...how dallas didn't make the list, i'll never know...

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."
Old October 12, 2002, 04:16   #103
MOBIUS
Emperor

Local Time: 19:13
Speaking from experience, I am living in Sydney, I lived in Wellington for 3 years and I grew up in London...

of these three I would rank Sydney first, Wellington second and London third on liveability - just the same as the list!

I would also state that I far preferred visiting Boston than New York - just as the list!

And I also have to say that I would far prefer living in London than living in New York - just like the list!

Don't get me wrong, NY is indeed a spectacular city in many ways - but it's disadvantages seem worse than those of London and as for culture and history, compared to London, NY is still in it's nappies...

Now, does that mean I will stay here in Sydney to live - or move to Melbourne?

Nope, sorry but Australia is still the arse end of nowhere compared to living in Europe with it's amazing cultural diversity at your fingertips - frankly I miss my £50 flights to so much of Europe. I did London to Venice, Nice, Rome and Amsterdam for £50 all in just a few hours a while back!

Also, everything in Australia is so, new... And let's face it - your average Aussie is a pretty unsophisticated sort...

Sorry.
Old October 12, 2002, 05:13   #104
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Boston, we've got the rock, we've got the roll, we've got a friendly liberal city just across the river, and a museum of science on the river.
Albert Speer
Old October 12, 2002, 05:26   #105
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 17:13
Yeah, and you are famous for beans
Old October 12, 2002, 05:30   #106
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

*sigh*
Not just any beans though. Seriously boston baked beans ARE delicious. We're not famous for them, we are KNOWN for them, there's a huge difference. We're famous for our driving, sense of coolness, great quality of life, great history, great social scene and on and on…
Albert Speer
Old October 12, 2002, 06:28   #107
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 17:13
Well known, famous, same difference.

I am not sure about the great history part. Maybe for the US. See this Ming* vase here. Now that's history.

* Refers to the Ming dynasty, not to our esteemed mod.
Old October 12, 2002, 07:14   #108
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Quote:
New York easily has 40, from huge ones (the Met is the worlds largest) to tiny ones.
quantity is no replacement for quality.

Quote:
I do not doubt that Paris a a glorious cultural center, but I must say Marky Mark that you show no comprehension of the immensity of NYC and of all that it offers. So, I must respectfully scoff at your ignorant statment.
I have never met a single person who thinks New York is the world's cultural capital. It is a magnificent city, no question about that, but you honestly believe New York is culturally more important than cities like Paris or Rome (or a good number of others too), and that is just incomprehensable.

Quote:
Well, thats fine then.

Question: How large is the Amsterdam metropolitan area?
in square miles, or in population? The Amsterdam metropolitan area holds about 1.2 million people. Ditto for Rotterdam. Yes, far far less than New York or London, but that wasn't the issue. Your claim that hardly any (big) city in the world has such a diverse population (40% being from abroad) is of course absurd. Holland's two biggest cities can top that claim easily, and no doubt the same goes for lots of other cities in the world.
Old October 12, 2002, 07:17   #109
Saint Marcus
King

on museums:

Quote:
New York easily has 40
A list of 42 museums in Paris:

http://www.paris-tourism.com/museums/
Old October 12, 2002, 07:29   #110
Saint Marcus
King

I found at least 90(!!!) in Rome...

Quote:
NYC Cultlure = The Sex Museum
You have those here too.
Old October 12, 2002, 07:34   #111
Saint Marcus
King

Quote:
Perhaps in 1900 Paris was the center for creation of new culture and art, but this all changed from the 10s to the 20s.
Culture isn't limited to new art. Athens has a lot of culture, yet doesn't produce as much nowadays. Has to do with history in this case. (and that's something New York also doesn't have).
Old October 12, 2002, 08:20   #112
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Define 'culture'...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 12, 2002, 10:15   #113
Saint Marcus
King

nobody here does. GePap started saying New York was the world's cultural capital. The arguments he gave were the quantity of museums and stuff like that, and the Statue of Libery. Well, 40-some museums isn't a big deal (Rome has at least 90), and the Statue of Liberty is just one important building in the world. But so is the Eiffel Tower, or the Big Ben.

Anyway, from the dictionary:

cul·ture [ kúlchr ]
noun (plural cul·tures)

1. the arts collectively: art, music, literature, and related intellectual activities. Culture is necessary for a healthy society.

2. knowledge and sophistication: enlightenment and sophistication acquired through education and exposure to the arts. They are people of culture.

3. shared beliefs and values of a group: the beliefs, customs, practices, and social behavior of a particular nation or people Southeast Asian culture

4. people with shared beliefs and practices: a group of people whose shared beliefs and practices identify the particular place, class, or time to which they belong

5. shared attitudes: a particular set of attitudes that characterizes a group of people The company tries hard to avoid a blame culture.

6. growing biological material in special conditions: the growing of biological material, especially plants, microorganisms, or animal tissue, in a nutrient substance in specially controlled conditions for scientific, medical, or commercial purposes

7. biology biological material grown in special conditions: biological material, especially plants, microorganisms, or animal tissue, grown in a nutrient substance culture medium in specially controlled conditions for scientific, medical, or commercial purposes

8. tillage: the cultivation of the land or soil in preparation for growing crops or plants

9. improvement: the development of a skill or expertise through training or education physical culture

transitive verb (past cul·tured, past participle cul·tured, present participle cul·tur·ing, 3rd person present singular cul·tures)

1. grow in special conditions: to grow biological material, especially plants, microorganisms, or animal tissue, in a nutrient substance in specially controlled conditions, for scientific, medical, or commercial purposes

2. agriculture cultivate: to cultivate plants or crops

[13th century. Via French from Latin cultura tillage, from cult , the past participle stem of colere to inhabit, cultivate, worship. Originally in Englishpiece of tilled land.]