Old October 15, 2002, 23:30   #31
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Solomyr
alright, but here is the question i have for you guys: i have never gotten into a nuke war, how the heck are you guys doing it. but the modern age i have at least a 2 tech lead, and my i rock everyone when it comes to production. are y'all playing at deity, is that why it is some competitive? i hear about these great games, and i am over here getting bored at the monarch level
I have only been nuked once on emp and that was because I played conquest and they were running out of options. I did not nuke back and finished my SDI. I have picked up games where others had used nukes by the tons. I would guess it is an advanced production game or most wins types are off, forcing late game play.
Old October 15, 2002, 23:38   #32
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:14
Actually when I play, I like to keep the computer opponents strong. I regularly invade nations, and gift their cities to other countries to reinforce their power. Why you ask? Because things would be too easy if I didn't. =P In my current game, I have nearly 100 ICBMs...yes I said 100, and many many tactical nukes in subs right off the coast of almost every major city. I could easily wipe my neighbors off the map, but I find, part of the fun is interaction with other nations.
Old October 16, 2002, 00:09   #33
ThaddeusAlexander
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by HazieDaVampire
i cant wait to nuke the **** out of sombody on-line! I always have a super nuke arsenal! I can usualy wipe out my enemy 2 times over, and destroy all of the world useful citys leaving just the city places with 3 pop points! Then i can run my little NBC troops around and let them clean up the mess for me!

I WANT TO PUSH THAT DARN RED BUTTON!
Good luck, but I'll be hitting that little continue button on the "You have achieved a Cultural Victory" button long before you know what a nuke is

Cheers
~Thadalex
Old October 16, 2002, 00:19   #34
Chieftain

A cultural victory in a MP game I think will be the 2nd hardest victory to pull off (besides UN). All someone has to do to prevent you from winning by culture, is have lil over half of yours. And by the typical human's playing style, I doubt anyone trying to get HALF of anyone's culture will encounter much hardship. =P Sorry to rain on your parade. =)
Old October 16, 2002, 00:50   #35
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Single city cultural victory is not subject to the 1/2 cultural value preclusion.
Old October 16, 2002, 00:57   #36
ThaddeusAlexander
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by 1
A cultural victory in a MP game I think will be the 2nd hardest victory to pull off (besides UN). All someone has to do to prevent you from winning by culture, is have lil over half of yours. And by the typical human's playing style, I doubt anyone trying to get HALF of anyone's culture will encounter much hardship. =P Sorry to rain on your parade. =)
I don't expect to win by 100k culture and 50% over everyone else, i expect to win by 20k in one city which is quite easy to come by in my capitol ... with double culture after 1000 years and the speed of date/turn early in the game means even those cheap temples will produce 4 per turn and libraries a nice 6 and by the time I usually win, my capitol is producing over 100 culture a turn and has been for quite some time ...

I don't have any worries but I can't be too confident that I'll always win, just like you can't be too confident that I'll always lose since neither of us has actually played yet All I know is culture is the easiest way to win with my strategy..

Cheers
~Thadalex
Old October 16, 2002, 03:36   #37
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:14
I would not be surprised to see culture disabled as win in MP games. If it is not people will have to smash others capitals to stop the 20K win and it could get ugly.
Old October 16, 2002, 08:27   #38
Tattila the Hun
King

Local Time: 12:14
What are the pre-requisities for ai's nuclear attack? I've had civ's with nukes being decimatet by my conventional forces, with couple of the last cities having 4-6 ICBM's, and still not using them?

So I bribe England to war with France with ivory and silk, and in the next round England (polite) declares war on me, and takes two undefended cities. Too much of a temptation?
Old October 16, 2002, 09:13   #39
problem_child
Warlord

Local Time: 09:14
Quote:
Originally posted by 1
Actually when I play, I like to keep the computer opponents strong. I regularly invade nations, and gift their cities to other countries to reinforce their power. Why you ask? Because things would be too easy if I didn't. =P In my current game, I have nearly 100 ICBMs...yes I said 100, and many many tactical nukes in subs right off the coast of almost every major city. I could easily wipe my neighbors off the map, but I find, part of the fun is interaction with other nations.
Ahh, Nation Building I done some of that. I know what you mean about having a more entertaining game with lots of other reasonably powerful Civs around too- what's the point if there is nobody to dominate, bully, extort, manipulate, bankroll, threaten, proxy-war or compete with?

The first time I did nation building though was a strategic nessesity, I had just fought a war against the Azteqis (as I like to call em) in the north of this large continent, and to the south of me was a region of a weakened America (once also a burgeoning empire before my slappin down of em) and Greece, Babylon and Persia.

Persia was going imperialistic and I didn't want them to get too powerful down there, so when Persia declared war on me, with much of my cavalry still bogged down holding what was once Azteqi Land in the North, and a dire shortage of riflemen- I decided to use cavalry strike tactics to destroy Persian units and break their supply lines (roads) and give the cities I captured over to Greece (cities the Greeks had formerly lost) meaning I didn't have to now go hold the south too with my over-stretched infantry, or have the cavalry getting tied down doing a defensive job it's not really good for.

So, Greece was rebuilt and gracious towards me (Egypt) and was getting bankrolled with generous sums of Egyptian money (lump sums and per turnly payments) as one of my client states, to fight a proxy war against the Persians, resisting their further northward expansion so I did'nt have to.

The vast South remained undominated by any emergent regional superpowers to rival Egypt. The main reason I did it though was becouse Greece at one time was reduced to only one city- I had been sure they were gonna get kicked out of the game, but somehow- all by themselves, they clawed their way back to four or five cities, I couldn't let such gutsy underdoggedness go without a little helping hand.

-I.
Old October 21, 2002, 11:34   #40
problem_child
Warlord

Local Time: 09:14
^b 4 fun.

-I.