Old October 11, 2002, 11:33   #1
Laertes
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 09:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Rheims - Can we flip it?
As there has been a lot of discussion about flipping, I thought I would raise the question about the French city of Rheims, sitting in the middle of the booming province of Ile de Rose.

It seems to be in quite good shape, culturally speaking, but our expansion has just pushed our borders up against Rheims' on the sw corner, along the river.

My suggestion is that we move the settler building in Chartres onto the jungle tile s.sw.sw of Rheims, and see what the proposed borders of a new city would look like. It we could steal some tiles, including a nice river/shield/grassland, Rheims would suddenly look vulnerable.

We may have other plans for Rheims, the settler etc, but I thoiught we could discuss it.
Old October 11, 2002, 11:50   #2
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 11:14
IMHO the settler should found a city between Washington and Boston. We can culturally press France from where we're standing, and it will flip just like Chartres did.
We can make this process faster by rushing cultural buildings throughout our land to increase our total cultural value and further increase our chances to flip Chartres.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old October 11, 2002, 11:55   #3
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Yeah I'd say were better off going for the old US cities. We can probably take most of the tiles if we act fast.
Old October 11, 2002, 11:57   #4
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 04:14
Re: Rheims - Can we flip it?
Quote:
Originally posted by Fergus Horkan
My suggestion is that we move the settler building in Chartres onto the jungle tile s.sw.sw of Rheims, and see what the proposed borders of a new city would look like. It we could steal some tiles, including a nice river/shield/grassland, Rheims would suddenly look vulnerable.
That settler was ordered built by GF so Chartres could be disbanded and moved 1 tile southwest to rebuild Chartres as a coastal city. Frankly, I fully agree with those orders and while they may have changed, I certainly think the original orders to move the city are what should be done...
Old October 11, 2002, 12:02   #5
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 03:14
Re: Re: Rheims - Can we flip it?
Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos

That settler was ordered built by GF so Chartres could be disbanded and moved 1 tile southwest to rebuild Chartres as a coastal city. Frankly, I fully agree with those orders and while they may have changed, I certainly think the original orders to move the city are what should be done...
They have not changed and that is what the settler from Chartres will do.

There is already a settler enroute through Gaia for the Washington/Chicago site.

Rheims is already being bombarded by Macross City and further construction of cultural improvements in Opium would put more pressure.
Old October 11, 2002, 12:34   #6
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I agree with GF and others:

Under current city positions:

Rheims will flip under current city positions under a reasonable time period, and so will that Greek city.

Boston should flip to us as well.

Washington has a very low chance of fliping to us before Boston does.

Chicago can't flip to us right now.

The new city between Washington & Chicago though will add a lot of cultural pressure to Washington and Chicago and could result in Washington flipping before Boston. Once this occurs the other flips quickly. Some time later Chicago flips.
Old October 11, 2002, 12:58   #7
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I second that.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old October 11, 2002, 13:36   #8
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Rhiems will flip to us eventualy.

We control 5 of the 21 tiles in its city radius and the French are in awe of our culture. I would think it will flip to us sometime in the next two or three turnchats.

We control 6 of the 21 tiles of Mycenae (that geek city) city radius, but it will take longer to flip as the geeks are only "impressed" with our culture and it is not surrounded by us.

A city inbetween Chicago and Washington would be Ideal (not to mention, that would give me ANOTHER city to play god for )
Old October 11, 2002, 13:46   #9
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by donegeal
(not to mention, that would give me ANOTHER city to play god for )
Forgot about that, send that settler to Uber.
Old October 11, 2002, 14:13   #10
Donegeal
Emperor

Your pretty funny (looking)!

Old October 11, 2002, 14:55   #11
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

I think we should use boom toon for a settler on uber, and would that complete tyhe isleand for us.
Aggie
Old October 11, 2002, 15:33   #12
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Aggie
I think we should use boom toon for a settler on uber, and would that complete tyhe isleand for us.
Aggie
Okay, I think I understand it has something to do with Boomtown but where is Tyre Island?
Old October 11, 2002, 16:50   #13
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 05:14
I see any new relevant info I could add to this discussion has been added, thus I will simply post to say I have seen it.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old October 11, 2002, 17:14   #14
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GodKing
I see any new relevant info I could add to this discussion has been added, thus I will simply post to say I have seen it.
Seen what? "boom toon" or "Tyre Island"?
Old October 11, 2002, 18:28   #15
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb

Seen what? "boom toon" or "Tyre Island"?
Darn typo's, though looking back "boom toon " could be a reference to the Jessica Rabbit leaderhead.
Aggie
Old October 11, 2002, 21:25   #16
zeit
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 10:14
Will cutting the road connection of Rheims to the french capital make flipping easier?
Old October 12, 2002, 04:16   #17
Shiber
Emperor

No, but it will increase the corruption and waste they experience slightly. Good thinking though!
- Phantom of the Opera
Old October 12, 2002, 13:52   #18
Aggie
King

But cutting the road would decrease there production and make them unable to upgrade units if they get a barracks in rheims.
Aggie
Old October 12, 2002, 14:15   #19
Shiber
Emperor

I didn't think of that. Good point.

Edit: we'll have to cut a lot of roads though. IIRC we are connected to Rheims in 3 spots. This will also force us to divert a group of workers from more important tasks to rebuild these roads later.
- Phantom of the Opera

Last edited by Shiber; October 12, 2002 at 14:28.
Old October 13, 2002, 15:36   #20
zeit
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 10:14
I didn't say we should do it, in fact, i think we shouldn't as this won't help it flip, we could take Rheims and the units scattered around it fairly quickly, when the time for war comes. I am sure Aggie is drools by the very thought of crushing the surrounded forces around Rheims...

Take no prisoners!!!
Old October 13, 2002, 16:50   #21
Donegeal
Emperor

By looking on the map, we would have to cut the roads on tiles 3 and 13 of Marcoss City (and France has a warrior FOTIFIED on our tile!). We would also have to cut the road on tile 20 of Port Rogue.

In order for us to even try this, we are going to have to tell the Frenchies to get off our land.