Old October 11, 2002, 09:14   #1
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 19:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Super Nintendo Entertainment System Memorial
The Super Nintendo may be my favorite gaming system of all time. It had a great variety of games and a simple interface. Additionally, most of its lifespan was before the era when games were expected to be super-realistic and were allowed to be simple, clean fun (I'm sure there are some who would gripe about the fact that Yoshi's tongue attack can reach through bricks).

My only regret is that there were some games that I never got to play on their native system, such as Chrono Trigger, Yoshi's Island, and Final Fantasy IV. I would have been perfectly happy with another three years of Super Nintendo. But the big money and 3-D graphics called, and its time is up. The last game rolled off the assembly line years ago, but the fun will never be forgotten, and will live again every time I load up Donkey Kong Country.
Old October 11, 2002, 09:50   #2
PCRefugee
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:14
Hmm. you've got a point about ultra-realistic games. Me, I play games to escape from reality. I still have happy memories of days gone by, but time and tide, as they say, waits for no man. SNES has had its day but, like other consoles and comps, will be kept alive by a dedicated few(I still have an ATARI ST and a Lynx).
Old October 11, 2002, 10:22   #3
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 10:14
I don't care about realism in cartoon-esque games such as Mario. The whole concept is foreign so why not the gameplay.

I'd care about realism in games that claimed to be based on reality, alternate history or such. I always got miffed in the SNES version of SimCity when you could build a Megalopolis without ever building roads.

My favourite SNES game was Probotector. That was fun.
Old October 11, 2002, 13:20   #4
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 04:14
I still have my NES, SNES and old skool grey GB!

I still play my NES and SNES games.

I got pretty much everything for the SNES. The Gun, the mouse, and the Super Game Boy.

Then I got a computer and never bought any of these new console systems. I love editing my games, so being a modder, I don't want to wast my money on games I can edit.

Some of my fav SNES games:

Super Mario World
Super Mario Kart
Star Fox
Jurrasic Park
EVO: The Search for Eden
Stunt Race FX
Super Metroid
Donky Kong Country
Killer Instict
Zelda
Crono Trigger
Illusion of Gaia
Secret of Mana
Yoshi Island
Super Mario All-Stars

I got about a Dozen more that I think of right now.
Old October 11, 2002, 16:32   #5
yaroslav
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

My neighnour had a SNES, and I enjoy it!

We played hours and hours to

- Super Mario World
- Super Mario All Stars
- FX Zero
- Street Figther

NES was a good system!
Old October 12, 2002, 13:32   #6
pg
Prince

snes was my favorite console by far. hell, the only reason i still am interested in consoles is because i'm still hoping they'll be as great as the snes again. snes had a huge range of good games. it was really the only time i played the console more than the pc.

i think a lot of snes's success came from the fact it only had 1 competitor, and it was at an era when graphics were basically not the selling point. sure good gfx were important but in reality the gfx difference between snes games was minimal. they ended up spending more time on gameplay than gfx, unlike today were you have to spend massive effort on gfx, and gameplay seems an after thought in most games.

i always think of games like this - gameplay, content, and graphics. many games now have very simple gameplay with most of the effort spent on lots of content with great gfx. a good example is morrowind, i don't think it has much gameplay at all. tons of content, and good gfx, but in reality the gameplay is so simple and has no dynamics in it. gameplay is something like quake or civ, back and forth competition with things you can learn and improve your skill as you gain experience from playing or just using your brain to think of new tactics/strategy/etc.
Old October 12, 2002, 14:16   #7
Footie Mad
Prince

Killler Instinct was wicked, which was the best character? My two favourites would definetly be Fulgore and Jago, but I always hated facing Eyedol (sp?) and his endless combos.
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Old October 12, 2002, 15:01   #8
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 03:14
I've started getting back into my SNES emulator and playing through Chrono Trigger again. I forgot just how good of a system it was.
Old October 12, 2002, 16:52   #9
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Wille
Killler Instinct was wicked, which was the best character? My two favourites would definetly be Fulgore and Jago, but I always hated facing Eyedol (sp?) and his endless combos.

Spinal... his combos were easy for me and rocked hard, the next choice would be Saberwolf. Fulgore was cool, but hard to pull off combos.
Old October 12, 2002, 17:04   #10
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by pg
snes was my favorite console by far. hell, the only reason i still am interested in consoles is because i'm still hoping they'll be as great as the snes again. snes had a huge range of good games. it was really the only time i played the console more than the pc.
I was going to get the NU64, but I got a pc, so there was no reason. That and I hated the controler.

Quote:
i think a lot of snes's success came from the fact it only had 1 competitor, and it was at an era when graphics were basically not the selling point. sure good gfx were important but in reality the gfx difference between snes games was minimal. they ended up spending more time on gameplay than gfx, unlike today were you have to spend massive effort on gfx, and gameplay seems an after thought in most games.
And I LMAO when I heard Sega tanked in the consule buisness. I totaly agree with your last part. Most games today try to pull off fancy graphics that suck anyway and cut down gameplay for in game stories and scripted events.

Quote:
i always think of games like this - gameplay, content, and graphics. many games now have very simple gameplay with most of the effort spent on lots of content with great gfx. a good example is morrowind, i don't think it has much gameplay at all. tons of content, and good gfx, but in reality the gameplay is so simple and has no dynamics in it. gameplay is something like quake or civ, back and forth competition with things you can learn and improve your skill as you gain experience from playing or just using your brain to think of new tactics/strategy/etc.
Gameplay, replay value and conent are my big three. Graphics mean NOTHING to me.

I disagree with your example of MW. Most FPS games today have better looking graphics, animation and texturing then MW. MW sufferes from massive clipping. HOWEVER, because of it's wide variety of ways to play it, replay value is very high. I fail to see how you were able to compare MW to quake or civ. Neither are RPGs. Quake is basicly a "floating gun" FPS, and Civ is a War/Stragity game (of course, I know some people here that think otherwise ). I'm not busting your chops or anything I just fail to see it? Becareful how you reply to me... Dargoth Ur is my friend.
Old October 12, 2002, 21:42   #11
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 19:14
I liked Spinal and Riptor in the first Killer Instinct game, but they took the latter out for Gold! But I always did best as Fulgore.

My favorite SNES games were Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country. The later DKC games were good, but they just lacked that intangible something extra (maybe something to do with Donkey not being in them?). After those two, Mario Kart, Mario All-Stars, and Pilotwings were cool.

Last edited by Mr. President; October 13, 2002 at 07:16.
Old October 13, 2002, 06:44   #12
Footie Mad
Prince

Oh yeah Mariokart is a multiplayer classic, as for most crappy character in KI my vote goes to Thunder.
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Old October 14, 2002, 04:48   #13
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 05:14
I am in the perfect age group for digital gaming. My first console was the Atari 2600 at the age of around 6. I can't tell you how many hours I spent at the local K-mart with my best friend stealing transformers and using the demo NES to play Mario, Excite Bike, and Kung Fu.

By the time I was in high school, I had already spent many hours playing Mario 2 and 3, Zelda: link to the past, and one of my all time favorites- Populous, my introduction to RTS.

Once I had moved out on my own, buying a N64 and 27inch TV for it and playing Zelda:Ocarina of Time and Mario64 was how I entered manhood.

But then I decided to get a PC, mostly just so I could play the much improved Simcity2000 (having played Simcity on NES, I wanted to continue my city building career), but found that games like X-wing vs. TIE fighter, Age of Empires, Soul Reaver, and QuakeIII were just more suitable to my tastes.

I do have an SNES emulator though :P
Old October 15, 2002, 01:10   #14
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 23:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Master Blaster
Adventures of Little Nemo
River City Ransom
Shinobi
Ninja Gaiden

....true works of art.

DuckTales->the soundtrack kicked buttocks!
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old October 15, 2002, 15:53   #15
Thrawn05
King

Bubble Bobble!

Now that was the best NES game!
Old October 16, 2002, 07:42   #16
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

super mario karts is without doubt the beat ever racing game.

I just loved ghost tracks
Old October 17, 2002, 01:47   #17
CapitanGarlic
NationStates
Prince

Local Time: 02:14
Mmm...SNES...

Many an hour I logged on that thing, and many more on my emulator. It's great to be able to play some of those Japanese games never released in the states that have been patched (Romancing Saga 3, Tales of Phantasia, Gun Hazard, to name but a few).

Always liked Jago in Killer instinct. But another great game would have to be Metal Warriors -- Mech combat, 2-D side view. Great game to beat up your friends with...
Old October 17, 2002, 08:27   #18
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Mariokart was great fun. After a while only the time trials were worth the effort though - multiplayer got a bit stale and GPs were being won by miles.
Old October 17, 2002, 17:44   #19
pg
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn05
I disagree with your example of MW. Most FPS games today have better looking graphics, animation and texturing then MW.
most do have better gfx, but there is a simple thing that lets fps games trump mw easily in gameplay - multiplayer. human competition adds countless hours to replayability. even the most simple games are taken to exponential levels when given multiplayer. quake1 through 3 have bad single player. however, if you have a fps w/ co-op like doom then you another huge increase in replay value.

Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn05 HOWEVER, because of it's wide variety of ways to play it, replay value is very high.
i disagree totally. mw is an illusion. there are many ways to play but 95% of them are pretty pointless. mw is about massive content, and beautiful gfx to drown out your senses and make you think it has great gameplay. even compared to an mmorpg it doesn't stand up well. just by playing smart you can abuse the system horribly, and greatly reduce the total number of ways to play it. i hope you don't counter w/ "but you have to play a certain way to have fun" as that means you admit the gameplay is broken. mw is all about combat, the whole game revolves around it. mw's combat is simple though, which is it's downfall. there are many ways to fight but only a few very effective means to.

even mw's content is misleading. they marketed the game as do anything you want but in reality it's - there are a thousand quests and each quest has a few ways at best to complete it. so it's choose whatever quest you want, not do any quest anyway you want. which is a huge difference. even then most the quests are sort of pointless since by the time you've done a decent amount of quests your character should be such a high level and have an abundance of good equipment that the remaining quests are so easy as to be not worth completing.

Quote:
I fail to see how you were able to compare MW to quake or civ. Neither are RPGs. Quake is basicly a "floating gun" FPS, and Civ is a War/Stragity game (of course, I know some people here that think otherwise ). I'm not busting your chops or anything I just fail to see it? Becareful how you reply to me... Dargoth Ur is my friend.
i compare them on the basis of them both being games, and their sole purpose to be fun. even if neither quake or civ is your favorite type of game you have to admit both have many more permutations that are actually worth experiencing(since they serve a purpose) than mw does. mw is a good game though and i'm happy i bought it. it just doesn't have the virtually unlimited replayability that say quake 3 or civ has.

here's a mw thread i wrote long ago along these same lines sorta - http://www.elderscrolls.com/ubbthrea...b=5&o=2&fpart=

Last edited by pg; October 17, 2002 at 17:57.
Old October 18, 2002, 20:24   #20
Thrawn05
King

I can see PG, that this is going to go ugily, and neither you or I are going to win by convincing the other. So drop it. If you really want to continue, start another thread. I shouldn't have encouraged a respones by not responding to you.
Old October 18, 2002, 21:27   #21
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

F-Zero was probably the best game i played for snes, i recently played Super Metroid on an emulator too, now THERES a game! I was a Sega kid myself though, up until Dreamcast *spit* I think i had more fun playing Ski Jump on Spectrum.
Old October 19, 2002, 14:29   #22
pg
Prince

actually that's all i had to say believe it or not...
Old October 19, 2002, 14:45   #23
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Some of my fav SNES games:

Super Mario World
Super Mario Kart
Star Fox
Jurrasic Park
EVO: The Search for Eden
Stunt Race FX
Super Metroid
Donky Kong Country
Killer Instict
Zelda
Crono Trigger
Illusion of Gaia
Secret of Mana
Yoshi Island
Super Mario All-Stars
Thrawn has extremely good taste.
I agree with all and would add:

Final Fantasy II-Probably the first game I bought, played through many, many times.
Nhl199xcan't remember which i played, but played them for hours.
the Star Wars games were quite fun.

Mana was definately one of my favorites.
Old October 21, 2002, 22:21   #24
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel

Thrawn has extremely good taste.
I agree with all and would add:

Final Fantasy II-Probably the first game I bought, played through many, many times.
Nhl199xcan't remember which i played, but played them for hours.
the Star Wars games were quite fun.

Mana was definately one of my favorites.
Why thank you. I never got around to FF games.

Most of the games on that list I actualy have.
Old October 22, 2002, 06:05   #25
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 05:14
Skimming through here again...

I don't even WANT to know how we got on the subject of Morrowind.

Which I love btw.
Old October 22, 2002, 07:07   #26
The Pioneer
Prince

I never owned an SNES but I enjoyed one for a long time at my host family's house. I still cherish some of the games but my biggest affair was with the Sega system in the early 90's.

So long...
Old October 22, 2002, 10:23   #27
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Pioneer
I never owned an SNES but I enjoyed one for a long time at my host family's house. I still cherish some of the games but my biggest affair was with the Sega system in the early 90's.

So long...
Sega- Get out of this thread, heathen
Old October 22, 2002, 23:21   #28
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Anunikoba
I don't even WANT to know how we got on the subject of Morrowind.
I wonder myself.

I think 99% of all SNES games rocked, the only ones that sucked were Mario Missing and mario's Time machine. What a load of garbage. Good thing I only rented them.
Old October 22, 2002, 23:24   #29
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by The Pioneer

So long...
Mario or Sonic......?

Mario stomps Sonic.
Old October 23, 2002, 03:45   #30
pg
Prince

there are a lot of little known snes games that are quite good. maybe i'll make a list soon(w/ links where to dl the roms of course)...